Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

Re: Barney and boxing today

Televise competitive fights - if this is true how dare they to discriminate against jewish fighters. ANTISEMITISM!!!

I don’t know how many times I have to raise this point. Each year, you tell the media, “We intend to dig our feet in a little more on mismatches and not give in to promoters, managers, and fighters who don’t want to take a risk (2007) . . . This year, if a fighter wants to be on HBO, we’ll expect him to go in tough (2008).” Then, year after year, you televise mismatches.

Too often in recent years, the formula for Boxing After Dark has been putting a potential star in a non-competitive fight. For World Championship Boxing, it’s putting a star you’re building for pay-per-view in a non-competitive fight. One denizen of the boxing world said recently that your slogan should be changed to “HBO: Building belt holders one mismatch at a time.”

CBS and Fox don’t determine which teams play each other in the National Football League. ESPN doesn’t make up the schedule for Major League Baseball. But in many instances, HBO determines who fights whom. You’re starting off reasonably well in 2009. Kudos for that. But overall, your matchmaking has been poor and there are fears that you’ll revert to form.

College football is popular; right? Did you notice the way ABC and ESPN programmed their prime-time Saturday night games this past autumn? They chose the MOST COMPETITIVE games available among the elite teams; not Oklahoma against Chattanooga.

HBO’s subscribers want boxing. They just don’t want the mismatches that you keep force-feeding them.

Am I exaggerating? Let’s run some numbers.

Last year, World Championship Boxing (your flagship offering) televised fights with odds like 12-to-1, 15-to-1, and 18-to-1.

In the final quarter of 2008, HBO televised nine fights on World Championship Boxing and Boxing After Dark. Eight of those fights were mismatches going in. And the public knew they were mismatches, as evidenced by the one-sided odds. The favorite won all nine of those fights.

Okay; now we get to the really embarrassing part. In nine fights, do you know how many ROUNDS the underdog won?

Take a guess . . . No; guess again . . . Lower . . .

In nine fights on HBO World Championship Boxing and Boxing After Dark in the final quarter of 2008, the underdog won a total of FIVE ROUNDS.

Five rounds out of sixty-four rounds in nine fights. That’s not boxing. That’s paying to watch guys get beaten up.

I don’t quote Gary Shaw often. But Gary said something worth quoting in November. HBO had just put Brian Vera on World Championship Boxing against James Kirkland (one of Shaw’s former fighters). Vera was happy to be there. He was a club fighter on HBO. Courageous? Yes. Big heart? Yes. But he had zero chance of winning.

“Where are the standards,” Shaw asked, “if we’re putting a Brian Vera on World Championship Boxing?”

HBO is capable of making competitive fights, even under difficult circumstances. One of the best fights you made in 2007 was Kelly Pavlik against Edison Miranda as part of a double-header. It wasn’t easy. Jermain Taylor (promoted by Lou DiBella) fought Cory Spinks (a Don King fighter) in the main event. Pavlik was promoted by Bob Arum; Miranda by Warriors Boxing. But you wanted Pavlik-Miranda; you refused to take an alternative; and you got what you wanted. Not only was Pavlik-Miranda an exciting fight; it lay the groundwork for Kelly’s rise to the undisputed middleweight championship of the world. And because of the way the deal was structured, no one had to engage in the all-too-common grotesque practice of giving a promoter options on someone else’s fighter to get a date on HBO.

It’s not rocket science. Buy competitive fights.

Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

Televise competitive fights - if this is true how dare they to discriminate against jewish fighters. ANTISEMITISM!!!
P.S. it's almost official, e.g., HBO Latino - jewish fighters are being discriminated. There no place for
jewish fighters on HBO, right director of programming...?

HBO is only for spanish fighters. Jewish fighters - no =

antisemitism!!!

Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

Spanish director banes elite jewish fighters from Boxing After Dark. He aires garbage instead. Read Thomas Houser article.
Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

Hillel's 2008 Year in Review

Most Clicked Male: Dimitriy Salita

At 5-foot-9 and 140 pounds, this mild-mannered observant Jew from
Brooklyn hardly seems like a threat. But Ukrainian-born boxer Dmitriy
Salita remains undefeated in the ring and is ranked #2 in the world in
his weightclass. His profile, which appeared in the May edition of
Hillel Campus Report, received the most clicks of any male newsmaker in

"People are attracted to what I represent in the ring," says Salita.
"People are not used to seeing a Jewish person being something other
than a lawyer or a doctor."

P.S. Salita doesn't fight on HBO because of two men, two antisemites - who will rather promote an opponent for Klitchko than a jewish world champion.

Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

It's not HBO. Top people on HBO are
not aware of antisemitism that's taking place against Salita. The one guy who is definitely responsible is programing director. He is also a friend of Oscar De La Hoya. Both are antisemites, here is why. De La Hoya claimed "I beat the best jew out of Harward", - reffering to Bob Arum, who made him the Golden Boy literally. Remember, Dante's Divine Comedy? The biggest sin is unthankfulness. Oscar De La Hoya is unthankful antisemite.  So, actions speaks louder than words Oscar's antisemite friend also beats jew in his own way, not giving him fights on HBO. Even against top opposition?  Is it because Salita has less than 70% of loosing...?
Here is a good solution, let's see if Oscar can beat a jew in the ring, which brings us to Salita Vs De La Hoya
Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

Antisemitism and corruption in boxing

Why do you think Oscar De La Hoya gets so many dates on HBO? Because his best friend is director of programing, Oscar got him a job. And Oscar gets dates on HBO in return.

That's why there is no place for jewish fighter on HBO. 

Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

Spanish fighters are the most protected fighters in boxing not jewish. 1. De La Hoya fought guys from lower weight classes, even Paquio - the problemo is it doesn't work anymore for Oscar. 2. It works for Chavez Jr. 3. HBO Latino, is there HBO for jewish fighters? They are not even scheduled on HBO occassionaly. Antisemitism? Yes, of course. So, who is protected fighters? Jewish? I don't think so. Spanish definetely!!! Spanish writers antisemites - 80% Jewish writers antilatino - of course not. Jewish TV executives discriminate against spanish fighters? Of course not. Spanish TV executives discriminate against jewish fighters? Definetely.
Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

As long as this guy is a programing director Dmitriy Salita will never fight on HBO.

Fighting antisemitism is up to jewish people - it's about time to start write petitions to HBO, and to Anti-Defamation League. The antisemite stays on Dmitriy Salita's way, jewish americans should show protest to discrimination of jewish athlete by spanish executive. 

Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

Young corrupted antisemite hates Dmitriy Salita. Do you want to know who this guy is?

Jewish as well as non jewish people wonder why Dmitriy Salita doesn't fight on HBO? Thomas Hauser recently cryticized HBO in two back to back articles. All kind of garbage gets on HBO, which results in low ratings. Dmitriy Salita's rating on MSG was so high, it was only second to Mets. Documentary "Orthodox Stance" has a high rating on IMDB. Dmitriy Salita was 2008 highest clicked man on hillel.org. Still, he can't get on HBO. Why? Because of the young antisemite in his thirties. This young antisemite hates Salita so much - he will never let him fight on HBO. Unless jewish people protest, we can't afford to be abused, not in America.
I will not tolerate antisemitism in any form - I will speak publicly about it. I will stand up for my people.

Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

As long as Big Antisemite works for HBO, Dmitriy Salita won't get a fight on HBO. Antisemite will make sure Dmitriy Salita doesn't get a fight on HBO!!!
Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

On HBO you will see uknown guys from Russia, Africa, Ukraine, Asia, Philipines but you are not

gonna see jewish fighter Dmitriy Salita. Why? Because of one individual antisemite who hates Dmitriy Salita to the bone. 

Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

he 5-foot-9, 139-pound Salita has already shown he has the talent, the heart, the mind and the work ethic to be the best in the world.

Jewish and living in Odessa, Ukraine, Salita said, "I knew we were Jewish, but I really didn't know what it meant.It was like my father would go to the central synagogue for matzoh during Passover."

Outside the home, it was different.Salita and his family knew anti-Semitism firsthand.From his first days in school, he was taunted and teased and worse.The kids would call him Zhid or other anti-Semitic slurs.

But he was a fighter, and he fought back.

P.S. The antisemite who doesn't let Dmitriy Salita to fight on HBO is much worse than "The kids who would call him Zhid or other anti-Semitic slurs."

He doesn't call Salita Zhid but his actions speak better than words. He turned down Salita Vs Gavin Reyes, Salita Vs Paul Mallignaggie, Salita Vs Kotelnik to name a few and a lot of other fights. He told Salita, "We are not (HBO) gonna walk extra mile for you because you are not Spanis. You are not our market. We can give fights against spanish fighters but the odds are gonna be against you 70%"

Well the moment jewish kid put on a gloves - the odds were against him. It's ok guy give Dmitriy Salita fights with the odds against him. Dmitriy Salita will beat the odds!!! G-d willing! AM ISRAEL HAI!!! Amen!!! We want Moshiach now!!!

Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

“Each fighter on the card is in a position to make a statement very early in 2009,’’ said Luis Barragan, director of programming for HBO Sports.

P.S. Why you don't let Dmitriy Salita to make a statement? 

Frequent Contributor
AntisemitismInBoxing
0 Kudos

Yesterday I watched Lewis Collazo Vs Berto on HBO. Lenox Lewis openly cheered, rooted, supported Berto. They are both black, Haitians, Jamaicans whatever.

Max Kellerman didn't cheered for Dmitriy Salita, he put him down and went too far doing this.

The rationale behind Max Kellerman is simple - just because I and Salita are both jewish I'm not gonna cheer for him, I'm gonna show to people and my bosses on HBO that I'm objective

commentator. He wasn't objective, he over played himself, he went too far. For instance, he said "I'm not gonna recognize Salita as a world champion even if he wins a title." He didn't explain why. Because there 4 sanctioning bodies... Will he recognize other champions...? and only won't recognize Salita?

It is politically not correct any more for a jew to support, or at least wish well to another jew.

It's ok for blacks and hispanics to help and be nice to each other, but when it comes to jews like Max Kellerman it's another story. Kellerman wants to show his loyalty to HBO even if he has to put another jew down. You can't say he is antisemite because he is a jew.

But he knows it, and therefore he acts like antisemite because how can somebody accuse a jew in antisemitism...?

But this phenomenon is described well in literature and in history. Joseph Flavius is a perfect  example. Some people will do whatever it takes to survive, to make a career. Acclaimed russian/jewish author Anatoliy Ribakov created a character of Joseph in his book Heavy Sand. Joseph surved the Nazis. Max Kellerman should know all those things he was history major at Columbia University.

Dmitriy Salita follows the footsteps of Joseph from the bible. Max Kellerman follows the footsteps of Joseph from Heavy Sand. That's when it comes to contemporary history. Remember what John Kennedy said, "It's not what your country did for you, it's what you did for your country." Dmitriy Salita is a great role model to jewish people, he was invited to White House his achievements are recognized. He fought a very good fight against Campos, and commentators from Europe's Setanta TV praised him, they are not jewish - they objective professionals from Great Britain without any bias, prejudice and antisemitism. When Margaret Tatcher was asked why there no antisemitism in England, she responded "We don't think jews are smarter than us."

P.S. Yesterday Luis Collazo was robbed, he clearly won the fight.Why Kellerman didn't cryticize Berto?

Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 616 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: