Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

PBs

[ Edited ]
This is after all a chat so I guess we can't be accused of being off topic.

Paperbacks: pmath brought that up elsewhere, too....apart from the price concern that you mention they are very useful, easy to take with and easy to handle. You can also leave them behind and more people will read the books as they circulate (which of course one can do with HB, too). It is easy for me to make notes in PBs which is useful for book discussions while I am reluctant to handle HBs in a same ruthless way. It all depends on how one uses books. PBs have certain advantages epecially as a 'study material'. And if you like reading maybe you prefer to read two, three PBs instead of one HBs. It's all relative.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 03-11-200704:33 AM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: another heading

LO Ziki:smileyhappy: I agree with JD, you would be sadly missed from these boards because your posts about books are generally very perceptive and often bring a different perspective too. You might be quirky but you are an interesting quirky!

ziki wrote:

jd wrote:
Ziki - I too got dropped, but I was harsh and little too sarcastic. Hope you rethink this, you are one of my best springboards and I will sorely miss you.

jd, maybe it's a good time to quote M.Twain:

"The report of my death is an exaggeration"

Author
jonclinch
0 Kudos

Re: chat with jon-no book

Good thinking, Choisya --

I'd like to get invited back come paperback time, too...

-- J

Choisya wrote:
Let us hope that books like Jon's come back to B&N when they are also in paperbacks. Meanwhile I am sure the other better off folks here who have bought the hardback will enjoy their discussion with the author and I will just read-along.:smileyhappy:.

-------------------------------
http://www.readfinn.com
http://www.jonclnch.com
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Re: chat with jon-no book

Thank you all for circling back in. I suggest that if there are financial considerations that we still wring Jon dry about what his Huck Finn interests are and let him tell us the monster's point of view within the boy's book. Sound good?
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: chat with jon-longer?

Hi Jon, you have a pretty hectic travel schedule these days I saw on your site, how is it going?

I wanted to ask you: can you stay longer here on the board than March?

Not sure how the arrangements work backstage.
ziki
Author
jonclinch
0 Kudos

Thanks for asking, Ziki --

The tour is going very well. I love getting in a room with people and connecting with them (my old experience of putting myself through college playing guitar in bars is serving me well here...) over the ins and outs of Finn.

I've posted a good bit of coverage on my blog at http://horsehaircouch.blogspot.com.

Travel is tough, though. I was stranded overnight in Toronto two weeks ago, and on the way back home to Philadelphia from San Francisco yesterday we got grounded in Pittsburgh. Found a hotel room, and drove back today in a rented car (only to find out that the service where I'd left my own car had busted off the driver's side windshield wiper, and I'm back on the road come Monday morning with no time to get it fixed...).

More than you want to know, I suppose.

Regardless, I'm happy to stay around and discuss as long as it takes!

-- J
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response; Jon. I guess the excursions into the cyber space are less tiresome for the body than the travels. Who knows, some of the experiences might be used in another book of yours...stuck in Toronto against your will..imagine what all can happen in a day or two...(reminds me of Da Vinci Code pacing , LOL)

We read on.

Maybe in April (not to burden your schedule too much) you might drop in here once or twice a week or at your convenience, it still helps. This is just my own private idea. :smileyhappy:

Perhaps it is too early to ask but my curiosity doesn't kill me: do you have any plans for a possible next book?

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: chat with jon

jonclinch wrote:.... (my old experience of putting myself through college playing guitar in bars is serving me well here...)

yay, they should send you with the book to Nashville!

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: chat with jon- afeared

[ Edited ]
I am a bit afraid of your book...hmmm....gotta admit it..but I am slowly gearing up to it...(I had to start with Sawyer and Huck first anyhow)

However, first there was that Kirkus bit that I posted here, then I read the excerpt on BN. I only saw a dead cow floating down the river once in Chester (UK). That was ugly enough, now you have a corpse floating down Mississippi... and you get six stars out of five.
I actually never felt this dubious about reading a book.
Can you encourage me?

thanks
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 03-20-200705:18 AM

Author
jonclinch
0 Kudos

Ziki --

There is ugliness in Finn, no doubt about it. In a large measure -- at least from one point of view -- Finn is itself a response to the ugliness and misery and desolation that from my earliest readings have seemed to me to characterize so much of Huck.

But there's beauty, too.

And even in the violence, I think, a kind of holiness. If I did my job right...

-- J

ziki wrote:
I am a bit afraid of your book...hmmm....gotta admit it..but I am slowly gearing up to it...(I had to start by Sawyer and Huck first anyhow)

However, first there was that Kirkus bit that I posted here, then I read the excerpt on BN. I only saw a dead cow floating down the river once in Chester (UK). That was ugly enough, now you have a corpse floating down Mississippi... and you get six stars out of five.
I actually never felt this dubious about readign a book.
Can you encourage me?

thanks
ziki

Contributor
khia213
0 Kudos

Read the book! It's marvelous.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

OK, I think I know what you mean....like the blue in the dead eyes...(ref the trial chapter here on BN). I think generally I am getting more used to diving into my no-s but at times I can't differentiate them from warnings, tho'.

thanks a lot
ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

khia213 wrote:
Read the book! It's marvelous.

I think I know what it is, it might be too close to my own wounds...and all the adjectives... hehe, I am giving Jon hard times here....:smileywink:

Anyhows...I'm chewing through Huck first...gotta do that.

ziki
Users Online
Currently online:10 members 249 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: