Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Solarium

For those who wish to converse out-of-character, come here to read, eat, chat, or simply gaze out of the windows...all here to help you relax.

Chairs, recliners, lush couches, offered with maid and butler service. 

Bookcases line three oak walls, three stories high..

One glass wall overlooks a hillside of beautiful trees, meadows, and gardens with fountains, flowers and meandering pathways which lead to secret nooks and crannies.

Enjoy! 

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium

[ Edited ]

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium

Kathy, let me compliment you on the scrumptious furnishings. I'll just take a seat by the tall window over there and pick out a new and interesting read.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Hi, Debbie

dhaupt wrote:

Kathy, let me compliment you on the scrumptious furnishings. I'll just take a seat by the tall window over there and pick out a new and interesting read.

Hi, Debbie!  In case you haven't guessed, which I'm sure you have by now, this is a board for "play time"!  And this thread, the Solarium,  is the basic Community Room...chat about whatever you want.  I'm not the "QM" here, just another poster!   At the moment,  I'm trying to figure out what kinds of threads to introduce on this board, just to keep it organized. 

In the General Com. Room, we only had one thread to navigate around in, and it definitely became cumbersome keeping everything straight, at least for me, as I view these boards in the threaded view. On a board, as it grows, you need separate threads for separate specific topics that related conversations should stay in.  Changing subject lines is imperative, when changing your ideas within that topic thread.  You know how that works!

Everyone who comes here will have a vested interest in this board.  It's an extended family!  And as with all families, there will always be differences of opinions, but respect for those opinions is necessary.  We all have our moments, at least I do!   But, good humor is the goal!

"Ah ne'er so dire a Thirst of Glory boast,
Nor in the Critick let the Man be lost!
Good-Nature and Good-Sense must ever join;
To err is human, to forgive divine.

Alexander Pope (1688-1744)

dhaupt

Re: Hi, Debbie

Thanks Kathy I'm sure I'll  catch on eventually. But so far it's been a hoot.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - Dulci

Dear Queen Mother Kathy,

I am Sorry that I do not currently have the Time to peruse your Wonderful Tale, but I wished to suggest that it would Perhaps be easier to follow if each Separate Story is told in its Own Thread, rather than lumping them all in Here together.  It appears that So Far there is only One in this Thread, so perhaps if someone wants to start Another, they will establish a New Thread for it.  After all, the Ability to start New threads is one of the Chief Advantages of our having this Wonderful new Home.

Obeisantly Yours,

Dame Dulcinea

I brought your note into the Solarium, Denise, since it has no relevance to the story I started, itself. That's the beauty of having these threads, you can separate your personal comments and conversations in this way, keeping the threads clean. 

If you want to start a new thread, I have no problem with it, anyone of the realm can.  I was just being conservative, until I found out what everyone had in mind for this board.

I do think we need a thread for what seems to be ongoing Castle Renovations, of this castle, and a separate thread for the Parties that happen all the time.  And possibly a separate threads for each of your realms.  We all can talk about it freely, here in the Solarium.

Whoever is willing to start a thread, then it needs to be explained, and have a purpose.  That's my thoughts on this, at this time.  I'm floating my view of these threads that have been started, up to the top, until Ryan has the ability to pin them up there for everyone to see, permanently.  I don't know what his plans are, since I haven't talked to him about any of this.  It was all a surprise to me, when I found out that we were getting this board.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Solarium - Choisya

Hi, Choisya!  Thanks for the welcome!  And welcome, back!  Since I started a scenario with you in it, I hope you will participate as it progresses, as I eventually will be landing on your soil!  lol.  I have no idea where this is going to take me [us], so your assistance is going to be needed, along with our imaginary friends!  :smileyvery-happy:

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thread Usage

I do agree that we should have seperate threads for each story line as well as the parties and renovations.  I'm still waiting to find out how we can pin certain threads to the top.  I think we need to do that with the Solarium, Glossary, Welcome, and Who's Who threads.

I'm still waiting to find out how we do all that.  Plus we still need to get the Kingdom thread in the community room brought over here and seperated.

I'm actually thinking of having King Ryan send one of the Rolly Pollys on a quest.  Haven't got it all sorted out yet.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Thread Usage

Ooh and the plot thickens, Yes!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I do agree that we should have separate threads for each story line as well as the parties and renovations.  I'm still waiting to find out how we can pin certain threads to the top.  I think we need to do that with the Solarium, Glossary, Welcome, and Who's Who threads.

I'm still waiting to find out how we do all that.  Plus we still need to get the Kingdom thread in the community room brought over here and separated.

I'm actually thinking of having King Ryan send one of the Rolly Pollys on a quest.  Haven't got it all sorted out yet.

Hi Ryan!  The thought of this undertaking sounds daunting!  To sort through all of those posts, yikes!  If I had the computer that we have at school, I'd have little problem getting through those posts/conversations, but not on this slug I have here at home!  It would take years!  I think you're the good choice to be in charge of this, you're a born leader!  :smileyhappy:  But, there isn't any real hurry, I just advise everyone who intends to be a part of this Kingdom, to start floating those threads that have already been started, to the top of their view so they don't get lost in all of these pages.

Oh, about the Rolly Pollys....you know how they can get side-tracked....when they get hungry.  I'm not sure if they'd be good on a quest.  One of the Knights might be better, or even Melvin...as we say in the Kingdom, two heads are better than one!  Carry on, McRyan!

K.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12

[ Edited ]

I look forward to the day that I may be "Scribed" and titled.  Only about 1,000 posts to go.  :smileyhappy:  In the mean time, if I may ever be of service to the royal family in my role as serf, so be it.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
KathyS
0 Kudos

All are welcome

basson_mommy12 wrote:

I look forward to the day that I may be "Scribed" and titled.  Only about 1,000 posts to go.  :smileyhappy:  In the mean time, if I may ever be of service to the royal family in my role as serf, so be it.

Ruth,

Welcome to the board!  Don't worry about your rank, it was just a jumping off point at the time we launched this Kingdom last March in the Com. Rm.  Kind of a joke, actually, that a bunch of us were Wordsmiths, not really knowing why, or how we became the ranks we became, when B&N started them.  I got silly and gave us the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia...and it took off from there.  It's not important what your rank is, as far as I'm concerned, to join us.  Ryan can anoint you whatever you want to be!  I don't mean he can change your rank, I mean he can give you a royal title of some sort, and duties within this realm.   Once he's done that, put yourself in the Who's who thread. 

Then come and join the fun!

Kathy

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: All are welcome

Ruth,

you are more than welcome to join us.  Just pop on over to the Welcome to Wordsmithonia thread and we will get you settled in.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm trying to figure out how to rename threads once I move posts into their own thread

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - Choisya

What scenario, where?  Are y'all coming Over the Pond again?  Will I have to tell Her Majesty to dust her crown and keep the royal corgis at bay?  Tell all!

KathyS wrote:

Hi, Choisya!  Thanks for the welcome!  And welcome, back!  Since I started a scenario with you in it, I hope you will participate as it progresses, as I eventually will be landing on your soil!  lol.  I have no idea where this is going to take me [us], so your assistance is going to be needed, along with our imaginary friends!  :smileyvery-happy:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

In the subject box, you should be able to backspace and write a new one.

Ryan_G wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to rename threads once I move posts into their own thread

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - Choisya

Choisya, the thread is called, INTERACTIVE STORIES.  It's probably buried under the Wordsmithonia thread and the Glossary thread.  Ryan's got his hands full sorting out what was moved here from the Com. Rm. 

The four we started, here, are:  (They're explained in their respective first post. )

Solarium

Who's who....

Welcome....

INTERACTIVE STORIES

If you want to participate, it would be a good idea to float those four threads to the top, so they don't get lost.  I just started a story in the "story" thread.  If you read it, you'll see what's happening. Just a silly mystery story.

Choisya wrote:

What scenario, where?  Are y'all coming Over the Pond again?  Will I have to tell Her Majesty to dust her crown and keep the royal corgis at bay?  Tell all!

KathyS wrote:

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I tried that with the one "talking" post I moved out of the Glossary thread and it won't let me edit the title.  I don't want to seperate anymore posts until I can figure that part out.

TiggerBear wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I tried that with the one "talking" post I moved out of the Glossary thread and it won't let me edit the title.  I don't want to seperate anymore posts until I can figure that part out.

TiggerBear wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

You know I'd say ask our mod, but we don't have one. It might be one of those mod powers. Ask Jon perhaps...

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Just to let everyone know, I floated Solarium, Glossary of Wordsmithonia, Who's Who of Wordsmithonia, and Welcome to Wordsmithonia to the top for all readers.  That way everyone will see those four threads at the top. 

For those of you who floated those threads for yourselves they may now show up twice.  All you need to do is unfloat them and they should show up at the top only once.  That's what worked for me so I would assume it would be the same for everyone else.

I'm still trying to figure out how to seperate threads out, so once I do I will get started on that project as well.