Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jlatn
0 Kudos

Re: Our Questions for Kim

Avshar,

Not to speak for our favorite wordsmith, but I do have quite a bit of expertise in this realm. Wolves, by nature, are pack animals. As such, there is always a 'pecking order' - an internal competition that could easily be considered part of the 'survival of the fittest' rules of engagement. Any sign of weakness is taken for vulnerability (even being wounded in some way, wolf packs have been known to destroy their pack mates!) and will be challenged by those in the pack that are: 1. lower on the 'pecking order' than the wounded/vulnerable one; 2. Their role in the pack is to keep it thinned out, to preserve the continued existence of the rest of the pack.

Add to the mix the fact that what she did to provoke that action was considered a 'fault', on her part, and you have the right mix for a full blown confrontation. By turning tail, she antagonized the situation and BOOM - the fight is on! What I also perceived, when I read "Charms", was that there was some kind of past conflict that already existed here...but, that could just my own 'reality'... ;-)

Hope I didn't 'speak out of turn', but wanted to 'help' if I could...

Avshar wrote:
Ok this has been bugging me since i read it the first time but now that im re-reading A Fistful Of Charms i came across it again and it still doesnt make sense to me. Why did Aretha attack Pam? Other than the obvious, that she ran when confronted. It just always struck me as odd. The wolves and weres had lived together and hunted together and the wolves even attacked Rachel and Jenks the first time they met so what gives with this sudden turn around. I would think they would attack outsiders before people they have met before and accepted. Im not criticizing im just curious as to what i may have missed in the pages of that scene.

Av
Contributor
jlatn
0 Kudos

Kim, you mentioned that you read SF books - what are some of your favorite books, past and present? Do you have any favorite authors?

Also, what inspires you to want to write and are there any other books you are planning or may be working on, outside of the current series you've published?

[Guess I should have saved some of these for future posts, huh?! Do you feel like you're getting barraged by phantom interrogators...!? Can't thank you enough for putting up with our crazy questions!!]
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

Kim,
Are you enjoying this forum? Or do you prefer the way discussions are held on your website? I was also wondering if there are any other threads that you would be interested to see discussions on? I think the ones so far have been really enlightening :smileyhappy:
Sarah
Contributor
Avshar
0 Kudos

jlatn wrote:
Avshar,

Not to speak for our favorite wordsmith, but I do have quite a bit of expertise in this realm. Wolves, by nature, are pack animals. As such, there is always a 'pecking order' - an internal competition that could easily be considered part of the 'survival of the fittest' rules of engagement. Any sign of weakness is taken for vulnerability (even being wounded in some way, wolf packs have been known to destroy their pack mates!) and will be challenged by those in the pack that are: 1. lower on the 'pecking order' than the wounded/vulnerable one; 2. Their role in the pack is to keep it thinned out, to preserve the continued existence of the rest of the pack.

Add to the mix the fact that what she did to provoke that action was considered a 'fault', on her part, and you have the right mix for a full blown confrontation. By turning tail, she antagonized the situation and BOOM - the fight is on! What I also perceived, when I read "Charms", was that there was some kind of past conflict that already existed here...but, that could just my own 'reality'... ;-)

Hope I didn't 'speak out of turn', but wanted to 'help' if I could...

Avshar wrote:
Ok this has been bugging me since i read it the first time but now that im re-reading A Fistful Of Charms i came across it again and it still doesnt make sense to me. Why did Aretha attack Pam? Other than the obvious, that she ran when confronted. It just always struck me as odd. The wolves and weres had lived together and hunted together and the wolves even attacked Rachel and Jenks the first time they met so what gives with this sudden turn around. I would think they would attack outsiders before people they have met before and accepted. Im not criticizing im just curious as to what i may have missed in the pages of that scene.

Av

Actually i read that wolves only kill within the pack if it comes down to survival issues like a food shortage or a member being injured so badly they wont get better and even in those cases they tend to stick to just driving them out of the pack rather than go straight for the kill but maybe im reading the wrong materials i dont know. There are fights for dominance but unless the weaker one doesnt give up the fight it usually doesnt include death. That is what i have read anyway so like i said maybe im wrong.
-Paranoia is just another word for longevity.
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Tonic asked
"Why didn't Rachel's scars disappear when she became a mink?"

That was a typical Earth Witch charm she did so it didn't make any permenant changes to her body. Samething for Nick.

When she became the red wolf, it was a different type of spell, a curse I think and much more powerful. It healed all of her visible physical afflictions like scars and freckles but not the bite she got from Al. The scar is gone but the virus is still there.

I hope this is right. Someone may correcxt it if I muddled it up.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Nikki.
I originally started the series as a three, and then a six book series, and the original six-book story arc will end with this next book, but never fear. I've got threads of the next story arc already in the last one released, so who knows how long the series will go? (grin) I've got a lot for Rachel to say, so with some luck, it will be a long-running set of books.
--Kim

Nikki_86 wrote:
[...]I was just wondering if you had any idea how long the Rachel Morgan series was going to last[...]

