Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008

Re: Noble Portraits


TiggerBear wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

To All Nobles of Wordsmithonia,

 

 

I do hope that you all were happy with the portraits that were used for your glossary listings.  I know most of you submitted more than one portrait for consideration, but me and the Editor had to choose what we thought were the best ones.  I hope we chose correctly and that everyone is happy.  I also hope that those of you who journeyed across the pond with us are now resting and have happy memories to cherish for all time.

 

By My Own Hand,

 

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia


Well my hair isn't that color....


It was until you started making those magic potions toturn invisible and got the ingredients wrong!

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Noble Portraits


debbook wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

To All Nobles of Wordsmithonia,

 

 

I do hope that you all were happy with the portraits that were used for your glossary listings.  I know most of you submitted more than one portrait for consideration, but me and the Editor had to choose what we thought were the best ones.  I hope we chose correctly and that everyone is happy.  I also hope that those of you who journeyed across the pond with us are now resting and have happy memories to cherish for all time.

 

By My Own Hand,

 

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia


Well my hair isn't that color....


It was until you started making those magic potions toturn invisible and got the ingredients wrong!


You're still wearing those glass half full glasses I gave you! I told you they're only for gloomy days. Take them off right now and go dance in the garden. 

 

Besides it wasn't an invisbility poition, it was an I'm not here potion. I got it right eventually.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
Posts: 411
Registered: ‎11-06-2008

Re: Noble Portraits


Ryan_G wrote:

To All Nobles of Wordsmithonia,

 

 

I do hope that you all were happy with the portraits that were used for your glossary listings.  I know most of you submitted more than one portrait for consideration, but me and the Editor had to choose what we thought were the best ones.  I hope we chose correctly and that everyone is happy.  I also hope that those of you who journeyed across the pond with us are now resting and have happy memories to cherish for all time.

 

By My Own Hand,

 

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia


 

 

Your Royal Highness, I am extremely happy with my portrait. I love the lion--I'm still working on his name--any suggestions are much appreciated! I don't think "Simba" really does him justice...

 

Your Humble Servant,

 

Lady Dreamer

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
Posts: 988
Registered: ‎01-12-2009

Re: Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia Volume 7

[ Edited ]

King Ryan,

 

I hope you don't mind but I would like to add a little to your Glossary if you do then scratch this: Oh and on some of the Pictures if you zoom in they look better:

 

 

Fairys: All the gorgeous fairys of are Realm Dark Fairy, Earth Fairy, Autum FairysHappy and Sad, Midnight and Lostris, Ice Fairy, Fire and Moon Fairy, Fairy Queen

 

Shadow Witch: Severeielle one of the evil witchs of are Realm!!

 

Sasha: Death need I say more!!

 

Wrath: Any one who difies our Kings laws gets sent to Wrath the Punisher so Beware!!!

 

Azalea: Demon Hunter 

 

Jasmine: Dragon Fighter

 

Grendel:  Black Widow servent for Severeielle!!

 

Ivy: Ravens new Fire Sword the coolest weapon out there!!

 

Luna: Vampire Hunter

 

Aurora: Light Princess keeps the dark from overthrowing the Day Light vs Dark!!

 

Azalea: Water Angel Watchs over all rivers, lakes, ponds and seas!!

 

Aspen: My new pet Dragon and Me!!

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-04-2009 12:49 AM
_______________________
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008

Glossary for the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia Volume 7

Barking  ---  Small village in the Wildnerness area.  Picture of Barking Village 

 

Bolzii  ---  Small village in the Wildnerness area.  Picture of Bolzii Village

 

Catatonia  ---  Faraway Kingdom rumored to be a 7 month journey to the South East of Wordsmithonia.  There is no picture to publish since nobody from the Kingdom has ever been there.

 

Chips Haven Ahoy!  ---  Favorite fast food restaurant of Dowager Queen Kathy.  Picture of Chips Haven Ahoy!

  

 

Cooky C. Schlegmire  ---  Head chef to the royal family.  Picture of Cooky C. Schlegmire

 

Fresh Water River Salmon  ---  Main staple in the diet of the Rolly Pollys.  Picture of a Fresh Water River Salmon 

 

Futsunushi  ---  Minor diety of Lightning.  Picture of Futsunushi 

 

Healer of Bolzii  ---  A Herbswoman of little ability residing in the village of Bolzii.  Picture of the Healer of Bolzii 

 

Herbswoman  ---  A healer of minor ability who uses the natural healing properties of herbs to cure minor injuires and illnesses.   Picture of a Herbswoman

 

Pass of Futsunushi  ---  Pass through the Mountain of Planina created when the God Futsunushi practiced with a new lightning bold design.  Picture of Pass of Futsunushi 

 

Quest Knights  ---  Order of knights who sole purpose is to assist others on their quests.  Picture of Quest Knights Stronghold   Heraldry of Quest Knights

 

Riverworld  ---  Duchy helf by Lady Wandering.  Picture of Riverworld Castle 

 

Royal Palace of Wordsmithonia  ---  This is not only the chief residence of the Royal Family (King Ryan, Dowager Queen Kathy, and Princess Deb).  All other Nobles have a suite of rooms at their disposal.   The Royal Palace is also the seat of governance within the Kingdom.  Picture of the Royal Palace of Wordsmithonia

 

Thra  ---  Barony held by Lady Twilight.  Picture of the Castle of Thra 

 

Tower of the Dark Crystal  ---  Ancient tower that has been standing since before the founding of Wordsmithonia. The tower is named for the substance is made out of.  No one know who built the tower or for what purpose.  The tower is now used to house mystical tomes and is guarded by the current Keeper, Lady Twilight.  Picture of the Tower of The Dark Crystal

 

Twilight, Lady  ---  Baroness of Thra.  Keeper of the Tower of the Dark Crystal.  Liason betwen the Royal Court and Vampires.  Picture of Lady Twilight 

 

Vampires  ---  Undead sentient creatures living within the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  All kingdom vampires are under strict regulations and are not allowed to feed off humans unless that human gives permission under no duress.  All other food needs are supplied by various butchers in the kingdom who are under the direction of Sam Franklin, Royal Butcher.  There are few Vampires living within the kingdom since few are willing to live under such rules.  Picture of a Male Vampire   Picture of a Female Vampire

 

Wandering, Lady  ---  Duchess of Riverworld.   Wandering Chronicler of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  Picture of Lady Wandering

 

Wilderness  ---  Wild and untamed area within the far North Western territory of Wordsmithonia laying just on the other side of the Mountains of Planina.  The only reliable way through the Mountains to the Wildnerness is through the Pass of Futsunushi.  Picture of One Small Piece of the Wildnerness 

 

Zoterim Priestesses  ---  A religous order of priestesses of Isis who devot their lives to the treatment of Possesion related disorders.  Picture of a Zoterim Priestess

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia Volume 7

[ Edited ]

Lady Carmen,

 

No I don't mind you adding to the glossary at all.  I do want to say that I am a little troubled by Wrath, Jasmine, and Luna.  Wrath is too much like the royal headsman we discussed earlier and whom my mother got most upset over.  I will allow Jasmine and Luna to say within the realm but they need to realize that both dragons and vampires are citizens of this kingdom and need not be hunted.

 

By My Own Hand,

 

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia

Message Edited by Ryan_G on 04-03-2009 11:51 PM
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
Posts: 988
Registered: ‎01-12-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia Volume 7

[ Edited ]

King Ryan,

 

 All is well Wrath will not be beheading any one she is just there to inforce your laws!! As for Jasmine and Luna they are only for the evil vampires and Dragons that may not be in your realm they are here for protection only. I hope this helps you and your mother sleep better!!!

 

P.s . My all Time Favorite Picture is The Black Widow isn't it just the coolest!!!

 

Lady Carmen

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-04-2009 01:10 AM
_______________________
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
Posts: 988
Registered: ‎01-12-2009

Re: Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia Volume 7

[ Edited ]

To every one in the realm,

 

 

   The above pictures I posted:

 

   I just wanted to say if the pictures were to much or offended anyone I'm sorry but I couldn't help myself Villians always seem to make books possible for me. Just a bit of Harmless fun I hope.

 

My thanks,

 

Lady Carmen

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-04-2009 04:15 AM
_______________________
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008

Re: Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia Volume 7

I thought the pictures were excellent, not at all offensive. Thanks for posting them!

carmen22 wrote:

To every one in the realm,

 

 

   The above pictures I posted:

 

   I just wanted to say if the pictures were to much or offended anyone I'm sorry but I couldn't help myself Villians always seem to make books possible for me. Just a bit of Harmless fun I hope.

 

My thanks,

 

Lady Carmen

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-04-2009 04:15 AM

 

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
Posts: 988
Registered: ‎01-12-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia Volume 7

[ Edited ]

Thank you Deb I appreciate that it was my pleasure!!!


debbook wrote:
I thought the pictures were excellent, not at all offensive. Thanks for posting them!

carmen22 wrote:

To every one in the realm,

 

 

   The above pictures I posted:

 

   I just wanted to say if the pictures were to much or offended anyone I'm sorry but I couldn't help myself Villians always seem to make books possible for me. Just a bit of Harmless fun I hope.

 

My thanks,

 

Lady Carmen


 


 

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-04-2009 11:18 AM
_______________________
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
Posts: 411
Registered: ‎11-06-2008

Re: Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia Volume 7

[ Edited ]

carmen22 wrote:

To every one in the realm,

 

 

   The above pictures I posted:

 

   I just wanted to say if the pictures were to much or offended anyone I'm sorry but I couldn't help myself Villians always seem to make books possible for me. Just a bit of Harmless fun I hope.

 

My thanks,

 

Lady Carmen

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-04-2009 04:15 AM

 

 

 

Lady Carmen,

 

    You have found the very image of evil. I like the pictures because the villains have a deceptive beauty, but you can also see venom in their eyes. True to life.

 

 

Lady Dreamer

Message Edited by Dreamer4ever on 04-04-2009 01:32 PM
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia Volume 7


carmen22 wrote:

King Ryan,

 

 All is well Wrath will not be beheading any one she is just there to inforce your laws!! As for Jasmine and Luna they are only for the evil vampires and Dragons that may not be in your realm they are here for protection only. I hope this helps you and your mother sleep better!!!

 

P.s . My all Time Favorite Picture is The Black Widow isn't it just the coolest!!!

 

Lady Carmen


 My dear Lady Carmen,

 

NO!NO!NO!NO!  I HAVE A PHOBIA OF SPIDERS!  I will have NO spiders in this realm!  I will have no creepy-crawlys sneaking around, spying on my castle at night!  I will not sleep!

 

There is no more evil in our Kingdom, I might add.  King Ryan has taken control of this operation.  And, furthermore, I have never seen evil vampires here, as long as I've been Queen of Wordsmithonia.  This castle is 'green',  vampire free!  We have garlic planted around the perimeter of this land, to ward off these blood sucking creatures.  It serves the purpose well.

 

At this time, we have only wayward fairies, nutty gnomes, neurotic twin sisters, Princess Deb's hounds, knights and others under spells, and sneaky parasites that attach themselves to the bottom of feet, when venturing outside of this Kingdom, which is always under surveillance by appointed authorites amongst the townships.  And the edges to our properties are patrolled hourly by our dragoon brigade.  They are in place.  There is no evil, simply nuisances that like to play pranks.

 

If you need your protectorates, to help enforce your castle laws, then you may keep them there!  Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

 

Yours, respectfully,

 

Kathy, Queen Mother of Wordsmithonia, Duchy of Highland Palms

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
Posts: 988
Registered: ‎01-12-2009

Re: Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia Volume 7

[ Edited ]

Queen Kathy,

 

  I am truly sorry I have made you upset, you can kick them right out of your realm no worries on my part. Light will always overthrough the Dark in your realm pelase forgive me your Highness.

 

My Humble Apologies,

 

Lady Carmen

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-04-2009 02:42 PM
_______________________
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia Volume 3

My Beloved King

 

I know I should be honoured by your appointment of me to the Generalship of the anti-Republican Army but I nevertheless must remind you that I am a pacifist and cannot have anything to do with warfare of any kind.   I would be happy to be in charge of medical supplies to the Anti-Republican Army or for any other humanitarian requirements they might have such as a Unisex Dating Agency.  Even if they only had the weapons I had previously suggested to the Lady Raven, such as stink bombs, water pistols filled with holey water from the Wellwoman Fountain and Teaser guns which fire jokes,  I would still be unhappy to partake in anything of violent intent.   

 

Hoping that you will understand my predicament.

 

Ever your Peaceful Savant

The Unladylike Choisya etc etc etc 

 


Ryan_G wrote:

Anti-Republican Army  ---  Army maintained by Lady Choisya in defense of the Republican hoardes massing on the right of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  Picture of a Army Unit 

 

Bookendian  ---  Duchy held by King Ryan.  Picture of Bookendian Castle 

 

Choisya, Lady  ---  Duchess of Contributu, Baroness of Watership Down.  Sits on Royal Council of Advisors.  Ambassador to the Court of the Queen of England.  General of the Anti-Republicain Army.  Regulates all concerns involving hares or rabbits.  Picture of Lady Choisya 

 

Codexia  ---  Barony held by Lady Dreamer.  Picture of Codexian Castle 

 

Contributu  ---  Duchy held by Lady Choisya.  Picture of Contribututian Castle 

 

Crankyville  ---  Holding of Lord Everyman.  Picture of Castle of Crankyville 

 

Deb, Princess  ---  Princess of Wordsmithonia, Duchess of Wordsville, Marquessa of Gotham.  Sits on Royal Council of Advisors.  Head Librarian of all Kingdom Libraries.  Regulates all activities of kingdom Super Heroes.  Master of the Beasts.

Picture of Princess Deb 

 

Dreamer, Lady  ---  Baroness of Codexia.  Curator of all religous prophecies, portents, and myths.  Picture of Lady Dreamer 

 

Dulcinea, Dame  ---  Grand Dame of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia.  Sits on Royal Council of Advisors.  Regulates all wicked witches, warlocks, and wizards.  Mistress of the Dragons.  Poets Laureate of Wordsmithonia.  Picture of Dame Dulcinea 

 

Eternia  ---  Duchy helf by Lady Silverwings.  Picture of Eternian Palace 

 

Everyman, Lord  ---  Earl of Crankyville, Sultan of Insultian.  A.K.A as The Frog, Sir Frog, Frog,  Panda, Sir Panda, Panda with Warts.  Currently exiled to Island of Flying Monkeyes.  Portrait of Lord Everyman 

 

Fantasia  ---  Duchy held by Dame Dulcinea.  Picture of Fantasian Castle 

 

Gotham  ---  Holding held by Princess Deb.  Picture of Gotham Castle 

 

Highland Palms  --- Duchy helf by Dowager Queen Kathy.  Picture of Highland Palms Castle 

 

Insultian  ---  Holding of Lord Everyman.  Picture of Insultian Castle 

 

Kathy, Dowager Queen  ---  Former ruler of Wordsmithonia, Duchess of Highland Palms, Mother of King Ryan and Princess Deb, Great-Great Grandauther of King Kylryan, Great-Great Neice of Prince Billfor.  Sits on Royal Council of Advisors.  Regulates activites of Emmett Kelly and his Ilk.  Advises on all culinary matters.  Picture of Dowager Queen Kathy

 

Land of Oz  ---  Holding held by Dame Dulcinea.  Picture of the Castle of Oz 

 

Letteria  ---  Holding of King Ryan.  Picture of Letterian Castle 

 

Republican Hoardes  ---  Great army amassing to the right of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  They do a lot of blustering but don't pose a real threat due to excellent Anti-Republican Army.  Picture of Republican Hoardes 

 

Ryan, King  ---  King of Wordsmithonia, Earl of Letteria, Duke of Bookendian,  Son of Dowager Queen Kathy, Brother of Princess Deb, Great-Great-Great Grandson of King Kylryan, Great-Great-Great Nephew of Prince Billfor Picture of King Ryan

 

Silverwings, Lady  ---  Duchess of Eternia.  Kingdom liason to other planets.  Mistress of Music.  Picture of Lady Silverwings 

 

Tiggerbear, Lady  ---  Baroness of Valdemar.  Liason to all kingdom Psychics.  Horse Mistress.  Picture of Lady Tiggerbear 

 

Valdemar  ---  Barony held by Lady Tiggerbear.  Picture of Valdemarian Castle 

 

Watership Down  ---  Barony held by Lady Choisya.  Picture of Watership Down Castle 

 

Wordsville  ---  Duchy helf by Princess Deb.  Picture of Wordsville Castle

Message Edited by Ryan_G on 03-31-2009 11:28 PM
Message Edited by Ryan_G on 03-31-2009 11:32 PM

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Thoughts about Wordsmithonia

Krista,

 

I'm going out of character for the moment.  You don't need to apologize to me.  I went into character, with you, to voice my opinion of these new additions you offered, to the Wordsmithonia realm.

 

I'm really not in control over this, or any other section of these boards,  so you and others can use it any way that you wish, of course, as long as it stays safe and clean, and respectful, as I know you and everyone have kept it so far. 

 

I only introduced this so called Kingdom to the community room, just for a lark.  Something fun to play with, but  I never expected it to grow in the way that it has, and trying to keep every character, and person or thing straight in our minds, has given way to Ryan having to create a lengthy glossary for everyone.  Introducing more and more, of course is really up to the majority of players in this scenario.  I don't know how everyone feels about this, and it may not be the problem that I see.   But, this is not a board we have, it's just a thread, and it can become so convoluted and congested with scenarios and players, that it will become  lengthy and out of control.

 

I'm honestly not into fantasy, as it becomes paranormal, or demonistic, or other related darksides.  It's not my interest in literature, but I know it now incorporates a large part of the readers, here on these clubs.  I grew up on the old vampire and zombie movies.  They scared me, but I loved them.  But I'm now probably one of the oldest members, both in age and longevity on B&N, and I honestly have an aversion to the horror, and blood thirsty evil driven violence involved in a lot of these fantasies of today.   Even the dark pictures give me the creeps.  I'm just saying this to tell you who I am, and to voice my opinions, with no disrespect towards you.   I respect everyone who has contributed to this strange board thread, so far. 

 

Anyway, just my thoughts about these subjects. If anyone would like to say something to this subject, you are all welcome.

 

Have fun with whatever you do!

 

Kathy

 

 

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
Posts: 988
Registered: ‎01-12-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Thoughts about Wordsmithonia

[ Edited ]

Kathy,

 

 

 Fantasy , paranormal and urban Fantasy are my favorites thats why I added a little of what I like. I like vampires, wares, mages etc. and then I also like Young Adult  and romance  books as well I'm not really set on one genre. But I understand if you don't like creepy crawly things I only like them in pictures you know for like the evil character thats always in Fantasy books (words instead of pictures).I'm a girly girl when it comes to real life spiders I jump and scream lol. I just thought they were cool. Thank you for your opinions I will keep them in mind and I meant no disrespect towards you or anyone else either.

 

Krista

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-04-2009 06:03 PM
Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-04-2009 06:53 PM
_______________________
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
Posts: 411
Registered: ‎11-06-2008

Re: Thoughts about Wordsmithonia

Kathy,

 

I think that this was a great idea, in the first place, and I appreciate the creativity it took in order to start this. I think that in a way you've started a new story--could be a book--that many people here are contributing to. It's constructive and imaginative and I think that everyone else will agree with me when I say that it's one of those things that we look forward to when we come here to B&N. 

 

I see what you're saying about this becoming out of control, because I'm already struggling to remember who everyone is and all these scenarios and such. It's funny though, to read everything and see what our minds have created in relation to "Wordsmithonia." It's an ongoing story and is much like the real world--just add in some dragons and elves and Goofy.

 

The creepy stuff is kind of cool, in my opinion. But I really think that's because that's not the way real evil in the real world looks like. It's...different.....like maybe scarier, but less brutal. I don't know how I'm getting that from the pictures, but that's what keeps going through my head. I respect what you feel on the subject, though. Thank you for telling us.

 

And I am glad that you created Wordsmithonia! Such fun everyone's had with it!

 

Dara

 


KathyS wrote:

Krista,

 

I'm going out of character for the moment.  You don't need to apologize to me.  I went into character, with you, to voice my opinion of these new additions you offered, to the Wordsmithonia realm.

 

I'm really not in control over this, or any other section of these boards,  so you and others can use it any way that you wish, of course, as long as it stays safe and clean, and respectful, as I know you and everyone have kept it so far. 

 

I only introduced this so called Kingdom to the community room, just for a lark.  Something fun to play with, but  I never expected it to grow in the way that it has, and trying to keep every character, and person or thing straight in our minds, has given way to Ryan having to create a lengthy glossary for everyone.  Introducing more and more, of course is really up to the majority of players in this scenario.  I don't know how everyone feels about this, and it may not be the problem that I see.   But, this is not a board we have, it's just a thread, and it can become so convoluted and congested with scenarios and players, that it will become  lengthy and out of control.

 

I'm honestly not into fantasy, as it becomes paranormal, or demonistic, or other related darksides.  It's not my interest in literature, but I know it now incorporates a large part of the readers, here on these clubs.  I grew up on the old vampire and zombie movies.  They scared me, but I loved them.  But I'm now probably one of the oldest members, both in age and longevity on B&N, and I honestly have an aversion to the horror, and blood thirsty evil driven violence involved in a lot of these fantasies of today.   Even the dark pictures give me the creeps.  I'm just saying this to tell you who I am, and to voice my opinions, with no disrespect towards you.   I respect everyone who has contributed to this strange board thread, so far. 

 

Anyway, just my thoughts about these subjects. If anyone would like to say something to this subject, you are all welcome.

 

Have fun with whatever you do!

 

Kathy

 

 


 

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Thoughts about Wordsmithonia

Dara,

 

I was thinking about what you've just said.  I too, look forward to reading these little vignettes.  Here's a few of those thoughts of mine:

 

It's fun to make them twist and turn, with everyone's voices added.  But the key to not making this story too complicated, or complex, is by not adding too much, too soon, into the story.. 

 

You have to feel each of these existing subjects, characters, and players, get to know what they're saying to you.... but I know everyone wants to add their own voice/twists in as fast as they can, as soon as they come onto the board.  But you can't, or it will get disorganized, as it is now showing stress. 

 

You have to restrain fast changes, and keep playing off of each other's piece/storyline, longer. Only add one character or storyline at a time, and then try to expand it.  Whether it be a dragon, or a fairy, or whatever the creature, or subject, or disaster at hand...stay with it until you understand it's purpose in the story, and when the story starts to see an end, someone pick it up and give a new dimension to to it, to bounce off of. 

 

I'm not saying it always works, having so many people involved, but it should make it interesting and fun, to try and stretch someone else's imagination.  It's like playing ball:  If someone throws it to you, you run with it, then toss it to someone else when you think you're going to go down.

 

If you were to read this as a book, you want the reader to understand each and every situation, before taking them forward, too fast.  These little scenarios are conversational, which would take a lot of editing to put them together well enough, to create an actual story from them.  As I said, they're vignettes, or products that create simply a soap opera kind of effect.  As it stands now, it's full of holes that need to be filled before making it into a readable story.  It reminds me of a pot full of stew.  Can you taste each ingredient and spice?  If you can, it's good. You want each one to stand out, but when mixed together, you want it to become one flavor; the whole of the novel.  If you're the reader, you don't want to struggle, working too hard to put it together, and then trying to keep it together is painful. 

 

My original feel for it, for this story, was to keep it funny.  Keep it Goofy, as it were.  Keep it obsurd, unreal.   If your character/subject is too real,  or dark,  or creepy, the story will no long stay lighthearted.  This is what I was ultimately trying to get at.  If you start introducing dark characters, you're going to have to figure out a way to give them a light spirit.  Make them fun to hate, and get rid of, without killing them off, or being brutal in how they're treated.  They can't be too mean and scary.  It's okay to have an antagonist in a story, it's actually great, but you definitely have to make it work.


Dreamer4ever wrote:

Kathy,

 

I think that this was a great idea, in the first place, and I appreciate the creativity it took in order to start this. I think that in a way you've started a new story--could be a book--that many people here are contributing to. It's constructive and imaginative and I think that everyone else will agree with me when I say that it's one of those things that we look forward to when we come here to B&N. 

 

I see what you're saying about this becoming out of control, because I'm already struggling to remember who everyone is and all these scenarios and such. It's funny though, to read everything and see what our minds have created in relation to "Wordsmithonia." It's an ongoing story and is much like the real world--just add in some dragons and elves and Goofy.

 

The creepy stuff is kind of cool, in my opinion. But I really think that's because that's not the way real evil in the real world looks like. It's...different.....like maybe scarier, but less brutal. I don't know how I'm getting that from the pictures, but that's what keeps going through my head. I respect what you feel on the subject, though. Thank you for telling us.

 

And I am glad that you created Wordsmithonia! Such fun everyone's had with it!

 

Dara

 


KathyS wrote:

Krista,

 

I'm going out of character for the moment.  You don't need to apologize to me.  I went into character, with you, to voice my opinion of these new additions you offered, to the Wordsmithonia realm.

 

I'm really not in control over this, or any other section of these boards,  so you and others can use it any way that you wish, of course, as long as it stays safe and clean, and respectful, as I know you and everyone have kept it so far. 

 

I only introduced this so called Kingdom to the community room, just for a lark.  Something fun to play with, but  I never expected it to grow in the way that it has, and trying to keep every character, and person or thing straight in our minds, has given way to Ryan having to create a lengthy glossary for everyone.  Introducing more and more, of course is really up to the majority of players in this scenario.  I don't know how everyone feels about this, and it may not be the problem that I see.   But, this is not a board we have, it's just a thread, and it can become so convoluted and congested with scenarios and players, that it will become  lengthy and out of control.

 

I'm honestly not into fantasy, as it becomes paranormal, or demonistic, or other related darksides.  It's not my interest in literature, but I know it now incorporates a large part of the readers, here on these clubs.  I grew up on the old vampire and zombie movies.  They scared me, but I loved them.  But I'm now probably one of the oldest members, both in age and longevity on B&N, and I honestly have an aversion to the horror, and blood thirsty evil driven violence involved in a lot of these fantasies of today.   Even the dark pictures give me the creeps.  I'm just saying this to tell you who I am, and to voice my opinions, with no disrespect towards you.   I respect everyone who has contributed to this strange board thread, so far. 

 

Anyway, just my thoughts about these subjects. If anyone would like to say something to this subject, you are all welcome.

 

Have fun with whatever you do!

 

Kathy

 

 


 


 

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
Posts: 988
Registered: ‎01-12-2009

Re: Thoughts about Wordsmithonia

Kathy,

 

  I am sorry I have put villians in your story I don't want to cause any controversy or upset anyone. It was just Harmless fun like I stated earlier so I hope that I haven't ruined yours or anyone elses fun. I don't know how or even if I can delete it so sorry but if I could I would take the Dark Characters out for you.  So for any one who does not like Dark Characters please skip over my photos you don't have to click on them. I meant no Harm honestly.

 

Krista


KathyS wrote:

Dara,

 

I was thinking about what you've just said.  I too, look forward to reading these little vignettes.  Here's a few of those thoughts of mine:

 

It's fun to make them twist and turn, with everyone's voices added.  But the key to not making this story too complicated, or complex, is by not adding too much, too soon, into the story.. 

 

You have to feel each of these existing subjects, characters, and players, get to know what they're saying to you.... but I know everyone wants to add their own voice/twists in as fast as they can, as soon as they come onto the board.  But you can't, or it will get disorganized, as it is now showing stress. 

 

You have to restrain fast changes, and keep playing off of each other's piece/storyline, longer. Only add one character or storyline at a time, and then try to expand it.  Whether it be a dragon, or a fairy, or whatever the creature, or subject, or disaster at hand...stay with it until you understand it's purpose in the story, and when the story starts to see an end, someone pick it up and give a new dimension to to it, to bounce off of. 

 

I'm not saying it always works, having so many people involved, but it should make it interesting and fun, to try and stretch someone else's imagination.  It's like playing ball:  If someone throws it to you, you run with it, then toss it to someone else when you think you're going to go down.

 

If you were to read this as a book, you want the reader to understand each and every situation, before taking them forward, too fast.  These little scenarios are conversational, which would take a lot of editing to put them together well enough, to create an actual story from them.  As I said, they're vignettes, or products that create simply a soap opera kind of effect.  As it stands now, it's full of holes that need to be filled before making it into a readable story.  It reminds me of a pot full of stew.  Can you taste each ingredient and spice?  If you can, it's good. You want each one to stand out, but when mixed together, you want it to become one flavor; the whole of the novel.  If you're the reader, you don't want to struggle, working too hard to put it together, and then trying to keep it together is painful. 

 

My original feel for it, for this story, was to keep it funny.  Keep it Goofy, as it were.  Keep it obsurd, unreal.   If your character/subject is too real,  or dark,  or creepy, the story will no long stay lighthearted.  This is what I was ultimately trying to get at.  If you start introducing dark characters, you're going to have to figure out a way to give them a light spirit.  Make them fun to hate, and get rid of, without killing them off, or being brutal in how they're treated.  They can't be too mean and scary.  It's okay to have an antagonist in a story, it's actually great, but you definitely have to make it work.


Dreamer4ever wrote:

Kathy,

 

I think that this was a great idea, in the first place, and I appreciate the creativity it took in order to start this. I think that in a way you've started a new story--could be a book--that many people here are contributing to. It's constructive and imaginative and I think that everyone else will agree with me when I say that it's one of those things that we look forward to when we come here to B&N. 

 

I see what you're saying about this becoming out of control, because I'm already struggling to remember who everyone is and all these scenarios and such. It's funny though, to read everything and see what our minds have created in relation to "Wordsmithonia." It's an ongoing story and is much like the real world--just add in some dragons and elves and Goofy.

 

The creepy stuff is kind of cool, in my opinion. But I really think that's because that's not the way real evil in the real world looks like. It's...different.....like maybe scarier, but less brutal. I don't know how I'm getting that from the pictures, but that's what keeps going through my head. I respect what you feel on the subject, though. Thank you for telling us.

 

And I am glad that you created Wordsmithonia! Such fun everyone's had with it!

 

Dara

 


KathyS wrote:

Krista,

 

I'm going out of character for the moment.  You don't need to apologize to me.  I went into character, with you, to voice my opinion of these new additions you offered, to the Wordsmithonia realm.

 

I'm really not in control over this, or any other section of these boards,  so you and others can use it any way that you wish, of course, as long as it stays safe and clean, and respectful, as I know you and everyone have kept it so far. 

 

I only introduced this so called Kingdom to the community room, just for a lark.  Something fun to play with, but  I never expected it to grow in the way that it has, and trying to keep every character, and person or thing straight in our minds, has given way to Ryan having to create a lengthy glossary for everyone.  Introducing more and more, of course is really up to the majority of players in this scenario.  I don't know how everyone feels about this, and it may not be the problem that I see.   But, this is not a board we have, it's just a thread, and it can become so convoluted and congested with scenarios and players, that it will become  lengthy and out of control.

 

I'm honestly not into fantasy, as it becomes paranormal, or demonistic, or other related darksides.  It's not my interest in literature, but I know it now incorporates a large part of the readers, here on these clubs.  I grew up on the old vampire and zombie movies.  They scared me, but I loved them.  But I'm now probably one of the oldest members, both in age and longevity on B&N, and I honestly have an aversion to the horror, and blood thirsty evil driven violence involved in a lot of these fantasies of today.   Even the dark pictures give me the creeps.  I'm just saying this to tell you who I am, and to voice my opinions, with no disrespect towards you.   I respect everyone who has contributed to this strange board thread, so far. 

 

Anyway, just my thoughts about these subjects. If anyone would like to say something to this subject, you are all welcome.

 

Have fun with whatever you do!

 

Kathy

 

 


 


 


 

_______________________
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008

Re: Thoughts about Wordsmithonia

Carmen and Everyone,

 

 

Kathy was not upset with you at all.  I do want to reiterate a point she made though.  I started the glossary for two reasons.  One because participants were starting to include alot of new characters and situations and I wanted a place to keep them straight for all involved. The second reason was to give some sort of back story to the whole thing for others to play off of. 

 

I thank Kathy every day for starting this thread.  It's fun and reading what you guys come up with cracks me up everyday.  We need to have fun with it but keep it from getting to big too soon. 

 

Well that's my thoughts on the whole thing.  So have fun and lets not take this too seriously

 

Ryan

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com