Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
vicchaiken
0 Kudos

New Holocaust Book from iuniverse.com Is Outstanding

The new book, as of this writing, Remember Us: From my shtetl through the Holocaust, about Martin Small, a 92 year old survivor and written by Vic Shayne, is outstanding. It reads like a novel and does not get bogged down in the gruesome details that you find too often in such books. This book gives you insight into the prewar years of the shtetl and Small's amazing journey from Poland to Austria to Italy to Israel, back to Italy and more. The author's website is vicshayne.com but the book is available from iuniverse.com, amazon.com and I suppose many other outlets.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: New Holocaust Book from iuniverse.com Is Outstanding

another good read is "On Hitler's Mountain", by Irmgard Hunt. have you read it?
twj

vicchaiken wrote:
The new book, as of this writing, Remember Us: From my shtetl through the Holocaust, about Martin Small, a 92 year old survivor and written by Vic Shayne, is outstanding. It reads like a novel and does not get bogged down in the gruesome details that you find too often in such books. This book gives you insight into the prewar years of the shtetl and Small's amazing journey from Poland to Austria to Italy to Israel, back to Italy and more. The author's website is vicshayne.com but the book is available from iuniverse.com, amazon.com and I suppose many other outlets.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: New Holocaust Book from iuniverse.com Is Outstanding

has anyone read "a pigeon and a boy"?
twj
New User
vicchaiken
0 Kudos

On Remember Us by Vic Shayne

I have read the book On Hitler's Mountain. It was an interesting perspective. The book I'm referring to was written by a Holocaust survivor without the typical gore of such books. The Hitler's Mountain book was interesting because of the insider's view of Nazi Germany. Here is that author's website: http://www.onhitlersmountain.com/

The author's website for Remember Us is here: vicshayne.com

I've read probably fifty or more survivor memoirs over the last 35 years or so.

One of the best books I've ever read, though, was Fugitive Pieces. There is a Holocaust theme but the book is poetic genius.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: On Remember Us by Vic Shayne

did you know fugitive pieces was also a movie? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765451/
i have added both of your suggestions to my wish list for my next book purchases.
twj

vicchaiken wrote:
I have read the book On Hitler's Mountain. It was an interesting perspective. The book I'm referring to was written by a Holocaust survivor without the typical gore of such books. The Hitler's Mountain book was interesting because of the insider's view of Nazi Germany. Here is that author's website: http://www.onhitlersmountain.com/

The author's website for Remember Us is here: vicshayne.com

I've read probably fifty or more survivor memoirs over the last 35 years or so.

One of the best books I've ever read, though, was Fugitive Pieces. There is a Holocaust theme but the book is poetic genius.

Rahel
0 Kudos

A Pigeon and a Boy

thewanderingjew wrote:
twj

Dear TWJ,
Sorry that I've been a bit MIA and didn't see your post for a while. I LOVED A Pigeon and a Boy. It's an absolutely gorgeous book, tells a story of Israel's War of Independence from a completely different perspective. Have you read it? I strongly, strongly recommend it!
Best,
Rahel
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: A Pigeon and a Boy

[ Edited ]
i did read a pigeon and a boy and i loved it. i recommended it to a friend of mine who told me it was the only time she read a book that made her cry. i guess i am more emotional, i have read several that have moved me to tears.
i think i already asked this on another site but i haven't had an answer so here it goes again....has anyone read the boy in striped pajamas? i know it is a book for young adults but i think anyone could read it, in the same way as the book thief is for a larger audience. it can be read in one day because it is short but i thought it had an amazing message. i don't want to say anything about it because it is better to come to it without any former knowledge. you must read it right to the end to get the full impact.
twj

Rahel wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:
twj

Dear TWJ,
Sorry that I've been a bit MIA and didn't see your post for a while. I LOVED A Pigeon and a Boy. It's an absolutely gorgeous book, tells a story of Israel's War of Independence from a completely different perspective. Have you read it? I strongly, strongly recommend it!
Best,
Rahel

Message Edited by thewanderingjew on 07-17-2008 11:40 PM

Message Edited by thewanderingjew on 07-17-2008 11:42 PM
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 1,111 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: