Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rahel
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi, Timbuktu.
We have indeed moved on to our next book, but our conversations about Maimonides are still on the board if you'd like to read them, and although Dr. Nuland is no longer participating, I'd be happy to talk about Maimonides a bit more. So if you'd like, post a reply or question on one of the Maimonides threads, and I'd be happy to respond. I'm also a big fan of Dr. Nuland's other books -- I think his description of depression in Lost in America is incredibly moving, and brings an extra layer of meaning to his telling of Maimonides' story.
I'd also invite you to check out Esther Schor's wonderful biography of Emma Lazarus, which we are currently discussing.
Best,
Rahel
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Rahel wrote:
Hi, Timbuktu.
We have indeed moved on to our next book, but our conversations about Maimonides are still on the board if you'd like to read them, and although Dr. Nuland is no longer participating, I'd be happy to talk about Maimonides a bit more. So if you'd like, post a reply or question on one of the Maimonides threads, and I'd be happy to respond. I'm also a big fan of Dr. Nuland's other books -- I think his description of depression in Lost in America is incredibly moving, and brings an extra layer of meaning to his telling of Maimonides' story.
I'd also invite you to check out Esther Schor's wonderful biography of Emma Lazarus, which we are currently discussing.
Best,
Rahel

Thank you for your reply. I'll keep trying to learn about this system.
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Rahel wrote:
Hi, Timbuktu.
Best,
Rahel

Just wanted to say that I am having the most incredible experience. I'm reading Plato's Republic in one class, The Odyssey in another, and Sherwin Nuland's Maimonides while taking the Maimonides class at the Chabad. So much of Maimonides is Plato but there is a difference, and that makes all the difference! I highly recommend the Chabad class for those interested in Maimonides. But studying Plato at the same time... incredible. My mind is aswirl with so many concepts I can't articulate them yet. I'm just overwhelmed by the brilliance. Western civilization in a nutshell.
Rahel
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and introduce yourself

Hello to all our Jewish Encounters readers, new and old.
We're starting our conversation about Douglas Century's Barney Ross, so this is a good time to introduce yourself if you are new and re-introduce yourself if you've been here before!
I'm your moderator, Rahel. I'm an editor in book publishing in New York where I've worked on books in genres from Judaica to reference to lifestyle. I've been involved in the Jewish Encounters series since its inception, and I'm thrilled to be discussing it with you and with the fabulous authors here on bn.com. Other interests of mine include murder mysteries, embarrassingly bad television, crafts, cooking, feminism, and all aspects of Jewish life and culture. I hope you'll all join us for the discussion of Barney Ross and also consider this board your place to discuss anything of Jewish interest that's on your mind. Feel free to respond to threads or start your own, and enjoy the conversation!
Rahel
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
New User
susanjoy
0 Kudos

Re: Barney Ross: Questions for the Author

Hello!  I'm Susanjoy, Barney's niece; his baby brother George's daughter.  Have met Doug and am so proud of my Uncle Barney and grateful to Doug.  I've never used a website like this before; quite impaired, I'm afraid.  I tried to figure out how to introduce myself, this is all I could do!:smileywink:  I need a quick lesson.  How do I say hello and converse with anyone about Barney Ross and Doug's book???!!!  Thanks for the help!

Susan
Rahel
0 Kudos

Re: Barney Ross: Questions for the Author

susanjoy wrote:
Hello! I'm Susanjoy, Barney's niece; his baby brother George's daughter. Have met Doug and am so proud of my Uncle Barney and grateful to Doug. I've never used a website like this before; quite impaired, I'm afraid. I tried to figure out how to introduce myself, this is all I could do!:smileywink: I need a quick lesson. How do I say hello and converse with anyone about Barney Ross and Doug's book???!!! Thanks for the help!
Susan

Hi, Susanjoy.
Welcome to the board -- it's great to have a member of Barney's family here! I'm Rahel, the moderator of the Jewish Encounters book club. You're doing a great job with the website -- I simply moved your message to the "Introduce Yourself" board (and if you have trouble finding the right place to post a message, post it wherever is easiest, and I can move it around later with my magical moderator powers). To post other messages, you can simply click on the thread you want to post to, and then hit "Reply" on the upper left of the message that is on-screen. And you -- and other readers -- should always feel free to ask me questions about how the board works -- you can send me an email by clicking on the little envelope on the right-hand side of the screen, just under the "Jewish Encounters" banner, or simply post your question on one of the threads, because other readers might have the same question, too.
Now that we've got that straightened out, is there a favorite family story about your Uncle Barney that you would like to share?
Best,
Rahel
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
New User
susanjoy
0 Kudos

Hello - growing up in Chicago and being Barney Ross' niece was exciting.  I was very proud, as everyone I knew was a big fan of Barney's.  When the phone would ring, late at night, or early morning hours, I knew it was Uncle Barney...my sister and I would run to the phone; it was always exciting and fun to talk to him.  He was very loving, calling me his "little love," my sister his "big love."  One of my most wonderful memories of him was in approximately 1960 when me dad, mother, sister and I went to visit him in NY.  He couldn't do enough for us - insisted on taking me shopping to buy me something special.  I could not believe how many people stopped him during that walk...each one hugging him, calling him "Champ."  He seemed to know ALL of them; asked about their families, how they were doing.  He reached into his pocket over and over again, giving them money, as they said they could use some help.  Finally, I asked him how he knew everyone so well; their families, children.  He told me he had no idea who they were, but assumed that if they were in financial trouble, they probably had a wife and children!  

I remember him coming to our apartment, sitting at the piano, playing and singing jewish songs.  He certainly didn't have piano lessons, but he and my dad knew how to play the piano. 

I wish I had known him longer, better. 

Susanjoy
Rahel
0 Kudos

susanjoy wrote:
Hello - growing up in Chicago and being Barney Ross' niece was exciting. I was very proud, as everyone I knew was a big fan of Barney's. When the phone would ring, late at night, or early morning hours, I knew it was Uncle Barney...my sister and I would run to the phone; it was always exciting and fun to talk to him. He was very loving, calling me his "little love," my sister his "big love." One of my most wonderful memories of him was in approximately 1960 when me dad, mother, sister and I went to visit him in NY. He couldn't do enough for us - insisted on taking me shopping to buy me something special. I could not believe how many people stopped him during that walk...each one hugging him, calling him "Champ." He seemed to know ALL of them; asked about their families, how they were doing. He reached into his pocket over and over again, giving them money, as they said they could use some help. Finally, I asked him how he knew everyone so well; their families, children. He told me he had no idea who they were, but assumed that if they were in financial trouble, they probably had a wife and children!
I remember him coming to our apartment, sitting at the piano, playing and singing jewish songs. He certainly didn't have piano lessons, but he and my dad knew how to play the piano.
I wish I had known him longer, better.
Susanjoy

Susanjoy --
Thank you so much for sharing those wonderful stories about your uncle. It sounds like his early devotion to family and community truly stayed with him for the rest of his life. You've really brought his sense of humor to life. I wonder where he learned to play piano -- since he had a close relative who was a famous cantor, maybe music ran in the family? Or maybe he picked it up from performers at some of the nightclubs he went to! Either way, it's a wonderful image of him for readers to share.
Best,
Rahel
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
New User
maragita
0 Kudos

Hi.  I was very excited to see this Jewish Discussion Group in the The Cleveland Jewish News.  I am Jewish and like to read.  Can someone tell me what book you are reading now, about David?  maragita
New User
maragita
0 Kudos

Hi:  Please let me know what the next book to be read and discussed is in the Jewish Encounters Book Discussion. Maragita 3-23-2008
Rahel
0 Kudos

Hi, Maragita.
Welcome to Jewish Encounters. We are currently discussing Barney Ross by Douglas Century, and we would love to have you join the conversation. In the month of April we'll be opening the board up to general discussion, and then in May we'll be reading Jews and Power by Ruth Wisse. You can feel free to join the conversation at any time, and if you'd like to discuss something not specifically related to the book we're reading, please check out the Community Conversation thread.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Rahel
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
New User
PeninnahRachel
0 Kudos

Re: About Nextbook

May I join?
Rahel
0 Kudos

Of course! Please jump right into the conversation on any of the threads we have going, or feel free to start your own!
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
New User
joiseygoil
0 Kudos

I am very interested in Jewish literature and have read so much pertaining to Israel and being Jewish and the holocaust, et al.   How do I join???
Rahel
0 Kudos

Hi, Joisey girl.
Welcome to the Jewish Encounters board. There's no official joining process -- simply come by, read the posts, write your own, and join our conversation. We're glad to have you.
What have you been reading lately?
Best,
Rahel
(also a jersey girl!)
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
Rahel
0 Kudos

Hello readers!
We're about to start our next discussion -- beginning on Monday, May 5, we'll be joined by Professor Ruth Wisse for a conversation about her book Jews and Power. It's sure to be a fascinating exchange, so I hope you'll all participate! And new readers, please check in here and say a few words about yourselves if you'd like.
All the best,
Rahel
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
Reader
msniw
0 Kudos

Hi

I've been registered for some time but have only just round to wanting to make a contribution. I'd like to start a completely new thread about two distinctly secular and indeed, unholy items but would like the O.K from you all before I do so. Nu?
Rahel
0 Kudos

msniw wrote:
Hi
I've been registered for some time but have only just round to wanting to make a contribution. I'd like to start a completely new thread about two distinctly secular and indeed, unholy items but would like the O.K from you all before I do so. Nu?

Hi, msniw.
Your post has me intrigued, but we are certainly open to all secular conversation here at Jewish Encounters. Feel free to post away, within the B&N.com user guidelines, of course:smileyhappy:
Best,
Rahel
Rahel
www.nextbook.org
New User
SergiuSimmel
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Sergiu Simmel and I have been enjoying a wide variety of NextBook's products (books, podcasts, the magazine) for a while now. I am myself a publisher, producer and promoter. My company, Our Learning Company, publishes, produces and promotes adult Jewish learning content by premiere Jewish scholars, authors, thought leaders and teachers -- so I am a student of NextBooks's great services and products, even though we have very different type of content.

So I wanted to explore this environment as well. I am very excited to learn what Jews (and non-Jews) learn, read, are looking for, etc ... partly for my own curiosity, and partly in search for new ideas for my own audio products and events (such as the one I am hosting live this Thursday with theologian and author Neil Gillman -- www.AskNeilGillman.com/P).

Question: how does this entire NextBook bookclub actually work? I am sure this question must have been answered many times before, and there may be some write-up somewhere about it, so if you can please point me in the right direction, that would be great!

Thank you,

Sergiu Simmel

Rahel
0 Kudos

Hi, Sergiu,
Welcome to the book club. We're pretty low-key and easy to join. Generally, each month we discuss one book, with the author participating in the discussion. Starting today we will be discussing Benjamin Disraeli by Adam Kirsch, so if you are interested in joining that conversation, please jump in! And we are also always interested in talking about other books or topics of Jewish interest, so you can certainly bring those up as well. Events and such can be posted on the "community conversation" thread, or feel free to start your own thread. I sometimes move posts around to keep things organized, so please don't be offended:smileyhappy: You also mention that you are a publisher -- if you have books of Jewish interest you would like to promote, you can post about them in the "Read my Book" thread.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to email me through the "private message" function.

Welcome to Jewish Encounters!

Rahel

Rahel
www.nextbook.org
Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 299 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: