Contributor
margoolio
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi I am Megan.

I decided that I needed to broaden my range of different types of books so I picked up this one. So far I am finding it fascinating. I have never managed to get through all of the Bible so at times I am a little lost but I am enjoying the story of David.
New User
penguins
0 Kudos

Hello I am Amanda. I am getting the book and will begin reading it soon. I joined this discussion to find people with my similar interests who will help me to better understand Judaism. I am currently reading several novels on the subject. I have an open mind and would like to discuss the novels I read with other people to get their opinions and comments. I would love to hear what other people have to say on this subject.
~Amanda~
Frequent Contributor
marcialou
0 Kudos

Welcome Megan and Amanda. I haven't read the whole Bible either and probably wouldn't have read much of it if it weren't for discussion groups like this one. I read the Gospels for the first time last summmer in another B&N group.

The Community Conversation thread is a good place to discuss things like novels. What are you reading, Amanda?

Marcia
Rahel
0 Kudos

Hi, Megan
Welcome to the book club. What part of the book are you up to? If you want to read the corresponding part of the bible, the David story basically runs from chapter 16 of the First book of Samuel, through all of Second Samuel, and into chapter 2 of Kings. But you should feel free to participate here without having read all that -- it certainly isn't required! And feel free to ask questions -- there are threads already started for several of the major characters, or you can post on the "Questions for Robert Pinsky" thread or start your own.
Enjoy your reading and we look forward to hearing from you.
Rahel
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
Rahel
0 Kudos

Hi, Amanda.
Welcome to the book club. We look forward to hearing more from you as you get into the book. As Marcia suggested, the "Community Conversations" thread is a great place to discuss the novels you've been reading -- there are many wonderful Jewish books out there. What have you read so far?
Hope to hear from you soon!
Rahel
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
Rahel
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to the more current Introduce Yourself thread for the Chagall book club. Thanks

Contributor
rozette
0 Kudos

I am sorry not reading the book that everyone is reading, but instead I started to read "The history of Ancient Israel" by Michael Grant. I found it my local library it's fascinating. It explains all the myths and stories of the old testament. I haven't finished reading the entire book yet. I'm really taking my time and not skimming but this time intensely reading.
New User
aspiring_actress
0 Kudos

I am very interested in the history of the Jewish people. I loved learning about the holocaust and want to read "The Diary of Anne Frank" really bad!
Contributor
rozette
0 Kudos

aspiring_actress wrote:
I am very interested in the history of the Jewish people. I loved learning about the holocaust and want to read "The Diary of Anne Frank" really bad!

The diary of Anne Frank is an excellent learning tool. I personally don't have worry about these things because I'm named after two people who died in the concentration camps and ironically they both lived in Holland.

My name is Rosemary Shashoua. My first name on my birth certificate is rozette and my middle name is marie, when I emigrated to the US I changed my name to rosemary. I'm married to a man who's birth place is baghdad, iraq, he's a sephardic jew and i'm an ashkenazi jew.

so if you need any more history about jewish people i would like to help you,

yours,

rosemary
Rahel
0 Kudos

Welcome to our new readers! It's great to hear what people are reading and thinking about, so please continue to post.
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
Rahel
0 Kudos

Hello, Jewish Encounters readers.
I hope your New Year is off to a good start. I just wanted to remind everyone that we've just begun a discussion of Dr. Sherwin Nuland's fascinating biography of Maimonides. It's a great read, and very accessible, with lots to offer readers no matter your previous background in the topic. So do check it out!
Hope to hear from you soon
Rahel
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
Rahel
0 Kudos

I've moved the most recent message to the current "Introduce Yourself" thread so we can all be in the conversation together!

Rahel
0 Kudos

Betraying Spinoza: Introduce Yourself

Here's the place to share a bit about yourself and what has brought you to join our book club.
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
Frequent Contributor
mildone
0 Kudos

Re: Betraying Spinoza: Introduce Yourself

I have never taken a course where I studied Philosophy formally. I have had courses on Philosophy but in a general broad manner. This will be a new adventure for me, especially since I have never read any works by Spinoza but in my studies his name is frequently mentioned. Today I am going to purchase Betraying Spinoza and enjoy the day reading about him.
mildone
New User
mooseman01
0 Kudos

I am Irwin Moss, residing in Los Angeles. I am a retired lawyer, having labored in the vinyards of network telelvision for 40 + years. I graduated from Syracuse University (as did my wife of 53 years), and Harvard Law School. My wife added a Masters degree from Iona College.

We are "returnees" to Judaism, a very long story, but suffice to say we are co-founders of a new synagogue in LA. We have both become very interested and involved with Torah Study, and related matters of Jewish philosophy.

Along the way, I found and have read, "Betraying Spinoza." (I chose it over another then newly published book on him.) I don't suppose I could read much of the master in (translation) his original wording, so I relish secondary sources as I have for many years. (Try Maimonides sometime!)

I have become "stimulated" by the "Englightenment" and the power to reason. The study of Jewish modernity is exciting and revealing to me.

I come to Spinoza as a fountain of free rational thinking, not with the bias towards Judaic thought.

I look forward to the study with you.

Irwin Moss
mooseman01
Rahel
0 Kudos

Welcome to our returning and new members! We look forward to hearing more from you.
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
New User
NoRobots
0 Kudos

Hi. I am a devoted student of Spinoza. I operate a website devoted to one of his foremost interpreters, Constantin Brunner (http://constantinbrunner.info).

I have read many of the new books about Spinoza. I haven't yet looked at Ms. Goldstein's book, but I plan to do so soon.
New User
eliot59
0 Kudos

I am a retired Professor of American Jewish History, having done more writing than teaching. I have some experience with group discussions and hope to be able to enjoy Jewish Encounters as a kind of seminar from my old days. I know something about Spinoza and have read the book and the comments with interest.
Rahel
0 Kudos

Hi, Welcome to our new readers.
It's great to have new perspectives join the conversation, and I look forward to hearing from our readers, new and old, as our conversation continues. There's certainly a lot to discuss about Spinoza. Feel free to respond to any of the ongoing threads, or start your own.
Best,
Rahel
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

I am just finding my way around the boards I'm afraid I often find myself lost! I have just begun reading Sherwin Nuland's book on Maimonides and I'm also taking classes in Greek literature as well as a class on Maimonides. It's a lot of reading but they all mesh. I have read Dr. Nuland's Lost in America and How We Die and was nothing short of overwhelmed. His honesty, his writing ability, and his insight... I can't find words to describe how impressed I am with him. It appears that you've moved on to a book about Emma Lazurus. Did I understand that correctly? I am truly a novice with net and apologize for my lack of technological ability.
Users Online
Currently online:47 members 530 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: