Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Herbs for coughs and colds.

Choisya wrote:
Who is awarding me Laurels???   Please desist!!   I do not want anything to do with that silly system!   :smileysad::smileysad:
Guilty as charged.  I'm still trying to figure out what to do with them!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Gardening: In Your Own Words (and pictures)

I was sorting through some old pictures of mine, and thought you might like to see some of them.  Assuming I can figure out how to post them here.

(***time passes***) 

Okay, I'm not having any luck.  I'm going to post them on my blog instead.  Follow this link:

http://the-garden-muse.blogspot.com/ 

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Thanks Becke - what a very cheering sight!  I especially liked the trees in blossom.  There are a lot of prunus in the area where I live and they are coming into bloom right now.  When they do I shall know that winter has ended:smileyhappy:
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Thanks Becke - what a very cheering sight!  I especially liked the trees in blossom.  There are a lot of prunus in the area where I live and they are coming into bloom right now.  When they do I shall know that winter has ended:smileyhappy:
When I moved to Cincinnati, which is about 400 miles southeast of where I lived in Chicago -- and one to one and a half zones warmer -- the first thing I did was start planting trees and shrubs that wouldn't have lived in Chicago.

The peach tree was a mistake -- it's right in the front yard and, beautiful though the blossoms are, it is very heavy fruiting and I end up with peaches all over the yard.  The neighborhood kids have a standing invitation to bring bags and load them up, but it's still a mess.  The birds love them, though!

The cherry tree was badly damaged during one severe winter storm, so there is a big scar in its trunk.  It didn't seem to hurt it, other than that.  I've lost a couple of star magnolias, even though those are pretty tough -- it was the severe cold that hit after they'd budded that wiped them out. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Gardening: In Your Own Words

There is a garden I see.  I ache to have it bloom in front of me.

There is a garden I crave.  I have no words to see it blossom, to be saved.

There is a garden before my eyes.  I see it wilt.  I see it struggle among the vines.

There is a garden with hope.  I see it, but with a cast that hides it behind it's leaves.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Beautiful, Kathy -- you do see the world through a poet's eyes!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Come Gentle Spring

becke_davis wrote:
Beautiful, Kathy -- you do see the world through a poet's eyes!

Becke,

Thank you ---- I guess.  If I write, spur of the moment on the board, like I did that night, heaven only knows what will come out of my head!  I wrote it, practically with my eyes closed, so I didn't really read it, I just felt it...if that makes sense.  I hit Submit Post, and closed down my computer for the night. I just now read it.  Hmm.... I hope it wasn't too painful to read.   I always feel a certain amount of pain during the week before Easter Sunday.  I remember the music I would sing  in the choir at church services that week.  It would bring me to tears.

Here is a poem that I wrote in April 2007.  I'm not sure if I'd given you this one.  It's about tears, and newness, and hope.  It seems appropriate to post today.

Kathy

Come Gentle Spring

Where is love, with flights of fancy?

Where is love, when works are cruel.

Where is love, this whim of mind?

Why can't I see, nights lost renewal.

Questions posed, and pen stands still,

Do I write, this grist for mill?

Thoughts are free, and  Spring is here!

To wondrous views, with gardens near.

Hear the sounds, of hearts delight,

I hear no sound, just the night.

Spring, come gentle Spring, don't be shy,

Let the night be night, and forbid me cry.

Keep me in Thy gentle hand,

when all is dark, upon this land.

Keep me tender, oft I cry,

Keep me loving, I gently sigh.

Show me spring, when birds are free,

Show me love, upon Your knee.

Let me stand, on earth so strong,

Hold me up, amidst the throng.

Caress the night, and show me sleep,

Dry my tears, lost and deep.

Hear my footsteps come to Thee.

How soft the earth, I cannot flee.

Gentle Spring, Come Gentle Spring!

I feel Your love, I now can sing!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Come Gentle Spring

If you overthink poetry, you can kill what inspired it.  This poem is a true "ode to spring."

I think a lot of people reading it, myself included, will find that it expresses their feelings about the season, too!

Frequent Contributor
Katelyn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Kathy, Beck, and Choisya,

I am lurking, but don't have a garden poem today.  The tree and garden service I used recently trimmed my five artic blue willows to two inches in height. They were formerly seven feet. This severe trimming is supposed to rejuvenate them and keep them from growing too leggy.  I hate looking at the spot where they used to be and am not in a poetic mood.  They tell me they will be four or more feet in two months. I keep going out to inspect the yard to look for shoots, but I only see the woody stumps were they used to be.  I have plenty of other stuff in my yard to look at but I still (temporarily) mourn my artic blue willows.

Kate

PS: I loved all your poems!

Message Edited by Katelyn on 04-28-2009 09:50 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Katelyn -- It does my heart good to see a lurker un-lurk herself!  Don't worry too much about your willows.  Lots of trees and shrubs benefit from rejuvenation pruning.  Sometimes nature does it -- deer regularly eat my sumacs to the ground, but they keep coming back.  Butterfly bush, forsythia, some hydrangeas -- there are lots of plants that get overcrowded and messy if they aren't cut back pretty sharply.  Some can even be cut down to the ground.  Of course, a combination of pruning and other factors (extreme cold or severe drought) could kill a severely pruned plant, but don't give up hope.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Hi, Kate. 

You've been off the boards for so long, I'd all but given up on you...I'm sure you've had a lot to 'lurk-about'.  How long, this time?

Sorry about your trees, maybe a poem of mourning, or a poem of rejuvenation would help?

K.

Katelyn wrote:

Hi Kathy, Beck, and Choisya,

I am lurking, but don't have a garden poem today.  The tree and garden service I used recently trimmed my five artic blue willows to two inches in height. They were formerly seven feet. This severe trimming is supposed to rejuvenate them and keep them from growing too leggy.  I hate looking at the spot where they used to be and am not in a poetic mood.  They tell me they will be four or more feet in two months. I keep going out to inspect the yard to look for shoots, but I only see the woody stumps were they used to be.  I have plenty of other stuff in my yard to look at but I still (temporarily) mourn my artic blue willows.

Kate

PS: I loved all your poems!

Message Edited by Katelyn on 04-28-2009 09:50 PM

KathyS

For Becke

[ Edited ]

Life's Toil

Clouds, you have brought in the rain

Tears, holding onto this pain

Yes, all is felt, within our hand

All is cared for, throughout our land

Trees lift their branches, to heaven above

Boughs bend, acknowledging this love

Precious time, we have on this earth

All are moments, giving life birth

Hear us now, our tears well again

Children forever, springs without end

Fill our gardens, our hearts ask now

Lift this breast, without burden of plow

Flowers look up, with warmth from the sun

Gifts come to us, when all work is done

Days end, as the garden is sown

Time stands still, when all is grown

Message Edited by KathyS on 05-03-2009 01:13 PM
Message Edited by KathyS on 05-03-2009 01:14 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: For Becke

[ Edited ]

Queen Kathy - Beautiful! So glad the muse is with you.  We've missed your poems.

Sorry I've been quiet the past few days, and probably will be for a few more.  This whole last month has been crazy for me, but hopefully by the end of this week things will be settling down again.  I need a break! 

(Coming back to add more)

Well, you can see that I'm functioning on very little sleep.  I just got the point of your title: duh!  Toiling away, that's me!!  You've given me a much-needed spurt of energy.

The other thing that helps, even though it's chilly and gloomy today, is that my Miss Kim lilacs are blooming like crazy and it smells WONDERFUL every time I open my front door!

Thank you for cheering me up!  Although, I've about had it with sad news.  First my husband aunt dies, then a good friend killed herself, and last night we learned that a young man who was in my daughter's high school class was killed in Iraq.  Please, does anyone have some cheerful news to share? 

Message Edited by becke_davis on 05-03-2009 05:10 PM
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: For Becke

becke_davis wrote:

Queen Kathy - Beautiful! So glad the muse is with you.  We've missed your poems.

Sorry I've been quiet the past few days, and probably will be for a few more.  This whole last month has been crazy for me, but hopefully by the end of this week things will be settling down again.  I need a break! 

(Coming back to add more)

Well, you can see that I'm functioning on very little sleep.  I just got the point of your title: duh!  Toiling away, that's me!!  You've given me a much-needed spurt of energy.

The other thing that helps, even though it's chilly and gloomy today, is that my Miss Kim lilacs are blooming like crazy and it smells WONDERFUL every time I open my front door!

Thank you for cheering me up!  Although, I've about had it with sad news.  First my husband aunt dies, then a good friend killed herself, and last night we learned that a young man who was in my daughter's high school class was killed in Iraq.  Please, does anyone have some cheerful news to share? 

Message Edited by becke_davis on 05-03-2009 05:10 PM

Becke, I wish I could write a poem that would tell you everything I feel, but this is a garden 'blog', and I have to reflect this into the subjects I write about.  I use these subjects as reflections.

I wanted you to know, in that poem, that our gardens are fragile, as we are. I started writing it after you told me about your friend who commited suicide.  And, again, coming after another death.  It seems that life doesn't start with spring, it goes though all seasons.  We plant our seeds, and watch them grow.  We gain our friends, and watch them go.

In the meantime, we work at preseving all that we have, now.  We shed our tears, as the clouds roll by.  We water our plants, and hear them sigh.  I can't help but hear the earth speak about life, and about death.  It just comes and blooms into our lives, as friends come to us.  We cry when they leave us.  Those same clouds that nurture us, also are our tears.

I know you said that we can over read what we write.  But I can't.  The more I write, the more I see.  The memories that we all share with the people in our lives, the ones we love, will always be there, because we see each season as belonging to them.

I don't know if these words will help you, but I know they come from my heart.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kathy - I'm speechless.  (Well, as much as I ever am...)  You put so much thought and feeling into that, I am overwhelmed.   That was so nice of you -- beyond nice, really.

Thank you so much.  It means a lot. 

KathyS
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud's musings - moved here

I'm sure flat Emma got lots of attention while she was at your house and has learned quite a bit about ceramics. I wish I could just stay with one thing and become efficient. Since I have no formal art background everything I do comes from books I read and since there are so many books I try many things. Not enough time to stay with any of them if I want to keep on finding more to experiment with.

But yes, journaling is one of my priorities, except that it has taken on an almost  cryptic quality, less writing, more guessing, more doodling. Since I feel that I won't be able to push one medium to the forefront, I play with a multitude. Take yesterday for instance: I had the "Hole in my Reality" idea early in the morning, then thought about it (about holes and what part holes play, how the hole might be the ultimate reality, how to fill the hole, why I'm feeling the need to fill the hole, childhood and its BIG holes, etc) and when I began to cut up photographs I knew that I wanted the first page to say "Tend Your Garden" meaning the garden of creativity. The idea has to do with the last page in Voltaire's "Candide" in which everybody contributes something to their little society. When Pangloss lists all the things Candide has overcome to get here, Candide answers: "Excellenty observed, but let us cultivate our garden."

From that first step I began to think of ideas that have formed me. Words to live by. Cliches I've heard all my life. Things my mother said. Ah, things my mother said,for instance: "It all comes out in the wash."

Not true, I thought, not everything comes out in the wash. From this I went to cutting out a bunch of little garments from old photos, drew a clothesline on the journal page, hung the garments on a chalked background (lightly chalked in pale blue, like a sky) and punched out a row of flowers with a punch for the bottom. The clothes are in shades and patterns of green and purple/lilac. So are the flowers. And for some reason I put a big purple circle where the sun is supposed to be. Now I am waiting for the next step.

And as I am waiting I am thinking of Rilke who said that we must love the questions like locked rooms or books written in a foreign language. We must live the questions. Well, I am living them right now, occasionally passing by the little pants and t-shirts on the clothesline, then returning to the computer empty-minded. Is the purple circle the hole in my reality? Or is the purple circle reality and the pale blue sky is the hole? Where do I write down my thoughts? If it doesn't all come out in the wash, why do we try so hard? Why stain sticks and spot removers? Why don't we just toss our old lives and try on brand new ones?

That's how my mind works.....no wonder I don't get anything done......pardon me while I check my uptight sunflower (I fed it some chopped banana peel this morning) and water the tomato plants.

KathyS wrote:

Your mind never ceases to amaze me!  I'd love to see some of this on your facebook, if you'd let us view it here?

I don't get prompted too much, these days, into making these kinds of projects.  Flat Emma is about as close as it gets! (she gets mailed tomorrow)

I know you're passion is into your journal writing, among your other ongoing creative projects.  I like to hear about all you do.

This project you're doing sounds somewhat like my final project in my college design class..three parts of a self portrait.  Lots of  thinking....cutting and drawing and painting...loved doing it, but a ton of work.  I was happy with the end result, (got an A :smileyhappy: ) but I don't think I'd do something like that again. 

All of my ideas usually go into my ceramic pieces, or it ends up in something I write about.  I used to work in metals,  I love copper...and my goal is still to finish my fountain.  It's only half finished right now...the ceramic part..I want to incorporate stain glass, and copper leaves and vines around it...and wind chimes will ring when the water strikes a leaf - I call it WaterSong. 

Illustrating a book sounds facinating to me, though.  I'd love to do book cover art, too, but I think it's a little late in my life to be thinking about that! 

Sunltcloud wrote:

This book prompted me, early this morning, to go through some of my thousands of photographs and cut holes in a bunch of them. I had finished my last journal and am embarking on a new one, and this one will be entitled "There is a hole in my reality." It will be a combination of all my projects, in a way garden-related in that everything I make grows from a seed in my mind into a finished piece of some sort. Using photos as backgrounds I will use chalk, watercolor, ink, charcoal, whatever it takes to combine photography with words and art. I am so glad my family did all the Memorial Day visiting on Saturday and I am just running back and forth between kitchen and living room/computer to cut, glue, write, chalk and spray my first pages.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Sunltcloud's musings - moved here

I can hardly wait until the technology is up for us to share our photos here!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud's musings - holes

Sunltcloud wrote: 

This book prompted me, early this morning, to go through some of my thousands of photographs and cut holes in a bunch of them. I had finished my last journal and am embarking on a new one, and this one will be entitled "There is a hole in my reality." It will be a combination of all my projects, in a way garden-related in that everything I make grows from a seed in my mind into a finished piece of some sort. Using photos as backgrounds I will use chalk, watercolor, ink, charcoal, whatever it takes to combine photography with words and art. I am so glad my family did all the Memorial Day visiting on Saturday and I am just running back and forth between kitchen and living room/computer to cut, glue, write, chalk and spray my first pages.

Sunltcloud wrote: 

I'm sure flat Emma got lots of attention while she was at your house and has learned quite a bit about ceramics. I wish I could just stay with one thing and become efficient. Since I have no formal art background everything I do comes from books I read and since there are so many books I try many things. Not enough time to stay with any of them if I want to keep on finding more to experiment with.

****Part of my going back to college  (in my forties) was to learn what I couldn't seem to teach myself, alone.  I need visuals in front of me.  I needed structure, and instructors, and lessons to guide me.  I knew this in the first class I ever had in art, my senior year in high school.  I was steeped in music up until that moment.  After years of art classes, the concept of what creativity meant, finally sunk in... structure wasn't all that necessary to create mental visions.

Your not being able to stay in one thing is not uncommon.  Especially as the creative mind searches .  I've spent my life going from one thing to another...learning.  I've experimented in just about every form of art, except computer art.  I've not studied that...just dabbled in it, as far as  some graphic skills.

Painting was a passion of mine.  The smell of oils was like a mind altering experience, my muse...and I experimented in many mediums, mixing them all.  Once I found I was accomplished at one thing, I went to something else...but, for me, ceramics was the only art that stayed with me, over twenty years.  Being with people who loved it as much as I did...helped a lot.   I took every art class that I could, just to have more mediums to learn about, and possibly to apply to my ceramic art.  Workshops after workshops, always learning from every individul, always something new and different.  I took classes in working with metals, to make jewelry, and learned how to manipulate it into my ceramic art... I took stained glass classes, so I could then take it into the ceramic pieces I make. Everthing I make comes from the earth.

Making bookends for authors is what I've been doing..each has a window in them of stained glass.  This is the ultimate test to see if I could work glass into the medium of clay.  These windows represent all of the knowledge that comes to me, by experimenting and reading and learning about what the end result needs to be.  I think we both love interpretive art.  What's in your mind, has to go out.  It has to be explained. In the window and out the window. What's in your thoughts, needs to evolve and become something visual.  I see this in these cut out holes.

But yes, journaling is one of my priorities, except that it has taken on an almost  cryptic quality, less writing, more guessing, more doodling. Since I feel that I won't be able to push one medium to the forefront, I play with a multitude. Take yesterday for instance: I had the "Hole in my Reality" idea early in the morning, then thought about it (about holes and what part holes play, how the hole might be the ultimate reality, how to fill the hole, why I'm feeling the need to fill the hole, childhood and its BIG holes, etc) and when I began to cut up photographs I knew that I wanted the first page to say "Tend Your Garden" meaning the garden of creativity. The idea has to do with the last page in Voltaire's "Candide" in which everybody contributes something to their little society. When Pangloss lists all the things Candide has overcome to get here, Candide answers: "Excellenty observed, but let us cultivate our garden."

From that first step I began to think of ideas that have formed me. Words to live by. Cliches I've heard all my life. Things my mother said. Ah, things my mother said,for instance: "It all comes out in the wash."

****I don't know if there really is an end result, to "being formed".   Sculpting, as I do, results always in questions and searching. There are many steps when working in ceramics.   But the times we do step back, are the times we tend our garden, sometimes speculating, sometimes reflecting, always wanting something manageable...just enough to move another inch forward in that search for the ultimate garden/sprouts/growth/bloom.

Watering  and feeding it becomes our search...but some of us never will come to find an end.  I think, in retrospect,  of the millions of questions I asked on Ilana's board, and the very few answers that I received.  In reality, it is all work. It's tuff sometimes, finding answers, or filling those holes/voids.  The wash does not always clean, resulting in a lot of grey - more questions.  For you, you see beautiful colors.  You're inventive in your search.

Not true, I thought, not everything comes out in the wash. From this I went to cutting out a bunch of little garments from old photos, drew a clothesline on the journal page, hung the garments on a chalked background (lightly chalked in pale blue, like a sky) and punched out a row of flowers with a punch for the bottom. The clothes are in shades and patterns of green and purple/lilac. So are the flowers. And for some reason I put a big purple circle where the sun is supposed to be. Now I am waiting for the next step.

****The metaphoic picture....ideas come to mean something in real visual art.  Green and purple/lilac...most of the colors in my garden are these variations of purples....I like those colors....they're restful, a cross between red and blue...two favorites of mine....hot and cold! Up and down - passion vs thoughtfulness.  I like the primary colors, because I am able to mix these, creating more, and more and more varied colors.  The infinate color wheel; stretching the palette...based on just three colors.

And as I am waiting I am thinking of Rilke who said that we must love the questions like locked rooms or books written in a foreign language. We must live the questions. Well, I am living them right now, occasionally passing by the little pants and t-shirts on the clothesline, then returning to the computer empty-minded. Is the purple circle the hole in my reality? Or is the purple circle reality and the pale blue sky is the hole?

****Good point!  Do you want to enter that space, or do you want to emerge from it?  Do you want to sit on the edge, and orchestrate/watching it come to you?  You're dealing with positive and negative space.  One contradicts the other.

Where do I write down my thoughts? If it doesn't all come out in the wash, why do we try so hard? Why stain sticks and spot removers? Why don't we just toss our old lives and try on brand new ones?

****You know you can't toss the old life...that you're stuck with.  Clothes get warn, full of holes...do we mend/patch them if they've just got a little hole in them, or throw them away?  I like old shoes, they're comfortable.  I do outgrow some of my clothes, sometimes not a good thing!  But it forces me to by something new and different.  If trying on new clothes makes you happy, then do it...as long as you can, take on adventures!  (I should take my own advice!)  I constently need a spark...or as Becke calls it, a muse. 

That's how my mind works.....no wonder I don't get anything done......pardon me while I check my uptight sunflower (I fed it some chopped banana peel this morning) and watered the tomato plants.

****How is the little sad face these days...any sign of change?  You're at least persistent!  Onward!

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: Sunltcloud's musings - holes

Kathy, you wrote a very thoughtful post. I printed it out to reflect on it. I think there are very few end results in life, even those tasks we seem to finish often are only forerunners of more ideas. I have always admired the life cycle of bulbs, the defiant growth in early spring, summer's splendor, the decline in fall, and finally the long rest period in winter. This can go on for years until the bulb is exhausted and what is left of it feeds the surrounding earth and becomes the fertile ground for the next plant. This is how I feel about my ideas. Wen the daffodils in my soul have lived long enough they become the guardians of the lilac bush. And that I am also fond of the lowly dandelions just adds another layer of beauty to my inner garden.

Ah, the little sad face, she has become an object of speculation. Some of my neighbors, when they see me watering, ask how she is doing and give advice. Consensus is that she looks pitiful. But I still can't believe that she will not open up again. Her demise was too quick. I don't do well with quick.  

KathyS wrote in part:

****I don't know if there really is an end result, to "being formed".   Sculpting, as I do, results always in questions and searching. There are many steps when working in ceramics.   But the times we do step back, are the times we tend our garden, sometimes speculating, sometimes reflecting, always wanting something manageable...just enough to move another inch forward in that search for the ultimate garden/sprouts/growth/bloom.

Watering  and feeding it becomes our search...but some of us never will come to find an end.  I think, in retrospect,  of the millions of questions I asked on Ilana's board, and the very few answers that I received.  In reality, it is all work. It's tuff sometimes, finding answers, or filling those holes/voids.  The wash does not always clean, resulting in a lot of grey - more questions.  For you, you see beautiful colors.  You're inventive in your search.

****How is the little sad face these days...any sign of change?  You're at least persistent!  Onward!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Sunltcloud's musings - holes

I have to say, I'm enjoying being on the sidelines of your discussions, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Keep it up, ladies!