Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G

Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia

To All:

With our ever growing Kingdom, I have decided that there needs to be a Glossary of People, Places, and Things that we can refer to.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Ryan_G

Re: Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia

[ Edited ]

Al Gore ---  Royal advisor on Global Warming.  Picture of Al Gore 

Arakkis  ---  Holding of Grand Dame Nadine

Bridget ---  Handmaiden to Lady Katrina, A.K.A Madame Veronica/Victoria 

Brothers of St. Barnesian  ---  Religous order of monks

Caje, Madame --- Tea servant in royal palace

Chanterelle, Madame  --- Royal Horticulturist 

Cleo of the Thrice Leapt Salmon  ---  Lady Choisya's Cat

Coulrophobia  ---  Fear of clowns, currently an epidemic sweeping through the kingdom 

Coyote  ---  Trickster diety of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  Forms one third of a triumverate with Zeus and Isis.  Picture of Coyote

Dorky  ---  Dog belonging to Princess Deb 

Dr. Arrowsmith --- Royal Physician.  Picture of Dr. Arrowsmith

Emmett Kelly ---  Leader of the Clowns that have been exiled to the Island of Arlecchino.

Picture of Emmett Kelly 

Farmer Smurf --- Royal Gardener.  Picture of Farmer Smurf

Fires of Cancellato Dalla Mente  ---  Cleansing fire where bad ideas are sent to be burned from all memory.

Flying Monkeyes --- Sentient race of primates dwelling on the Island of Flying Monkeyes of the coast of the Land of Oz.   Picture of Flying Monkey.

Glinda --- Good Witch of the North.  Citizen of the Land of Oz.  Picture of Glinda.

Grandpa Smurf --- Royal Gardener. Pictre of Grandpa Smurf

Haiku  ---  Ancient art of poetry currently having a revival in the Kingdom

Harmony Smurf --- Royal Gardener.  Picture of Harmony Smurf

Hefty Smurf ---  Royal Gardener.  Picture of Hefty Smurf

Hygeia  ---  Minor diety of health.  Picture of Hygeia.

"In My Garden"  ---  The winning haiku entry that named Dame Dulcinea Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia

Iris  ---  A uintatherium protected by Lady Carmen.  Picture of Iris

Isis  ---  Mother diety of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  Forms one third of a triumverate with Zeus and Coyote.  Picture of Isis.

Island of Flying Monkeyes  ---  Island of the coast of the Land of Oz, home of the flying monkeyes.

Katrina, Lady ---  Evil twin clone of Dowager Queen Kathy, aunt of King Ryan and Princess Deb.  Tried to gain entry to the kingdom under the names of Madame Veronica/Victoria.

Laszlo ---  Irishwolf Hound belonging to King Ryan

Magnetic Haiku  --- Modern version of the ancinet art of haiku.  Invented by Dame Dulcinea.

Man In The Yellow Hat  ---  Royal Zoologist.  Man In The Yellow Hat.

Mazrim  ---  Irishwolf Hound belonging to King Ryan

Medalon  ---  Duchy held by Duchess Nadine. 

Melissa, Lady  ---  Marquessa of Tar Valon.  Overseer of the Dollhouse espionage agents, regulates all ogre/kobold/unicorn activities, has dominion over all uses of the elementals

Mountains of Planina ---  Mountain Range in the North East of the realm 

Nadine, Dame  ---  Grand Dame of Arakkis, Duchess of Medalon.  Dean of all kingdom institutes of learning, Admiral of Royal Fleet, regulates all  Roc/Gryphon/Pegasus activities

Neutralia ---  Independent Kingdom of the southern boundry of Wordsmithonia.  Ruled by Queen Semleges.

Pandas  ---  Non sentient species living within bamboo forests.  Guise taken by Sir Everyman to tray and trick innocent citizens.  Picture of a Panda

Papa Smurf --- Royal Gardener. Picture of Papa Smurf

Pearl ---  Flying Carpet, belonging to King Ryan.  Picture of Pearl

Rolly Pollys  ---  Sentient race dwelling within Wordsmithonia.  Generally 4ft tall, with long droopy ears, brown skin, green hair, and oversised feet.  They have a odd love of Freshwater River Salmon.  They are led by Chief Unc Nunkie.

Rosie the Riveter  ---  Patriotic citizen of Wordsmithonia.  Donated a stash of World War II era nylone to be a gift for Queen Elizabeth of England.  Picture of Rosie the Riveter 

Sam ---  Wooly Mammoth protected by Lady Carmen.  Picture of Sam

Semleges, Queen ---  Ruler of Neutralia

Singing Nun ---  Code name of one of the most dangerous spies in the know world.  Part of the Cabal of Evil Nuns.  Real name is unknown.  Only known Picture

Sister Betrille  ---  Cohort and of the Singing Nun and member of the Cabal of Evil Nuns. Only Known Picture

Smurfs  ---  Sentient race living within the ground of the Royal Palace.  They are small of stature with blue skin.  The live in mushroom houses and have a diest consisting mainly of smurfberries.  Picture of a Smurf

Snorky  --- Dog belonging to Princess Deb

Swamps of Sadness ---  Dismal swamp in the Duchy of Fantasia.  Picture of the Swamps of Sadness

The Penguin  ---  Code name of a cohort of the Singing Nun and member of the Cabal of Evil Nuns.  No known picture on file.

Tar Valon  ---  Holding of Lady Melissa.  Map of Tar Valon

Tatsu, Master ---  Keeper of the Royal Dragons

Thy Youngeth and Thy Restlesseth ---  Favorite TV Show of Princess Deb

Unc Nunkie  ---  Leader of the Rolly Pollys. 

Vermontonia  ---  Harsh winter kingdom to the north of Worsmithonia.  Home of Lady Katrina, A.K.A Madame Veronica/Victoria

Veronica/Victoria, Madame  ---  Names used by Lady Katrina to try and gain entry into the kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  Claimed to be a seamstress.

Zeus  ---  Father diety of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia. Forms one third of a triumverate with Isis and Coyote. Picture of Zeus.

Message Edited by Ryan_G on 03-29-2009 07:20 PM
Message Edited by Ryan_G on 03-29-2009 07:37 PM

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

King Ryan, you are brilliant. I think you should be writing a book, in between your royal duties.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Scribe
carmen22

Too funny Ryan just to funny:smileyvery-happy:!!! After a long days work you guys really make my day just to fun lol!!!:smileyvery-happy:
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:
King Ryan, you are brilliant. I think you should be writing a book, in between your royal duties.

...and I agree wholeheartedly!  What would King Ryan call said book?  Do tell!

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
KathyS

Name That Book!

[ Edited ]

blkeyesuzi wrote:

debbook wrote:

...and I agree wholeheartedly!  What would King Ryan call said book?  Do tell!

Wordsmithonians - Name That Book! Put name to pen

Just a few---- 

Days In The Lives of Wordsmithonia

Or...As The Stomach of The Wordsmithonians Turn

Or...What Happens in Wordsmithonia, Doesn't Necessarily Stay in Wordsmithonia

Or...Wordsmithionia Lives to Tell About It

Or...The World Outside Comes to The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia

Or...It Takes All Kinds to Make Wordsmithonia Go Round

Or...For The People, And By The People of Wordsmithonia

Or...How To Think Outside The Box....or Did Anyone See That Outofcontrol Carriage ComeTearing Though Wordsmithonia?

Or... What The Heck, it's Springtime in Wordsmithonia!

Message Edited by KathyS on 03-29-2009 07:00 PM
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Glossary

My Dear Nobles and Friends:

I will be putting out Volume 2 of the glossary tomorrow.  I was going to do it tonight, but my eyes are getting sore.  I meant to include pictures with most of the entries in volume 1 but my editing option timed out.  Thank you for the interest in this work.  More will be forthcoming.

By My Own Hand,

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: Name That Book!

LOL My favorite is --- What The Heck, it's Springtime in Wordsmithonia!  LOL:smileyvery-happy:

KathyS wrote:

blkeyesuzi wrote:

Just a few---- 

Or...How To Think Outside The Box....or Did Anyone See That Outofcontrol Carriage ComeTearing Though Wordsmithonia?

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

I agree, that one's the best! :smileywink:

carmen22 wrote:
LOL My favorite is --- What The Heck, it's Springtime in Wordsmithonia!  LOL:smileyvery-happy:

KathyS wrote:

blkeyesuzi wrote:

Just a few---- 

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
KathyS
0 Kudos

I'm sorry I wasn't more explicit.  Those titles I wrote were just a few random thoughts, now  I want ALL OF YOU to write some titles down under this message subject line.  Be creative!  Then we can all pick the one (1) we like. 

p.s.  I had actually thought about printing all of these posts (storylines), and putting them into a storybook, but I never thought that the thread, and story, would get as large as it has.  Sounds like work, now!  Pretty soon we're going to need a whole board, just for this Kingdom to flourish! LOL  If anyone does want to do something with this story, like publish it, just remember to include everyone's name who has contributed to it....and of course, we WILL split the royalties! (pun intended) :smileyhappy:

Kathy

Dreamer4ever wrote:

I agree, that one's the best! :smileywink:

carmen22 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

blkeyesuzi wrote:

Just a few---- 

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

[ Edited ]

Here's my few ideas for titles but I don't know if I can top What The Heck, it's Springtime in Wordsmithonia! LOL!! Here goes nothing:

What Would Wordsmithonia Do?

Wordsmithonia the Good, Bad and Ugly!

Digging for Gold in Wordsmithonia!

Wordsmithonia Gone Crazy!

Message Edited by carmen22 on 03-30-2009 10:18 AM
Scribe
debbook

Wordsmithonia goes Shopping

Wordsmithonia goes to England

The Art of Wordsmithonia

The Creatures of Wordsmithonia

Pride and Wordsmithonia

Wuthering Wordsmithonia ( my personal favorite)

dulcinea3

[ Edited ]

Wordsmithonia, I Haiku - Do You Haikme?

Potatoes

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 03-30-2009 12:28 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dulcinea3

Ryan_G wrote:

Singing Nun ---  Code name of one of the most dangerous spies in the know world.  Part of the Cabal of Evil Nuns.  Real name is unknown.  Only known Picture

Sister Betrille  ---  Cohort and of the Singing Nun and member of the Cabal of Evil Nuns. Only Known Picture

The Penguin  ---  Code name of a cohort of the Singing Nun and member of the Cabal of Evil Nuns.  No known picture on file.

Oh dear, I warned you, dear Sire, that those Nuns were Devious!  They have fooled you.  The Nun that you identify as the Singing Nun is, in fact, known as "The Problem" (aka Maria).

Here is a photo of the true Singing Nun, working her enchantment on an ambassador who went on to spread her influence among thousands:

Singing Nun with Victim

I also found this Line-up in the Post Office, with the dread Singing Nun shown amongst other Notorious Nuns of the Cabal that every citizen of Wordsmithonia should be Vigilant for:

Nuns on the Run

Now I must go and pack for the Royal GardenHat Party.  I am considering exchanging my planned costume for one made of Potato Sacks.  Something like this:

Potato Sack Fashion

Ah, Potatoes, Potatoes, Potatoes - come to Mama, my Darlings!!!  Is this a Potato I see before me???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
KathyS
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:
Wordsmithonia, I Haiku - Do You Haikme?
{{{{{groan}}}}} :smileyvery-happy:

I Haiku nutty brain!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

Yeah. Don't know that I could top that one. Hmm...I can't think of any...other than:

When in Wordsmithonia

Okaaay, not the best, but my mind is going in circles. :smileywink:

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

The Bridges of Wordsmithonia County

Ryan_G

Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia Volume 2

Cobra  ---  Enchanted dagger that adopted Lady Raven.  Picture of Cobra 

Corsiero ---  Magic Steed, favorite of King Kylryan.  Picture of Corsiero 

Cowell, Sir ---  Court titled noble.  Assistant to Lady Suzi.  Picture of Sir Cowell 

Huck  ---  Young citizen of Wordsmithonia.  A hapless friend to Tom.  Picture of Huck 

Iskange, Sir  ---  A Quest Knight.  Picture of Sir Iskange 

Museum of Fraudulent Hoaxes --- One of many museums doting the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  Picture of Museum of Fraudulent Hoaxes

Nat  ---  One of the few Smurf Children.  Picture of Nat 

Pinochio  ---  A young citizen of Wordsmithonia.  Friend of Tam and Huck.  Picture of Pinochio 

Smurfette  ---  Only adult female Smurf.  Picture of Smurfette

Sogen, Sir  ---  A Quest Knight.  A Picture of Sir Sogen

Suzi, Lady  ---  Duchess of Xanadu.  Benefactor of Lyrical and Epic Poetry.  Head curator of all Kingdom museums.  Dominion over all Nymphys and Dryads.  Picture of Lady Suzi

Swamps of Grunduhol  ---  Dangerous swamp where the witch Wilhemina Hortense Dwells.  Picture of Swamps of Gunduhol 

Sword of Kylryan  ---  Cursed prank sword that King Kylryan used to torment his brother, Prince Billfor.  Picture of Sword of Kylryan

Technological por Dummica  ---  Codex used by Lady Suzi.  Picture of Technological por Dummica

Tom  --- Young citizen of Wordsmithonia, unruly prankster.  Picture of Tom 

Wilhemina Hortense  ---  Evil witch who through a cures was turned into a half squid hybrid.  Throug illusion she appears as a beautiful young woman.  She dwells in the Swamps of Grunduhol where she collects and hoardes dangerous artifacts.  Picture of Wilhemina Hortense

Xanadu  ---  Duchy held by Lady Suzi.  Picture of Xanadu Palace

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia

Volumes 3, 4, 5 will be coming shortly

Scribe
debbook

Re: Glossary for The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia Volume 2

Thank you for all your hard work King Ryan. We are repaying you by coming up with the name(s) of the book(s) that you are going to write, become more wealthy that JK Rowling, and take care of us in our old age. No pressure.