Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Time and Text Travel

In what ways would it be dangerous to tamper with the words of a classic text? And what are the dangers of tampering with time? Are there ways the two might the two be compared?

And, more lightly, what classics would you protect? Any you would gladly toss out to be rewritten. (Yes, this is an audience participation-type quiz.)
Contributor
craftimoose
0 Kudos

Re: Time and Text Travel

rkubie wrote:
In what ways would it be dangerous to tamper with the words of a classic text? And what are the dangers of tampering with time? Are there ways the two might the two be compared?

And, more lightly, what classics would you protect? Any you would gladly toss out to be rewritten. (Yes, this is an audience participation-type quiz.)

1. The dangers of tampering with words of a classic text: As everyone interprets books differently, I'm sure the words on the page are mentally tampered with by each person who reads them. However, one change of phrase can make a character we love to hate a misunderstood one. It can change the meaning of the whole story.

2. The dangers of tampering with time and are there ways the two might be compared: Time and literature are linked together by cause and effect. Change one second in time and a whole plethora of things could happen...the same goes for books.

3. Classics I would protect: Midsummer Night's Dream has a pretty great ending (although Oberon ended up with the changeling child...hmmm). I love Jane Eyre, Much Ado About Nothing and Pride and Prejudice, so those have to stay....oh, if I had time, I could come up with quite the list.

4. Toss out to be rewritten: Tess of the D'Urbervilles would be my first choice for a redo. WHAT AN ENDING! Some books are boring. Some are morbid and depressing, but this one just gets under my skin and rankles me!
Frequent Contributor
songgirl7
0 Kudos

I think the main problem with tampering with published text is that the book, its characters and events, were created by the author. The author's original intentions should be honored. This is also something that bugs me about unauthorized sequels like Scarlett or Mrs. Darcy. The stories continue in a way the authors did not originally intend.

Messing with time travel is similar because if one believes in God's will, or in fate, or in destiny, as the "author" of our life stories, then changing history is in the same way changing the "author's" original intent.
See what I'm reading now: Goodreads.com

"I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop the standing, and the walking and the putting-words-into-sentences doing."
Reader
bookbabe56
0 Kudos

Answering very lightly and quickly: protect Austen, rewrite much of Dickens, especially David Copperfield!
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 667 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: