Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Holiday Party Fare

Dear People of the realm! 

Our chefs and bakers are hard at work, slaving over the hot stoves in our kitchens.  I have instructed them to be the most creative that they can be, because I think this year we should put a theme to this occasion of preparing our food.  Foods From Around The World.  We will think of these countries as we partake of their fare.

We do have our own traditional fare, what about other Kingdoms?  Display the table with whatever you wish, it will be enjoyed by all!  I especially like Queen Pollanasia's tree of Sushi!  What a great idea, so colorful and festive as a center piece in the garden for the party!  Everyone, please see if you can bring something unique and individual, or something your own family enjoys eating for the holidays - be it candy, cookies, meats, vegetarian, desserts -  anything that speaks to the festivities here.  I am getting hungrier by the minute!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Party Fare

I think that in addition to the Sushi Tree, we should also have the French Fry Tree and the Chocolate Tree!

Spain, Castilla:

The traditional roast (not just at Christmastime, but year-round in this region) would be Cochinillo Asado (roast suckling pig) - sorry if it grosses you out, but this is very, very traditional.  Sometimes, to demonstrate how tender it is (although the skin is crispy), they will cut it with the edge of a plate instead of a knife.

Or Cordero Asado (roast baby lamb)

Either would always be served with Patatas Fritas, the perennial and ubiquitous Spanish side dish for meat!  Cooked in olive oil, nice and crispy.

Typical sweets that are available during the Christmas season:

Polvorones.  These cookies are, I believe, made primarily of ground almonds, and have the consistency of loosely-held-together powdered sugar.  They are individually-wrapped, and if you just open one up, it will fall apart (polvo means dust).  So, you squish them between your palms while still wrapped, and then they hold together a bit better.

Turrón.  This nougat confection comes in blocks, which you slice, and comes in a wide variety of flavors.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Peppermill

[ Edited ]

Castle Elsinore

Since the humble Lord Jude Law is Danish Hamlet no more on Broadway, the Norwegian Prince Fortinbras is planning holiday festivities at Elsinore based on glorious Scandinavian favorites of the season..  His cooks and their descendents deign to share with us via the miracles of this latter age pictures and recipes for items like lefse (a flat potato “crepe”) and rich cookies, often laden with Danish butter.  Not included here are the famous smorgasbords, oft groaning boards with many varieties of fish.  How difficult it must have been for our American Danish, Norwegian and Swedish ancestors who lived so near the sea to relocate to the landlocked upper Plains, as so many did. 

Here are some pictures of lefse in many forms, along with a recipe.

The women here remind me of a family of sisters among my friends who meet each year in November to prepare their season’s supply of lefse.

The size of the lefse sheets astound in the historic photo here.  (See picture in the lower left corner.)

I remember that my Danish family always prepared several varieties of butter, flour, and sugar based delicacies at holiday time.   Some of them had names like these:  spritz (cookie press), pepparkarkor (ginger cookies), rosettes, krumcake, Swedish almond cookies, sandkakor, sand cookies, sugar cookies, kringlor (cookie rings), drommar (dreams) and mazariner (mazarins).

Here are some links with pictures and recipes:

http://www.foreverswedish.org/tasteofsweden.htm

http://allrecipes.com/howto/scandinavian-christmas-cookies/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pebber-Nodder-Danish-Christmas-Cookies/Detail.aspx

http://www.christmas-cookies.com/recipes/recipe498.danish-christmas-cookies.html

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Sprinz and Almond cookies! (dances around with eyes closed rubbing belly)

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm going to bring a reather traditional dinner with me. This isn't everything that I will bring but it will give everyone a good idea.

A lovely mustard, honey glazed ham, sauteed kale, au gratin potatoes, apple walnut stuffing, whole wheat rolls, and sweet potato pie.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

To all,

I have found our beloved Cooky Carrot Top.  He had been basking on the Isles with my darling daughter, Princess Deb.  To our joyous surprise, he was not lost in our dungeon, so returns to us this holiday!  None the worse for wear, except for a bit of a sunburned nose.  All the more festive, I say!  I persuaded him to rejoin our community, and he is now hard at work in the kitchen, baking all of these delectable pastries that we have so sorely missed while he was away. 

I can smell all of these wonderful foods that are starting to fill the kitchen from so many realms.  I cannot wait to try everything.  I have also instructed that the French designers make many of those wonderful French Fry trees, and The Swiss to add the chocolate tree as well.  I can see that our tables will be loaded with more food than our small grouping can eat, so I've decided that it wouldn't be a party unless our animal friends, fairies, and trolls, join us.  And all of our hardworking staff.  Everything will be completed on Christmas Eve.  No one should work on Christmas day.  Everyone will serve themselves at this beautiful smörgåsbord.  What a wonderful day we will have!

QM, Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

My daughter and I decided to make this Christmas meal easier for her, and everyone.  Since I've been in the cooking mood, and I have the time,  I suggested I'd bring the split Cornish game hens, but instead of cooking them in her oven, I marinated and BBQ'd them the day before.  I prepared most of the stuffing ahead the night before, too, and this year I put dried cranberries in it for looks, and it lent a great flavor....(I have to laugh, my daughter left a little pile of them on her plate).  All we had to do was stick everything in the oven to heat through.  I made and brought little pumpkin pie tarts.  I thought the kids would like their own little pie. 

My daughter made cheese cake, which I forgot to eat, or take home...it was in the refrigerator!  Out of sight, out of mind.  We had potatoes and gravy and salad and rolls.  The great thing about this year was, the kids didn't complain about anything they ate....Evan, my grandson (6), will eat just about anything you put in front of him, but Emma, (8) she's been the picky one, except this year she ate it all, no complaints!   Then Evan got the can of whipped cream, and had to spray it on his pie, himself....a gigantic mound!...then tried to eat the pie, and ended up with a face full of whipped cream...I stuck my finger in his cream, and smeared it on his cheek...the one spot that didn't have any....he got his new camera out and took a picture of himself....that was so funny.....Does anyone like to play in their food?  I remember, as a kid, I would take my mashed potatoes and sculpt them into some form or another..hmmm..  Anyway, the day ended, enjoyable for all.