Learn more about For a Few Demons More.
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

You mean like if Ivy got Rachel for a scion? It would be just about the same relationship, but on a reduced level. That's why Rachel is holding back. She's a leader, not a follower. Not even a follower of a powerful vampire. And not even if it would give her security against other vampires. Does that help?
--Kim

TONIC wrote:
But what about when a living vampire gets a scion? What's the scions job? What's the vampire's job? Are the vampires the only benefactor? What does the scion get?

Sorry for the question explosion. But as I said before, I'm a naturally curious person.

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Avshar.
Aretha attacked Pam because Pam was an alpha female in her territory. When Pam was in her human form, Aretha could ignore her, but when she went wolf, and then fled? Well, Aretha was going to put her down, and she did.

Avshar wrote:

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Kris.
Did I always want to be a writer? Nope. I didn't have a clue until I actually started writing about twelve years ago. I fell in love with it, and never looked back. Writing has always come easy as far as me finding the fortitude to sit down and do it, but the mechanics of it were hard, and still are to a degree. Did I ever think to give up? Once, for about fifteen minutes, after my first rejection, then I got mad and resolved that this one person who looked at my first few pages wasn't going to dictate to me what I was going to do. I've never had a worry that I would run out of ideas. It's the opposite, actually. Is it an inborn talent? No, I really don't think so, but I think that there are definite personality traits that really help the process, and I think to an extent that all writers share them to some degree. Wow, that was a lot of questions!
--Kim

bluenova3 wrote:
I guess I have a couple of questions and since I have the opportunity, I'll ask them! Kim, did you always want to be an author? Does writing come easy? Has it always? Did you ever think you couldn't do it? That you'd never come up with an idea or never get another one? Is it an inborn talent much like that of master musicians or great artists, do you think?
Ok, that was more than a couple. Sorry! I've just always wondered those things, and I could probably ask about a million questions, given the opportunity.

Kris

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Because it was an earth charm that she used. Only demon charms have enough power to really change a person down to the cellular level.
--Kim

TONIC wrote:
Why didn't Rachel's scars disappear when she became a mink?

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Jlatn,
Ah, somewhere on this site is a list of my ten favorite books. Pleeeeeese don't make me try to remember them! (grin) But my favorite author list has to include Heinlen and Anne McCaffery. (sorry about the spelling) Ray Bradbury is another favorite. I love his writing voice. As for what inspires me? Usually the characters themselves, or sometimes popular music.
Right now I'm working on a new young adult series that I think will start this spring. The short story that started it is in the anthology PROM NIGHTS FROM HELL under Meg Cabot.
--Kim

jlatn wrote:
Kim, you mentioned that you read SF books - what are some of your favorite books, past and present? Do you have any favorite authors?

Also, what inspires you to want to write and are there any other books you are planning or may be working on, outside of the current series you've published?

[Guess I should have saved some of these for future posts, huh?! Do you feel like you're getting barraged by phantom interrogators...!? Can't thank you enough for putting up with our crazy questions!!]

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Heck yeah! I'm having a great time! But I think I'm going to continue with what I've got going on my website. I like that it all goes away eventually. ;-) As to the threads? Nah, I don't have anything new I'd like to see. You guys do a great job picking the books apart without me interfering!
--Kim

sarahn1080 wrote:
Kim,
Are you enjoying this forum? Or do you prefer the way discussions are held on your website? I was also wondering if there are any other threads that you would be interested to see discussions on? I think the ones so far have been really enlightening :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Will we ever find out what Rachel's summoning name is? Or is it that really long mesh of names?
VV
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Hi, would you mind if I started a "Ivy's Wish" thread?
VV
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Jamie,

Follow this link to find out what Kim's 10 Favorite Books are:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/writers/writerdetails.asp?z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=MWSC&cid=1714483#bio

It's in our Meet the Writer's section under Kim's interview.

KimHarrison wrote:
Hi Jlatn,
Ah, somewhere on this site is a list of my ten favorite books. Pleeeeeese don't make me try to remember them! (grin) But my favorite author list has to include Heinlen and Anne McCaffery. (sorry about the spelling) Ray Bradbury is another favorite. I love his writing voice. As for what inspires me? Usually the characters themselves, or sometimes popular music.
Right now I'm working on a new young adult series that I think will start this spring. The short story that started it is in the anthology PROM NIGHTS FROM HELL under Meg Cabot.
--Kim

jlatn wrote:

Stephanie
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Tonic.

Yup, we do. ;-)and it is indeed the mesh of three of Jenks's kids names.
--Kim

TONIC wrote:
Will we ever find out what Rachel's summoning name is? Or is it that really long mesh of names?

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

I think that's an excellent idea!
--Kim

TONIC wrote:
Hi, would you mind if I started a "Ivy's Wish" thread?

New User
solarest
0 Kudos

Re: Young Adult series?

Hi Kim,

Can you tell us anything about the young adult series you're working on? I need more of your books to read. :-)

Thanks!

Sandy
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Is there a solid reason for why Ivy stopped practicing?
VV
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

Kim,
Will we ever learn what Ivy's wish was?
Sarah
Users Online
Currently online: 67 members 724 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: