Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
dixiedarling3903
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hello everyone! My name is Deanna. I've been a fan of Ms. Harrison's for about a year. I am a long time reader of the paranormal genre and have just about all of Anne Rice's books concerning her adorable Lestat. Unfortunately, Anne has chosen to straighten out her act and gone gospel and children, and I was left without an outlet. I have started venturing out trying on new author and series and so far Ms. Harrison has captured my attention with the Rachel Morgan series. I have to say that I have not read any of her other books as of yet but plan to. I have read a few by Laurell Hamilton and a few others but Ms. Harrison is the one that has won my devotion. I recently loaned her first three books to a close friend of mine and she and her husband are sailing through them. They were also big Anne Rice fans and are glad that my persistance in finding another genre author has finally paid off. I am enjoying the Hollows world where man and the supernatural live and work together. Wouldn't it have been fun if this were actually the case and our world hadn't evolved the way it did?
New User
lilsoceress
0 Kudos

Hello Kim, Bill and Everyone !
I have been a Fan of Kim since her first book appeared at BN bookstore....I saw it and was wary at first because there is soooo much crap out their, but the cover intrigued me, the first page had me and here I am now searching for books on Ebay from Germany - and no I don't speak German, just want to add to my growing collection !

She is a superb, gifted writer, a very Nice Person - I got to meet you Kim in San Diego and I can't wait for more,more,more from you ! Pat
New User
lilsoceress
0 Kudos

Oops ! I forgot the original question: yes, I have been a Vamp/Werewolf/Fairy/SciFi fan since a being introduced to Dracula by my mom at the movies (i had to sit on her coat to see above the seats ! LOL!) so yea, Ive been hooked ever since. I can pretty much tell the crap from the GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY (ok,I couldn't resist that !) Anyway, as I sit here watching an old XFiles rerun about vampires no less - I am I guess a total fan of the genre. However, I do have to say that this latest onslaught of "Romance Novels" with vamps/werewolves is a little too slick for me as their seems to be a jump on the bandwagon and the writers, some of them jumping on - need to step off. Though their are many great writers in the genre - I like Kelly Armstrong, Anne Rice and others - Kim, after reading everything I can get my hands on with vamps/wolves/fairies etc. I can honestly say you top my list - Go Girl !
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Wow! Lots of Kim fans out there - great to have you all joining the book club. I really enjoyed reading all your intros- what a terrific group. I think it's going to be a great month!
Stephanie
New User
Ayala
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello!

I've been following Kim and her wonderful books for a few years. I found her first book on a whim when I was browsing the B&N book rack and saw that it was the only one there. It was actually the cover that caught my attention. After I finished the first book I ran out and bought the other two books, and I've been waiting patiently for all her other books to come out one at a time.

--Ayala

Message Edited by Ayala on 07-09-2007 06:40 PM
New User
Dlphns3fold
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Kerry, 23, married with kids. I started out reading suspense novels. My first addiction was Patricia Cornwell's books. Since I've been out of the military and have time on my hands, I've been looking into different genres. I like the Disney fairy tales and decided to read more adult fantasy books. I had a little extra cash and decided to blow it on B&N. I came across Kim Harrison and read a little about her books and decided to buy them all. I LOVED them SO much, I still haven't bought FDM, I'm excruciatingly waiting. The characters are SO funny, I love the the dark humor and the sarcasm. I'm a very sarcastic person and loved being able to relate to these attitudes. I'm a little hesitent to get into these other fantasies writers. If it's a series, I like to read from the beginning to end and usually one after another, so that means I need money to buy all those books. Books are a great escape for me, only having a two year old to talk to can make you go crazy. They help me deal with my husband being deployed and not having that adult contact. Anyways, I've pretty much written a book already in this post so I'm going to stop. Kim Harrison is AWESOME!
Contributor
Silvarian_Lupus
0 Kudos

My name is Steph. (sighs deeply) I have been a fan of Kim's for... I remember picking up her first book about a week after it first hit the market in my area. I guess it has been a while now. Time does fly. I joined the yahoo groups, most of the myspace groups, and now this forum. The yahoo groups were a while back. I haven't been active on the yahoo groups for a long time now.

Hmmm. A little about me? Capricorn, non-smoker, constant reader, and has 5 filled bookcases. I'll be sorting them soon enough because my family is talking about moving and books weigh a ton in boxes. (coughs) Well... I also have no more room for books. I really want to add Kim's next book to my rather large collection. I've been going through book withdrawl... waiting for the next book.

Steph from PA
I make these things too long for my own good!!!
New User
starbuck6154
0 Kudos

My name is Terra and not too long ago I got into reading urban fantasy. I started reading new releases then decided to check one of Kim Harrison's. I promptly bought Dead Witch Walking and I loved it! I am currently reading The Good, The Bad, and The Undead. All I can say is that I'm going to buy all the books in the series and as long as she writes I'm buying!
New User
Alvinletschat
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Carolynmarie So for short everyone either calls me cat or alvin. I love the books. I buy them as soon as they come available and then count down untill a new one comse out. A witch, vampire and fairy all in one is jackpot gold. Reading is my escape from the single mom get up school for my son then work for me...pick up after school and then home dinner, bath and sleep then start again. I love the way they fall and get back up again and keep going.
New User
Brook
0 Kudos

I'm Brook. I teach first grade and I read a lot of Vampire trash as my husband calls it. I like reading about a world so foreign from my own. I take a book where ever I go because I am always waiting on my 3 boys at soccer or tuba lessons.
New User
faerygirl12
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Brandy and I'm a readaholic! :smileyhappy:

I have read all of Kim's books and am really glad to have found her. I read anything that I can get my hands on, including everything from romance to horror, but my main concentration is paranormal, sci-fi. I have a very hard time finding enough books to keep me occupied, so I am always on the look out for new authors and have been hooked on Kim since I saw her first book - I just love the play on all of the EAstwood movies.

I'm 32 and the happily married mother of one dynamic 10 year old who keeps me running.
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Hi. My name's Tiyana. I just started reading the Hollows about 2 months ago. I'm a junior in high school and am a closet bookworm. I like to read anything with vampires, witches, magic,werewolves, etc. I think that regular books with regular people are boring, so I tend to only read them when I have nothing else to do. but i do enjoy detective stories.
VV
New User
Selene14
0 Kudos

I'm Heather and ever since I read Dead Witch Walking I have been so fascinated with Kim's books. They have the edge of Laurell K. Hamilton's books and the story line of a butt kicking witch who just doesn't care and I love that. Who couldn't love it? I've always enjoyed vampires and shapeshifters and all that so Kim's books just draw me in. I can't wait for the next one!
A wraith with an angel's body.
A demon with a smile of gold.
You soul-sucker.
I won't end up like you.
A killer with the perfect weapons.
Crystal eyes and a heart of coal.
You soul-sucker.
I won't lose myself in you.

Look how pretty she is when she falls down.
Now there is no beauty in bleeding mascara.
Her lips are quivering like a withering rose.
She's back again.
Contributor
jlatn
0 Kudos

Hey, everyone!

I'm Jamie from Tennessee and have been in love with Kim's stories since they began. I was in my (then) local B&N, looking for something different and interesting - BOY, did I EVER get what I asked for!!

These were the first books I had ever read of this genre and these stories will always hold a VERY special place in my bookshelves... If I had to name the one "best thing" about these stories is that the characters just LEAP off the pages and into your heart so easily. I mean, who wouldn't love a girl with day-to-day 'stuff' going on and, oh by the way: is a witch kind-of in training, has/had a horrible boss, keeps getting involved with demons - no matter how much she tries not to, love life stinks (even more so after "DEMONS" :-( hated what happened to Kip!!) and her friends are just as 'interesting' as she is (love Jinks and Ivy!!!)!

Kim H., I can't thank you enough for these great adventures! I'll be a fan for life - and the ones to follow...

To borrow from Vampyre: V^^^^V Bunnies RULE!!!

Blessed be, your friend from Tennessee,
Jamie
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! I'm Debbie from NY state and I'm busy with my three kids. I have always loved to read and take a book with me everywhere I go. Any kind of fiction is what I prefer especially if it has some humor in it. When I was a kid I always read the scary paranormal books (not so much the sci-fi)and have recently rediscovered it. I'm a fan of the Harry Potter books and since joining these book clubs have found lots of good recommendations. In the last year I have discovered Christopher Moore, Charlaine Harris, Laurell Hamilton, Mary Janice Davidson and more. I also have enjoyed some young adult authors like Stephanie Meyers, Jenny Nimmo, Septimus Heap, Cornelia Funk, etc, etc, Now I've become a big fan of Kim's and I'm so glad I did. Unfortunately I only got this book recently so I won't be able to contribute much to the discussions but I'll still read posts as I go. This is definitely a series that I will be starting now.
Contributor
Ghost_03
0 Kudos

Hello everyone, I'm Ghost, a Southern-Californian looking for some shade and a cool breeze.

I've always loved fantasy and science fiction, Paranormal fiction, whether it's set in other times or places, or urbanized in modern--or near modern--day. I'm finding urban fantasy in particular to be somewhat fascinating lately. I love the idea of all of the fantastic creatures mingling in with modern society, and what may come as a result. The thought of a Were, Witch, or Vamp living next door or across the street is fun. If I had a garden, I'd love for Pixies to live there. I always ask people if they know the difference between Pixies and Fairies. *grin*

I've been a fan of Ms. Harrison's work for almost a year, now, after finding her books on the SFBC. After reading the first four, I ended up putting For A Few Demons More on pre-order several months in advance, and it almost drove me nuts waiting for it to arrive. I love her work, every book is awesome. And one thing everyone should have, is a Bite Me Betty doll. (lol)
Contributor
Tygerlilylaka1
0 Kudos

I always feel like I'm in a group therapy session when I introduce myself. That being said:

Hi!I'm Danielle,and I'm from FL. I'm a book addict and vampire junkie. I was searching the bookstore for something to read as all my regular authors (J.D. Robb,Laurell K.Hamilton, Jim Butcher) were between books when I spotted Dead Witch Walking but didn't get it for whatever reason.A few years later I finally got it and was blown away at the uniqueness anddepth of the storyline and immediately fell in love!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
- Miss Piggy
Contributor
bluenova3
0 Kudos

Hi folks! ::waves::
I'm Kris from Montana, and I too have a Kim addiction. LOL. Actually, I guess I do have a thing for this particular genre, as I am a fan of Charlaine Harris and Laurell K. Hamilton as well. I love Kim's (not sure what to call her...Kim sounds too familiar for someone I've never met, you know??) books in particular because of the characters. You know you love a series when you wish the people were real because it would be so great to know someone like them! I joined this group because it suddenly dawned on me that it might just be the place where I could meet people to discuss some of the books that I'm passionate about. Not too many folks around here are into this stuff!
Truthfully, I read a ton of different things, but Kim Harrison is currently at the top of my favorites list!
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Howdy and welcome. I know what you mean about calling her by her first name but she doesn't seem to mind. Why is it that mostly women write this genere? The only male author that is close is Jim Butcher.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Contributor
jlatn
0 Kudos

Hi, bluenova3!

Your message touched me... I know what you mean about feeling isolated with this kind of thing... I love this forum to help 'make it all better', so to speak. Seeing all the great questions and dialogue from everyone has been really fun! Guess I enjoy 'escaping' to this sort of thing, too.

Also, I can relate to the weirdness of addressing Ms. Harrison by her first name - see, I can't even do it here...and I really do try, it just feels inappropriate, somehow. LOL Guess I can blame that on my Southern roots, huh?

Take care and look forward to 'hearing' more from you.
Jamie

bluenova3 wrote:
Hi folks! ::waves::
I'm Kris from Montana, and I too have a Kim addiction. LOL. Actually, I guess I do have a thing for this particular genre, as I am a fan of Charlaine Harris and Laurell K. Hamilton as well. I love Kim's (not sure what to call her...Kim sounds too familiar for someone I've never met, you know??) books in particular because of the characters. You know you love a series when you wish the people were real because it would be so great to know someone like them! I joined this group because it suddenly dawned on me that it might just be the place where I could meet people to discuss some of the books that I'm passionate about. Not too many folks around here are into this stuff!
Truthfully, I read a ton of different things, but Kim Harrison is currently at the top of my favorites list!

Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 321 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: