Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Thank you Javier!

Javier,

I wanted to thank you for joining us here and educating us so well! It's been a real pleasure "meeting" you here, and I'm excited to see what you'll write next. I'll never forget the Blue Lady, or your angel and her red shoes.
Stephanie
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Re: Thank you Javier!

Javier-------I want to add my thanks too. You gave us wonderful background information and answered all of our questions. I enjoyed reading The Lady in Blue. What will your next book be? Thank you for this great discuission opportunity with you. Thank you also Stephanie.
Librarian
Author
Javier-Sierra
0 Kudos

Dear Stephanie,
Dear Librarian,
Dear all,

Thank you for your comments and questions. I have enjoyed very much all of them, and I wish to "see" you again soon. I am working right now on my next novel, but it will be not ready till late next year. Be patient!

Let me share with you this great article published in The Santa Fe/New Mexican about my book:

The Santa Fe New Mexican (New Mexico)
August 19, 2007 Sunday

SUNDAY; Pg. SU-18
591 words

THE PERFECT BOOK FOR SANTA FE
ROBERT MAYER
A LITTLE TWEAKING OF HISTORY NEEDED, BUT THAT'S A SMALL CONCERN

THE LADY IN BLUE
By Javier Sierra
Atria Books
342 pages, $25.95

If there were such a creature as the absolutely median Santa Fe reader, here is what his or her perfect book might contain: A beautiful, ephemeral spiritual figure called The Lady in Blue, who might be an incarnation of the Virgin Mary, or might be a miraculous nun bilocating here from Spain.
Young Indian men in central New Mexico who are astonished by the visitation in 1629 of this beautiful, airborne apparition. Supreme joy among the Indian tribe when the lady tells them that white men will soon appear among them bringing a new religion, which is far superior to their old tribal gods.
Priests who arrive from Spain to convert the Indians to Christianity, and are astonished to hear that the Blue Lady has preceded them -- and that the tribal members already are worshipping wooden crosses.
Two journalists in contemporary Spain who are researching the history of a 17th-century nun alleged to have been able to bilocate -- to appear in two places at once.
A super-secret project being conducted jointly by the Vatican and the U.S. Defense Department to create a machine, using sound frequencies, that will enable a sensitive subject to go back in time and watch history unfold as it is happening.
A contemporary American woman who has been part of that secret program, and is now seeing a psychiatrist in California because she keeps having strange dreams about the past.
An old manuscript written by a Spanish priest and given to the Spanish king that has a habit of being stolen. One of the priests working on the secret project hurling himself to his death out a fourth-story window.
Indian tribe after tribe in New Mexico happily and instantly converting to the new religion as they welcome more and more Spanish priests.
Do those elements grab you? Are you about to rush to your computer and churn out a Hispanic DaVinci Code? Well, you're too late. This perfect book for the median Santa Fe reader has already been written. The author is a Spanish writer, Javier Sierra. The book is called, as you might have guessed, The Lady in Blue.
So. Is this Sierra fellow going to get super rich and famous, like Dan Brown, author of The DaVinci Code? Not a chance. Sierra writes much too well.
But, like Brown, he does take some liberties with history. Such as, why are the Indians of New Mexico so eager to drop their time-honored religions in favor of this new white church? Didn't they actually resist the missionary priests, doing such things as throwing a few of them off the cliffs at Acoma? Didn't many of them make a pretense of converting, while secretly retaining their old tribal ways?
Well, the author might assure us, some of them did and some of them didn't. You writes your manuscript and you takes your choice. In one sentence out of 342 pages, he concedes that the Franciscan priests "were well aware that it had not always been so easy, and that the progress the Church made in the New World had been paid for in blood."
So much for religious strife. The serious bloodshed is in someone else's book. Sierra's tale is a mostly nonviolent miraculous read, until the names of all the priests involved get a bit confusing toward the end.
In a brief afterword, the author tells us that the 17th century part of the story is based on actual events -- and he names names.
Now if only that time machine worked, we could go back and see for ourselves.

Robert Mayer
Mayer, a longtime Santa Fean, is the author of nine books.

-----------

All best wishes,
Javier.

Learn more about The Lady in Blue.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Thank you, Javier, for coming to B&N and sharing your story with us. The Blue Lady has definitely spoken to me with your voice. A very enlightening tale, to be sure.

I wish you much success with this novel, as well as with all of your adventures in writing.
Best to you!

Sincerely,
Kathy S.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Javier,

What an excellent article! I think he did a fine job articulating your novel- something I don't think I could have accomplished at all. I'm glad he didn't mention angels - I would hate to have that spoiled for new readers.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 20 members 768 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: