Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Thewhitewave
0 Kudos

Poss Spoiler/speculation On Rachels True Origins

I only just got here in time...

Hi Kim, Hi Everyone...

Having just caught up with the fact that this board is running (I'm always late to parties...) I have an interesting question which has been brewing in my mind for some time now... If anyone can enlighten me as to whether I am indeed crazy or somewhere towards the right lines with my thinking I will be grateful...

I am just reading Few Demons More now so I apologise if this is covered later in the story.

OK Here goes

It seems that as we have gone through the Hollows series Rachel has gradually acquired "links and ties" to all of the major species. So much so that I am now beginning to wonder if she really is the pure blood witch that she thinks she is?

We know that witches can not cross with humans but what about Demons? And mores specifically what about Demons who had chosen to permanently morph themselves with Al's famous morphing curse? In the books we are told that the curse works at DNA level but I'm guessing that there would still be "differences" in the offspring which might explain why Rachel is the way she is...
Witches - You will seldom notice the good ones... :-)
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

Re: Poss Spoiler/speculation On Rachels True Origins

This is s good question. A few other people have been wondering the same thing. As far as I know, we don't know the answer yet.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Frequent Contributor
TONIC
0 Kudos

Wow. This really got me thinking. I don't know, maybe. It sounds possible.
VV
Frequent Contributor
Melisa
0 Kudos

Def been wondering if Rachel is part demon or turning into one. i posted my reasons/facts in here somewhere! (can't remember which thread right now- Vampyre or Sarah might remember)

maybe i'll re post later if i can't find it

Melisa
Frequent Contributor
Melisa
0 Kudos

Ok found it:

1 she can do demon magic
2 she’s an anomaly/ not even supposed to live with this weird blood type(is this why her kind isn't supposed to live?)
3 ceri wants her to stop all ley line magic
4 her father had wanted her to stop as well- went to great lengths to keep her away from it
5 she’s getting very involved and like them- has a summoning name/deals with their magic/ethics are getting very grey/can make the bells ring in the everafter/can hold more leyline than anyone thought possible/def has more magic capabilities in her than she knows and maybe more than anyone else even suspects
6 she took Tom’s circle which I’m not even sure Al can do

What do u think? Is there anything else u can think of?

Melisa
Contributor
Thewhitewave
0 Kudos

Hey - I like all that!

I kind of represent a school of thought which says that Demons have had a pretty bad press up to now... bit like Vamps in some stories :smileywink:

So my thoughts are that there is nothing wrong with this line of development. Its time for us to have a good Demon. I mean in the Hollows they are just another species so they can't ALL be bad. (Actually I have to admit to having a kind of warped affection for Big Al :0 Yes - I know I'm one CRAZY mixed up girly... )

I just hope that Kim has the courage as a writer to "take the path less travelled" and give us a truely unlikely heroine!
Witches - You will seldom notice the good ones... :-)
Author
KimHarrison
0 Kudos

This is a really interesting line of thought . . . ;-)
--Kim

Learn more about For a Few Demons More.
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

I like it and it's well thought out and makes sense. I wonder if the same can be said about her brother, Robby? Is he part daemon or not? Is this part of the reason they are estranged? Or maybe there is no daemon blood and it's all something else.
V^^^^V
Frequent Contributor
Melisa
0 Kudos

Hmm good point about Robbie I'm not sure how he fits into the theory quite yet. we really don't know anything about him yet- can't wait for the short story w/ him in it. i'm very interested in Rachel's family.

Melisa
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

The cool thing about the way Kim has written it so far is there are many many options open here. While telling us some great stories, she has,'t laid out any hard facts yet. This is good for a couple of reasons. She keeps us guessing and it makers her world and story arc much more dynamic. I'm really looking forward to seeing how things shape up as we get new stories and books.
V^^^^V
Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 578 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: