Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

First Impressions?

I can't tell you how often I shake the cobwebs out of my head and start a paragraph over when I'm reading a Thursday Next novel. Sometimes for the sheer delight of it, and sometimes because the twists are so Escher-esque, I have to get my bearings and take another look simply to make sense of it!

I'd love to hear how you're handling the transition from ordinary reality into the First Among Sequels!
Contributor
jenniferK
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions?

I find I have to re-read paragraphs myself too, especially when it comes to Thursday bouncing from the real world to the book world. Especially with the "real world" being as unique as it is in the Thursday Next series. I found with some chapters I had to go back to read the title to orintate myself better.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

To borrow a line from Spike: "Wierd ****" (all TN fans know what that is)

Which is probably the best way to sum up the Thursday Next and Nursery Crime series, but all that wierdness really works. And it works unbelievably well. I am constantly backing up, re-reading, laughing hysterically and going "Oh, no, he didn't!" The novels also follow some of the "rules" of the Bookworld which is wonderful (I howled with laughter during Something Rotten where Emperor Zhark appears twice at the end of successive chapters because his contract specifies two appearances). This is a series to read over and over and over....

rkubie wrote:
I can't tell you how often I shake the cobwebs out of my head and start a paragraph over when I'm reading a Thursday Next novel. Sometimes for the sheer delight of it, and sometimes because the twists are so Escher-esque, I have to get my bearings and take another look simply to make sense of it!

I'd love to hear how you're handling the transition from ordinary reality into the First Among Sequels!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
New User
Kini
0 Kudos

I'm glad I'm not alone in the re-reading of paragraphs and trying to wrap my brain around some of the story. I put off starting FAS until I knew I could be completely alone in a quiet house, because I know I have to pay attention more with Jasper's work than anything else I read! Isn't that a wonderful thing? Getting back into the rhythms of the writing didn't take as long as I thought, and I'd forgotten how much I enjoy Thursday's oddball worlds, both in and out of fiction.

First impressions of FAS: I'm only through chapter 17, since this was my first free weekend since purchasing the book (on opening day, which seems very long ago!), but I'm already enjoying Tuesday. Anyone who has dealt with a 16 year old boy, whether their own child or someone else's, can appreciate how he's written. Nail meet head. Or is it head meet nail? Anyway, I'm already anticipating how he fits into everything. I have a suspicion about him and another relative, but I won't speculate in this thread.

~ Kini
Contributor
Abbynorm
0 Kudos

Once again Jasper hasn't failed to deliver the play-on-words & references to classic/popular literature, social references. I would have liked to have more scenes with Spike and Cheshire Cat - maybe in the NextNext novel. I too reread because I wonder if I've missed a reference to one of the classic or a play-on-words. Hopefully, we'll get a few hints along the way. I don't want to get too verbose since some of you may not have finished the book & I don't want to spoil it.
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

So, I started the book back in July, and have since finished it. For me, it was three years since I was in Thursday's world. And I remember when I started reading that bit in the beginning between Thursday and Landen about stupidity deficit that I was thinking, "Oh yeah, now I remember what these books are like." And I was just grinning from ear to ear. Returning to Thursday's world just felt so familiar and comfortable and entertaining. It wasn't until I started reading FAS that I realized just how much I'd missed visiting.
Susan
Please welcome our newest community members: