Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

How do you feel about Ivy and Rachel as a couple?

This seems to be a question on many people's minds. It's being debated pro and con on Kim's site and in the Yahoo groups. Let's try to keep this friendly and fun.

Personally I am against it. I'd be much happier if they both found themselves an interesting man. I'm an old guy and I am not comfortable with intimate same sex relationships.

At the same time, I am a A Navy vet. I spent a good part of my youth in service of this country. I believe this is supposed to be a free country. Just because I don't like something, doesn't make it wrong. If we are to have a free society, we have to protect every one's rights or risk losing our own in the future.

No matter what happens with them, I'll be there until the very end.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Contributor
Silvarian_Lupus
0 Kudos

Re: How do you feel about Ivy and Rachel as a couple?

(blinks) Out of all the topics that have been fought over constantly -- this is one that I never contributed to on the yahoo lists... because I don't care as long as someone is happy with their partner. (sighs deeply) My outlook on life is... mow your lawn, pay your taxes, and stay on the opposite side of the fence.

A new england saying comes in handy... "Tall Fences make good neighbors."
I make these things too long for my own good!!!
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

No matter what happens between Ivy and Rachel it will be written in a way that is comfortable for the characters and the readers, because that is just how Kim writes. I totally trust her judgement, so far she has been right on in her decisions. I think that Reachel and Ivy being together wouldn't ruin the story, but rather add a new and interesting dimension to it. There is no reason that they can't have a relationship as VERY close friends and still have relationships with others, isn't that what was happening in Demons anyway?. Why not? This is The Hollows after all, anything can happen there, that's why we love it!!!
Sarah
Frequent Contributor
DestructoGirl
0 Kudos

I'd love for them to find a middle ground to meet on. They both have to compromise and meet each other somewhere in the middle after all that's happened between them. I just can't wait to see what happens next. If they end up together I'd be happy but then if they each end up with someone different that'd be fine too. I hear there's a pair of mischievous eyes around the bend.
0 Kudos

Vampyre wrote:
This seems to be a question on many people's minds. It's being debated pro and con on Kim's site and in the Yahoo groups. Let's try to keep this friendly and fun.

Personally I am against it. I'd be much happier if they both found themselves an interesting man. I'm an old guy and I am not comfortable with intimate same sex relationships.

At the same time, I am a A Navy vet. I spent a good part of my youth in service of this country. I believe this is supposed to be a free country. Just because I don't like something, doesn't make it wrong. If we are to have a free society, we have to protect every one's rights or risk losing our own in the future.

No matter what happens with them, I'll be there until the very end.

I am ok with it. If it makes them happy and no one's getting hurt it's fine with me.
the only thing I'm concerned with is that Ivy has a serious anger issue and she's really jealous of anyone taking away her time with Rachel.
VV
Frequent Contributor
LoveKnots629
0 Kudos

Hey all :smileyhappy:

Yes, yes....Kim will DEFINITELY write it well, when Rache & Ivy make up their minds what the heck their doing. (If they have, she's sure not telling *grumble*)!!

I would rather not see them together. I think it would prevent each of them from obtaining their maximum potential and from learning that a friend and confidant can be just that without it having to be something more.

And not to mention...Hello...Co-dependence, meet addiction!!

D
Diane
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

I agree. They need to learn that they can be close with out the sex. The codependency/addict element could be very destructive to them down the road. I think Jenks could be a big part of getting these two on the right track and coming to terms with each other.
V^^^^V
New User
Brook
0 Kudos

I don't think it will ever just be Ivy and Rachel. I can't wait to find out though!
New User
kourtnielyn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Love is love regardless of gender. I would love to see them together. I have wanted to since the first book. It's obvious that they care for each other.

I guess I can see it so well because it happened to me. We're one hell of a duo and I can see Rach and Ivy being the same way. It doesn't have to be so codependent. I see them stronger together.

Message Edited by kourtnielyn on 07-11-2007 01:03 PM
New User
Fantasy_Fan
0 Kudos

The pervert in me would love to see it.
My practicle side would love to hear how Harrison would handle a Bi_sexual relationship without being a sexual exploitation.
New User
Branadain
0 Kudos

It feels almost inevitable to me that they will get together romantically at some point. The tension has been so thick for so long, and Rachel's reluctance is breaking down, and she isn't very good at impulse control. I think it would be great if they did. It feels right, emotionally (and voyeuristcally), and it will be quite a let down if they never get it together.

That said, nothing goes smoothly between them, or with their other romantic attachments. I'm sure it won't be all flowers and light, when/if they do take the plunge. I'm sure guys will be there to distract Rachel--and then there's Skimmer... Of course Ivy would probably be better at commitment, since she's so devoted to Rachel already. For a while there, I even let myself believe that the two of them could have had a functional triad romance with Kisten (unconventional, I know, but hey it's the Hollows). We saw what happened to him--sniff--so maybe that clears the way, sad as it is. Anyway, I know there will be drama, but I'm sure R&I can be happy together, somehow.
New User
lulumama
0 Kudos

Jinks!

i don't like IVy and rachel as a couple, i like the tension there though. i'd like someone to come along and totally steal Ivy's heart, but not her loyalty to Rachel. (also that leaves room in the future for more story to grow)How about Raches werewolf friend the insurace ajuster? And as far as jinks go i think you should have rachel make them(him and matalina)(you could also exspand on her character) human size for good and they can live out there old age like that, and have one of his kids be there pixy person, but i thought jinks very affective with the dynamics of the storie and characters when he was big.
New User
Selene14
0 Kudos

Re: Jinks!

I don't think I'd like them being a couple. It would be much more interesting to have that tension there and the close encounters. After what happened in For A Few Demons More at the end I'm not sure what will happen. I don't know if it will bring Rachel closer to Ivy or push her away. You never know what Kim will do next and that's what I love about her books. Full of twists and turns always. I would enjoy it more for Rachel to find someone else after getting over what happened because she's afraid of what Ivy and her may have and have that tension. It would be awesome.
A wraith with an angel's body.
A demon with a smile of gold.
You soul-sucker.
I won't end up like you.
A killer with the perfect weapons.
Crystal eyes and a heart of coal.
You soul-sucker.
I won't lose myself in you.

Look how pretty she is when she falls down.
Now there is no beauty in bleeding mascara.
Her lips are quivering like a withering rose.
She's back again.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

LoveKnots629 wrote:
And not to mention...Hello...Co-dependence, meet addiction!!

D

LoveKnots - LOL! - perfect.

I would prefer Rachel and Ivy did not become a couple- not for the gender issue so much as I don't really think Ivy is at all right for Rachel. There's something too much about her- can't quite put it into words.
Stephanie
Contributor
ak_chick03
0 Kudos

I too feel that they would not be a good match together. And as many other fans pointed out, the attraction and tension would go away, making it another boring relationship. Which is definitely not what Rachel is all about. I don't think she's had one solid relationship since the series started! She's all about making life difficult for her (needing danger to be attracted) and if she ever got into another serious relationship, especially with Ivy, there wouldn't be any room to progress.

Although, the last scene in FDM definitely helped to pave the way for them to be together. Except for Skimmer, anyway...
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I really dislike Skimmer. If anyone needs killing twice, its her. Kill her 3 or 4 times just to be sure. :smileyhappy:

Oh, I got carried away a question or so up there. These are questions for Kim, not Vampyre, sorry.

Message Edited by Vampyre on 07-12-2007 12:04 PM

Message Edited by Vampyre on 07-12-2007 12:05 PM
V^^^^V
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I like the loyalite that they have when it comes to the work partnership with Rachel and Ivy but I think that a romance between them would ruin that because it would interfer with what Rachel needs to do which is dangerous and Ivy would try to keep her from doing it.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
ak_chick03
0 Kudos

Yes, I agree, Skimmer is just a nuisance. It's been a while since I read FDM but wasn't there a part where the "claws" came out between her and Rache? If I remember correctly, it was quite hilarious...
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Good - I'm glad I wasn't alone in thinking Skimmer needed a boot.

Which of course, leads me back to Ivy... what does she see in Skimmer? And what does that tell us about her?
Stephanie
New User
Branadain
0 Kudos

Yes, we can at least all agree that Skimmer needs a good drop-kick!
Users Online
Currently online: 72 members 308 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: