Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
mcatwag
0 Kudos

Re: Our Questions for Kim

Hi Kim,

My wife has been posting on your website, I just finished For a Few Demons more, and had a few question. While you may not be able to answer it and stay completely PC with your editor/publisher, I've just got to know.

Spoiler

Spoiler

In FDM, Ivy and Rache briefly share a kiss. (fantastic by the way- THANK YOU!). My question is was it difficult for you and the editors/publisher to explore this and risk alienating some fans?
Frequent Contributor
Sami_M
0 Kudos

Hey Kim, Do you know about when we can get an excerpt for Holidays are Hell? Can't wait for it to come out. -Sami
New User
ripkist1088
0 Kudos

Hi Kim-

To start off I just want to say that your book are the best books I have ever read in my life. I spend my days endlessly reading and your books are the only ones I seem to dance with.

My question is, when will your next book be released???

Much love,
Hannah
New User
stephsmiley
0 Kudos

I think Ivy cut her hair to symbolize one of two things: 1) a symbol of her loss of power; as in now Piscary’s will is stronger or more important than her own; or 2) to symbolize a major change in her life. I seem to remember something about the cutting of long hair as a shedding of the “old life” for the new. Then, also the cutting of hair can symbolize a loss of power.

As for Ivy’s new earrings. I seem to remember the mentioning of jewelry with the vamps a lot, like Kisten giving Rachel that bracelet. Then, Ivy had one like it. I think Skimmer had one too (??). But I seem to remember it mentioned a lot throughout the books—jewelry. I think the golden studs recognizes that she belongs to Piscary—the top dog! I think her hair being cut is in conjunction with these studs—a symbol. I’m going to pay close attention to whether she regrows her hair or changes her earrings in the next book!

Ms Kim: Hot or cold [You're not going to say, huh?--evil and heartless! :smileyhappy: ]
Frequent Contributor
Sami_M
0 Kudos

ripkist1088 wrote:
Hi Kim-

To start off I just want to say that your book are the best books I have ever read in my life. I spend my days endlessly reading and your books are the only ones I seem to dance with.

Much love,
Hannah

Hi Hannah, I think I can answer that one for you. She has an anthology called Two Ghosts For Sister Rachel in Holidays Are Hell coming out in November. Then The Outlaw Demon Wails comes out in March. Hope I helped.

Sami
Contributor
aericka
0 Kudos

I think that Ivy cut her hair short and is wearing earrings because she is drawing more attention to her neck, remember the vampire dateing guide? If you wear your hair certain ways, I don't remember the specifics, and wear jewelry a certain way it means different things. Just my guesses =) Maybe she feels like she can show she's more available with skimmer around Rachel wanting to bite her?
Contributor
aericka
0 Kudos

Hi Kim. I was wondering if you ever thought about who you would want to play any of your characters if your books would become movies? I was trying to think of who would play the girls but I can't think of anyone who fits well enough. Ivy especially, you would need someone with both depth and athleatisim Although I do think that Joaquin Phoenix (I probably butchered that spelling) would make a good Trent =)

Aericka
Frequent Contributor
Melisa
0 Kudos

Maybe I’m just looking at it in a more simple light but I agree with Aericka and Kim says Ivy has a real reason for her earrings. The changes to her hair prob are too- I’m thinking she’s just doing what any girl with a crush would do: get all dolled up for that person.

Melisa

aericka wrote:
I think that Ivy cut her hair short and is wearing earrings because she is drawing more attention to her neck, remember the vampire dateing guide? If you wear your hair certain ways, I don't remember the specifics, and wear jewelry a certain way it means different things. Just my guesses =) Maybe she feels like she can show she's more available with skimmer around Rachel wanting to bite her?

Frequent Contributor
Melisa
0 Kudos

Okay a couple of questions about the demons: What’s going on between Minias and Rachel? What was with the cryptic way he was looking at Rachel and told her he could change his eyes (in FDM)? I’m very intrigued by him. Can demons love? Kim, you stated they have souls in FDM but then why are they so evil compared to even the undead who have no souls?

By the way why did Minias want the perfume from Rachel’s dresser?

Melisa
New User
ripkist1088
0 Kudos

Thanks very much!
New User
Stormy
0 Kudos

I live about 30 minutes from the area known as the "Hollows", is it somewhat southern with a slow slurring of words...does that make sense....LOL. :smileyhappy:
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Vicki!

I decided to try my hand at young adult because that was were I first fell in love with reading and my favorite authors that I admire come from there. That, and HarperTeen asked me too. (grin) From a business standpoint, it's always a good idea to diversify, and though I'm still under the same publisher, I'm working with different people. The short break I'll get from the Hollows will do me good. And finally, the word count is considerably different from what I'm used to, so the practice in consciously planning out a story to a certain length will be invaluable.

The first book, which I've tentatively titled DEAD ONCE, TWICE SHY, was scheduled for a spring release last time I heard, but I'm not holding my breath. ;-)

--Kim

VickiPettersson wrote:
Hi Kim,

Not a FDM question, but wondering: What made you decide to write out side the Hollows universe? What was it that drew you to YA? And when will your first full length YA be out?

Thanks,
Vicki

Learn more about For a Few Demons More.
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Nope. It's up to the reader to figure out. ;-)

TONIC wrote:
Will we find out the meaning behind the earrings and hair from another vampire?

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Sami.

Just some of them! There's a list, I think, on the Hollows Yahoo! group of his kids, but I've not been keeping track.

--Kim

Sami_M wrote:
Hey Kim, My question is do you know the name to all of Jenks's kids or just some of them? -Sami

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Vampyre.

Yes, they all start with J, and it's a pixy thing to name children after the sire's initial. There's also a tradition that the number of letters in each name increases as does the "brood." So Jenks was born earlier in his family then Matalina was born in hers.

--Kim

Vampyre wrote:
As a part 2 to Sami_M's question, Do they all start with 'J" and why?(if they all do) Is it a Pixie thing?

Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Kim,

Writing what you love ... yeah, I get that. {G}

And I can't wait to read it. It'll be just one more way for me to get my Harrison fix.

Vicki

Learn more about The Taste of Night, The Scent of Shadows,
and the Holidays Are Hell anthology (coming in November).

Readers are always welcome to visit and contact me at: www.vickipettersson.com
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Mcatwag.

Nope, it wasn't hard at all, but I have a fantastic editor who helps me keep everything together. Finding and maintaining that balance between story and what is "financially wise/safe" to publish has been a fascinating exercise for me. And I just love watching these two ladies grow as people even when they don't always get what they want.

--Kim

mcatwag wrote:
Hi Kim,

My wife has been posting on your website, I just finished For a Few Demons more, and had a few question. While you may not be able to answer it and stay completely PC with your editor/publisher, I've just got to know.

Spoiler

Spoiler

In FDM, Ivy and Rache briefly share a kiss. (fantastic by the way- THANK YOU!). My question is was it difficult for you and the editors/publisher to explore this and risk alienating some fans?

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Sami,

Mmmm, let me think. We've just got the ARCs, and it's due out in late November, so I'm going to guess September, maybe late August?

--Kim

Sami_M wrote:
Hey Kim, Do you know about when we can get an excerpt for Holidays are Hell? Can't wait for it to come out. -Sami

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Hanna.

Thank you! I'm really glad you're enjoying the Hollows so much. Any day I can work there is a good day. ;-) There is a novella about Rachel and Robbie that will be published in the anthology HOLIDAYS ARE HELL this November, and after that will be the full-length novel THE OUTLAW DEMON WAILS in March 2008.

Vicki Pettersson, who's visiting this board for a while until hers comes up this August, has a novella in the anthology, too.

--Kim

ripkist1088 wrote:
Hi Kim-

Much love,
Hannah

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Stephsmiley,

You really want to know?

--Kim

stephsmiley wrote:
I think Ivy cut her hair to symbolize one of two things: 1) a symbol of her loss of power; as in now Piscary’s will is stronger or more important than her own; or 2) to symbolize a major change in her life. [...]Ms Kim: Hot or cold [You're not going to say, huh?--evil and heartless! :smileyhappy: ]

Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 332 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: