Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rahel
0 Kudos

Questions for Adam Kirsch

Dear Adam and readers,

First of all, sorry to have been out of touch for so long. I went away for an extended long weekend to visit family, and although I thought I would have access to a computer there, I ended up with login troubles. So my apologies for that.

Now, back to Disraeli. As we enter the last official week of the book club, I wanted to give everyone an opportunity to ask Adam any questions they may have, so here is our "Questions for Adam Kirsch" thread.

I'll start off with my question:

Traveling through airports this weekend, I couldn't help but notice that every celebrity magazine had President-elect Obama and is family on the cover. It seems like people who might feel uncomfortable about his race are very much soothed by his very normal family. And so I was wondering about how Disraeli's public viewed his very unorthodox life. It seems like, coming from a different background than his constituents, he might have done better to alley their fears with a more traditional family. But he was a success nonetheless. Were citizens less obsessed with the private lives of their politicians then? And even if they were, Disraeli through his books made his private obsessions very public indeed. How did the public deal with Disraeli as a Conservative leader with a very unusual life?

Rahel 

Rahel
www.nextbook.org
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 712 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: