Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself!

Tell us a bit about yourself, and what you like to read. Are you a longtime fan of Kim's? Do you regularly dive into the paranormal genre, or is the whole idea of world of vampires and shapeshifters something you thought was relegated to old horror films?

Do tell!
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Bill T,

I'm Toni and as you proably know I read a lot of Paranormal. I have read all of Kim's books and have enjoyed the development of her characters. I have been looking forward to this discussion since it was annouced last month.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
New User
jpettus
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Jerry and until this last year, I never read anything in this genre, considering them primarily gothic romances and not that interesting to me. When I took a position in Afghanistan, the previous tenent in the room I was given had left a stack of books, most of them scifi/fantasy genre. I went through them when I got bored and tried to find some thing readable. Kim's third book, "The Good, the Bad and the Undead," I think, was one of the books and once I started it I found myself completely caught up in the storyline. I finished it and then ordered the other books online so I could read the rest of them in order and I've been hooked since.

In the meantime, I am now working my way through Jim Butcher's "Dresden Chronicles" books as well as Vicki Pettersson's Zodiac books.

Other than that, I am an IT tech who puts in his 12 hour days seven days a week to help support the military effort in Afghanistan. My wife and our four dogs are still in Indiana.
New User
Toby11373
0 Kudos

I'm Toby. I just within the last month found Ms Harrison and I have now read all the books in the series. Other authors that I enjoy are Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse series), Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake series and Merry Gentry series), and Kelley Armstrong (the Otherworld series), oh and also J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter series of course). I read quite a bit and quite fast so I go through books quickly. I am always on the lookout for different authors in the scifi (usually only the paranormal (werewolves, vampires, and witches) though) genre.
Contributor
ak_chick03
0 Kudos

Hello, my name's Krystal and I've been a fan of Kim's probably for over a year now. My sister introduced me to her books and ever since the first, I've been hooked. The way she portrays the characters, mixing vulnerability with wit and charm definitely helps to keep me engaged. I can hardly put the books down once I start reading them! Makes it hard when I'm a full time student :smileywink: But it's all good! I'd have to say I've been a long time reader of sci-fi fantasy, my favorite authors include Terry Goodkind, Carol Berg and Sara Douglass. I also enjoy non-fiction books every once in a while.
New User
the_dancer_grl
0 Kudos

I'm Heather and I read just about any fiction I can get my hands on, especially paranormals though-they're so much fun! I have just about read all of Kim Harrison's books and can't wait for another :smileyhappy:
New User
RoseWolf
0 Kudos

My name is Carolin, and I have been a fan of Kim's for quite some time now. Either my husband introduced me to Kim's books or a girl at the bookstore did. I can't remember. I do know that she's introduced me to other series there, but I haven't been back begging for more of that series like I have with Kim's. I also enjoy reading the first parts of Laurell K. Hamilton's series (Merri Gentry and Anita Blake). I like to read the back stories on Joss Whedon's stuff (script books from Buffy, Angel, Firefly, and Serenity). If it weren't for Buffy, I probly never would have been into the paranormal (vamps, werewolves, and such).

I am a full time student of Graphic Design at the American Intercontinental University Online, a mother of a wonderful 4 year old daughter (also a Buffy/Firefly fan), and a wife of a wonderfully supportive husband (he introduces me to things I like, why would he be bad?). I also have a home based business called Triquetra Designs (site link here: http://www.freewebs.com/triquetradesigns).
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

Hello! I am Sarah and I am a huge fan of Kim's even though I have only known about her work for the last few months! I am so glad that my mom got hooked and talked me into reading them! :smileyhappy:
Sarah
New User
LeaAnn
0 Kudos

Hi I'm LeaAnn. I LOVE to read, especially Scifi / fantasy; really anything i can get my hands on. I've always been drawn to the whole Vampire, witch etc realm since I was at least 7 (that's over 20 years ago, yikes!) when I first started writing myself, about a girl with a witch for neighbor.
I kind of stumbled across Kim Harrison's Hollows Series around when the 2nd or 3rd book was released and couldn't put it down until I had finished. I made myself start at the beginning and now I've read all of them (except the newest book) at least twice and can't wait for more. I love the voice that Kim writes with that makes you laugh with or cringe at or hurt for her characters and what they go through.
I anxiously await the seventh and (sigh) last book in the Harry Potter series which I once swore I'd never read. I loved the 3rd & 4th movies but until I was stuck w/ no place to go after having foot surgery, I didn't fully appreciate how rich the world JK Rowling has created.
I have a list of other authors that I impatiently await their new work to be released every year: Laurell K Hamilton, JD Robb, Charlaine Harris, Mary Janice Davidson (funny stuff), Janet Evanovich, (recently added) Vicki Pettersson, probably more that i just can't remember.
New User
Lostgal
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I kept seeing Kim's books at the library, picked one up, read the back and put it down. 2 months later, picked it up and never put it down!! :smileyhappy: Best thing I ever did, reading-wise. Since that time, I have hooked 3 more people on 'the hollows' and will continue to pass my books around to get out the word.

Kim, you are amazing and like everyone else, I can't wait for March 08. Harry Potter who? *VBG*

On a personal note, I work, volunteer, have a disabled husband, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 1 turtle and a PASSION for reading. Sometimes to the exclusion of everything else. Books are my escape! (shhhh don't tell anyone!)

Tina in S FL
aka
Lostgal

viva la tomato
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Hello, I am a Kimiholic.

My journey to the Hollows was a long one and I just got there a few months ago. Oddly enough, my trip started with the Sci-Fi channel last year. They were advertising a new show, "The Dresden Files". I loved the idea of a wizard working in modern day Chicago. I started reading all of Jim Butcher's Books and I liked them.

Looking for similar books, I found Charlain Harris and her Southern Vampire mysteries with Sookie Stackhouse. After devouring that series, I wanted more. After a short search on the web, Kim's name popped up.

After reading about half of the first chapter on line, I was hooked and ordered all the books. That was money well spent. Now I am totally addicted. I'm really looking forward to the next book and the up coming collection of short stories.

One of the highlights of my day is to go to her web site and check out her 'Drama Box" in the Questions and Comments section. Many of us have a good time sharing our thoughts with her there and she is kind enough to respond to us. Beware, if you visit there, it is a land full of spoilers. It's best to have read all the books before going there but it's not required, all are welcome.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
DWM
New User
DWM
0 Kudos

Hi, Everyone

I'm Deb, a pushing-50-hard tech writer by day and novelist as I can sneak it in to the day/night/weekend. I've been a long, long-time fan of Kim's work and as a practicing witch myself, find Rachel wonderful!

I've read everything by Laurell K. Hamilton and was looking for something new when I came across Dead Witch Walking (I absolutely could not pass up a title like that!) while on a horrendous business trip -- it turned out to be the only good part of that trip. I've gone on to read all of Kim's other books and continue with Laurell's also. Recently, I've added Kelley Armstrong's books to my reading lists; very good.

This is my first online book group, so this ought to be fun.

Deb
New User
AmberZ01
0 Kudos

Hi,
AmberZ or on Kim's site Amber in SC. I'm a huge fan of Kim's work, the hollows have been a friend to me on a lot of business trips and some great escapes on real world bad days. I typically read the genre and love other authors like Kelley Armstrong, Lyndsay Sands, oh and a new fave of mine is Vikki Pettersson. See a pattern? I try not to limit myself but most of the authors I read are women. I'm not sure why, really I don't mean for it to happen but other than Hans Christian Andersen as a child women authors have been my favorite reads. A friend of mine introduced me to KH's work a few years ago and I've been hooked ever since!
New User
BelieverInGrey
0 Kudos

Hello,

My name is Alexandra, and I have been a fantasy reader from conception. I am proud to say that I have been reading the series ever since Dead Witch Walking hit the shelves. I am so glad that such a rich and vibrant story didn't get left behind the wayside on the road of lost books. Many times I have read a truly extraordinary book only to be dissapointed when a sequel never hit the shelves. I was enchanted by the whole concept of

I am an aspiring novelist, but then again, who isn't? I'm a current college student working towards getting my BFA. I have so many favorite authors, so if I forget any, please excuse me: Kim Harrison of course, Charles de Lint (all of his work are must-reads), Laurell K Hamilton (the early work...and ONLY the early work), Charlaine Harris, Kelly Armstrong, Diana W. Jones, Christopher Paolini, Tamora Pierce, Patrica E. Wrede, Diane Duane, Mindy L. Klasky, J.K Rowlings, Barb and J. Hendee, Patricia Brigss...and many...many more.
New User
The_Booty_Llama
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. My name's Carlton, and I'm a Kim-a-holic. I had my first Kim book back in May, and I've since read them all. For me, Dead Witch Walking was the gateway Kim book, leading to the reading of more hardcore Kim books. They're like brain candy. I'm an Ivy junkie on the side.

*Stands aside to let the next member introduce him/herself*
Frequent Contributor
LoveKnots629
0 Kudos

Greetings fellow Kimiholics (I love that),

My name is Diane. I'm a transplanted Upstate NYer now living in sultry SC. I'm an avid reader of anything that grabs my attention. I was introduced to Kim's work through a mutual friend and then to the woman herself, so, not only am I a Kimiholic, I'm blessed to have her call me friend.

Adored by those who know her, fascinated by those who don't, she is an amazing individual!!

P.S. She doesn't let me know what's going to happen either!!! :smileytongue:
Diane
New User
Saoirse
0 Kudos

*waves* Hello! My husband sent me a link for the book clubs but I've been slow in checking my email lately, what a shame! I was so excited to see this board! Anyway, I am Angie and I live in MD (transplanted here by my military hubby). I have been reading Kim Harrison books since Dead Witch Walking came out. The books were recommended on Amazon and I couldn't pass up a title like that, I've been hooked ever since. My husband got me started on sci-fi fantasy by reading the Immortality Series by Piers Anthony. I met a wonderful friend who then turned me onto Charles De Lint and Anne Bishop and the love affair with the paranormal fiction continued (although I will read anything as I just love reading period!).
I am the mother of three boys (one of whom is currently in basic training even as I type, and the youngest is just starting first grade!) who keep me hopping. I am also mom to a dog named Bobbi and a cat named JellyBellyBean.
Happy Reading!
Saoirse
New User
TwilightRose
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Twila. I've always loved Sci-fi/Fantasy books as long as I can remember(actually, I'm trying to write one, but it's hard coming up with ideas that haven't been done a million times before), though I just enjoy reading at all, almost any genre. I actually started reading this series because my dad bought the first three for himself and then never read them, so he gave them to me when I moved to my mom's, and I've been hooked since the first pages of that first book.
Inspired Correspondent
gsryley
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Gail and I've been a huge fan of Kim's for a long time and I often visit her on her website and on the Yahoo groups. I tend to lurk and comment once in awhile. Kim is a phenomenal writer, I've read her books twice now and I know I will read them again. There is so much I missed the first time:-) I like to read all types of fiction, but the last couple of years I'm drawn to the paranormal and urban fantasy novels. I take little vacations when I read. Personally I thinks it's the best use of my time. Old horror films, hmmmm, I always did like "Creature Features" I thought the werewolf was very misunderstood and well as ole' Frankinstein.:-) I guess I'm a sucker for the underdog.
~Gail~
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.”
Groucho Marx

Frequent Contributor
DestructoGirl
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Mendi and I've been a fan of Kim's work for several years. I'm a Stephanie Plum fan and I also really enjoyed the early Anita Blake books, so when I read the blurb in Dead Witch Walking about Kim's character blending the qualities of Anita Blake and Stephanie Plum well then I "had" to read this book. My best friend also had Every Which Way But Dead and loaned it too me but I had to get the first two from the library, I'm anal about starting a series at the first book. Since then Kim has been my very favorite author. Being a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan, I appreciate her quick, witty dialog and the action scene also!

Two years later, I've read every book at least 3 times and can't stop thinking of Rachel and the gang in every aspect of life. It's funny, I'll be in the elevator on vacation and think, "Tink's panties, I wish Jenks was here so he could take care of that annoying music." Not that I'm obsessed or anything.
Please welcome our newest community members: