Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: If You Lived in the Hollows...

[ Edited ]
...what species would you be, and why?

Message Edited by Bill_T on 07-06-2007 12:48 PM
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: If You Lived in the Hollows...

Umm I'll give you 3 guesses.... :smileysurprised:

Actually, I have no real desire to be a real vamp. I actually like the pixies best. Their major drawbacks are inability to deal with cold and they have a pretty short lifespan.

On the other hand they seem to live la vida loco for the short time they have. Who doesn't want to be able to fly and be as stealthy as they are. Yep, I'd be a pixie, no doubt about it.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

Though I too enjoy the thought of the pixie lifestyle, I would have to say that I would prefer to be a witch like Rachel. I love the idea of mixing up a charm to be rid of annoyances in my life (bad hair days & freckles ect...:smileyhappy:) as well as the ability to tap into the energy around me to kick butt!!! I would also enjoy shifting shape as needed to get into tight spots or listen in on things I am not supposed to be hearing...Oh the possibilities!!
Sarah
New User
The_Booty_Llama
0 Kudos

I would have to go with being a Were . . . strong sense of family/community, the right to walk up and sniff someone without them thinking you're a creep . . . :-)

Of course, surviving getting turned into werewolf would be less than a load of fun, but hey.
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

I'm not touching this one. (grin) You all don't want to know what I would be.
Kim

Learn more about For a Few Demons More.
Contributor
-Shannon-
0 Kudos

hmmmm...hard to say. i like the idea of being a vampire, but the whole "feeding on people and uh blood thing is kinda not my style so i would say witch like rache. i am pretty sure i have ocd, so i think i could pull that off :-) ~Shannon~
New User
TwilightRose
0 Kudos

Hmm...I like the idea of the living vamps. I've always loved vampires, and I kinda like the way they're broken up into living vamps and not in these books.
Contributor
Avshar
0 Kudos

Yes i would have to go for vamp too. But really the only reason would be the extended life. I would be happy to live that long. Imagine having all that time to learn anything you can. The lifestyle would be a real drag but i think it would be worth it.
-Paranoia is just another word for longevity.
New User
lilsoceress
0 Kudos

Ok, I'd be a Soceress with the witchy abilities to slap a charm on self/others when needed and being a soceress I'd be able to tame my Wild-ER side which would be the Vamp in me ! Ohhhhh ... imagine the possibilities (big bad giggle here LOL)......wait this is a pg site right, ok will behave now (mind is wandering..heehee) pat
Contributor
Silvarian_Lupus
0 Kudos

I'd be human. No shame in admitting you're only human. Sure, I may not be stronger or more powerful than a witch, were, or living vampire... on the other hand, humans are found in all sects of society. Humans have one power throughout history -- the ability to adapt and find ways around their weaknesses.
I make these things too long for my own good!!!
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I think that I would like to be an elf with the magical ablities but also a longer life span. I just like the idea of being a slightly magical creature.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
DestructoGirl
0 Kudos

Definitely a vamp. It would be fun to be the "bad" gal for a while, plus having enhanced physical ablilities is a definite plus.
0 Kudos

I'd want to be the biggest, baddest witch in the world. LOL. Sometimes my teenager thinks I already am. LOL!

I don't think that I would want any smut on my aura though!
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Truthfully? I'd be a demon. They have all that power. But I wouldn't use human familiars, just really intelligent animals. And since I'm a girl people don't summon me. But I wouldn't be a vamp. Just because I have a weak stomach when it comes to drinking blood.
VV
Contributor
Ghost_03
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
The idea of being a Demon, as they are portrayed in the Hollows, is somewhat appealing as Ms. Harrison makes them come across so cool in her books, while simultaneously being like an unstopable wrecking ball, a force to be feared.

Demon coolness aside, if I had a choice, I'd be a Witch. Tapping a line, Latin words and phrases in part creating an amazing result, fimiliars--yup, that would be cool. I suppose with Demons and Witches, the two aren't incredibly different as far as abilities are concerned--those who have read all the books hence far should understand my meaning regarding the magical abilities of the two (human familiars are key there, and spell storage). But the major difference, species differences aside, making my final choice a Witch instead of a Demon like Al, is being bound to the Everafter and only being able to cross over when summoned, or when crossing over is "work" related. That, and I don't feel like living for several thousand years. I'm content with the average lifespan of a human or witch.

Message Edited by Ghost_03 on 07-13-2007 04:35 PM
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 315 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: