Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Holiday Celebrations Around the World

[ Edited ]

Dear One and All, it's that time of year!  The Winter Holiday Season!  Food, Parties, get-togethers with family and or friends; and the celebration of new life.

Our staff, along with the guidance of my son, King Ryan, has been hard at work decorating, and gathering ideas from customs, from all of the realms around us.

I wish to encourage you to show us what you are doing, this time of year.  What your customs are, and how you celebrate these winter months.

I celebrate Christmas, with the birth of my Lord and Savior, Jesus.  All births are miraculous, especially this time of year, when the trees are barren, and the valleys and hills lay fallow, sleeping, preparing, and regenerating the earth for the coming of Spring.  A winter wonderland of new births to come.

Here is a picture of our castle this winter, and my two favorite visitors to our realm, Minnie and Mickey Mouse.  They will be staying with us during this time of celebration.  They spread their happy magic, like no one I know!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Gingerbread House

[ Edited ]

Oh!  Please do NOT pop the bubble, PLEASE!  The gingerbread house is being prepared for the children!  What is your favorite Gingerbread House?  Do you have a story to go with it?

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Celebrations Around the World

[ Edited ]

KathyS wrote:

Dear One and All, it's that time of year!  The Winter Holiday Season!  Food, Parties, get-togethers with family and or friends; and the celebration of new life.

Our staff, along with the guidance of my son, King Ryan, has been hard at work decorating, and gathering ideas from customs, from all of the realms around us.

I wish to encourage you to show us what you are doing, this time of year.  What your customs are, and how you celebrate these winter months.

I celebrate Christmas, with the birth of my Lord and Savior, Jesus.  All births are miraculous, especially this time of year, when the trees are barren, and the valleys and hills lay fallow, sleeping, preparing, and regenerating the earth for the coming of Spring.  A winter wonderland of new births to come.

Here is a picture of our castle this winter, and my two favorite visitors to our realm, Minnie and Mickey Mouse.  They will be staying with us during this time of celebration.  They spread their happy magic, like no one I know!

And look who I see out in front, our friends, the Polar Bear family.  They love greeting the visitors.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Harbin Ice Festival

The Harbin Ice Festival

Start: January 5th 2013

End: February 5th 2013

The Harbin Ice Festival is one of the world's four largest ice and snow festivals, along with Japan's Sapporo Snow Festival, Canada's Quebec City Winter Carnival, and Norway's Ski Festival.

Festival title

• Official Name in China: China•Harbin International Ice and Snow Festival
  • Translated Name in Wikipedia: Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival
  • Simple Names by Tourists: Harbin Ice FestivalHarbin Snow Festival,Harbin Ice and Snow FestivalHarbin ice lantern festival

When does the Harbin Ice Festival take place?

The festival officially starts in January 5th every year, but the locals begin to celebrate the festival in the third week of December of the previous year because most of the ice lanterns, ice and snow sculptures are completed by this time. Depending on the weather conditions and activities, the festival usually last until the end of February.

Harbin history

Human settlement in the Harbin area dates from at least 2200 BC (late Stone Age). In 1115 CE, Jin Dynasty established their capital, Shangjing (上京 or Upper Capital) Huining Fu (会宁府), in today's Acheng District of Harbin.[7] However, the region of Harbin was still largely rural until the 1800s. There were only over ten villages and about 30,000 people in Harbin region by the end of the 19th century.

Festival history and origin

As early as 1980s, the ice lanterns in Harbin were known by many tourists from all over China. The local interesting winter activities and sports made the ice city more vitality in winter. The local unique snow and cultural activities have been subject to the government's attention. Especially, when the officers of the Propaganda Department of Harbin Municipal Party Committee met the tourists from Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau, they found that their guests were very crazy about Harbin's ice lanterns, ice cultures, winter activities and snow, they had an idea for holding the ice and snow festival to promote Harbin's tourism. In Oct. 1983 the officers approached Harbin Municipal Party Committee with a suggestion. After more than a year's unremitting effort, the suggestion was accepted by both Harbin Municipal Government and Heilongjiang Provincial Government. On Jan. 5, 1885, the first Ice Lantern Show was declared its opening at Zhaoling Park. At the same time, the government announced the annual Ice and Snow Festival starts at Jan 5 and last about 2-3 months.

Theme Parks

Harbin Ice and Snow World , Ice Lantern Show (some people also name it Ice Lantern Park FairIce Lantern Fair, or Ice Lantern Fair Party) , Sun Island International Snow Sculpture Art Expo

The Harbin Ice Festival Venues

The whole city of Harbin celebrate the Ice and Snow Festival, the Songhua River, all streets, parks and ski resorts are the venues of the festival, some famous venues are the west of the Sun Island, Zhaolin Park, Sun Island, Songhua River, and Stalin Park.

2013 Programme

During the festival, the host city holds the Ice Lantern Show, the snow sculptures park fair, and international competitions for ice and snow sculptures; launches winter swimming, ice sailing, speed skating, mountain skiing and cross-field skiing competitions; and organizes the ice and snow film art festival, exhibitions of paintings, calligraphy and photos, performances of folk songs and dances, and wedding ceremonies on ice, in addition to economic and trade talks, commodities fairs and trade fairs.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

QM,

I'm so looking forward to next week, and I'm really enjoying the way the Kingdom is coming together.  The staff have informed me that they plan on having pictures available for view within the next few days.  I'm hoping that by sharing those pictures it will allow those who are away from the Kingdom to feel as if they are at home.

By My Own Hand,

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com