Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Re: Gardening: In Your Own Words

First, I adore the writing about gnomes...I felt it on so many different levels. 

Second... I've figured out a way to get rid of snails without feeling like I've just destroyed a life.  We have a "garden trash" pickup each week, which is where I throw the weeds I don't want in my compost pile.  I just throw the snails in that trash can, and they can nibble away to their heart's content until whatever happens on their journey elsewhere.  Just passing on the nasty job to someone else, I know.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Brilliant idea, Par4!

I think we should come up with gnome names for ourselves, but I'm still recovering from a sleepless weekend and can't think of one right now. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Kathy -- If that was about anything other than a snail, I'd think it was really morbid. Can't really say that, though, since I want those nasty things out of my garden any way I can!

You're right, it was morbid...the first word that came to my mind, after I wrote that stupid poem last night was, macabre.  I don't have snails were I live.  I was at my daughter's house last week, and as I was leaving, I saw one was attached to the side of her house.  What made me think of it, at the moment you wanted my "prose", I don't know.  

Yes,  I did pry that snail off of the stucco, and  I did throw it into the street. I did it without thinking.  It was out of my hands, but no cars came by. 

My intention, I thought, was to be silly, or funny, but after I wrote it, I didn't feel funny.  Black humor, I guess.  But I left it at that. Free thought is sometimes unharnassed to the point of not making much sense, except by your shrink. :smileyhappy: 

All I could think about was writing something rediculous.  Making fun of myself, I suppose, and my writing.  I feel inadequate, at times.  And last night I took it out on that snail.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kathy: I think we all agree, the snail deserved it.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Oh Dear, I feel so guilty, now that you have pointed to a way out of being a snail killer. I've always added a step to the trash pickup phase....I've gotten them drunk first, which ended in death. Once (when I had a young family) I had a bigger garden that was shared by a duck, a rabbit, a tortoise, and occasionally a dog who would bark at the duck and while running away found himself attacked by the little mallard. The duck attached himself to the beagle's ear and the two of them flew past me with great speed.

Of course I had to devise a way to get rid of snails without using chemicals and since neither of my "helpers" liked them for dinner, I would put out a flat dish of beer into which snails crawled while inspecting the lawn in the early morning hours. By the time I was done with morning coffee and newspaper, ready to feed watermelon salad to the tortoise, raw carrot pie to the rabbit, and cracked corn to the duck, the dog would stand in front of the beer container, barking at the bubbles that burst from the last struggling snail.

Par4course wrote:

First, I adore the writing about gnomes...I felt it on so many different levels. 

Second... I've figured out a way to get rid of snails without feeling like I've just destroyed a life.  We have a "garden trash" pickup each week, which is where I throw the weeds I don't want in my compost pile.  I just throw the snails in that trash can, and they can nibble away to their heart's content until whatever happens on their journey elsewhere.  Just passing on the nasty job to someone else, I know.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud

Kathy, I think a shrink would have a field day with this one. I can so relate. While I usually transport spiders to the outdoors, I occasionally go on a rampage with the dust mop, trapping offenders between ceiling and mop surface. Carnage. Then I regret having squished them. And having to clean the ceiling.

As for snails, they were my first pets when I was around six or seven. I collected several of them in a shoe box in which I had built a landscape of rocks, moss, small branches etc. (In Germany we had snails with colorful houses with yellow/orange/brown stripes.) My mother made sure I left the shoebox outside and with the top on. The top had air holes. But one day I brought them into the bedroom, fell asleep, and the snails escaped. It was the first murder scene I witnessed. We lived upstairs and my mother tossed the ones she found through the bedroom window into the paved backyard.

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Kathy - I missed you all! I let myself be persuaded to share a room with three women in my writer's group. On Friday night we got less than 2 hours sleep. Not much more than that last night. I'm too old for this!

Kathy, you haven't posted any of your writing for awhile. Aren't we due for some of your prose, too? 

Becke, as long as you had fun, you're not too old!  Just don't stay up to late, tonight.  I don't want you getting sick!  The other mom has spoken! :smileyvery-happy:

As far as my prose....Let's see, now

I saw a snail this week

he was small and meek

I pryed him off the wall

and threw him into the street!

As a car drove by

he rolled with a sigh

He looked so sad

I started to cry

Another car beeped it's horn

he looked forlorn

CRUNCH! 

too late to save him

time to mourn

What have I done?

for a little fun

CRUNCH!  Again!

I took a life

I am undone

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

I used to love the spiders ... "come eat my bugs"... but no more.  I was bitten on the neck by a jumping spider (okay, my fault...he was crawling there and I grabbed him and threw him on the ground, but he bit me on the way) and it swelled and hurt for a long time!  No more spiders.   I wipe out their webs anytime and anywhere I find them near the house.  They can still be out by the fence, but not in or near my house.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

My deal with spiders is they can live in my yard but not in my house. The thought of a jumping spider is going to give me nightmares.
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Okay, don't read this if you don't want nightmares....We have these jumping spiders that have red spots on them....I really thought it was a black widow!   Fortunatelyl, I guess I stunned it by throwing it on the ground....I grabbed a little plastic bag and picked it up and took it with me on a very fast trip to the doctor.  They were amazed that I had it and that it was not squashed or anything (scared the heck out of the nurse)! :-)

As long as it wasn't a black widow, they just advised me to keep ice on it.  They called me later after they decided what it was.  It swelled up and was painful, then my lymph node swelled!  It's gone down now, but it's still got a small bump....and that was December! 

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Wow, that's a scary story. I once helped read water meters - often in the ground, in a dark box - and I was scared the whole time, because of black widow spiders, but if we had jumping spiders I probably would not even have gone near the boxes. Anything that jumps gets me unsettled. And I'm in awe of your presence of mind to take the spider with you to the doctor's office.
Par4course wrote:

Okay, don't read this if you don't want nightmares....We have these jumping spiders that have red spots on them....I really thought it was a black widow!   Fortunatelyl, I guess I stunned it by throwing it on the ground....I grabbed a little plastic bag and picked it up and took it with me on a very fast trip to the doctor.  They were amazed that I had it and that it was not squashed or anything (scared the heck out of the nurse)! :-)

As long as it wasn't a black widow, they just advised me to keep ice on it.  They called me later after they decided what it was.  It swelled up and was painful, then my lymph node swelled!  It's gone down now, but it's still got a small bump....and that was December! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, wait till I tell my daughter about these. She lives in Florida and has a couple of run-ins with brown recluse spiders. Luckily, she wasn't bitten.
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

What about the rest of you?  Or should there be a new thread about nasties in the garden?  I suppose most people who garden have some kind of story with nasty bugs, snakes, or something else?
KathyS

Time Changes Everything

[ Edited ]

Time Changes Everything

Parched earth and scared hands

draught ridden baked clay

impacts the land

on any given day

Tillers of soil, tillers of time

dirt crusted rocks

beaten so fine

Hand over hand, sifting through cracks

forcing the earth

broken are backs

Wind sweeping sod, clouds drifting by

where is the rain

down from the sky

Fists aimed to blue, the heavens above

worn and sore

knees bend in love

Skies open up, drops falling down

too weak to notice

water all around

Gardens destroyed, rains persist

falling on earth

hitting my fists

Water laden dust, mud everywhere

sprigs of grasses

float in despair

Down on my knees, I swear and cry

beseeching the heavens

to mend and dry

Drenched with desire, fast is the pace

blistered are hands

lifting my face

Clouds soon will part, a matter of time

back to the soil

my garden will shine

Message Edited by KathyS on 06-09-2009 03:45 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Time Changes Everything

Thanks so much for posting this, Kathy -- I love it when you get poetic!
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Thanks so much for posting this, Kathy -- I love it when you get poetic!

I had no choice.  It's either that, or cry over a dead snail! :smileyhappy:

This poem was for TiggerBear. 

I would have said that on the post, but this stupid posting program was giving me fits.  It wouldn't let me write it where I wanted it, by the poem!

As it was, I had to edit the poem a dozen times before it lined itself up, and accepted the format to which I'd written it....I don't get it!!  ...  I was getting so angry, I just about put my fist through the stupid monitor!  Instead, I got up and slammed my hand onto the stupid wall!....  I only have anger problems when dealing with these stupid computer programs!  Then I wrote something really stupid on Michelle's blog/post....sheesh!   I'm sure she must think I'm a stupid idiot!  It must be this stupid "June Gloom"! 

I need more sun! 

Weather sucks!

Everything becomes stupid when sun depravation happens! :smileyvery-happy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

You are better than I am at formatting things on this board, Kathy -- it's not easy getting poetry or prose lined up.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud

So much action, so much desire, and trust. Wonderful poem, Kathy. Worth every bit of frustration with the alignment.  
KathyS wrote:

Time Changes Everything

Parched earth and scared hands

draught ridden baked clay

impacts the land

on any given day

Tillers of soil, tillers of time

dirt crusted rocks

beaten so fine

Hand over hand, sifting through cracks

forcing the earth

broken are backs

Wind sweeping sod, clouds drifting by

where is the rain

down from the sky

Fists aimed to blue, the heavens above

worn and sore

knees bend in love

Skies open up, drops falling down

too weak to notice

water all around

Gardens destroyed, rains persist

falling on earth

hitting my fists

Water laden dust, mud everywhere

sprigs of grasses

float in despair

Down on my knees, I swear and cry

beseeching the heavens

to mend and dry

Drenched with desire, fast is the pace

blistered are hands

lifting my face

Clouds soon will part, a matter of time

back to the soil

my garden will shine

Message Edited by KathyS on 06-09-2009 03:45 PM

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wasn't sure where to post this, but this looks like our busiest thread right now. Sorry my posts have been so short lately. I've had a lot going on -- writing the new blogs for BN.com (don't know when it's going to be up, but it has a name: Garden Variety), writing for my regular magazines plus a new one, working on my fiction story, going to writing conventions and trying to keep up with all the family issues -- whew! If my hair wasn't pretty white to start with, it would be after the way this past year has gone.

Anyway, I'm leaving for Chicago (yes, again) early tomorrow and I'll be back late Monday or early Tuesday. I'll have my new laptop (yay!) so I'll check in when I can. I'll get to see both of my kids, which is a rare occurence since they live in different states. We're all meeting for my son's college graduation -- yippee! I'm a proud mama (THREE degrees!) but also relieved because we recently paid our last tuition payment. You cannot believe the relief!! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wasn't sure where to post this, but this looks like our busiest thread right now. Sorry my posts have been so short lately. I've had a lot going on -- writing the new blogs for BN.com (don't know when it's going to be up, but it has a name: Garden Variety), writing for my regular magazines plus a new one, working on my fiction story, going to writing conventions and trying to keep up with all the family issues -- whew! If my hair wasn't pretty white to start with, it would be after the way this past year has gone.

Anyway, I'm leaving for Chicago (yes, again) early tomorrow and I'll be back late Monday or early Tuesday. I'll have my new laptop (yay!) so I'll check in when I can. I'll get to see both of my kids, which is a rare occurence since they live in different states. We're all meeting for my son's college graduation -- yippee! I'm a proud mama (THREE degrees!) but also relieved because we recently paid our last tuition payment. You cannot believe the relief!! 

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Congratulations, Becke...and fantastic poem KathyS.