Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter 5

ziki wrote:
I feel terribly uncomfortable to read about Huck's father and his ways of abusing the child. It is typical how quickly Huck adjusts. Of course he has to in order to survive.

There's also the dichotomy of the so called freedom (image of a romantic freedom) as exemplified by Huck's idea about living in the woods, hunt, do what you want and the effect of 'sivilization' and the other style of living (authority, order) where you need to adjust to a (social) system and its demands in order to survive.

ziki

It was really hard to read the parts of the book surrounding Huck's abuse and the fued involving children. When you have kids it's hard to read something like that and not imagine your children in such a situation. Having a 10 year old son now completely changed my view of this story this time around. I had a similar experience with To Kill a Mocking Bird. As a teenager I read the story from Scout and Jem's point of view, as an adult from Atticus'. I think that is one of the hallmarks of great literature, it can actually grow and change with you as you grow and change.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

to kill a mocking bird

I read it recently and the book is as potent as ever. I think one strength of the story is that it works both from the POV of kids and the POV of adults (as you pointed out here).

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Huck makes his escape: Chapters 5-11

Jim and Huck form a bond right away inspite of being a rather incompatible pair of birds. Their companionship is fueled by the situation itself. Each one probably thinks that what the other did was pretty daring. Neither Jim or Huck wishes to be discovered by others so if they stick together their chance to make it grows. Huck is obviously more skilled to obtain some food in wilderness and I wonder now what Jim will offer Huck.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

boat shaped islands

friery wrote: I'd have to go back and see if Twain described his island as boat-shaped.

Aren't islands in rivers often boat shaped? The water is streaming by, not the same as in a lake that is more still or a sea.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Huck and Jim

fanuzzir wrote: Then there's always the Love and Death in the American Novel perspective, which argues that Huck and Jim are alot like Ishmael and Queeqeg. Wait a minute! Didn't we have this discussion two months ago?

I could go on. . . Huck Finn has always been a Rorschak of American critical schools.

Yay, I came to this party when every body's already left. Too, bad. Queequeg and Ishmael, hmmm, the male friendship theme again; here set in another "age interval", grown up black man and a small white kid. Both are homeless, moving on. On the road? The Big American Journey? :smileyvery-happy:

Huck Finn is a kid that does what other kids could only dream about. Or couldn't even dream about, like forming a friendship with a 'nig-er' while floating on a river on the way to nowhere. Tell me all about it!

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

was learning...

JesseBC wrote:
Oh, Fan, I don't care whether you agree with me or not -- I just learn so much from you that I'm happy you're here.

Hmmm..... and now BN put the end to it...I can't get over it, I must say!

ziki :smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Huck as Adam

[ Edited ]

fanuzzir wrote:
Huck faking his own death and beginning his life over again--that makes Pap, or Finn, some figure of original sin, which the self-inventing American archetype is able to overcome. There's such a grisly gaiety in this image of a butchered hog, a father's body floating in the river, and a liberated young striver born again.

I'm reminded also of the butchered Christianity in the novel, and the profane outlook that Huck has about everything. These are Twain's brilliant reinterpretion of an essentially Christian myth about regeneration and freely willed salvation. Only he does not let his hero stay clear of social encumbrances for long, and soon abandons the journey up river after half the book.

Oh, my head is too small for all that :smileysurprised:.....right now anyhow.

Message Edited by ziki on 04-09-200701:56 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Huck as Adam....naaah!

If I understod that correctly Twain had not much sympathy for the God of the Bible, thinking it was pretty much a nonsense.

I can't really sew together this Adam thingy speculation and the whole cassock with it!

ziki
Frequent Contributor
JesseBC
0 Kudos

Re: was learning...

They put an end to it? How? Don't tell me Fan's not here anymore!

ziki wrote:

JesseBC wrote:
Oh, Fan, I don't care whether you agree with me or not -- I just learn so much from you that I'm happy you're here.

Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

JesseBC wrote:

ziki wrote:

JesseBC wrote:

Sad, but true. If you go to the American Classics board there is a goodbye from Bob Fanuzzi, he's been gone since the end of March.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

JesseBC wrote:

no, he's not :smileysad:

ziki
Frequent Contributor
JesseBC
0 Kudos

This is so depressing, I'm not even sure I want to stick around anymore. He wasn't fired, was he??? The way you phrased it and the suddenness of his departure makes it seem like he didn't choose to leave or something.

He was one of the few moderators I've ever seen on ANY forum who actually encouraged intelligent conversation instead of just running around like an overgrown hall monitor giving people warnings about bad language and shutting down conversations that start to get interesting because, God forbid, it might make someone "uncomfortable."

KristyR wrote:

JesseBC wrote:

ziki wrote:

JesseBC wrote:

Sad, but true. If you go to the American Classics board there is a goodbye from Bob Fanuzzi, he's been gone since the end of March.

Users Online
Currently online: 20 members 271 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: