Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Community Forum

Let's make this thread the place where we post all manner of off-topic discussions and enjoy the fellowship of readers.
jd
Frequent Contributor
jd
0 Kudos

Re: Community Forum

Okay - so this is my first experience with an online book club and I really enjoy it. I enjoy having the feed back from others to spur me on in my thinking. does BN have a book club of sorts in their stores???? Or do you know?
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

jd wrote:
Okay - so this is my first experience with an online book club and I really enjoy it. I enjoy having the feed back from others to spur me on in my thinking. does BN have a book club of sorts in their stores???? Or do you know?

We don't really exist in that third dimension. Only kidding. I would think that local stories might offer programs of their own at the manager's discretion. But this comes from BN online, an entity in its own write, so I hope you enjoy our community and discussion.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

jd wrote:

The way I see it is that it would be a prety slim chance for me to meet all these people that are participating here IRL. In my experience the online setting provides another concentration of thought and interest. It's also quicker and I can access it at my own conveniece (time concern mostly). Plus I don't need to eat all those cakes and drink wine and whatever comes with the IRL book clubs. :smileytongue:

ziki
Contributor
E_Darcy
0 Kudos

Good evening, everyone!:-)
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

E_Darcy wrote:
Good evening, everyone!:-)

yes, good morning!

ziki :smileyhappy:
jd
Frequent Contributor
jd
0 Kudos

thanx for the info,jd
jd
Frequent Contributor
jd
0 Kudos

hmm - cake, wine and warm fire and a book club sounds pretty seductive to me. But I am enjoying the online cruise as well. And you are right, the meeting of the minds is great and could not be done in person nearly so well. jd
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

jd wrote:
hmm - cake, wine and warm fire and a book club sounds pretty seductive to me. But I am enjoying the online cruise as well. And you are right, the meeting of the minds is great and could not be done in person nearly so well. jd

I think it could be done in person but geographically it is difficult to achieve such a concentration. When you think in terms of the population of the whole globe then we are not especially many....that's how I meant it.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

jd wrote:

There are some times when you are with people and you swear you are at the Algonquin round table, with Dorothy, et. al. For all the other times, there's online communities.
jd
Frequent Contributor
jd
0 Kudos

ziki wrote:

jd wrote:

I think it could be done in person but geographically it is difficult to achieve such a concentration. When you think in terms of the population of the whole globe then we are not especially many....that's how I meant it.

ziki

I agree and I really like the time thing. -jd
Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

fanuzzir wrote:

There are some times when you are with people and you swear you are at the Algonquin round table, with Dorothy, et. al. For all the other times, there's online communities.

If I didn't care for fun and such,
I'd probably amount to much.
But I shall stay the way I am,
Because I do not give a damn.

----Dorothy Parker
jd
Frequent Contributor
jd
0 Kudos

yes I do believe you are right, can I get you another scotch and cigarette? :smileyhappy: - jd
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

none

[ Edited ]

Message Edited by ziki on 03-11-200706:35 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

May I ask that you smoke outside JD, I have a bronchial condition brought about by a chain-smoking mother:smileysad: :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

jd wrote:
yes I do believe you are right, can I get you another scotch and cigarette? :smileyhappy: - jd

jd
Frequent Contributor
jd
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
certainly, but dp will go with me for I hold the scotch and the ciggies and our illustrious moderator will do the same. Perhaps bronchitis is worth the trouble??? jd:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by jd on 03-11-200706:59 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

moby's here

yay Bob, Jon is our man..check it out..this is what he said in his BN interview:

"...Herman Melville's Moby-Dick. Read it once, read it twice, read it once more -- Moby-Dick will show you another face every time. It's an adventure on the high seas. A rumination on the nature of man. An encyclopedia of whales and whaling. An exploration of madness and obsession. And more. Lots, lots more."

ziki :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Re: moby's here

He's in.
Author
jonclinch
0 Kudos

Re: moby's here

And honored.
-------------------------------