Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Par4Course - Garden poem

Aww, Kathy, what a sweet thing to say!

I'm dragging a bit today. The past couple of weeks have been incredibly hectic, and sitting in the rain for five hours for my son's graduation ceremony didn't help my overall stamina any. I'm trying to get caught up on everything but the birds are singing, so I may sneak outside for awhile. Looks like rain later -- no surprise there. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Musings on a Saturday afternoon

The weather is foggy.  Dampness hangs on the tips of each blade of grass, flower, and plant leaf.  Little drinks of water.  Sun in barely in sight, on this Saturday afternoon, as I muse about the little people who live in and around, and under, all of these shadowed secret places in our gardens.

I wonder why they all live in our gardens, these fairies, gnomes, elves...little dragons and trolls?  What is it about gardens that attract these make believe creatures, or the minds that put them there?....any ideas?   Are they really make believe, when we've created them with faces and bodies, and lives all their own?

Even Peter Pan took the kids to his place that looked like a garden/tropical forest, or whatever it was.  He didn't live in a town, or a city, he lived in a place called Neverland.  It was absent of all the failings that surround large human creatures; a place where a child could go to be free. 

I'm beginning to think that make believe is a place in which we take our minds, someplace that runs along the order of peacefulness;  a child's dream of never growing old, or never growing up.

But why a flower garden?  Flowers talking to each other, or arguing with a weed, wilting from thirst, or needing nouishment....is this all that is required of them?  They have a life span, just like humans.  But where do these make believe creatures come into this?  They don't have life spans, they never die or go away, it seems.  Are they there to play and keep the flowers and plants happy with their company on this journey of life?  Are we able to see them for this same reason?

Maybe there is something to this, after all.  Birds, butterflies, bees...hummingbirds, everything has a life span, but in the meantime they enjoy what these gardens can give them, and what they can give back to these gardens.  There is a beauty that blooms in this life cycle, put on earth to share with all of us. 

We've dreamt of a way to keep our garden realms happy, by creating little 'caretakers' to see to them along their journey.  

We tend our gardens, and our gardens will tend us.

Kathy

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Re: Musings on a Saturday afternoon

[ Edited ]

What lovely musings you have, Kathy.  Not only do you paint lovely pictures with your words, but you make me think with your questions.

Years ago, when I was switching from teaching upper elementary to Kindergarten, I read a book called "The Magic Years".   It states that up till about 3rd or 4th grade (when kids start asking if there is really a Santa Claus), everything really is able to be full of magic in childrens' minds.  If you used 'white-out' to correct a mistake and tell a child it's magic paint, that's what they believe it to be -- magic.  And when you consider that I still don't know exactly the scientific formula that makes it work, I guess it is a type of magic.

I think we all want to keep that magic in our lives, even we must admit to growing up and "knowing better".  When my own daughter (who is now 30) asked many years ago if there was really a Santa, I replied "If there isn't, I guess we should not do things like put up stockings or leave cookies and milk for him."  ...... We still hang up stockings and leave out cookies.

The same with gardens and magic - just seeing things grow is a magical thing, and so magical creatures MUST live there.    Just my opinion.

Message Edited by Par4course on 06-20-2009 08:08 PM
KathyS
0 Kudos

Par, thank you...I like people who can think about things.  I like to be able to allow people to think.  So often I go on and on when I write, without question or pause, and possibly not allowing thoughts of others to come through.  I'm glad you were able to think about what I wrote, and my questions I threw out there, gave you pause.  You obviously passed your magical thoughts on to your daughter, and your students.

You are right about the magic verses realism, along the lines of thinking, whether kids or adults.  As a child, it is a place without worry, but only simplistically speaking...it is a place of wonder, mostly...where anything is possible.  My life has been a wonder, not always magical, though;  A lot of realism forces a kid to grow up too fast....and questions start floating into the air like bubbles from a bottle, waiting to be popped before they're ready to be enjoyed.

You can't explain it to kids that age, they just accept what you say as real.  When their little brains start to mature, it sinks into a place that mulls it over, and acceptance usually enters the picture when they're ready. 

I think I've always wanted to create magical places, places people and kids have never visited, and seen. Maybe places that most adults won't visit.  It's like novels, how do you want to see them?....is it a place that takes you to wherever your mind lets you go?  Or does it spell out every last detail, not letting you think on your own, and imagine the worlds unseen?

Bugs and nasties can become monsters to our plants.  Just as sometimes life can have real monster come at us.  I admit to having monsters, big old nasty trolls that come knocking at my little toad stool door.  This garden of Becke's, it's a safe and magical place to be.  She created it, and yes, these wonderful little creatures DO live here! :smileyhappy:

Thank you, again, for your "opinion".

Kathy

Par4course wrote:

What lovely musings you have, Kathy.  Not only do you paint lovely pictures with your words, but you make me think with your questions.

Years ago, when I was switching from teaching upper elementary to Kindergarten, I read a book called "The Magic Years".   It states that up till about 3rd or 4th grade (when kids start asking if there is really a Santa Claus), everything really is able to be full of magic in childrens' minds.  If you used 'white-out' to correct a mistake and tell a child it's magic paint, that's what they believe it to be -- magic.  And when you consider that I still don't know exactly the scientific formula that makes it work, I guess it is a type of magic.

I think we all want to keep that magic in our lives, even we must admit to growing up and "knowing better".  When my own daughter (who is now 30) asked many years ago if there was really a Santa, I replied "If there isn't, I guess we should not do things like put up stockings or leave cookies and milk for him."  ...... We still hang up stockings and leave out cookies.

The same with gardens and magic - just seeing things grow is a magical thing, and so magical creatures MUST live there.    Just my opinion.

Message Edited by Par4course on 06-20-2009 08:08 PM

becke_davis
0 Kudos

"We tend our gardens, and our gardens will tend us." -- I love this!

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

What a great quote, Becke!  It's true, by garden is the place I go to when I have to get away from the rest of my life.  It's the place I can work at and actually see immediate results - that doesn't happen in teaching...you never know if the "seeds" are really planted in children's minds until much later.  

Also, with my daughter and son-in-law and 3 dogs in the house, I sometimes feel like Kathy in Wordsmithsonia - I need to go hide in a quieter place.  

Yes, taking care of my garden lets my garden take care of me and my stresses.  Thanks.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

What a great quote, Becke!  It's true, by garden is the place I go to when I have to get away from the rest of my life.  It's the place I can work at and actually see immediate results - that doesn't happen in teaching...you never know if the "seeds" are really planted in children's minds until much later.  

Also, with my daughter and son-in-law and 3 dogs in the house, I sometimes feel like Kathy in Wordsmithsonia - I need to go hide in a quieter place.  

Yes, taking care of my garden lets my garden take care of me and my stresses.  Thanks.

Those words were from one of Kathy's posts (I'm pretty sure) -- brilliant, aren't they?

Correspondent
Par4course

It's late Sunday night, and I should be getting ready for work tomorrow.  I've spent the day cleaning house and yard for a "Father's Day" dinner for my daughter's in-laws, so forgive me if this is a bit weird or silly...

The mystical garden that I see

Is the place to which I flee 

whenever life proves just too much

with stress and woes and tears and such.

This is the place where I can find 

the magical creatures in my mind.

they politely let me share

all the peace and calmness there.

(There was more, but it just totally left my mind.... I'll try again tomorrow)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

We should put together an anthology of garden poetry, since you are all so talented!
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Re: Work to do...

Oh, don't put me in the group of talented folks...I never did finish that poem.  I haven't even been able to think of anything to post on here the last few days.  Other than picking tomatoes for a pot-luck at work, I've not been out in the garden.  I'm sure it's in sad shape from my neglect.  Will have to spend extra time with it this weekend, just to make it happy again. 

I have an area along the back fence to work on yet - it's the last section, but I'm afraid to get started because I know it's going to take a lot of work...it's where the neighbor dog has been doing the most digging.  I do have some chicken wire I'm going to try to fit in there.

Then I'm going to pull up all my sad little corn stalks.  None reached over a foot and a half tall.  The sunflowers took up all the nutrients and root space.  Maybe I can find a place to plant some more corn where they don't have to compete with anything else.  

Finally, I need to get some good soaker hoses laid out in the back yard.  I had some rubbery ones from a couple of years ago, but they all started leaking as I moved them around this year, and one actually broke in half!  So now I'm trying the cloth ones.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Soaker hoses -- whatever kind -- are great for conserving water and they are a much more efficient way of watering than a traditional hose. If you use a sprinkler on a hot, sunny day, the water can actually burn the leaves of some plants. That's not an issue with a soaker hose.
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Yes, I really like the soaker hoses.  I bought a "Drip watering for dummies" set, but just can't seem to set it up.  The hoses are easy to loop around and put anywhere I want.  And with the type of ground I have, the water soaks in better rather than running off like it does with the sprinkler.
KathyS

Mystical Gardens - Par4Course

Par4course wrote:

It's late Sunday night, and I should be getting ready for work tomorrow.  I've spent the day cleaning house and yard for a "Father's Day" dinner for my daughter's in-laws, so forgive me if this is a bit weird or silly...

No more to prove when life is stress

no more to give when life's a mess

Give what you can when you can

give from your heart...not really a plan

The peace from a garden gives all back when sore

the peace in your mind gives back, then some and more

don't be afraid when words end this way

dont be afraid, because there is always more to say

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Re: Mystical Gardens - Par4Course

Thanks, KathyS... you always know the right thing to say. 
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:
Yes, I really like the soaker hoses.  I bought a "Drip watering for dummies" set, but just can't seem to set it up.  The hoses are easy to loop around and put anywhere I want.  And with the type of ground I have, the water soaks in better rather than running off like it does with the sprinkler.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has trouble hooking those up!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Mystical Gardens - Par4Course

KathyS wrote:

Par4course wrote:

No more to prove when life is stress

no more to give when life's a mess

Give what you can when you can

give from your heart...not really a plan

The peace from a garden gives all back when sore

the peace in your mind gives back, then some and more

don't be afraid when words end this way

dont be afraid, because there is always more to say

Perfect!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Emotional Landscapes

Becke, the picture of the The Toronto Music Garden!  I've never seen anything like this!  Yo-Yo Ma's influence!  I decided to bring this topic here, because my mind rambles sometimes, and this is a subject that makes it wander in and out of a terrain I love to talk about.

The strangeness of what subjects make you think about.  Late, one night this week, I was flipping the channels around and I ran across a subject that brought me to a screeching halt!  It was all about how music affects our brains.  Literally changes it's thickness in place - And, in the process, altering our thinking.  Yo-Yo Ma was one of the people who talked about this wonderful discovery.   It's all very technical, and I can't explain most of it.

Not knowing the story behind this garden in Toronto, as to the selection of flowers, colors, design, etc., I can bet it was such an emotional project/experience for everyone who worked on it!  Of course, I've always known music affects us emotionally, but I never knew it could be traced back to childhood, altering the brain for a lifetime.  And, for a lifetime, I've always wondered why some of my thinking, emotional thinking, has always been a little different/off, having mood swings that are mind altering at times when listening to music, or reading, or viewing art, colors, design, etc..  I can't remember a time I was not exposed to music, or art forms, for that matter.  And playing it for a lifetime, as well.  It's all very technical, and can also be very cultural...

Color also reflects emotions, and meanings of this become real in every one of our senses.  Design is also an important segment to these interpretations of these feelings.  If I new the notes to this piece, The First Suite for Unacompanied Cello, by Johann Sebastian Bach, maybe I could connect the dots to the interpretation to this garden.  But I don't. There is one person on these boards who I know plays violin for the Boston Symphony....I wonder if she could connect it all together?

I saw Martha Stewart take the viewers to NY this week, showing the planting of the NY Botanical Herb Garden.  I found it interesting how she selected each plant, knowing the subtleties of each color green of each leaf; of each shape of the leaf, and size of plant; and the aroma they emit. 

It is amazing what each mind can interpret from its own backgrounds....Music, color, design...and even fragrances and taste...equals a unique garden for each of us!  I find this all fascinating! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Emotional Landscapes

Isn't that Toronto garden something else? I love Yo Yo Ma, and I think I've read the book you mentioned, or one like it. Fascinating! There are a couple of books on that topic:

This Is Your Brain on Music   Musicophilia   Music, Language and the Brain  

KathyS
0 Kudos

Of course, the one that comes the closest is - Music, Language and the Brain! Ha!  Fifty bucks!  Dr. Patel rings a bell...no, not an intentional rhyme.  I'm going to research this TV program I watched, if it's the last thing I do!  It was on a PBS station.  Maybe I can find a copy of it.

The next night I was going through the channels...about the same time at night, and ran across a program on conciousness.... thought/mind....I got about a half hour into it, and got the most horendous headache!  I couldn't think that deeply....usually I can if I scrape the outside world away, but this program was mind blowing!  Too many interpretations and conflicts of the same subject.  I couldn't hold on to them all. 

I'll let you know what I find out on the music program.

becke_davis wrote:

Isn't that Toronto garden something else? I love Yo Yo Ma, and I think I've read the book you mentioned, or one like it. Fascinating! There are a couple of books on that topic:

This Is Your Brain on Music  Musicophilia  Music, Language and the Brain  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please do that, Kathy -- I'd like to watch it, if it's on again.