Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Please introduce yourselves!

Please use this space to tell us something about you! Are you new to the series? When did you fist get hooked on Thursday Next?
New User
rastewar
0 Kudos

Re: Please introduce yourselves!

Hello - I read The Eyre Affair with a book group several years ago and of course we all loved it. I've read all the sequels and also the Nursery crimes books. I also was lucky enough to attend a reading by Mr. Fforde a few years back, and he is terribly funny in person, too. My daughter was in England this summer and the only thing I asked her to bring back was the British edition of First Among Sequels, which came out there in early July. She was very pleased to hand me the book on her return!
New User
robyn221
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi!

My name is Robyn and I live in south Louisiana, about 150 miles west of New Orleans. My husband & I discovered Thursday and The Eyre Affair on CD on a long trip by car to Florida. We have been big fans of the books and Mr. Fforde's since. We were terribly disappointed to have missed Mr. Fforde's appearance in New Orleans when Big Over Easy came out. We hope that you will swing back by again very soon.

Thanks!

Robyn

Message Edited by robyn221 on 09-04-2007 11:12 AM
Frequent Contributor
songgirl7
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Sarah. I just discovered Thursday earlier this year while browsing at my local B&N. I thought The Eyre Affair looked quirky and different and interesting, and I love Jane Eyre, so I picked it up and was hooked right away. I went out and got the rest of the series and both Nursery Crimes, and I was in B&N bright and early when First Among Sequels was released. Since then I have told all my bibliophile friends about the books as well.

I love the wordplay, the obscure references, and the idea that the Book World lives on even when I'm not reading.
See what I'm reading now: Goodreads.com

"I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop the standing, and the walking and the putting-words-into-sentences doing."
Contributor
jenniferK
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Jennnifer. I actually was introduce to the Thursday Next series through B&N. They had "The Eyre Affair" in a newsletter about authors you should check out and I thought it sounded interesting, ever since then I have been hooked. I have read all the Thursday Next and Nursery Crime books, hard for me to choose which series I like best. I have the good fortune to work in an office that has three book stores with in walking distance, so anytime a new book comes out I am there on my lunch break with a big smile.
New User
Kini
0 Kudos

Hi, all. I've been a TN fan since the beginning. A friend picked up TEA when wandering in a bookstore one day, read it, loved it, and raved to everyone she knew about it. I think everyone she told hooked at least two other people on it, and we've all kept up with the series.

I thoroughly enjoy the cleverness of TN (and the Nursery Crime books, too) and find myself often wondering if a line was made up by Jasper or I should recognize it from some classi I read many years ago . . . or never at all. The best things about the books are there are things that surprise me (something more and more difficult to do, I find), they make me think (I keep going back to the concept of GSD, among other things), and I laugh out loud at a lot of things.

Fun reads, interesting ideas, and surreal goings-on. What's not to like? :-)

~ Kini
Contributor
ronincats
0 Kudos

My name is Rhonda. I have lived in San Diego for the last 30 years but am originally from central Kansas. I am an avid reader of science fiction and fantasy, and have been for over 45 years. I also do cats and gardens. I encountered The Eyre Affair soon after its publication, but I don't recall who recommended it to me. I've always been a big Jane Eyre fan, so loved the interplay between the book plot and the larger context. I've bought and read everything Mr. Fforde has produced since.
Frequent Contributor
marlohill
0 Kudos

Marlo Hill from Orlando, Florida

I just turned forty last weekend and live and play in Orlando, Florida. Like the rest of you, I am a big Jasper Fforde fan. I am looking forward to reading this latest book and everyone's posts. My mother did a Barnes and Noble class of the Big Over Easy with Jasper Fforde and she says that we can look forward to some really great posts from him.
ronincats, I love cats and gardens also and have too many cats and a very cluttered garden! :smileyhappy:
Contributor
purplepaigeturner
0 Kudos

Hi ! My name is Paige Bennett but I answer to Paige Turner.For those of you who are new to the World of Thursday Next Paige Turner is a character in the first two books in the series. I was first introduced to Thursday in a face to face book group and it was love at first site. I have since read the entire series many times and have read the Nursery Crimes also. I have never read anything that gets me the way Jasper Fforde books do.I my self would love to live in Thursday's world.
I had the honor of meeting Jasper Ffrode in July when he was in Washington, D.C. on tour. He is as delightful and as much fun as his books. This is my first B&N Book Group. So please be kind.
paige turner
New User
JeannieB360
0 Kudos

I've been a Jasper Fforde fan since The Eyre Affair came out in the United States, and I've read all the books. I bought FAS a couple of days ago and finished it last night, and I'm looking forward to this discussion group. This is my first time in a BN book club.

Jasper Fforde reminds me very much of Douglas Adams!
Frequent Contributor
songgirl7
0 Kudos

purplepaigeturner wrote:
I my self would love to live in Thursday's world.

I love the books too, but couldn't live in Thursday's world. I love cheese too much! I couldn't stand to have it banned! LOL

"I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop the standing, and the walking and the putting-words-into-sentences doing."
Contributor
Abbynorm
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Abbynorm (a play-on-words nickname my sister gave me - think of the movie Young Frankenstein). I've read all Jasper's books except the 4th Bear which I will get to soon. I just finished 1st Among Sequels last night - love them all and rave about them to my coworkers & friends so my copies are well used. Once they finish their respective novels that I've lent them we are going to submit our photo for NextExtreme 2007 if we having missed the deadline date. I live in Montreal and I think I could round up an audience to two if Mr. Fforde would stop here on his Next book tour. I've just been introduced to B&N bookclubs so I have regretably missed out on previous discussions of the TN & Nursery Crime series. I notice that many of you are cat owners/lovers. I have just recently got 2 male kittens. One I've named Frodo and the other is still nameless - I have been racking my brain to find a quirky name & thought of the TN/Nursery Crime books. Does anyone have any suggestions? I look forward to these discussions.
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Susan, and I'm a 38-year-old graduate school administrator and freelance editor living in San Francisco with a cat named Weasel.

I was introduced to Jasper's work before it was even published. All those years ago the trades were abuzz about The Eyre Affair, and I purchased it upon publication. And for the first few years I had to buy import copies of the British releases. I'm glad the release dates are much closer together these days!

I'm more a fan of the Next books than the Nursery Crimes novels, but have to admit that I'm saving The Fourth Bear for a rainy day. (It's so good to have an unread book by a favorite author lying around the house for when you need it.)
Susan
0 Kudos

Hi all, I'm Fran. I got a bit of a late start, but I've been reading the Next series since the cover of TEA caught my eye on the bookstore shelf. Bought it, read it, went back the next day and bought the next two, already in paperback. Then patiently awaited Something Rotten, (Hamlet is one of my favorite WS plays, so I really got a kick out of the Prince in that one). I went to one of Jasper's book signings in Dayton last year for The Fourth Bear, and he really is quite funny and charming in person, too. Otherwise, I'm a bookbinder on the side (of a day job which pays for the bookbinding, hee) and if those people who love to garden could come and help me with mine, I'd really appreciate it!
New User
joyousday77
0 Kudos

My name is Erin and I am a SAHM and a Creative Memories Consultant. I found out about Mr. Fforde when I was working at B&N. I was getting off from work and noticed the book on the "Discover New Writers" bay. Well, I have been hooked ever since. I have told everyone about TEA. Something funny: This lady came into the store and said she was looking for something for her 18 yr. old grand-daughter. So, of course I took her over to the fiction section and showed her the Jasper Fforde books. I summarize TEA and TBOE. She looks me straight in the face and says, "I am looking for adult books".
Contributor
purplepaigeturner
0 Kudos

Abbynorm wrote:
Hi I'm Abbynorm (a play-on-words nickname my sister gave me - think of the movie Young Frankenstein). I've read all Jasper's books except the 4th Bear which I will get to soon. I just finished 1st Among Sequels last night - love them all and rave about them to my coworkers & friends so my copies are well used. Once they finish their respective novels that I've lent them we are going to submit our photo for NextExtreme 2007 if we having missed the deadline date. I live in Montreal and I think I could round up an audience to two if Mr. Fforde would stop here on his Next book tour. I've just been introduced to B&N bookclubs so I have regretably missed out on previous discussions of the TN & Nursery Crime series. I notice that many of you are cat owners/lovers. I have just recently got 2 male kittens. One I've named Frodo and the other is still nameless - I have been racking my brain to find a quirky name & thought of the TN/Nursery Crime books. Does anyone have any suggestions? I look forward to these discussions.

Abbynorm: I love Young Frankenstein and think of Abbynorm everytime I hear the word abnormal.
I am a dog person (small dogs) not a cat person, but how about naming your new cat Pickwick? Pickwick (Dodo) is one of my favorite characters. Let me know what you do name the nameless one.
paige turner
Frequent Contributor
songgirl7
0 Kudos

Off-topic: I was fortunate enough to see Young Frankenstein: The Musical during its preview run in Seattle. It was amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone who'll be in NYC during its Broadway run.

I'm also a dog person. :smileyhappy: Possible names for your cat, though, could be: Pickwick, Mycroft, Stigg, Spike, Jack (as in Spratt), etc...

Reader
bookbabe56
0 Kudos

I discovered Thursday at a book fair held at my school a few years ago. "Lost in a Good Book" seemed just off-beat enough to try, and I've never regretted picking it up. As soon as I finished it, I went out looking for "The Eyre Affair", and went through the rest of the series as they came out. I am not much of a joiner of clubs, but I love this series and haven't been able to find other readers who appreciate this kind of humor. I'm enjoying reading the other posts in the discussion as much as the books.
Reader
bookbabe56
0 Kudos

Young Frankenstein the Musical

So glad to hear YF the Musical is good as I just ordered tickets to it for late Dec. in NYC (I live in the Hudson Valley). It isn't yet in previews here so I hadn't heard much about it.
New User
robyn221
0 Kudos

purplepaigeturner wrote:

Abbynorm wrote:
Hi I have just recently got 2 male kittens. One I've named Frodo and the other is still nameless - I have been racking my brain to find a quirky name & thought of the TN/Nursery Crime books. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Abbynorm: I am a dog person (small dogs) not a cat person, but how about naming your new cat Pickwick? Pickwick (Dodo) is one of my favorite characters. Let me know what you do name the nameless one.

For what it's worth, I vote for Mycroft. He was always one of my favorite characters.

Robyn
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 241 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: