Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

Re: Our Questions for Kim

Kim,
Have we met all of the...for lack of better term...species of people/things living in The Hollows? I remember you briefly mentioning trolls in one or two books...do they have a greater part in the books as the series grows, or have we seen the last of them? Also, are there ghosts? They haven't been mentioned so far...but anything is possible, especially with characters passing on as they have (sniff,sniff) :smileysad:
Sarah
New User
opihinui
0 Kudos

Hi Kim,
I thought I would like to put my own two cents in and say that you have written some of the most interesting and vivid characters that I have ever read. I think I first blazed through your series in about a week at one sitting minus the 80 hours+ during which life happens. I just wanted to say, I love it and I hope you have a long run for the Hollows series so that we might enjoy these characters far into the future.

Thank you and have fun,
K.

P.S. I don't ask questions as I like to be surprised. :smileywink:
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Sarahn. You know, if you asked me this question two months ago, I would have said we have seen all the Inderland species. I've sense introduced a gargoyal named Bis, (which is a musical term meaning to repeat, which Jenks finds really funny.) How odd that you bring up ghosts! (grin) No, not the beloved missing, but yes, they exist.
--Kim

sarahn1080 wrote:
Kim,
Have we met all of the...for lack of better term...species of people/things living in The Hollows? I remember you briefly mentioning trolls in one or two books...do they have a greater part in the books as the series grows, or have we seen the last of them? Also, are there ghosts? They haven't been mentioned so far...but anything is possible, especially with characters passing on as they have (sniff,sniff) :smileysad:

Learn more about For a Few Demons More.
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Thank you, K! I'm glad you're enjoying the Hollows so much. ;-)

opihinui wrote:
Hi Kim,
I thought I would like to put my own two cents in and say that you have written some of the most interesting and vivid characters that I have ever read. I think I first blazed through your series in about a week at one sitting minus the 80 hours+ during which life happens. I just wanted to say, I love it and I hope you have a long run for the Hollows series so that we might enjoy these characters far into the future.

Thank you and have fun,
K.

P.S. I don't ask questions as I like to be surprised. :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

"How odd that you bring up ghosts! (grin) No, not the beloved missing, but yes, they exist."

Hmm this sounds umm interesting.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Why do demons only show up when Ivy isn't around? Are they afraid of her?
VV
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

I agree Vampyre, Kim's comment was very interesting! I am not sure what she is hinting at, but I can't wait to find out! :smileyhappy:
Good question from Tonic too, why don't the demons ever show up when Ivy is around? Maybe they can only show up in front of a vampire when summoned by one. Though Al did appear around Skimmer and she didn't summon him... to my knowledge. Maybe when they are in someone else's body they can, or maybe Al just does whatever he wants!(I wouldn't be surprised :smileywink:) Is there something special about Ivy that makes them stay away from her? Any thoughts?
Sarah
Contributor
Avshar
0 Kudos

As i read further on in your books i am impressed by your writing of the demons. I am curious as to what materials you read or preparations you made in creating them? Al is exactly as i would imagine a demon. I especially love that he is taking his time in preparing his next attempt on Rachel. A demon has quite a lot of time on their hands and are therefore in no need of rushing things. The way he plays on nick to gather info on Rachel is really quite good. The more i read about nick the more i wish he would take a long walk down a short pier but having him around to do stupid things like that is pretty funny. So anyway i was just curious as to how you came up with the demon characters. Specifically what texts or materials you used? Unless that would take too much time and typing or you don't want to say of course hehe. I could always wait till i get the chance to see you in person at a signing one day.
-Paranoia is just another word for longevity.
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Good question! I don't know. It wasn't intentional, but you are absolutly right. She hasn't met Al yet, has she. I'll have to rectifiy that . . . ;-)

TONIC wrote:
Why do demons only show up when Ivy isn't around? Are they afraid of her?

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

I hate to break it to you, but I didn't use any texts or research to come up with Al apart from the reading I did in the SF/Fantasy genres when I was growing up. I did look up his name, (and then modified it) from a site online, but really, that is about it. I'm glad you're enjoying the demons, though. I put a lot of thought into developing their culture, if you will. It just didn't come from any resources I can readily name.
--Kim

Avshar wrote:
As i read further on in your books i am impressed by your writing of the demons. I am curious as to what materials you read or preparations you made in creating them? [...]

Hi Avshar.

Contributor
Tygerlilylaka1
0 Kudos

Hi Ms. Kim :smileyhappy:

One of the things I enjoy most is the range of emotions the books have. This might be a totally off the wall question but, I've been wondering what (if anything) inspired the scene of line dancing vampires?

Whenever I hear the song I can think of nothing else and dissolve in a fit of giggles.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
- Miss Piggy
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

How does a vampire make another person their scion?
VV
Contributor
Avshar
0 Kudos

KimHarrison wrote:
I hate to break it to you, but I didn't use any texts or research to come up with Al apart from the reading I did in the SF/Fantasy genres when I was growing up. I did look up his name, (and then modified it) from a site online, but really, that is about it. I'm glad you're enjoying the demons, though. I put a lot of thought into developing their culture, if you will. It just didn't come from any resources I can readily name.
--Kim

Avshar wrote:
As i read further on in your books i am impressed by your writing of the demons. I am curious as to what materials you read or preparations you made in creating them? [...]

Hi Avshar.

Bummer. Oh well, great job though. Going to be hard to wait for book 6. take care.
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Tygerlily.
What an excellent question! I was out with a writer friend one night at a Karokie (sp) bar, and I'd never been to one before, so when a line-dancing song came on, and all of a sudden, everyone started to move in unison, it struck me hard. Add a little Rob Zombie, and you get line-dancing vampires. (grin) I laugh too. ;-)

Tygerlilylaka1 wrote:
Hi Ms. Kim :smileyhappy:

One of the things I enjoy most is the range of emotions the books have. This might be a totally off the wall question but, I've been wondering what (if anything) inspired the scene of line dancing vampires?

Whenever I hear the song I can think of nothing else and dissolve in a fit of giggles.

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Tonic.

I've never detailed that out in the books, but I imagine it involves a voiced commitment from the person, along with a token (or more) amount of blood. It's the undead vampire that is really in charge. I suppose if they wanted to, they could force themselves upon an unwilling person, taking what they wanted in terms of seeing through their eyes and such, but it just doesn't sound like something they'd do unless they really got off on tormenting one of their own. There are just too many willing volunteers.
--Kim

TONIC wrote:
How does a vampire make another person their scion?

New User
Nikki_86
0 Kudos

Hi Kim!!!
I was just wondering if you had any idea how long the Rachel Morgan series was going to last (and if so about how long?) or are you just going with the flow and the series will end when it's ready? Don't get me wrong I love the series and hope it doesn't end anytime soon.
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

But what about when a living vampire gets a scion? What's the scions job? What's the vampire's job? Are the vampires the only benefactor? What does the scion get?

Sorry for the question explosion. But as I said before, I'm a naturally curious person.
VV
Contributor
Avshar
0 Kudos

Ok this has been bugging me since i read it the first time but now that im re-reading A Fistful Of Charms i came across it again and it still doesnt make sense to me. Why did Aretha attack Pam? Other than the obvious, that she ran when confronted. It just always struck me as odd. The wolves and weres had lived together and hunted together and the wolves even attacked Rachel and Jenks the first time they met so what gives with this sudden turn around. I would think they would attack outsiders before people they have met before and accepted. Im not criticizing im just curious as to what i may have missed in the pages of that scene.
Contributor
bluenova3
0 Kudos

I guess I have a couple of questions and since I have the opportunity, I'll ask them! Kim, did you always want to be an author? Does writing come easy? Has it always? Did you ever think you couldn't do it? That you'd never come up with an idea or never get another one? Is it an inborn talent much like that of master musicians or great artists, do you think?
Ok, that was more than a couple. Sorry! I've just always wondered those things, and I could probably ask about a million questions, given the opportunity.

Kris
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Why didn't Rachel's scars disappear when she became a mink?
VV
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 207 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: