Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Re: Young Adult series?

Hi Sandy.
I'd love to! The first short story, MADISON AVERY AND THE DIM REAPER, is out in the PROM NIGHTS FROM HELL anthology under Meg Cabot. It introduces Madison Avery, a high school student who suddenly finds herself, well, dead. It opens up an entirely new world to her, with a new set of problems. Harper Teen is going to do a three-book series, the first of which I believe will be out this spring. I'm working on it now. ;-) It is targeted to the young adult market, but it should be a good read for just about anyone since the only thing I took out of my work was the sex. (grin--Kim

solarest wrote:
Hi Kim,

Can you tell us anything about the young adult series you're working on? I need more of your books to read. :-)

Thanks!

Sandy

Learn more about For a Few Demons More.
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Re: Our Questions for Kim

I think she stopped because she knew Rachel wouldn't be comfortable living with her if she knew Ivy was still practicing. The funny thing is now that Rachel knows a few things, she's more comfortable when Ivy practices then when she doesn't.
--Kim

TONIC wrote:
Is there a solid reason for why Ivy stopped practicing?

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

You bet, Sarahn. But you're going to have to keep guessing until 2009 when the seventh book comes out. (evil author grin)
--Kim

sarahn1080 wrote:
Kim,
Will we ever learn what Ivy's wish was?

Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

So Ivy stopped for 3 years because Rachel didn't like it? Do you mean back when they were partners? And has Ivy been hunting Rachel over the years they've been friends?
VV
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

What was the meaning behind the earrings? The ones Ivy wore in FOC.
VV
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Ivy didn't stop because Rachel wouldn't like it. She stopped because she didn't want to scare Rachel as well as Ivy trying to make a break from vampire politics. If you read the short story in DATES FROM HELL, it gives you a pretty good idea of what's going on in Ivy's head. And yes, Ivy stopped shortly after meeting Rachel, though Rachel was only a small part in the decision. I'm not sure when Ivy started hunting Rachel. I don't think Ivy knows either. It just sort of happened.
--Kim

TONIC wrote:
So Ivy stopped for 3 years because Rachel didn't like it? Do you mean back when they were partners? And has Ivy been hunting Rachel over the years they've been friends?

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Excellent question, Tonic. I put Ivy wearing earrings for a real reason. (grin) Why do you think she started wearing earrings?
--Kim

Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Because she likes Rachel and is mimicking her? Doubtful but maybe. Giving Jenks a place to sit? maybe. I don't remember what Ivy's ear rings were like. I'm a guy and don't pay attention to accessories sometimes. :smileywink:
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

they were golden studs right Kim?
VV
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Maybe Ivy sensed that Rachel might try the whole blood sharing thing? I DON'T KNOW! Maybe it was because Ivy was out of town and out from under Piscary's protection? Maybe the earrings acted like Jenk's red bandana? Or it could be a sign of her rank in the vamp world? I just don't know. I don't even have good guesses. Will Ivy tell us?
VV
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Would Rachel really kill herself if Ivy and Jenks died? Or was she just caught up in the moment back in that conference room? Do they mean that much to her?
VV
New User
kaiyotea
0 Kudos

This question has been bugging me for a while. In the first chapter of DWW, right before Rachel tags the leprechaun, she was speaking to a human patron of the bar and in order to scare him she spoke using a Hollows accent. And I cannot recall the subject of a Hollows accent ever being mentioned again. What is a Hollows accent? Is it an accent that everyone associates with Inderlanders? Or is it a regional thing, having to do with the fact that the Hollows is located in Kentucky? I suppose the question should be: What did a Hollows accent sound like to you when you were writing it? Thank you.
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Yup, Tonic has it right. They were gold studs. Understated.
--Kim

TONIC wrote:
they were golden studs right Kim?

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Good guesses, but nope. And Ivy won't tell why she's wearing earrings, or changing her hair style, or anything like that. ;-)

TONIC wrote:
[...] Will Ivy tell us?

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

I don't think Rachel was even thinking that she was going to die. Sure, she had a thought about it, but she still thought at that point that she was indestructable. Either that, or she wasn't thinking at all. Much of her decision was focused on getting rid of the curse, not "They're dead, I have nothing to live for." It was more, "They're dead, I have no reason not to risk myself further if it will prevent a species war."

TONIC wrote:
Would Rachel really kill herself if Ivy and Jenks died? Or was she just caught up in the moment back in that conference room? Do they mean that much to her?

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Kaiyotea.
I always thought a Hollows accent was more the cadence of speech rather than a drawl or crispness. Specific pacing of words.
--Kim

kaiyotea wrote:
[...]What is a Hollows accent?[...]

Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Hi Kim,

Not a FDM question, but wondering: What made you decide to write out side the Hollows universe? What was it that drew you to YA? And when will your first full length YA be out?

Thanks,
Vicki

Learn more about The Taste of Night, The Scent of Shadows,
and the Holidays Are Hell anthology (coming in November).

Readers are always welcome to visit and contact me at: www.vickipettersson.com
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Will we find out the meaning behind the earrings and hair from another vampire?
VV
Frequent Contributor
Sami_M
0 Kudos

Hey Kim, My question is do you know the name to all of Jenks's kids or just some of them? -Sami
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

As a part 2 to Sami_M's question, Do they all start with 'J" and why?(if they all do) Is it a Pixie thing?
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 708 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: