Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

classics & spin-off books

[ Edited ]
I wonder what spin-off books you read and what did you think?

I start with Dr Jekyll&Mr Hyde and Mary Reilly by Valerie Martin, which I liked.
Then On Moby-Dick there were several books exploring Ahab's wife. Those I didn't read yet so I can't say much.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 03-04-200706:51 PM

New User
BenB
0 Kudos

Re: classics & spin-off books

My school librarian and I were talking about this just this morning. I remember reading "Grendel" when I taught "Beowulf." He also told me there are a couple books from the witch's point of view in "Wizard of Oz."

Are there any more?

B
jd
Frequent Contributor
jd
0 Kudos

I have read the sequel to gone with the wind, which was a parody and amusing. I have read several others and generally enjoy them as a piece of fiction. But am I the only one who does not expect the sequel or prequel to be a continuation of the original? It is what it is by another author. I got tired of the movie Rocky 1-10 because it was so knitted together. After #2 there was nothing fresh. It is not like Nancy Drew books or the Hardy boys. Perhaps I am too harsh but I am looking forward to the rest of the story so to speak from a different angle, jd
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

BenB wrote:
My school librarian and I were talking about this just this morning. I remember reading "Grendel" when I taught "Beowulf." He also told me there are a couple books from the witch's point of view in "Wizard of Oz."

Are there any more?

B

There is a wonderful book written about the Three Little Pigs tale from the wolf's point of view, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. Reminds me of many of the politicians memoirs we are gifted with.
0 Kudos

Don't forget Geraldine Brooks' March, which won her a Pulitzer. And Jean Rhys Wide Sargasso Sea...
-------------------------------
http://www.readfinn.com
http://www.jonclnch.com
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

BenB wrote:He also told me there are a couple books from the witch's point of view in "Wizard of Oz."

Right; I heard about that one but never got to it.
ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

jonclinch wrote:
Don't forget Geraldine Brooks' March, which won her a Pulitzer.

Right, I just got it a couple of days ago, finally. That's Alcott: Little Women

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780143036661&itm=1

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

jd wrote:
I have read the sequel to gone with the wind, which was a parody and amusing. I have read several others and generally enjoy them as a piece of fiction. But am I the only one who does not expect the sequel or prequel to be a continuation of the original? It is what it is by another author. I got tired of the movie Rocky 1-10 because it was so knitted together. After #2 there was nothing fresh. It is not like Nancy Drew books or the Hardy boys. Perhaps I am too harsh but I am looking forward to the rest of the story so to speak from a different angle, jd

For me it provides another angle, it picks up some thread but I do not expect anything of it.

ziki
New User
larryk
0 Kudos

ziki wrote:
I wonder what spin-off books you read and what did you think?

I start with Dr Jekyll&Mr Hyde and Mary Reilly by Valerie Martin, which I liked.
Then On Moby-Dick there were several books exploring Ahab's wife. Those I didn't read yet so I can't say much.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 03-04-200706:51 PM

I've read, and heard of many worthy sequel/spin-offs.

In fact this past spring I had a novel released, titled A SMALL HARVEST OF PRETTY DAYS that's categorized as a Literary effort, and as a unique sequel to THE ADVENTURE OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN. It's selling well in central Pennsylvania, as well as in central NJ. Several newspapers have written wonderful reviews.

In my this tale, Finn is 50 years old. He has forsaken his own name, and at long last last he is falling in love. Ending a lifetime of wandering.

More information on my novel and myself can be found at the publisher's website:

http://foremostpress.com/readers/kimport_l/harvest.html
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 1,048 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: