Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Re: I am a Kimiholic...Are you?

Hi Vampyre,

Oh, so _this_ is where the support group is!

I, too, am a Kimaholic - have been ever since spotting DWW in the bookstore. The cover grabbed me, the cover copy reeled me in, and the opening page had me dropping to the floor and beginning to read right there in the store. No lie.

I love that her stories keep getting more and more complex, and every time I think she's outdone herself, she gets even better. It's humbling. And delightful. I used to pimp these books off on all my friends at work, and every once in awhile you'd hear someone yell from across the room, "Well Tink's T*tties!" Which still cracks me up.

Best,
Vicki

Learn more about The Taste of Night, The Scent of Shadows,
and the Holidays Are Hell anthology (coming in November).

Readers are always welcome to visit and contact me at: www.vickipettersson.com
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Howdy ma'am,

Welcome to the group. When I first saw "Tink's a Disney whore!" I thought I'd die laughing. Sadly I work with mostly red necks and mentally challenged(stupid) people that wouldn't know a good book if it walked up and knocked the chew out of there mouths.

When I gave all my books to the library though, the librarians got all happy when they saw Kim's books. Now I miss then so I'll have to buy them again. I'll be sure to get yours as well.

Showgirl? I must visit your website. :smileywink:
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Frequent Contributor
Sami_M
0 Kudos

I can really tell I'm a Kimiholic. Right now I'm having withdraws because I had to pack my copy's since were moving. I can't wait to rip open the box and get them out again. -Sami
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

Sami_M wrote:
I am totally a Kimiholic. I can't help it. My friend think I'm weird, but I don't care. And by the way not all teachers are like you Brook and Sarah. All my teachers think I'm weird because I spent 75% of my school day in the library rereading Kim's books everyday. Or maybe it wasn't that I was rereading her books but that i was reading for 75% of my day of my senior year when I should be studying.

-Sami

Of course all teachers aren't like us!! Otherwise they would all be fun!! And we know that's not the way it is!! :smileyhappy: Just Kidding all you teachers out there!! :smileyhappy: I am glad that you spent so much time reading...at least it was something fun rather than just text books!! Oh, and as long as your homework got done! :smileywink:
Sarah
New User
stephsmiley
0 Kudos

Are you kidding! I'm a Kim NUT!!!! I absolutely love her work! i've read each book at least 4 times! I always discover something new!
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Vampyre,

_Former_ showgirl. LOL.

And you actually gave up the books? I had to buy a new DWW because it literally fell apart in my hands. {G}

Vicki

Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Well, I had a lot of books(at least $1000.00 worth) and no place to keep them. If I can't find someone to pass them on to I give them to the library. I actually still have FFDM and I am planning on buying the 2 book hard backs instead of the original paper backs.

The other day I realized I actually do have a place to keep my books but I never realized it. I have a China Cabinet but no China. That sucker will hold a ton of books. The doors will keep them pretty dust free to. I don't know why I never thought of that before.

Some of the books I had include, All of The Dresden Files, some (paperback some hard) all of the Sword of Truth series and Chainfire, All of the Southern Vampire Mysteries, All of the Dark Tower series, all 3 of the Codex Aleria(I think that's right, Jim Butcher's fantasy series) and many many more. I filled up most of a book cart at the library. :smileyhappy:

It seems I like following a good series over an individual story most of the time. The only bad thing is catching up to where the author is and having to wait for the next book. Like Example, Christopher Paolini's Eragon series, is he ever going to write that last book? Grrr! At least I know Kim has her's right on track.

Oh before I close, I ordered your books yesterday. I'll get them on the 30'th or so. I also did check out you web site, very nice. Looks like Vegas lost a star. :smileyhappy: great now I sound like a stalker..I did read the first chapter of your book while I was there. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Vampyre on 07-27-2007 02:31 AM
V^^^^V
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Vampyre,

You found more space for books? OMG, now you're in trouble! (Or, at least, I would be.) And _thank you_ for allowing me to fill up some of that space. {smile}

Thanks for the compliments on my site, but I really can't take credit for much of it (unlike Kim). My designer ...well, designed. I just threw him a bunch of content and he ran with it. He's great.

Best,
Vicki

Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Yep, I order several books a month and am following several series. I got interested in the "Golden Compass" when I saw the movie trailer. I'm reading it now. Anytime I see a movie trailer that gives me goosebumps, I try to read the book if there is one.

I read the site designer's blog(?) He certainly knows what he's doing.

I do have a question that you and Kim can answer for me. What's the deal with all the black clothing? Is it something common to red headed urban fantasy writers? Remember, I am and old guy that has no clue to modern fashion.
V^^^^V
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Vampyre,

YES! It's in our contract - red hair? Check. UF writer? Check. Must wear black.

Actually, you're making me self-conscious now because I have a signing on Sunday and I just went out and had my nails painted black. {grin} Maybe I should've chosen pink!

BTW, I'm attending a B&N book club meeting next month and they're discussing THE GOLDEN COMPASS. How's that for synchronicity?

Vicki

Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

I imagine there will be a surge of interest in that book and the series due to the movie coming out in December. If you haven't seen the trailer yet, you should check it out. I'm sure its on You Tube or something by now. Depending on how busy I am at work this weekend, I should finish it and then start the next one.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel self conscious. I'm sure red headed urban fantasy writers have a lot in common besides fashion. I don't mean you're clones or anything, just that you probably have common interests. Akk I feel like I am writing myself into a deep deep hole.

Never mind all that. You two are producing a fine product that we like to read and talk about. Thank you for creating these worlds and people for us to visit and experience. I truly feel sorry for people that don't take the time to read a book. Keep up the good work.(am I out of the hole yet? :smileyhappy: )
V^^^^V
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Vampyre,

Your comment about feeling sorry for those who don't take time to read a book made me wonder about this:

Since we're all fans of these UF writers and their genre, I'm sure there are many people here who also enjoy UF television shows, but alas, they leave me cold. The books however, are completely gripping. Anyone else feel this way?
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Well, that is what got me here in the first place. When the Sci-Fi channel started advertising The Dresden Files, I thought it looked very interesting. By the time the show was aired, I had most of the books read.

While Harry Dresden is a very different character than Rachel Morgan, there are a lot of similarities in settings and the denizens of both worlds. They both have Weres, Vamps, and other critters that go bump in the night. Both leads use magic but the way it's used is very different.

Now that the show is most likely cancelled and I am well caught up in the books, I was thirsty for more. I found Charlain Harris next. Loved Sookie Stackhouse, Vampire Bill, Pam, Eric and the rest of the gang. Finished them and that led me to Kim and dead Witch Walking.

Being from Ohio originally, I loved the fact that it was set in a place I was vaguely familiar with. The pacing, descriptions and characters were all done so very well. It did take me a while to realize Jenks was actually on her ear ring though. Didn't see that coming at all.

Next stop will be Nevada it seems. If they ever get the books here. :smileyhappy: Small southern towns do have their disadvantages.

Message Edited by Vampyre on 07-27-2007 11:53 PM
V^^^^V
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Vampyre,

Here, let me just offer you a hand up and out of that big ol' hole. There. Now we'll just cover that back up nicely, and no one will ever be able to tell. {G}

Sorry for those who choose not to read? Oh, yeah. Another reason I love JK Rowlings so very much. She turned loads of young ones onto books.

Vicki

Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Stephanie,

Could it be because you simply prefer your entertainment in words? Or is it specific to the UF shows? And which ones leave you cold?

Wondering,
Vicki

Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Re: I am a Kimiholic...Are You?

[ Edited ]
I have to agree with you about JKR. She has done a lot to get kids interested in reading again. (entering mine field now) Sadly, a lot of church groups condemn her work as evil and such.

While I have read many of the debates about this and understand why they may feel this way, I don't agree with it. In my mind, there is a clear difference between 'evil' and works of pure fantasy. Many people along the way seem to have forgotten how to tell the difference. They wouldn't know true evil if it crept up on them and bit them on the neck.

(soap box time!) I served in the US Navy to protect the rights an privileges of our citizens. We are supposed to have freedom of religion and freedom of speech. How sad it is when people forget this when the two do not line up together.

Message Edited by Vampyre on 07-28-2007 12:26 PM
V^^^^V
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Vampyre,

Hear, hear!

Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

I've never liked anyone telling me what's right for me to watch, read or do. It's why God gave us brain. For better or worse, we have the right to make our own choices and it our duty and responsibility to accept the consequences of those choices for good or bad.

I don't like the idea of forced censorship. I feel it's everyone's right to censor them selves. If there is something on TV that's not right for the family, change the channel, use the parental blocking feature, don't start demanding the government steps in to remove it. Pretty soon they may be taking off the stuff you like to watch.

When people start banning books from public libraries and schools or just burning them out right, I think back to certain countries we fought in WWII. Seems like we forgot a few hard learned lesons from back then.

OKAY off te soap box..I can rant on censorship and public responsiblities forever and this isn't the place for it. It's my biggest PP I guess.
V^^^^V
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

I'm glad that you feel that way! So do I! Telling people what to read is ridiculous and should never happen. It is not up to the church or the government to tell people what is ok to read...if we wanted that we wouldn't live here!! :smileyhappy: Proud to be an American!! :smileyhappy:
Sarah
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

VickiPettersson wrote:
Stephanie,

Could it be because you simply prefer your entertainment in words? Or is it specific to the UF shows? And which ones leave you cold?

Wondering,
Vicki

Vicki,

I have a guess as to why I feel this way- the filming is very dark. I don't know if it's my age and my eyesight, but any movies or shows that are filmed sans light (one of the Batman movies springs to mind, perhaps more than one) just turn me off. I feel as though I don't know what's going on. I do watch television, but not much at all. Lately I've been watching Clean House ... trying to get inspired. :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 248 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: