Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS

March Madness! - Oscar Night Party

Oscar Night Party

I'm thinking about the Oscars at the moment!  How many of you watch them?  Or, how many of you don't?  Give us your opinions about any and all things pertaining to---- Pictures, music, actors, fashion, FOOD...etc. 

Here are a few munchies you might be interested in serving, if you want to throw an Oscar night party.... complements of Allrecipes.com.  Enjoy!

Get ready to eat, drink, and dish!

Host a movie awards party.

Divine Dips

Spinach Dip with Water Chestnuts

Cold Appetizers

Antipasto

Hot Appetizers

Brie and Mushroom Phyllo Puffs

Silver Screen Sippers

Champagne Cocktail

KathyS
0 Kudos

March Madness! - Oscar Night - Best Movies

KathyS
0 Kudos

March Madness! - Oscar Night - Best Actors, Leading Role

KathyS
0 Kudos

March Madness! - Oscar Night - Best Actors. Supporting Role

KathyS
0 Kudos

March Madness! - Oscar Night - The Writers

And the list goes on.  But, not to forget the writers. 

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Writing (Original Screenplay)

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: March Madness! - Oscar Night - The Writers

Wow the Oscars a running long tonight. Ran out of cheese popcorn 2 hours ago! :smileysurprised:

KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

:smileyvery-happy:  It's only 8:46!  I haven't had my popcorn yet!  I think it's too late for me!  I'm watching the Oscars, and on the computer at the same time....I'm ready to recline!  They're ready to give the award for Best Actress...hmm I wonder who's going to get it?  Sandra Bullock!  Yoohoo!  Talk about a stunned look on her face!  What a beautiful acceptance speech!  I love her!

TiggerBear wrote:

Wow the Oscars a running long tonight. Ran out of cheese popcorn 2 hours ago! :smileysurprised:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A Big and hearty "H*LL YA!" to the three I was most routing for; Catherine Bigalo B Director, Sandra Bullock B Actress, and Monique B S actress.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

(chuckle) Yeah Kathy your on the other side of the country from me. It's midnight and is not over yet. Should have bought more popcorn. :smileyvery-happy:

KathyS
0 Kudos

Streisand was so excited that a woman, for the first time, got best director...wow....and Hurt Locker got the B picture.  I haven't seen any of those movies...But I was thinking Avatar was going to get it, just because it's the largest grossing picture, ever... It's over...that was fun! 

Nite, nite

mom  :smileyhappy:

KathyS
0 Kudos

Live here, which is nice...now all the after Oscar-parties begin!

TiggerBear wrote:

(chuckle) Yeah Kathy your on the other side of the country from me. It's midnight and is not over yet. Should have bought more popcorn. :smileyvery-happy:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Did anyone else watch both the Oprah and Barbara's specials? B's sucked ,in my opinin stuffy. Oprah was enjoyable, warm, and fun. Give B's yearly spoy to O.

And BTW Cameron is equally as pleased his Ex wife won, he was talking about how much she deserved it on O's spot.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: March Madness! - Oscar Night

With the exception of 4 of them I saw nearly all of this years films. Not including the foreign one's that never made it to my areas film market. Though I expect the winner to show up next month, always does.

KathyS
0 Kudos

I watched Oprah, most of it....Barbara Walters special is on right now...we haven't seen it.  She's always a bit stuffy..That's just her personality.  I like her, though...

I liked that Cameron was really proud of his Ex for her achievements.  Says a lot.  Now I'm shutting down for the night... :smileyhappy:  see you tomorrow! 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Later, have fun.

pen21
0 Kudos

Thank you for the party and the wonderful food.

I couldn't stay up that late and get to work on time. I watched til about 10 central time. Then caught what you all have on this thread. Then I went to the internet to see what else happened. I wished they would have skipped the dancing part, didn't seem to fit.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: March Madness! - Oscar Night -

pen21 wrote:

Thank you for the party and the wonderful food.

I couldn't stay up that late and get to work on time. I watched til about 10 central time. Then caught what you all have on this thread. Then I went to the internet to see what else happened. I wished they would have skipped the dancing part, didn't seem to fit.

Hi, Luanne.  I frankly had the TV muted a lot.  I saw some of the dancing, but was typing on the computer during that time.  I have my TV in my bedroom, where I also have my computer...I multi-task.  :smileyhappy:  I eat at the same time!  I finally turned the computer off when Barbara Walters special came on.  I thought it was a good program...it was all retrospect of her past Oscar specials.  I see that this was her last Oscar show.  It was fun having Sandra Bullock on last, for this one.  It's always a kick seeing Sandra interviewed....and her winning the Oscar was the icing on the cake for that show, for me, even though it was filmed before the Oscars.  The Walters show was pretty funny, actually.

I thought Baldwin and Martin worked great together as hosts. 

Huffington Post (blog) - ‎1 hour ago‎
But the hosts were good, there was some genuine suspense for a change, and if you could make it all the way till the end, a very satisfying ending. ...

KathyS
0 Kudos

After the Barbara Walters show, I watched some of the after Oscar program, where the dresses and wearers are looked at and discussed.  Some really great gowns, I thought.  The understated ones got the most thumbs up.  Some of those dresses were outrageous, and looked dangerous to walk in!  Over kill is a word for it! 

After that was over, I turned the channel and this channel had cameras at some of the prestigious parties..I watched a few minutes of the interviews, and then turned the TV off and read for a while. 

I can only handle just so much glitz and glamour!  When I was young, all of this was fascinating to watch, because these stars of "days of old"  were mysterious, and intriguing to see in public.  Now, they're spread all over the TV and tabloids.  There is nothing mysterious about them..Everyone knows them inside and out, whether we (or they) like it or not!  It was fun, then, now not so much. 

I've never been to the Kodak theater, but I've been to all the other old theaters around there.  It was always fun to go into LA to a show, or a movie.  I don't anymore. I don't even go to our local theaters to the movies.  I wait for them to come out in DVD form, and get the ones I want to see, and eat all the popcorn I want, in the privacy of my home...in my PJs!  :smileyhappy:  I'm not the party/social animal I once was!  I'm a recluse!  Ha!

Now, I've got to get dressed....I've got to go to singing practice at 10:00 a.m.  Yeah, I'm a performer!  Not much of a recluse, I guess.  So much for that persona...Ha!

KathyS
0 Kudos

March Madness! Calendar

[ Edited ]

What's Happening In March? 

2   - Texas Independence Day    

8   - Commonwealth Day (Canada)          

14 - Daylight Saving Time (2:00 a.m.)

15 - Andrew Jackson Day (Tenn.)

17 - St. Patrick's Day

17 - Evacuation Day (Suffolk Co., Mass.)

20 - Vernal Equinox

28 - Palm Sunday

29 - FULL WORM MOON

29 - Seward's Day (Alaska)

30 - First day of Passover