Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
faerygirl12
0 Kudos

Re: Our Questions for Kim

This is a comment more than a question.

I am always searching for new authors. I discovered you when you're 2nd book was published and I have been snapping up all of them since. I read so much that it's really hard for me to find enough books to occupy me, so when I find someone, I like, I follow them faithfully. I have recommended you to my little circle of readers and now you have at least 2 more fans to count on! :smileyhappy:

I just want to let you know that I really enjoy you're writing style and your characters. They are always very well developed and I find myself reading straight through, rather than getting bored, so I don't skip around a cheat to read the ending.

Please keep up the good work!
Contributor
Avshar
0 Kudos

I have seen a lot of discussion about making your books into movies. I think that would be cool and all but have you ever thought of making it into an anime? I know a lot of people shun that type of entertainment because they dont understand it or give it a chance, probably because they see the images that are strictly advertisement and have nothing to do with the actual content of any given anime, but there is nothing better for turning a written work into visual entertainment. You dont need to worry about actors' talent or lack of talent as the case may be, you dont need to worry about matching an actor to the image of the character, you can make it as long as you damn well please, you can match it as close to the material of the books as you want, the visual effects can be anything you wish, and you dont have to worry about content and ratings. I am not saying a movie would be a bad thing just that creatively it would be as limiting as most of the other adaptations have been in the past. VERY FEW movies have made the transition from book to film a pleasant experience. Just curious if you ever thought about it.
-Paranoia is just another word for longevity.
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

This question has a major spoiler in it so if you do not want to see it stop here.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oK THAT SHOULD BE GOOD ENOUGH

All righty then, here it is. How far into the books were you when you realized Kisten was doomed?

In my head, when I think of you writing, I see you at your desk surrounded by Rachel, Ivy, Jenks and who ever is up in the story talking to you telling you what's going to happen next. I just wish I could draw what I see.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Hi. Why doesn't Ivy ever end up in the hospital?! It's always Rachel. That's a bit unfair.( Not that I want Ivy to end up in the hospital, just curious as to why she's never in one)
VV
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I agree with the whole anime thing too.

Message Edited by TONIC on 07-11-2007 11:17 PM
VV
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Being a living vampire, Ivy is a better fighter than Rachel and therefor harder to hurt. I think she also has some regeneration abilities that a witch wouldn't have. Vamps are just built tougher than witches also.

Of course I could be very wrong here.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Contributor
NickinColoma
0 Kudos

not realy a good question, but what is an authors panel like?----Nick in Coloma:smileyhappy:
Nick in Coloma
Frequent Contributor
DestructoGirl
0 Kudos

Yep, thanks! Just curious about that lately. The banana is a great analogy!

KimHarrison wrote:
Hi Mendi,

I've been giving that a lot of thought, and I think that a vamp's scent would change going from a living to a dead vamp, but I would expect that it would still be recognizable, kind of like we know what a bananna smells like, and we know what a rotten bananna smells like, both different, but clearly the same fruit. I would also imagine that a vamp's smell would change if they switched camarillas, but the base scent would stay the same.
Better?
--Kim
0 Kudos

Thank you, Faerygirl! I appreciate knowing that you're enjoying the Hollows and are helping spread the word. ;-)
--Kim

faerygirl12 wrote:
This is a comment more than a question. [...]

Learn more about For a Few Demons More.
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Avshar.
Oh, I like Anime, so if the opportunity came up, I would not dissmiss it on account of that! I try not to think about the different ways the books can be translated too much. It makes it hard to write the actual books! But if it did come up? Sure, I'd think long and hard about it.
--Kim

Avshar wrote:
[...]have you ever thought of making it into an anime?[...]

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Vampyre wrote:
This question has a major spoiler in it so if you do not want to see it stop here.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oK THAT SHOULD BE GOOD ENOUGH

All righty then, here it is. How far into the books were you when you realized Kisten was doomed?

In my head, when I think of you writing, I see you at your desk surrounded by Rachel, Ivy, Jenks and who ever is up in the story talking to you telling you what's going to happen next. I just wish I could draw what I see.

Spoiler space
Spoiler space
Spoiler space
Spoiler space
Kisten died after I got well into book seven, and I had to go back and rewrite the ending of six. It wasn't a pleasant realization, but I did it.
--Kim

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Tonic.
I would have to say that Ivy never ends up in the hospital partly because she heals faster, but mostly because she's smarter than Rachel when it comes to doing risky stuff. (grin) I mean, this is Rachel, we're talking about. I wouldn't do half the stuff she does!
--Kim

TONIC wrote:
Hi. Why doesn't Ivy ever end up in the hospital?![...]

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,
Not a bad question at all. It's kind of like a presidential debate, but we all like each other and all our opinions are the right ones, seeing as there is no best way to answer a writing or plot question. (grin) Really, we all sit behind a long table and field questions from the audiance, and the audiance gets four to six different ways to handle different situations in writing something. It's a lot of fun. For the authors, too.
--Kim

NickinColoma wrote:
not realy a good question, but what is an authors panel like?----Nick in Coloma:smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Kim,

I'm a little confused about why Rachel hates Trent so much. I know she sees him as the bad guy. Are you ever going to tell more about what happened to make them enemies. Or is it just a very bad friendship?

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
New User
sad_virtue
0 Kudos

Hi Kim,

I wanted to know if their is any significance to the fact that Celtic things come up a few times, like how Weres have Celtic knot tattoos or Trent using Celtic magic?
AN7
Contributor
AN7
0 Kudos

Hi Ms. Kim! Today is Friday 13. Do you have your bottle? what color? Be Happy!
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Nelsmom,
If you ask me, (And I could be wrong, ;-) ) I think Rachel dislikes Trent for two reasons. The first being that she see's herself in him, and doesn't like it, and two, she hates it that he has control over her in some fashion. They may never like each other, but they will begin to understand each other much better as the books progress.
--Kim

Nelsmom wrote:
Kim,

I'm a little confused about why Rachel hates Trent so much. I know she sees him as the bad guy. Are you ever going to tell more about what happened to make them enemies. Or is it just a very bad friendship?

Toni

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Sad_Virtue.
Yes! There is! ;-)

sad_virtue wrote:
Hi Kim,

I wanted to know if their is any significance to the fact that Celtic things come up a few times, like how Weres have Celtic knot tattoos or Trent using Celtic magic?

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

No! I don't, and I'm bumming. ;-)
--Kim

AN7 wrote:
Hi Ms. Kim! Today is Friday 13. Do you have your bottle? what color? Be Happy!

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Thanks Kim,

That helps me alot and makes things much more enjoyable and I will be looking forward to what develops.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 319 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: