Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: All are welcome

Ryan_G wrote:

Just to let everyone know, I floated Solarium, Glossary of Wordsmithonia, Who's Who of Wordsmithonia, and Welcome to Wordsmithonia to the top for all readers.  That way everyone will see those four threads at the top. 

For those of you who floated those threads for yourselves they may now show up twice.  All you need to do is unfloat them and they should show up at the top only once.  That's what worked for me so I would assume it would be the same for everyone else.

I'm still trying to figure out how to separate threads out, so once I do I will get started on that project as well.

Thanks, Ryan, for your work in these changes.  I appreciate you.  It doesn't make it any easier for you, or anyone, with the way B&N has left us with these board formattings, at the present time.  Un-floating, before, was just a click of the 'arrow', now it's opening up the thread, and manually telling it to float or un-float.  I wish they would hurry up and get these d**n changes over with.  I'd like to know what's taking these programmers so long.  This board is the only thing that is holding me here right now.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium

To everyone who is reading the story, The Missing Links.  I'm sorry I had to break that coded message into three posts.  The format wouldn't allow it in one.  Too many characters kept thwarting me!  I must have tried posting it seven times, changing it each time.  But no go.  I finally realized I had to break it up. 

Nuts-and sorry!  :smileyhappy:

Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

Solarium - Feed back

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that had some knowledge as to how to get this board moving;  Giving ideas as to what is needed, or wanted, to be done here.  At this time, I haven't been given the capacity to take charge of these threads, or at least navigate these threads into some kind of order.  If anyone wants this job, or to suggest something we could do, speak up or forever hold your peace.  We need a purpose, and that's not going to happen unless people are willing to participate.  I need a show of hands!  If no activity happens here, the board will be removed.  Please stay in this thread to comment to this, don't start a new one.

With the way all of these boards are set up now, from the main page view, with all showing, to the individual boards, and not knowing if these visual cosmetic and functional changes [which were promised],are going to happen any time soon, I am reluctant to participate any more than I already have. I am limiting my time on boards as I speak.  My interest in participating on B&N is waining.  Navigating around, without the amenities we once had, is tedious.  These physical changes by B&N need to come soon, if they're going to happen at all, which I'm beginning to doubt, because I'm really tired of not having functions and needed displays at may fingertips.  I don't find it fun anymore.  :smileysad:  I feel like we've taken two steps back in time.

Kathy

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - Feed back

Well I know Ryan was trying to separate the elements of the original thread. Personally been wondering if we should just do it the hard way.

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Well I know Ryan was trying to separate the elements of the original thread. Personally been wondering if we should just do it the hard way.

Nothing has been done at this time.  I was wondering about suggestions to organizing the board, as in New Message Subject Topic Headers.

Here's a few that Ryan and I thought about that already exist, and need organizing, or more to add.

Keep the Haiku contest.

Start new Contest topics

Castle renovations

Refugees living in realm

Problems, crimes, etc., that need attention, inside or outside the rhelm.

Any and all concerns....garden, kitchens, rooms, you name it!

The Garden parties.

The stories within the dungeon

New stories that anyone wants to start

Anyway, that's just a few thoughts along those lines.  It's a large job to undertake, and it can be done, or may be too overwhelming to break up that old thread. Or we may have to just leave it alone...I just don't know right now.  We'll have to see.  This is a busy time of year for everyone, and I know Ryan is extremely busy with work.  I'll do what I can.  I'd like everyone's thoughts on this subject, if I can get it, I'd appreciate it. 

We need to advertise the board, which I can do, or anyone for that matter,  to get people to recognize it,  but I don't feel comfortable in doing this until certain technical aspects [views] of the board's organization gets worked out first.  Once we get some ideas going, either Ryan or myself will try and get it set it up so we don't start losing threads, or participants in the process.  There has to be a logical rhyme and reason for this board to exist, and to encourage people to participate in it.  Do you all see what I'm saying? 

In the past it's been a heck of a lot of fun, but hard to keep organized.  People will loose interest in it fast.  I would also like to set up some topical discussion threads of our own, but kept in the time and place of our characters and kingdom.  Does that make sense?  If anyone wants to start a thread, I have no problem with that.  Start a new message with a subject title that reflects what you want to talk about, and try to stay on topic.  If you start to go off the topic, it would be great if you changed the subject line.  Until we get the wrinkles ironed out, you'll have to float the threads to the top yourself.

I'll get back to you all soon, I hope.

Kathy

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I was trying to figure out a way to seperate the posts in the old thread into new ones that made sense but I couldn't figure out how to do it, put them together, or rename the thread in a way that made sense.  Like Kathy said I'm swamped at work now for the next few weeks untilt he holiday is over.  I would love to keep the board but we do need out regulars to stay active and participating as well as get new ones on board. 

Like Kathy said I'm up for anything you guys would like to do.  We just need to throw some ideas out there and hash them out.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Google gives 203,000 hits on "Wordsmithonia"!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Most, of course, are related to Ryan's blog.  Maybe Ryan could also publicize this board a bit over there?  He has lots and lots of friends that read his blog!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
KathyS
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Most, of course, are related to Ryan's blog.  Maybe Ryan could also publicize this board a bit over there?  He has lots and lots of friends that read his blog!

Holy Mackerel!  Yeah, Ryan the noblest one, advertise your name sake!  :smileyvery-happy:

Dulci, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your father's passing.  I hope you and your family are doing okay?  Here is a big long distance hug.  {{{{{{ HUG }}}}}}}  Stay well!  If you need a break, take one and don't worry about it.  We all need time away, or time to ourselves.  It's more than understandable.

Love,

Kathy

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

You know, I never even thought about that before.  I must be tired and slow on the uptake.  Great idea.  I will have a post up by the end of next week.

Dulci, I'm sorry to hear of your father as well.  It's always hard to lose someone that close to you.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Love ya!

KathyS wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Holy Mackerel!  Yeah, Ryan the noblest one, advertise your name sake!  :smileyvery-happy:

Dulci, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your father's passing.  I hope you and your family are doing okay?  Here is a big long distance hug.  {{{{{{ HUG }}}}}}}  Stay well!  If you need a break, take one and don't worry about it.  We all need time away, or time to ourselves.  It's more than understandable.

Love,

Kathy

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

First off I want to send my regards to Dulcinea.  ***Hugs***  I am soooo sorry to hear of you fathers passing.  I do hope you are all doing well.  My heart goes out to you and your family.

I do like the idea of the haiku poems, even though I am not very good at it.  If we keep that thread I think it would be nice.  I wonder if this idea will help pull people from the writing board?  I like it as it will make me keep writing too.  They may not be very good writings but it is fun for me.

I know there was mention of how to make the realm a little more known to the readers.  Please don't get upset with me, but is B&N going to give Wordsmithonia an avatar or a header picture?  It may make us feel a little more homely.  What if we do a search for a picture could we do that ourselves?

I am trying to think of ideas to help with the board here.  I am just not sure...  I know this time of year is a hard time as well.

I will try my best to help what I can.

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dulcinea - I'm so sorry to hear about your father. That would be hard at any time of year, but it must be even more wrenching because it happened over the holidays.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words.  It's been just over a month and it's still tough, but life goes on.  I have to admit that I didn't feel much to give thanks for on Thanksgiving (my mother's best friend had us over for dinner).  My mother is mentally and emotionally exhausted, and is leaving tomorrow to spend a few months in Florida with my brother and his family, so hopefully it will do her some good and she can have a nice restful time.  One good thing is that over the summer we celebrated my parents' 60th anniversary, so at least he had a happy milestone celebration recently!

Unfortunately, one side effect is that I really haven't felt like reading at all lately!  Of course, there has been a lot to do, and now with wrapping presents, writing Christmas cards, etc.  Hopefully I'll get back into reading mode soon!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
KathyS
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words.  It's been just over a month and it's still tough, but life goes on.  I have to admit that I didn't feel much to give thanks for on Thanksgiving (my mother's best friend had us over for dinner).  My mother is mentally and emotionally exhausted, and is leaving tomorrow to spend a few months in Florida with my brother and his family, so hopefully it will do her some good and she can have a nice restful time.  One good thing is that over the summer we celebrated my parents' 60th anniversary, so at least he had a happy milestone celebration recently!

Unfortunately, one side effect is that I really haven't felt like reading at all lately!  Of course, there has been a lot to do, and now with wrapping presents, writing Christmas cards, etc.  Hopefully I'll get back into reading mode soon!

Dulci, good family memories are wonderful, hold on to them.   More will be created in time, but even though they can't take the place of the old ones, which they shouldn't do, the new ones can help fill up those wide spaces that a lost loved one has left in our hearts.  Do what you need to do for yourself.  Participate as much as you would like, if you feel it does you good.  If it becomes stressful for you, please don't feel obligated. 

I know what you mean about reading, I've gone through those same feelings.  Your love will return, I'll guarantee it.  So many emotional feelings take time to work through.  But you'll get there, just don't push yourself.  Know we're here if you need to talk.  That's what this solarium is for, for yours and everyone's comfort.  Be well.

Kathy

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

(Big Hug) It's all I can think to do.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I'm so sorry Dulci- {{{{{{{{{{extra big hugs from me}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Dulcinea, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Thanks, everyone.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Hear my lamentation and wail! 

C has left us, for "good reads"!

(depressed sigh)

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Who has left us?