Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Re: Our Questions for Kim

Oooh, I like that guess!

--Kim

aericka wrote:
I think that Ivy cut her hair short and is wearing earrings because she is drawing more attention to her neck,[...]

Learn more about For a Few Demons More.
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Aericka.

I try really hard not to think about who would play the parts in a Hollows movie because I probably won't have any say in the matter, and I don't want to be disappointed. However . . . I've always been partial to Sting in the roll of Al, or maybe Johnny Depp.

Do we need to start a new thread, maybe? I'd love to hear everyone's ideas.

--Kim

aericka wrote:
Hi Kim. I was wondering if you ever thought about who you would want to play any of your characters if your books would become movies? I was trying to think of who would play the girls but I can't think of anyone who fits well enough. Ivy especially, you would need someone with both depth and athleatisim Although I do think that Joaquin Phoenix (I probably butchered that spelling) would make a good Trent =)

Aericka

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Melisa got it right! Ivy was paying more attention to how she looked because she was trying to look nice for Rachel. (big grin) Although, there is another reason as to why she chose to cut her hair in the style it was.

--Kim

Melisa wrote:
Maybe I’m just looking at it in a more simple light but I agree with Aericka and Kim says Ivy has a real reason for her earrings. The changes to her hair prob are too- I’m thinking she’s just doing what any girl with a crush would do: get all dolled up for that person.

Melisa

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Melisa.

Mmmm, Minias and Rachel. I've heard from more than a few readers about them. Demons, in the Hollows universe, can love. Why are they evil? Future stories will tell what bee got into their shorts. And why did Minias want the perfume? Why do you think? (grin)

--Kim

Melisa wrote:
Okay a couple of questions about the demons: What’s going on between Minias and Rachel? What was with the cryptic way he was looking at Rachel and told her he could change his eyes (in FDM)? I’m very intrigued by him. Can demons love? Kim, you stated they have souls in FDM but then why are they so evil compared to even the undead who have no souls?

By the way why did Minias want the perfume from Rachel’s dresser?

Melisa

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Stormy.

You live across the river? Cool!
--Kim

Stormy wrote:
I live about 30 minutes from the area known as the "Hollows", is it somewhat southern with a slow slurring of words...does that make sense....LOL. :smileyhappy:

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

No preassure, right? (grin)

--Kim

VickiPettersson wrote:
Kim,

Writing what you love ... yeah, I get that. {G}

And I can't wait to read it. It'll be just one more way for me to get my Harrison fix.

Vicki

Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

Kim,
You've hinted that Rachel has a new love interest coming...and that it is someone we have seen...not that we'd notice...my guess is a certain male witch that she has had both negative and positive contact with...one who she thinks is handsome, but has done people she loves (as well as herself) wrong in the past. I know that you can't give me a real answer, but can you at least say if I am hot or cold?
Sarah
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
"Hi Vampyre.

Yes, they all start with J, and it's a pixy thing to name children after the sire's initial. There's also a tradition that the number of letters in each name increases as does the "brood." So Jenks was born earlier in his family then Matalina was born in hers.

--Kim"

Oh man, what is the last kid named, Jasnopicklelipsasmanic? By the time you call 'im to dinner it's time for breakfast! Wasn't the last one a girl? :smileyhappy:

OH btw, the on your comments page, the klutz at Spider-man 3 midnight show was me. I forgot to sign it.

Message Edited by Vampyre on 07-27-2007 01:59 AM
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Frequent Contributor
Melisa
0 Kudos

Haha Vampyre I think most of us knew it was you who left the comment- it had ur sense of humor all over it :smileyhappy:

Melisa
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Sarahn.

Lee? (grin) Yeah, you're right. I won't tell you. ;-)

--Kim

sarahn1080 wrote:
Kim,
You've hinted that Rachel has a new love interest coming...and that it is someone we have seen...not that we'd notice...my guess is a certain male witch that she has had both negative and positive contact with...one who she thinks is handsome, but has done people she loves (as well as herself) wrong in the past. I know that you can't give me a real answer, but can you at least say if I am hot or cold?

Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

Hi Vampyre. That was you who ran into the wall? (grin) I still say you did it with style.

Vampyre wrote:
[...]OH btw, the on your comments page, the klutz at Spider-man 3 midnight show was me. I forgot to sign it.

Message Edited by Vampyre on 07-27-2007 01:59 AM

Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

I heard once that if you can learn to fall and miss the ground, then you're flying.(Johnathan Livingston Seagull?) Sadly my aim is too good. I always hit the ground. :smileyhappy: The key is to do it with style and not get hurt in the process.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
New User
blackcattoes
0 Kudos

Hi Kim and Vicki,

This may seem like a simple question, I'm more curious than anything. When you first started writing, how did you reconcile all your day-to-day mundane activities with the urge to write? We all have our daily chores to do; walk the dog, feed the cat, wash the dishes, go to our job, eat, sleep, do laundry and all the other tasks we must do every day. How were you able to dedicate time to writing when "life" was constantly interrupting you? Does it get any easier or are you still having to juggle writing time and everything else?

Thanks!

~Judy aka blackcattoes
Reader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi Kim,

First off, I want to say that I love your books. I kept putting off reading them because I was in the middle of about 3 other series at the time, but once I picked up Dead Witch Walking I was completely sucked into the world you created (I read all five books in about a week and a half). The Hollows and the world it resides in are just such a fascinating place; I love it!

Anyway, my question for you, and you may have answered this in part already, is: Will there be a sort of a "big bad" (to steal a term from Buffy, my other fav butt-kicking heroine) in the series? Right now, Rachel is facing so much from all sides (Trent, demons, her ex, etc.), I was just wondering if maybe there is one figure behind them all, subtly pulling their strings. For a while I thought maybe Piscary, but now that seems unlikely . . .

Please keep the good reads coming!!

Patrick

Message Edited by pobrien6484 on 07-27-2007 11:33 AM
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Back to the reason Ivy cut her hair. Maybe she cut it so short cuz it's a boyish haircut? And Rachel likes guys. And she got it styled when Rachel said she liked it.
VV
Author
VickiPettersson
0 Kudos

Hi Judy,

Mmmm, good question. And one I used to ask published writers _all the time_. (I think I even asked it of Kim at one point. {grin}) My short answer is that it's a daily commitment to get to the page. Once I started to treat it like brushing my teeth - it's not an option, you just do it - then it got a little easier.

Mind, by easier I don't mean easy. It's not that. I happened to get my contract at the exact same time I got pregnant with my first child, and that was a bit frightening because I was barely getting it all done (and was a fairly slow writer) before. So scheduling my writing time has had to remain flexible (example: right now I get up at 4:30 am to get in three hours before the baby wakes) but what isn't flexible is that I do it. Everyday.

Help any?

Vicki

blackcattoes wrote:
Hi Kim and Vicki,

This may seem like a simple question, I'm more curious than anything. When you first started writing, how did you reconcile all your day-to-day mundane activities with the urge to write? We all have our daily chores to do; walk the dog, feed the cat, wash the dishes, go to our job, eat, sleep, do laundry and all the other tasks we must do every day. How were you able to dedicate time to writing when "life" was constantly interrupting you? Does it get any easier or are you still having to juggle writing time and everything else?

Thanks!

~Judy aka blackcattoes

Learn more about The Taste of Night, The Scent of Shadows,
and the Holidays Are Hell anthology (coming in November).

Readers are always welcome to visit and contact me at: www.vickipettersson.com
Frequent Contributor
Melisa
0 Kudos

o actually i hope it sin't lee- he hasn't struck my fancy. i see where u would have that idea though- it's so hard to guess though since Rachel has chemistry with just about everyone! you just have to pick ur favorites and hope for the best! however didn't Kim say that we would finally meet him in the upcoming book or books (im not sure which)? that makes it sound like we haven't really met him but then that could just be Kim getting all "pyschological" on us and saying we haven't truly met him??

Melisa
Frequent Contributor
Melisa
0 Kudos

Am i completely insane or is there a POSSIBILITY that Rachel is turning into a demon?

1 she can do demon magic
2 she’s an anomaly/ not even supposed to live with this weird blood type(is this why her kind isn't supposed to live?)
3 ceri wants her to stop all ley line magic
4 her father had wanted her to stop as well- went to great lengths to keep her away from it
5 she’s getting very involved and like them- has a summoning name/deals with their magic/ethics are getting very grey/can make the bells ring in the everafter/can hold more leyline than anyone thought possible/def has more magic capabilities in her than she knows and maybe more than anyone else even suspects
6 she took Tom’s circle which I’m not even sure Al can do

Feel free to tell me if i've gone insane waiting for the next book :smileyhappy:

Melisa
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

Melissa,
Kim said that we HAVE already met him about three books back...that is why I guessed him. Are there any other guys that you can think of? :smileyhappy: I am having a hard time thinking of anyone else :smileyhappy: Help!!

Sarah

Melisa wrote:
o actually i hope it sin't lee- he hasn't struck my fancy. i see where u would have that idea though- it's so hard to guess though since Rachel has chemistry with just about everyone! you just have to pick ur favorites and hope for the best! however didn't Kim say that we would finally meet him in the upcoming book or books (im not sure which)? that makes it sound like we haven't really met him but then that could just be Kim getting all "pyschological" on us and saying we haven't truly met him??

Melisa

Sarah
Frequent Contributor
sarahn1080
0 Kudos

Melisa, I'm sorry about adding the extra s to your name!
I don't think that you are crazy. I don't think that she IS a demon...all the way, but having some demon blood she may be part demon...I think!! Maybe...who knows?!

Sarah
Sarah
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 544 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: