Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

I am a Kimiholic...Are you?

Hello...

My name is Vampyre...I am a Kimiholic. Don't panic though. Unlike other addictions, this is a good thing. I have read all of her books to date and have found great pleasure in all of them.

I've learned many things in the Hollows. Things like nothing happens without consequences no matter the original intentions, and Tink is a Disney whore. That last one nearly killed me, it was so funny. :smileyhappy:

Like many of you, I am at a dry spell. We have about 8 months or so before the next novel is out. What are we to do?

If you are a Kimiholic, or know someone that is, post about it here and maybe we can help each other through the long dry spell ahead. :smileyhappy:

Thank you,
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

Re: I am a Kimiholic...Are you?

I suppose I would say that I am beginning to be a kimiholic too...also in a good way. I was recently introduced to her books and rushed to read them all and when I was finished I was just so...sad :smileysad: I mean you're right! 8 months is a really long time!! In the mean time I am busy getting my friends hooked as well so I can still talk about the books and characters. How are you passing the time? Do you know of any other good writers in this genre that you have read? I am looking for suggestions!! :smileyhappy:
Sarah
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Re: I am a Kimiholic...Are You?

[ Edited ]
Well, I like the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. It's a little darker than the Hollows but every bit as good I think. The hero(?) is Harry Dresden. In many ways, he reminds me of Jim Rockford from TV's the Rockford Files. He is a private investigator but is also a full blown wizard in modern day Chicago. In many ways he is also like an older male version of Rachel and at the same time very different.

There are about nine books in the series I think so it should keep you busy for a week or 2. :smileyhappy:

I am buying up Terry Brooks' books and then moving on to His Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillip Pullman. I saw the trailer for a movie based on one of the books and got interested in it.

I am also awaiting the release of Season one of Heroes on DVD. I don't buy many DVDs but this show is exceptional and very addictive.

Oh almost forgot, I also visit Kim's site everyday and post something there. It's really nice of her to take time out to hang out a little with us and I really enjoy it. I just hope I don't wear out my welcome. :smileysurprised:

Message Edited by Vampyre on 07-08-2007 11:19 AM

Message Edited by Vampyre on 07-08-2007 11:23 AM
V^^^^V
New User
rckgtr101
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi. I am rckgtr101 I have also read all of Kim Harrison's books as well as her "short"(ish)(105 pgs) story in the Dates From Hell anthology and I have loved every one of them.

If you like Kim Harrison then to help you get through the "dry spell" I will suggest some authors who have similar books.

Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series (very good but in the first book all of the supernaturals(Interlanders for you Kim Harrison fans) are werewolves however in the second book you are introduced to witches, shamens, vampires, sorcerers, and half-demons)(it is very easy to find out wether or not you like Kelley Armstrong's writing:
1. If you own Dates From Hell she as a short story in there.
2. If not (get it by the way) then you can goto www.kelleyarmstrong.com where she has several short stories posted under Online Fiction that will definately wet your appitite for more)

Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampires novels (a bit different but still good (the main charecter is telepathic (very fun!!!)))

I enjoyed both of these series as much(Southern Vampires) if not more(Women of the Otherworld) as the Hallows series.

Message Edited by rckgtr101 on 07-09-2007 02:37 AM
New User
RoseWolf
0 Kudos

I do believe that I am a Kimiholoic as well. In between book releases, I either re-read what I already have or read the newest book by my other favorite author Laurell K. Hamilton (two series: Anita Blake Vampire Hunter (good if you like Buffy but wanted more) and the Merry Gentry series (faeries living in "hollow" hills with several other supernatural bits as well)). I've been told that Hamilton's newest is sort of a redemption of her Anita Blake series (it went a bit too far in a certain direction), so I'm anxiously waiting for it to be my turn at the library with it.

Other things I do between books is watch anything Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Serenity). I also tend to notice when books that I've read as a teenager start coming out on DVD. I noticed "Blood and Chocolate" is out on DVD. I can already tell that the book is much better, but it might be a good movie. The book is in the Young Adult Horror? section. Not a very long book, but I think I might pick it up so that I have the book.

My current reading book is Memoirs of a Geisha (so far, not much like the movie). It is however, much more in depth (go figure, the book is ALWAYS better than the movie). Well, I suppose I should stop rambling now.
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

"Other things I do between books is watch anything Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Serenity)" Four of my favotite things!!
V^^^^V
Frequent Contributor
DestructoGirl
0 Kudos

I'm a Kim-a-holic. Well I acutally like to think of myself as a Hollows minion, I mean, if this was an addiction then it would mean that at some point I would need to stop this dependence and I really don't want my drug to go away. I believe Brimstone is laced on the pages...the more you read the more you need so you have to keep reading them over and over to get your fix. That somewhat gets me through the dry spell, rereading the Hollows that is. Kim's got lots of good suggestions on her site, like Faith Hunter, Vicki Petterson, and Rachel Vincent. If you haven't checked these ladies out, do so, you won't be dissappointed. I also am looking forward to John Sanford's Invisible Prey, Janet Evanovich's 13th Stephanie Plum novel, Laurell Hamilton's Harlequin and a few others.
0 Kudos

I*AM*A*KIMIHOLIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You bet I am....just got the books on tape of the current book (kim CAN ou autograph the dust jacket for this ??) And yea I have the book in hardcover, and yes I will buy it in paperback ! I have my autographed Hard Cover book in my emergency backpack in case of earthquake - you know have your emergency bag in case of Alien attacks,hurricanes,earthquakes - yes I will need to read to get through it and what book is worthy to take along: yep, anything by Kim Harrison !

Love Ya Kim !
Lilsoceress (patricia from california)

Tinks panties ! One of the greatest quotes EVER !
New User
lilsoceress
0 Kudos

Here is what I do for my dry spells, until the next book....I dont remember if I shared this with you Kim at the signing in San Diego....but I bought extra paperbacks of your books, take over the cover gently, 6 hole punch the front and back, cut out special pages (ok, so I cut out all the pages), put it in my filofax day planner and put it on my desk at work, take it with me everywhere and sneak a peek to get my Rachel/Ivy/Jenks fix as needed ! Viola !
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

Well Vampyre, we are certainly of the same persuasions since I too LOVE Heroes and find myself checking Kim's site every day! Thanks for the suggestions of other books to read...you're right, that list might keep me busy for a couple of weeks! I can't wait to buy Heroes when it comes out, I think that it is worth the $$ for sure!
Sarah
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

You are quite welcome. Part of being a Kimiholic is contributing to the group to ease their 'suffering' until the next book or story is released. :smileyhappy:

Oh don't get me started on Heroes. To help keep us on topic here I sent you a PM about the show and a fan site where I hang out. If the company that makes Heroes(writers, producers and so on) were able to do a show about the Hollows, It'd e one of the best things ever on TV!
V^^^^V
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

I completely agree! I will PM you more on that topic later! :smileyhappy:

Which character in the books is your favorite? Why? Everyone feel free to respond, this is not just a question for Vampyre :smileyhappy: I will start by saying that my favorite character besides Rachel...because that is too easy... is Ivy. She is such a complex multi-layered character. It was nice to see her come out of her shell a bit in the last book, it made me like her even more. Jenks would be next for all of his hilarious curses and pixing! I just love him!
Sarah
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Yup. I sure can. ;-)

lilsoceress wrote:
I*AM*A*KIMIHOLIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You bet I am....just got the books on tape of the current book (kim CAN ou autograph the dust jacket for this ??) [...]

Learn more about For a Few Demons More.
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

If you ever make it to Jacksonville, FL, I'd have to come get some autographs. Of course I'll have to buy the books again but it'd be worth it. I'd even do the "VV kiss kiss" for you even though I think it'd look strange coming from me. Atlanta is just a bit too far for me to go. :smileysad:
V^^^^V
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Yes I am a die hard Kimiholic! And I'm proud!
VV
New User
Brook
0 Kudos

I'm Brook, and I'm a Kimiholic. My family and my teacher friends don't understand. Many think that first grade teachers should only be reading Eric Carle and Harlequin Romances, but I can't help it. I keep returning to Kim again and again. I can't stop. LOL!
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

Brook, I totally understand! I am also a teacher (3rd grade) and have the same problem. Luckily, once you can turn one of your coworkers onto the series others will follow and you have someone to chat about the series with at work. Just because you teach little kids doesn't mean you are one! :smileyhappy:
Sarah
New User
gjegje3004
0 Kudos

yes I am so a Kimiholic I have read allof her books and also her story in dates from hell which is also a really good book I also like Kelly Armstrong who writes similar books if you haven't read her boks you should try them.
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Kelly Armstrong's name keeps popping up. Once i get my current books read, I'll have to check her out.
V^^^^V
Frequent Contributor
Sami_M
0 Kudos

I am totally a Kimiholic. I can't help it. My friend think I'm weird, but I don't care. And by the way not all teachers are like you Brook and Sarah. All my teachers think I'm weird because I spent 75% of my school day in the library rereading Kim's books everyday. Or maybe it wasn't that I was rereading her books but that i was reading for 75% of my day of my senior year when I should be studying.

-Sami
Users Online
Currently online: 21 members 823 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: