Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Time Changes Everything

Thank you...  I guess I have to think of it that way...worth it. 

But when something comes so easy, as writing that poem, even though I had to edit it a bit; dealing with the frustrations of getting it over here, in the way I intended it...grrr... 

I don't like editing and editing, dealing with changes I never intended, that were put upon me by an outside entity, this posting program...it infuriates me.  It shouldn't be that hard.  I've tried every which way, every program to transfer these things, but it's all the same...the font goes haywire, the lines don't line up, the whole thing is one big blur of words, making no sense at all.  Then editing once it finally resigns itself to being posted, is another issue.  Unless you type it directly on these boards, copy and pasting is so messed up.  Then I'm afraid someone will read the mess before I get a chance to correct it!  If we could just be a simple copy and paste job, it'd make my life so much easier!  Phew!

Sunltcloud wrote:

So much action, so much desire, and trust. Wonderful poem, Kathy. Worth every bit of frustration with the alignment.  

KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
You are better than I am at formatting things on this board, Kathy -- it's not easy getting poetry or prose lined up.

It dawned on me last night....I wrote it for someone who I don't think even likes poetry.  :smileysad:
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

I know what you mean; just as I sometimes lose a message because of timing out, I'm occasionally concerned that a post could land on the board prematurely with one wrong keystroke. When I cut and paste a memoir on the board I usually change the names (my family does not look kindly on publicity)and I have the vision of twice as many people showing up in the story as I had intended.
KathyS wrote in part:

Unless you type it directly on these boards, copy and pasting is so messed up.  Then I'm afraid someone will read the mess before I get a chance to correct it!  If we could just be a simple copy and paste job, it'd make my life so much easier!  Phew!

Correspondent
Par4course

This is a first stab, folks, so forgive any mistakes:

In the corners of my garden

Are the special plants I grow,

And each one holds a memory

for the nicest folks I know.

Here are irises and roses

And sprays of peonies,

And there's a couple lilacs

That grow as large as trees.

Each one's become a favorite

By its color, shape, or smell;

But the reason that they're special

Is a secret I shall tell.

Because these plants all mean so much

To folks I've never met;

And yet they are all special friends

From on the internet.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Par4Course - Garden Corners

[ Edited ]

Par4course wrote:

Garden Corners

And sprays of peonies,

To folks I've never met;

From on the internet.

If this is your first stab at writing a poem, you could have fooled me!  This is beautiful! And so touching...thank you for sharing your thoughts in words, with all of us!  :smileyhappy:

K.

Message Edited by KathyS on 06-15-2009 02:46 PM
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Re: Par4Course - Garden poem

Thank you.  I tried to help my daughter write a poem for high school once, and she hated it, so gave up writing.  (I've never considered myself very artistic in any way.)  Actually, I woke up in the middle of the night with the first two lines going around in my head, so had to think of an ending before it drove me nuts!  I don't think I've ever heard them before...don't think I'm copying anyone.

I never thought about giving it a title.... How about "Garden Corners"? 

KathyS
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:

Thank you.  I tried to help my daughter write a poem for high school once, and she hated it, so gave up writing.  (I've never considered myself very artistic in any way.)  Actually, I woke up in the middle of the night with the first two lines going around in my head, so had to think of an ending before it drove me nuts!  I don't think I've ever heard them before...don't think I'm copying anyone.

Poems are strange, you search until they're sought.

They sometimes come easy, sometimes not.

I have a hard time not rhyming!  I don't know if artistic has anything to do with it...but if it's stuck in your head, and driving you nuts, it just has to come out.  

I think emotionally.  I have music in my head every day of my life, and most of what I write becomes more lyrics to some beat that won't go away.  It's just what it is.

You haven't copied anyone, that I know of :smileyhappy:...and Garden Corners sounds like it fits.

Have fun with your writing!

K.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Oh, I love it. If this is a first stab, you dug deep. (pun intended!) I hope you printed the poem and saved it (in your journal if you keep one) to remind you later, how you started to grow poetic flowers.  
Par4course wrote:

And sprays of peonies,

To folks I've never met;

From on the internet.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

I keep pen and paper on my nightstand because I hate it if I wake up with lines in my head and have to go hunt for something to write them down. Most of my stories and poems start that way, with lines that won't go away.
Par4course wrote:

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Thanks - you are all very kind.  I actually wrote it out on chart paper for my students to read before I typed it on here --- wanted to be sure it wasn't too bad.  When they liked it, I thought I would try it here.  I will definitely try to keep a journal/writer's notebook, now that I know I can produce something others like.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Journaling is one of my favorite passtimes. I am obsessive. Use photographs, draw, doodle, cut out stuff, stamp things....much like a scrapbook. I always tell people that they'll have fun with journals as long as they don't feel they have to follow certain procedures or write neatly. Which reminds me, my gardening journal is still waiting for an improvement in the sunflower situation. That poor thing is still sitting out there - in the wind - no sun since it's been overcast for the last few days - not showing any sign of improvement. But not dead either.

I love it that you showed your poem to your students. I think it stimulates their creativity as well, if they feel that they are part of a project. 

Par4course wrote:
Thanks - you are all very kind.  I actually wrote it out on chart paper for my students to read before I typed it on here --- wanted to be sure it wasn't too bad.  When they liked it, I thought I would try it here.  I will definitely try to keep a journal/writer's notebook, now that I know I can produce something others like.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:

You asked your students to 'review' this poem, first?  Did you think we wouldn't like it?   Did you think we wouldn't care about the effort you put into it, the thoughts behind it?  You're mistaken if you did.

I know it's hard to put yourself out there, but I'd never thought of doing it with Fourth grade kids...hmm, a new approach to being accepted.  I just read a chapter of a book, written by someone on one of these boards...not bad.  I always find it interesting the avenues people follow to put their work/themsleves "out there", asking total sttrangers what they think of their writing. 

Maybe I should find that not so unusual, because everyone does it in their own way.  I've done it in my way, with friends; people I could trust to give me honest feedback.  I've done it on these boards (plural), but not blantantly, but still, wanting acceptance is probably the main theme off all of this.  A writers lament.

None of us want to make fools of ourselves.  I dread it daily, with everything I write.  Doubt is a scary prospect to find yourself surrounded by. But know you're not alone in your feelings.  Confidence will follow.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I hope you will all find this a "safe place" to display your creativity. I think everyone is very supportive of the effort that goes into any form of soul-baring, and writing is one of the most personal -- and risky -- ways of sharing our thoughts and feelings. I love to see more and more of you trying your hand at this. We have a lot of talent on this board!
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

You're right, trying it out on my fourth grade class was not very confidence-building.  Although I have a very polite class this year, they were rather ho-hum about the poem.  Their only remarks were about punctuation.  However, I decided to be brave anyway.:smileytongue: and I'm glad I posted it.  Next time, I try it out on all of you first!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:

You're right, trying it out on my fourth grade class was not very confidence-building.  Although I have a very polite class this year, they were rather ho-hum about the poem.  Their only remarks were about punctuation.  However, I decided to be brave anyway.:smileytongue: and I'm glad I posted it.  Next time, I try it out on all of you first!

You know, sometimes I get into a very intropective mood...last night was one of them....and I sometimes write those thoughts, they can seem doubting, but it's really just a way for me to weigh all of the pros and cons of a subject.

I think, for you to ask your class what their thoughts were about your poem, gave a lot of trust to them.  It showed your confidence in them.  Which I think was great. You, obviously, know that class well enough to open up to them.  I also think that showing your poem could have been a remarkable learning experience for that class...seeing what is in the mind of someone else, the thoughts written by others..... and seeing that they, themselves, could be capable of writing anything that moves them.  Maybe seeing your doubts showed them that it's okay, no one's perfect in anything they do.  In the end, it's about taking that risk, no matter what, and building that confidence from there.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

For those of you who are brave and want more feedback on your writing, you might want to check out www.editorunleashed.com. It's run by a former editor of Writer's Digest. Once you register, you can go to the forum and post scenes, poems, prose, short stories, etc. and get critiques. Sometimes the critiquers are harsh, sometimes not, but they are usually helpful. They are having a flash fiction contest there right now where you can vote on stories others have posted.
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

KathyS, you know me too well... I WAS hoping to encourage the students to try writing more themselves.  I always try to trust my kids, telling them stories about my childhood, letting them get to know me as a person with all my faults and failings as well as knowing me as a safe, knowledgeable adult.  I remember way too well what it feels like to be a kid. 

Anyhow, each year I have students that like to write, and those who have already learned to hate it (too much emphasis on processes and editing by previous teachers).  So I do my best to get them to enjoy writing.  When the first writing project gets started, I always get someone (Joel this year) who says "I hate to write"; and I always answer "Good!  Write about how much you hate writing."  Joel stared at me to see if I was serious, then grinned and started writing!

Guess I should apply it to myself, huh?

KathyS
0 Kudos

Yes, I know you well.  I've been a teacher.  I still am, for that matter,  I teach my grandkids.

I know what these minds are like at these early ages of developement.  I've watched them grow and expand.  I've seen the doubts and fears of not wanting to fail...  I've seen what home abuse can do to kids.  I've seen the negative sides, but thankfully, I've seen the positive.  Kids and their peers are at a constant battle, at times.  They battle themselves, as well.  To see the light come out of these eyes, to see their growth, and for them...knowing they've accomplished something they never thought possible...it says it all.

During an art class I asked my kids to draw things they knew nothing about....they said, "I can't".  I said, "yes, you can".

No matter what we teach, we do have to apply it to ourselves...or it isn't worth saying.

Par4course wrote:

KathyS, you know me too well... I WAS hoping to encourage the students to try writing more themselves.  I always try to trust my kids, telling them stories about my childhood, letting them get to know me as a person with all my faults and failings as well as knowing me as a safe, knowledgeable adult.  I remember way too well what it feels like to be a kid. 

Anyhow, each year I have students that like to write, and those who have already learned to hate it (too much emphasis on processes and editing by previous teachers).  So I do my best to get them to enjoy writing.  When the first writing project gets started, I always get someone (Joel this year) who says "I hate to write"; and I always answer "Good!  Write about how much you hate writing."  Joel stared at me to see if I was serious, then grinned and started writing!

Guess I should apply it to myself, huh?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love that so many of you are teachers. It's easy for me to believe that, because you all help each other, encourage each other and offer advice to each other on this board. Give yourselves a round of applause for making this a place people can come to talk and share and feel accepted by the "core" group.
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I love that so many of you are teachers. It's easy for me to believe that, because you all help each other, encourage each other and offer advice to each other on this board. Give yourselves a round of applause for making this a place people can come to talk and share and feel accepted by the "core" group.

Becke, it's one of the things I like about your board.  I haven't met one person I didn't like.  You're the teacher, here, Becke.  Your kindness and generosity always comes through in your words, setting an exceptional example. 

It can be a difficult medium, words, where we don't have that added dimension of a face or body language to make it a little easier to see someone, before we speak.  Having a common interest, such as "playing in the dirt", is a fun place to play, too!  Making mud pies, without the mud slinging, here!  :smileyvery-happy:

Speaking of mud, the kids and I worked outside all day, yesterday....and I found a few muscles that weren't there the day before. Ugh!  I've wacked and wacked at poor Rosemary....and the lavender...talk about an aromatic day!  The kids were echoing my thoughts...They said their noses "tickled"...the scent went right up our noses, and made us all sneeze!  The kids helped me a lot by picking up all of this stuff I trimmed.  My old back isn't what it used to be.

I've got a set of Malibu lights I'm removing...they're old, ugly, and don't work anymore, and the cord is UNDER Rosemary...she sat on it!  Now I have to figure out how to remove it, without chopping Rosemary to bits, or the cord in half with the hedger!  I don't want to electrocute myself! 

The kids are here, now, so I'm off for the day...building and painting a playhouse out of the box my new washing machine came in....!  The kids painted their pots, yesterday, so they can plant them with a flower, today.  I'm resting, and supervising!  Ha!

Later,

Kathy