Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Re: New member/Fussy with words/Night owl

I'm an insomniac, too, but I'm not online at that time.  Usually I'm in bed trying to fall asleep.  Is there some secret way to turn off your brain?

"Awesome" doesn't bother me that much.  I grew up with things being "cool" or "neat", and when I moved to this area as a kid, I was a bit confused by "wicked".  One word that I think is way overused is "hero".  For example, just dying does not make one a hero unless one has been doing something heroic at the time.  I also don't see why they have to keep saying something is "alleged" even if the person was caught red-handed.

BTW, a few words on the origin of this Kingdom.  It started as a thread on the Community Board a while after B&N introduced a new set of titles that you progress to as you post more, get laurels, make tags, etc.  A bunch of people had just found they were Wordsmiths (we didn't know what they were going to be until the titles started appearing, as B&N was very mysterious about the whole thing).  So we started making up this whole fantasy world in which those with the title Wordsmith and up were royalty or nobles.  Eventually an Admin asked if we wanted our own board.  It really had more to do with the titles than actually considering ourselves wordsmiths, although some people certainly are, including our Queen Mother Kathy, who is a poet.  I think I am more of a Bibliophile (a higher title) than a Wordsmith, although I consider myself to have excellent language skills.  Over time, it has kind of died out.  I think one reason is that with every new upgrade of the site, it gets slower, and takes so much time to read and post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
KathyS

Thank you Dame Dulcinea, brilliantly written, as always! 

Words don't bother me, on the contrary!  Although, I don't like words in speaking voice to be over-used.  Anything that becomes redundant is annoying, but period pieces do have to use colloquialisms....It's all a matter of period and context.  Rad words are cool, man!

Sincerely yours,

QM Kathy

Contributor
Ooooooyeah
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I do see what you two are saying.

But I don't like words or phrases that are essentially meaningless and therefore useless. Words and phrases of this sort wean their way into the common vernacular all too often.

I blame the mass media. We're already well on the way to becoming a nation of sheep. And now these sheep are being cross-bred with parrots. I shudder at the thought.

Here are two examples. There are many more.

"price point" - I'm sure the phrase has its place in business writing. But every time I read the phrase I drop the "point," and find that 99% of the time it has been used superfluously.

I believe people say and write "price point" because it sounds and looks sophisticated. It's not.

"going forward" and "moving forward" - Every time you hear this phrase or see it written, try the sentence without the phrase. 99% of the time these are just wasted words.

Moving forward, I hope people stop wasting words.

If you think I'm full of it, Google these two phrases and read the entries where they are used. Then delete "point" or "going forward" or "moving forward" and you'll see what I mean.

Yes, I'm grumpy. But going forward I'll try to lighten up.

Contributor
Ooooooyeah

KathyS wrote:

Words don't bother me, on the contrary!  Although, I don't like words in speaking voice to be over-used.  Anything that becomes redundant is annoying, but period pieces do have to use colloquialisms....It's all a matter of period and context.  Rad words are cool, man!

Sincerely yours,

QM Kathy

Yes, just brilliant. She came up a little shy in the paragraph department, however.

I better get out of here for I am but a lowly "Contributor," or something like that. I have trouble remembering BS titles.

How does one become a "Wordsmith" or one of them there "______philes," or whatever ya call 'em?

Does one get "credentialed" here simply by the number of posts one makes? Is that it? Quantity is the ruler by which members are measured?

If so, I may go to every thread in every Forum and enter, "I'm really a good writer aren't I? I know this 'cuz I really, really have a way with words. Everybody says so."

KathyS

[ Edited ]

Ooooooyeah wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Sincerely yours,

QM Kathy

Yes, just brilliant. She came up a little shy in the paragraph department, however.

I better get out of here for I am but a lowly "Contributor," or something like that. I have trouble remembering BS titles.

How does one become a "Wordsmith" or one of them there "______philes," or whatever ya call 'em?

Does one get "credentialed" here simply by the number of posts one makes? Is that it? Quantity is the ruler by which members are measured?

If so, I may go to every thread in every Forum and enter, "I'm really a good writer aren't I? I know this 'cuz I really, really have a way with words. Everybody says so."

Hello, Contributor to the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  Welcome.  Other than my observation of you as being a bit on the negative, sarcastic, and grumpy side, I do welcome you to our Kingdom.  In actuality, it is everyone's kingdom, as long as you keep a reign on your negative, sarcastic, and grumpy side.  There is a place for that...but not here. 

One of the major points to this forum's origin was/is,  we do not, and will not, critic anyone here, no matter what their writing looks like. 

At one time, it was only if you were a Wordsmith or higher [in rank], that you could participate on this board, but that no longer pertains.

The purpose for the development of this kingdom was, to simply develop dialogue between one another, from the old world's writing/speaking voice, and be as kind to one another as humanly possible when doing so.  We decided it would be fun to create a magical kingdom where everyone could get along in this make believe world. 

To become of a higher rank,  as you posed the question, of course several of us have been here since its inspection, but there is more than just the amount of posts that will increase your rank, as I think Dame Dulcinea pointed out.  Participation, in all things...giving and receiving laurels, tagging, time on the boards, all have something to do with advancement, but it has nothing to do with HOW you write.

We all do, on this board, give kudos for good participation, in all areas of these threads, as you can see there are many to choose from, and welcome everyone to try to participate.  We generally like to stay in the Conservatory, when casual talking, chit chat as it is known on the Fiction Board, is taking place.  It is our "community room".  Years ago the community room meant off topic casual conversation between participants...which never
was permitted in book discussion forums. 

I do not encourage adding new threads to this forum, it can become messy, and I am a neat freak where this board are concerned.  I will not exercise my ability to move threads around, so will leave this one as is, for now.  Any new members, please use the Welcome to Wordsmithonia thread on this board, to introduce yourself. 

All other BS, please take it to the All General Board's Community Room...Start your new threads and topics there.

Thank you so much,

Queen Mother - Duchy of Highland Palms

Kathy S.

Inspired Correspondent
Waggle1
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Ooooooyeah wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Sincerely yours,

QM Kathy

Hello, Contributor to the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  Welcome.  Other than my observation of you as being a bit on the negative, sarcastic, and grumpy side, I do welcome you to our Kingdom.  In actuality, it is everyone's kingdom, as long as you keep a reign on your negative, sarcastic, and grumpy side.  There is a place for that...but not here. 

One of the major points to this forum's origin was/is,  we do not, and will not, critic anyone here, no matter what their writing looks like. 

At one time, it was only if you were a Wordsmith or higher [in rank], that you could participate on this board, but that no longer pertains.

The purpose for the development of this kingdom was, to simply develop dialogue between one another, from the old world's writing/speaking voice, and be as kind to one another as humanly possible when doing so.  We decided it would be fun to create a magical kingdom where everyone could get along in this make believe world. 

To become of a higher rank,  as you posed the question, of course several of us have been here since its inspection, but there is more than just the amount of posts that will increase your rank, as I think Dame Dulcinea pointed out.  Participation, in all things...giving and receiving laurels, tagging, time on the boards, all have something to do with advancement, but it has nothing to do with HOW you write.

We all do, on this board, give kudos for good participation, in all areas of these threads, as you can see there are many to choose from, and welcome everyone to try to participate.  We generally like to stay in the Conservatory, when casual talking, chit chat as it is known on the Fiction Board, is taking place.  It is our "community room".  Years ago the community room meant off topic casual conversation between participants...which never

I do not encourage adding new threads to this forum, it can become messy, and I am a neat freak where this board are concerned.  I will not exercise my ability to move threads around, so will leave this one as is, for now.  Any new members, please use the Welcome to Wordsmithonia thread on this board, to introduce yourself. 

All other BS, please take it to the All General Board's Community Room...Start your new threads and topics there.

Thank you so much,

Kathy S.

Are you drunk?

KathyS

[ Edited ]

Waggle1 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Ooooooyeah wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Sincerely yours,

QM Kathy

Thank you so much,

Kathy S.

Are you drunk?

Waggle 1, who are you talking to?  Are you talking to me, Kathy, or are you talking to Ooooooyeah  ?

I hope you're not talking to me....and I certainly hope you don't continue to use that voice on this board, or any other board for that matter.

KathyS

Be careful

Waggle 1, I see you're from the same board that Ooooooyeah resides.  What Paul lets you say on his board is none of my business, but what any one says on this board, IS my business.  You're welcome here, but please observe why it is you're here.   Please be respectful. 

Thanks,

Kathy S

Contributor
Ooooooyeah

Re: Be careful

[ Edited ]

KathyS wrote:

Waggle 1, I see you're from the same board that Ooooooyeah resides.  What Paul lets you say on his board is none of my business, but what any one says on this board, IS my business.  You're welcome here, but please observe why it is you're here.   Please be respectful. 

Thanks,

Kathy S

Kathy S,

Well! I see you have cautioned Waggle1 to "Be careful." How interesting and yes, vaguely threatening at the same time. You know what they say about sleeping curs. Please do not awaken him.

Please pardon my plain speaking friend.. I PMed him and suggested he take a look around here. I thought it might amuse him. And it did.

He further amused himself, I'm sure, by offering three words in a post directed to no one in particular.

But you apparently decided to speak for the whole board in reply for these three words. I wish you hadn't risen to the occasion. It will only result in his wanting to return. I PMed him again and told him not to come back to cause any problems. He said he would not return, but I asure you, he will monitor this thread.

I am curious as to why, seemingly out of nowhere, you opted to include the, in some quarters anyway, revered name of Mr.Allen.

You seemed to be speaking almost disdainfully of Mr. Allen, his board and board members:

"Waggle 1, I see you're from the same board that Ooooooyeah resides.  What Paul lets you say on his board is none of my business, but what any one says on this board, IS my business."

My, my my! It now occurs to me that this board may be largely inhabited by elitists, if you and your words are indicative of the membership.

For now, let's proceed peacefully. But let me offer you a word of caution as you so kindly offered one to me.

I can't think of any members over in the Paranormal/Urban Fantasy board who could be described as shy, retiring or shrinking violets. They might look askance at your comments about Mr. Allen and by implication his board members.

If they learned of this, you might find your board inundated, flooded, verrun (you choose the word) with visitors who may not be to your liking. And you probably wouldn't like what they posted either. Judging by your remarks, this might result in your feeling like, "There goes the neighborhhood."

They probably would swim the moat sans bathing suits, breach your gates and break a few windows.

Once inside the compound I'm sure they would raid your kitchens, tear the doors off your cupboards and eat all your food and drink all your spirits.

The window breaking would serve a purpose, I suppose. The atmosphere here is exceedingly stuffy to the point of being stifling. Some fresh air might make this a better place.:smileysurprised:

For now at least, I have no intention of copying your comments concerning Mr. Allen to his board for all his members to see.

Mr. Allen is much loved by his members and I believe they would find your comments upsetting to say the very least.

Sincerely,

Ooooooyeah

KathyS

Be Respectful

[ Edited ]

Ooooooyeah wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Thanks,

Kathy S

Kathy S,

Well! I see you have cautioned Waggle1 to "Be careful." How interesting and yes, vaguely threatening at the same time. You know what they say about sleeping curs. Please do not awaken him.

Please pardon my plain speaking friend.. I PMed him and suggested he take a look around here. I thought it might amuse him. And it did.

He further amused himself, I'm sure, by offering three words in a post directed to no one in particular.

But you apparently decided to speak for the whole board in reply for these three words. I wish you hadn't risen to the occasion. It will only result in his wanting to return. I PMed him again and told him not to come back to cause any problems. He said he would not return, but I asure you, he will monitor this thread.

I am curious as to why, seemingly out of nowhere, you opted to include the, in some quarters anyway, revered name of Mr.Allen.

You seemed to be speaking almost disdainfully of Mr. Allen, his board and board members:

"Waggle 1, I see you're from the same board that Ooooooyeah resides.  What Paul lets you say on his board is none of my business, but what any one says on this board, IS my business."

My, my my! It now occurs to me that this board may be largely inhabited by elitists, if you and your words are indicative of the membership.

For now, let's proceed peacefully. But let me offer you a word of caution as you so kindly offered one to me.

I can't think of any members over in the Paranormal/Urban Fantasy board who could be described as shy, retiring or shrinking violets. They might look askance at your comments about Mr. Allen and by implication his board members.

If they learned of this, you might find your board inundated, flooded, verrun (you choose the word) with visitors who may not be to your liking. And you probably wouldn't like what they posted either. Judging by your remarks, this might result in your feeling like, "There goes the neighborhhood."

They probably would swim the moat sans bathing suits, breach your gates and break a few windows.

Once inside the compound I'm sure they would raid your kitchens, tear the doors off your cupboards and eat all your food and drink all your spirits.

The window breaking would serve a purpose, I suppose. The atmosphere here is exceedingly stuffy to the point of being stifling. Some fresh air might make this a better place.:smileysurprised:

For now at least, I have no intention of copying your comments concerning Mr. Allen to his board for all his members to see.

Mr. Allen is much loved by his members and I believe they would find your comments upsetting to say the very least.

Sincerely,

Ooooooyeah

Ooooooyeah,

There are reasons, if you have read this board, for what it's used for.  You can say whatever you like in this thread, it's of no matter to me, but keep it civil, and I would advise you not to threaten me.  I also like Paul very much, and what I said had nothing to do with him, personally, but what he allows on his board. 

This board is used, primarily, for creative writing, and I'm sure you fit into that catagory, but you are not playing by what this board was first intended.  It may seem stuffy to you, but it's all said tongue in cheek.  We were a group of people who wanted to keep all these personal jabs off of our board.  Administration gave us that chance, so please keep your personal comments about anyone, and everyone, away from here.  You can interpret what I say any way you wish, being careful is being watchful. At any rate, please be respectful.

Kathy S.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fleetfoot

Re: Be Respectful

'Respect: a universal language that is not always spoken or accepted, but it is an olive branch.  Unwarranted roughness will cause it to snap and wither.  Handle it with a gentle touch and it will flourish...'  - Fleetfoot, the Murmur

'Posted: Do not feed the Trolls, not even reindeer flattened fruitcake...Feeding of Trolls will result in gnome revolts, gremlin induced chaos, and other strangeness...' - Darkkin, the Tedious
Inspired Correspondent
Waggle1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KathyS wrote:

but keep it civil, and I would advise you not to threaten me.  I also like Paul very much, and what I said had nothing to do with him, personally, but what he allows on his board. 

One only has to read between the lines to see what you really think of Paul and his board. It's much TOO LATE to backtrack on that one.

And I have been niothing BUT civil to you, my dear.

The "threats" began on your end when you told me to "Be careful." You see, the statement begs the question, "Or what?"

So now you force my hand.

I must "be careful," or what? What will happen to me if I am "not careful?"

And I have not "threatened" you at all. What are you talking about?????????????? But I note that you "advise me not to" (threaten you).

You make me laugh. You really do.

Wait a minute.

Did you consider my talking about invading hordes from another forum coming here and just posting away until your little kingdom disappears a threat?

That's no threat. That's a fact. I have already PMed quite a few activist members and they, in turn, have contacted others.

Unless your attitude changes, we are ready to proceed. So lighten up or face the consequences. Again, no threat there. It's rather a warning to you to let you know what will happen here if you persist in your elitist fashion.

You don't own this forum, B&N does. And you're not a moderator either. Lighten up!

Who do you think you are?

I'm sure there are members here who are sick of your high-handed, look down your nose demeanor but are afraid to speak up.

Maybe this will give them the courage to let you know what they REALLY think of you.

You sound like a, "Let them eat cake," type to me.

Inspired Correspondent
Waggle1
0 Kudos

Fleetfoot wrote:

'Respect: a universal language that is not always spoken or accepted, but it is an olive branch.  Unwarranted roughness will cause it to snap and wither.  Handle it with a gentle touch and it will flourish...'  - Fleetfoot, the Murmur

Waggle1 wrote:

Please let me in the club azzkisser/Wannabe:  A perennial "outsider" who will do or say ANYTHING to gain acceptance in this forum, but will never really get it..." - Peenus, the Magnificent

____________________________________________________________________________________

Contributor
Ooooooyeah
0 Kudos

Love and kisses

To all those oppressed by the ruling class here:

Rise up and revolt.

Let your voices be heard.

Remove the foot of tyranny from your, er, backsides.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

S O S Kingdom of Wordsmithsonia !! I need your help !!

Your kingdom has some of the most learned and well-read. I need help on ancient history, 12th century England, medieval times. I'm very curious about this period but feel I don't know enough about it to discuss it intelligently on the B&N board. Seriously, I may not be alone in feeling this way, will you help, any suggestions?   :smileyhappy:

Peppermill

Re: S O S Kingdom of Wordsmithsonia !! I need your help !!

optic_i wrote:

Your kingdom has some of the most learned and well-read. I need help on ancient history, 12th century England, medieval times. I'm very curious about this period but feel I don't know enough about it to discuss it intelligently on the B&N board. Seriously, I may not be alone in feeling this way, will you help, any suggestions?   :smileyhappy:

Read, read, read, and then read some more!  Fiction, non-fiction, web sites, ....  Figure out what parts of medieval history have particular interest for you right now -- you can keep expanding or specializing as you go and as you learn.

See if your library has any of the Great Courses that focus on Medieval history and watch and/or listen to those of interest to you.  Or order one of their courses that appeals you if your budget allows the indulgence.  (Google "Great Courses."  Wait for a sale to get what you want.  It will usually come quickly.)

Go museum hopping and haunt the medieval sections.  Find a course or lecture in your area.

But, most of all, consider discussing it anyway if there is a discussion that interests you.  You probably can provide more than you are thinking right now, even if it is a perspective from what you are more comfortable expressing.  You can also do just enough wiki checking to increase your comfort if need be.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Outlaw  

The Pillars of the Earth 

Thank You Pepper. Right now I am reading two books from this time period. Outlaw, that was suggested by Debbie. I love this book, very well written. I will be joining the general fiction board for discussion. Also, I am reading Dooms Day Book that Basson mommy 12 highly recommended. I love this book for the same reason. I have also read Timeline a while back and really enjoyed the time travel premise. I also read  an oldie but goodie, After London, where the premise is reversed - the modern world regresses to feudalism after some unknown catastrophe. I have also acquired some Anglo Saxon books by Bernard Cornwell that I will read when I'm done with the ones I am reading now. I am a slow reader by comparison to most people on this board, I only read at night.  :smileyhappy:

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Kingdom of Wordsmithonia,  Thank you for the knowlege I have been seeking, from the good and wise Pepper . Now may path has been illuminated and I wish the Kingdom fairwell. :smileyhappy:

Darkkin

Re: Wings Spread in a Reckless Flight.

Wings spread wide in a reckless flight.  Heart in my throat, no breath left in my chest, I post this, hoping my Broken Bird will remember how to fly.

Broken Bird  

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'