Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: INTERACTIVE STORY - What? - HELP!

[ Edited ]

BLUB-BLUB OO HELP!  BLUB-BLUB OO HELP!

GASP-SPUTTER-O-HELP! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

O BLUB OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

O BLUB OOOOOO

oooooo BLUB oo

ooooooooooooo

oooooooooooo

oooo BLUB o

oooooooooo

ooooooooo

o BLUB o

ooooooo

oooooo

ooooo

oooo

ooo

oo

B

L

U

B

Wordsmith
Capuchin

Re: INTERACTIVE STORY - What? - HELP!

I crave pardon of the lords and ladies, but I have learnt much my master needs to know quickly, and I fear my creepycrawlyupias are so taken by the darkness and dank of the dungeons that they refuse to leave it and take my message to the proper ear. No path is open to me, therefore, but to speak openly and hope my words reach the one I serve.

Master, be of good cheer! The Queen Mother did indeed swoon in the arms of the creature, but as the shadows in which I knelt were nearer to her than the windows of the palace, I saw what was hidden from the others -- it was not fear or loathing which overcame her, but passion!

Yes, O Worthy Master, it was not a kidnaping but a tryst.

Using my special methods, which you know so well, I was able to follow, unseen and unheard, through their torturous path to the deepest recesses of the dungeon and their most secret lovenest.

I will not dare besmirch the Queen Mother's dignity by relating all which I have seen, but it is apparent her youthful craving for the stories of zombies and vampires long ago blossomed into a wild desire to abandon herself in the arms of a strong and mysterious lover.

I pray you have heard nought of the Fungus People, for I fear their presence here may be easily misconstrued. As one might imagine, the finest silks and laces perish quickly in the dungeon's clime, and even here, the Queen Mother has moments which require her to be 'presentable.' To that end, the creature called upon his friends to accommodate her needs. The Fungus People happily serve as her dressmakers and jewelers, draping her with capes of soft mosses and adorning her with crowns of their finest mushrooms.

It is my pleasure to report that King Ryan and Princess Deb are also here. I endeavor to pay no mind to their doings, as it is not my nature to spy, yet I could not but help notice they appear to be frequent visitors to these depths where they may play childish games without fear of their dignity being brought into disrepute, their subjects not being able to witness their antics in this realm of their mother's secret friend. One may also construe they have long known the creature by the manner in which they call him "Uncle Herman" and play hide-and-seek with him.

I fear I cannot hazard to say when the Queen Mother will return. I have oft heard her murmur "I never want to leave you" while in his arms, but I have also noted how her brow knits and the pensive cast of her eyes when her children talk of life above-ground. It will be but a matter of time before her sense of duty prevails over her passion and she takes her place amongst you once more.

It is with deepest regret I intruded upon the lords and ladies here, and I can but pray my news allays some fears as recompense for my effrontery. My only hope of validation is my need to inform my master of what I have learned and to seek pardon for the delay in the errand which led me to be passing through the palace garden that fateful afternoon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Wordsmith
Capuchin

Re: INTERACTIVE STORIES

Harken all Lords and Ladies and Gentlebeings of the Realm!

I fear I have news which will sadden even the hardest heart, and I can offer only a bittersweet hope in way of consolation.

The Queen Mother will, at any moment, lose her beloved. It is a disheartening blow, for even though she has been fraught of late by daily evidence of his masculine nature (his tracking in mud being her greatest peeve), she daily (and often twice or thrice daily) finds comfort and passion in his strong arms and delicate fins.

Hunters from the Malodorous Moor, the Sloughy Swamp, and the Less-Than-Comfortable-and-a-Bit-Reeky Fens have long sought the creature to no avail. Though they had some hope of capturing him when they learned of his presence in the dungeons, none could penetrate far into that dark and dank labyrinth or follow his traces.

It is my sad duty to report those seeking him have acquired a map so detailed and complete they shall have no difficulty finding him. Drawn with quagbug blood so it glows in the dark, showing all possible escape routes, and warning of even the smallest chink which might trip them or the tiniest croaker which might sound an alarm, that exquisite document cannot fail to effect his capture.

It may be an added blow to saddened hearts, but it must be said: the hunters purchased that incredible and wonderful map for a mere pittance, for I could not find it in my heart to charge for my labor in drawing it and sold it to them for not a single silver more than what the creature had lost to me at dice before welching on his honorable debt.

There is no doubt he, once captured, will be quickly and quietly whisked far from the Realm and the possibility of the Queen Mother's intervention. Those who hunt him have already sent word to their masters to arrange for swift justice for the creature upon their return.

I fear I see little hope for abrogation of the charges against him, for they are most severe and offer no hope of probation. Although it is not in my nature to spy, I could not help but overhear the hunters discussing his fate -- the creature faces many years of imprisonment for failure to pay alimony to his nine ex-wives in the Malodorous Moor, decades at hard labor for no less than eleven counts of bigamy in the Sloughy Swamp, and the Master of the Less-Than-Comfortable-and-a-Bit-Reeky Fens is contemplating sending him to debtor's prison without trial, for the creature will never be able to pay child support for each of the four thousand six hundred and eighty-seven eggs resulting from his indiscretion while passing through the fen on his way to meet the Queen Mother.

I know all of us will share the heartbreak of the Queen Mother's loss of her one true love.

I can offer but one word of solace: once the creature has been taken from her, it is doubtful the Queen Mother will long stay in the dungeons, for in addition to their darkness, dampness, and unhealthy air, each clump of lichen, every lank cobweb, and even the smallest toad will be painful reminders of what she has lost.

We need be patient only a few days more, and the Queen Mother, heavy of heart and sodden of skirt, will reappear in her garden, ready to bury her grief in the minutiae of being a kind and loving ruler.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
KathyS

To all my Kingdom, and especially Lord Capuchin.

I must say, I am at last clean, my dear and beloved realm of people of good will!  A month later, and I have finally recovered from this world of nightmarish indiscretion, and putrefied smells.  I had not intended this to happen!  Not in the least, you must believe me!  I was innocently sipping my tea and reading by the pool.  I fell asleep, and before I knew what happened to me, I was lifted into these strong arms, and whisked away.  I did yell, but no one seemed to have heard me!!  Only Lord Capuchin,  all the way from his Kingdom of Writerdom.  And most gracious and honorable Lord his is, too!  Only thinking of my welfair!

Yes, I know of the Creature's odor.  I did insist he shower daily, and use a proper solvent to rid his stench, but we tried everything, from Draino, to Carnaubas wax.  From a car wash facility, to scrubbing bubbles, but to no avail, it would not remove the years and years worth of bacterial stench under his skin.  I actually became accustomed to it, which surprised me!  Or maybe it was the peanut butter on Webber's bread I stuffed up my nose that did it.  There seemed to be a lot of peanut butter sandwiches laying around, when I arrived here in the dark, dank dungeon, within his strong webbed hands.

I did not know of his past, as he kept insisting I was his one and only true love.  I couldn't help but fall in love with him, as his weepy eyes revealed a soul that I had never known.  Of course, I did not realize that his eyes were weepy because of constant emersion in the poluted black lagoon, where pink eye abounds!

But, now it is over, and I feel as though I have lost a kindred spirit,  and there is no way in which I will feel as though there will ever be another to take his place; therefore I will seek solace in my solitude and duties of the realm, and be amongst my friends to whom I will be no doubt indebted, one day, for thinking about rescuing me from this wonderful, if ordiforous, creature.  He had a loving heart, which is obvious by the amount of wives and hearts he had captured, although in my case, broke.

I am going on, and waste no time in submerging myself in my duties.  My son, King Ryan seems to be back from his out-side-the-Kingdom duties.  I need a strong arm around me to hold me up, now that I am in the dotarding-age-of-less-reason.

And what was the name of that good looking young man in the purple kilt?  I seemed to have forgotten.  See, I cannot even remember this week's party attendees!  Whoa is me!

My son, please ask Melvin to come to my room, and light my fire....Autumn brings a chill to the air, and my old bones are creaking more than ever tonight.

As always,

your Queen Mother

Kathy

Ryan_G

Mother,

I'm more than relieved to find you safe and sound back in our palace.  I just wish it was under better circumstances.  I know this ordeal has been hard on you and that you are of mixed feelings about it.  Ijust hope that with time you will feel like your old self again.

Melvin is more than happy to help you with anything you need him for, so don't hesitate to call on him for anything else you may need. 

I just saw Burges and I must say he is looking mightly relieved that you are back.  I wouldn't be surprised to find him waiting on you night and day for the next several weeks.  It makes me wonder if our head butler may have a slight crush on our royal mother.

Madame Caje has been working on some wonderful new teas that I'm sure she will be serving to you at anytime.  I'm really enjoying the coconut lime tea she came up with last week and I'm looking forward to trying the chocolate cherry tea tonight. 

I should be around the palace all day today so if you need anything please let me know.

By My Own Hand,

Your Loving Son, King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dulcinea3

Hallelujah!!!  Our beloved Queen Mother Kathy and dear King Ryan are restored to us!!!

In their honor, I have composed the following haiku:

Oh, missing Royals,

We have wondered where you were,

So glad you are back.

Perhaps Madame Caje would be so kind as to send over a stash of her new chocolate cherry tea to my crystal palace of Fantasia?  I would love to try it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
KathyS

dulcinea3 wrote:

Hallelujah!!!  Our beloved Queen Mother Kathy and dear King Ryan are restored to us!!!

In their honor, I have composed the following haiku:

Oh, missing Royals,

We have wondered where you were,

So glad you are back.

Perhaps Madame Caje would be so kind as to send over a stash of her new chocolate cherry tea to my crystal palace of Fantasia?  I would love to try it!

My dear Dame Duchess Dulcinea,

It is very kind of you to write a poem for us.  Thank you, you are most gracious, Dame Dulcinea.  I think the least King Ryan could do is to send you this tea.  I, though, was not fond of it. Even though I do love a good cherry-chip ice cream, this tea did not have the same taste, at all.  It paled in comparison of richness.

I am much the traditionalist, where my tea is concerned, I'm afraid.  But, I do always try these new concoctions that my son waves under my nose!  Perhaps, one day, I will come across one to my liking.  A stout black Darjeeling;  or an Earl Grey, with a hint of bergamot, or a good hearty black English Breakfast tea, are my desires at this time.    The English Breakfast Tea Cake is absolutely delicious, too!   You must try it!

Of course, Burgess will bring me my son's teas to try, but he always accompanies them with one of my favorites, just incase I cannot finish the other.

My dear, we must get together one of these days in the Solarium, so I can thank you properly.  I will have Burgess bring in Madam Caje, too,   I'm sure she would bring her most latest teas for you to try, and I will have the kitchen make these cake delights for you, as well.

Oh, and I see the trees are starting to change their colors!  You must, must come for a walk with me and see these!

Yours truly,

QM Kathy

Ryan_G

Dame Dulcinea,

Once again you have proven yourself worthy to be our kingdom's poet laureate.  You have touched us deeply and I am so glad to be back.

It's actually thanks to you that I'm not popping out for long periods of time anymore.  For a while it seems that every time I left the kingdom on buisness, a nefarious spell was keeping me from getting back in.  I had all the best wizards, sorcerers, witches, druids, shamans, witch doctors, and warlocks working on it but they were to no avail.  When I recieved word from you that you and your wonderful cats had figured out a possible solution to my problem, I was eager to try it.

Thanks to you and yours, I'm now able to come and go as I please.  I'm keeping in mind though that something or someone wanted me out of the kingdom for a reason.  I think it would be wise of us to stay on our toes.

As a small token of my appreciation though, I'm sending along a few gifts.  They will never show how much I value your wisdom and counsel.

I saw these cat sculptures as I was traveling with Lion-O on the outskirts of Catatonia, and I thought of you.  I'm sure they will look good where ever you put them.

Same goes for this fountain.  Cheetara told me thought it belonged in the former Queen's garden and when Catatonia was overthrown, it was hidden away.  Cheetara told me that you would be able to find a lovely spot for it.

I had Melvin forge this for you as well.  He never stops surprising me in the skill level he shows.  I had Glinda enchant it so you will always be able to find your way home, no matter where you are.

Last but not least a few of the wood sprites told me about a young animal lost in the woods.  I sent Mickey and Goofy out to find him and when they brought him back, I could think of only one place to send him.  I know you will be provide a good home for him since he's a long ways from Florida.

Thank you once again in helping me resolve the horrible experience I was having.  I just hope we are able to get to the bottom of it soon, before other nefarioius events start to happen.

By My Own Hand,

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia

Wordsmith
Capuchin
0 Kudos

Greetings gracious and gentle Queen Mother!

I thank you for your kind words of me. It is heartening you bear me no ill will for having made your situation a matter of public converse. I can plead no excuse but the ardent desire to save my own skin, for had I not communicated in some way to my master the reason for my tarrying in your realm, my fate would, mayhaps, been dire.

Though some may have thought treading in those unwholesome dungeons a tiresome and thankless venture, I went gladly, and watching over you during that perilous time was a great honor for my unworthy self. While you required not my services, I would have been sorely grieved had you needed me for the slightest thing and I was not present to comfort you or ensure your safety.

I applaud your courage and mourn your suffering in the days after the creature was taken from you. Had it not been for your resolve to set aside your deepest desires and return to fulfill your duties, I would never have been able to convince my creepycrawlyuppias that we all serve a greater purpose and persuade them to leave the dungeons with me. While many may not appreciate weebeasties who thrive in places dark and dank, I have found them to be servants most valuable for relaying messages, sniggling into places far too small for a man, and a multitude of tasks too onerous to mention in kindly company.

Whether it will ease your suffering, I know not, but you may find some comfort in the news that your lover has not been imprisoned. While I believed those who were seeking the creature were honorable men acting in the name of justice, they were, in the parlance of their trade, 'headhunters.' They received high reward for delivering him to WeBeGhouls which immediately made him Vice President in Charge of Personnel Propagation, a position in which he has shown great enthusiasm and fostered a voluminous increase in production.

If it be not unbecoming, I will say your wit is an inspiration. Though deception is not my forte, I recognize the hand of a master in your stating I am from the Kingdom of Writerdom. It nearly served your purpose, for I stood on the precipice of naming my homeland, to gently correct the information you had wrongly been given, when my oath to never speak of my master's home led me to recognize the trap you had laid.

Alas, my true name and that of my realm must remain unknown, for I am not my own master and my kingdom lies under the shadow of a power far greater than myself. Have no apprehension on my behalf, for it is a matter of my own doing, and there lies a reward greater than the cost of my service. Long ago, my kingdom faced dire times from famine and floods. The only hope for my people lay in a sacrifice to the family of dragons also ravaging our lands.

Rather than offering a virgin, quickly eaten and burped away, I made compact with their eldest. I laughed when he made me swear to serve his lowliest daughter for five hundred years -- it was short time for a dragon but much too long for any man. Little did I know then of the mastery of a vow made to a wyrm and blessed by a full moon.

Ere the rest of his family left my kingdom, they flew across the lands, dragging their tails to make drainage canals to raise our crops above the floodwaters, and they fertilized our fields beyond imagining with their powerful dung. My people have prospered, and so I can better serve the ugly egglayer, I have failed to age these last two hundred years.

Though an occasional errand on behalf of my master may lead me through your lands, my time is clearly not my own to command. I fear I will not be a frequent visitor to your realm.

I beg you allow me to relate how great my pleasure and what a wondrous honor it was to serve you during your sojourn, and I pray your sorrow quickly pales.

As a modest aid to your finding comfort, I shall dispatch a measure of an ancient preparation assured to soothe mind and body. Drizzled into a bath, it softens the skin, drains away the deepest aches, and its scent of cherries and strawberries lulls the mind. You may find it delightfully playful, for the bubbles taste of cheesecake. I have been feeding my creepycrawlyuppias scented sugar of late, so the webs they may spin on the royal bathtub to aid their delivering this gift will rival the purest cotton candy.

Your humble admirer . . .

Someone

dulcinea3

My dear Queen Mother Kathy and King Ryan,

I am sorry to have been so remiss in replying to you both, but I have been stricken with a terrible cold for several weeks now, and am just now beginning to recover.

Queen Mother, thank you for your kind invitation to have tea and stroll through the grounds with you.  Once I am completely well, I hope to be able to take you up on it!  Hopefully the gorgeous foliage will still be on the trees, rather than on the ground!

King Ryan, I am delighted to have been of service to you in your attempts to get back to your Kingdom!  It is a tricky method, to be sure, but it seems effective.  I hope that we shall see your regal person out and about frequently from now on!

Thank you so much for the lovely gifts you have lavished upon me!  The statues and the fountain will be such lovely additions to my grounds!  I especially love the beautiful necklace, with its magical properties.  I can always count on my good friend Glinda to come through for me.  My own cats were somewhat frightened of the large cat that you rescued, but believe it or not, he gets along very well with the Flying Monkeys, and so he is now happily living on their Island with them.  They enjoy carrying him around in their arms as they fly about the island, and he loves being up in the air where he can see so far.

Once again, may I express my delight that our Queen Mother and our King have been restored to us!

Obeisantly Yours,

Dame Dulcinea

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Contributor
rosilynn_grey

[ Edited ]

Queen Mother,  I am releived to know that you are alright. all the blubbing was quite scary but I couldnt assist with your rescue and would have been pulled in by  dangerous seaweed in which can only be untangled  with special words that only ophelia the witch knew.  The man in the purple kilt is Stephan. Have you had a chance to speak with him? He is quite knowledgeable  of all sorts of nature and gardening and such, as well as knowing how to look dapper . :smileywink: :smileyhappy: but becareful, he takes forever in the bathroom I was told .

Princess Rose of Rosegardenland

Christina
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

To All Of The Realm, 

It has come to my attention that certain elements of our Kingdom are not running as smoothly as they should be.  The Clockwork Cuckoo Clock of Coolio Cordavon has gears that are sticking but nobody can figure out why.  The Bending Bookcase of Benjamin Buttons is no longer bending and even Handy Smurf is having a hard time figuring out what's going on.  The Adjacent Antique Assyrian Alligators of Ali Aba are no longer staying true to their lines and no amount of rulers are helping the matter. 

I could go on and on but I won't, I think we have all been able to observe what's been going on in our own holdings over the last few days.  It seems like some of our oldest laws of physics are no longer working and we need to find out why.

So I'm asking each and everyone of you to do your own investigations into these happenings and report back to me what you find out.  Maybe together we can get to the bottom of these nefarious goings on.

By My Own Hand,

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia