Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - Feed back

Ok I know I may be acting melodramatic but, tired of yet another one of my buds leaving the party. If you know what I mean.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - Feed back

Choisya leaving does make me a little sade :smileysad:

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - Soapbox

No, Tigger, you're not being melodramatic.  I know exactly how you're feeling.  I don't want to see her, or anyone else. leave, but they are going fast. Out with the old, and in with the new, seems to be the B&N motto these days!

I just now got a PM from her, and she, herself is sad at this situation.  Getting these changes, yearly to B&NBC, have worn both of us out.  We give our advise, and it seems, now, by the post of Jon's, that they want feedback by way of a webcam conference.  I won't do it, because I've given and given my advise to positive changes.  I won't give anymore.  All knowing, they've gotten too big for their pants. 

These book discussions have simply been invaded with every known nut case I've had the mis-pleasure of encountering, since these changes.  And I, myself, have slipped into that category of misspeaking.  I don't like how I've become on these boards. 

Book discussions, and intelligent discussions of many kinds, have been Choisya's passion.  She's a very intelligent and knowledgeable lady, and when these discussions digress the way they have, where moderators and Admins. turn into teenagers who show disrespect to posters, as well.

And these changes have caused nothing but complaints from those of us who have been around for years - we see the changes have not been a positive thing, only to find oneself in a mess with the whole of B&N, as an advertising medium - that's when it's goes far beyond what it used to be, as a separate reading forum, for good discussions. 

That's my honest feelings in all of these changes.  I'm never opposed to changes, but not the kind of changes that cause nothing but complaints, and digression.  It's one thing to create cosmetic changes, and another to create free-for-all forums.  Keeping them separate has not happened, everyone overlaps and invades, newbies popping in and out and not caring who they hurt in the process, which can mess up a good discussion faster than the plague.  I've seen it happen time after time, and that's one of the reasons I don't participate much in a book discussion, or even care much about good intellectual discussions.  It's not fun getting slammed.  I put up with a poster for two years, coming after me, and it took those two years for me to prove that it was happening.  It can be very subtle, unless it's happening to you.

I'm no longer participating on Ilana's blog.  Blogs, for the most part are ridiculous.  They're not real discussion forums.  Just a place for people to drop one liners, or for advertising a book. Turning Ilana's discussion board into a blog was the worst thing they could have done, except maybe for Ilana, where she doesn't like to participate in discussions anyway.  She doesn't have the time, or the inclination.

And finding good intellectual people to participate is near impossible.  As I said in my last post on her blog, I deliberately set myself up as a lab rat, or guine pig, so people can actually see how their minds work under the conditions Ilana sets down in her essays.  Ilana is interested in the psychology, what happens underneath what is known.  Her metaphors are constant, and speak volumes, but finding people out there that can relate, or express their feelings in those psychological battles, is near impossible, so that's why I put myself out there.  I take the risk, in my vulnerability, to get attacked, which happened this week.  It's a de-humanizing feeling to have this happen, and I won't put myself back in that position, again.  If anyone wants to disprove what I say, that's one thing, but not to be attacked for showing that vulnerable side.  TiggerBear was the only one to step into that, whether she approved of what I was doing, or not.  Thank you TiggerBear, you're a good friend.  I knew Ilana wouldn't speak to that situation.

The rules have been broken so many times by these Admins and Mods, no rules of order exist any longer.  And if there are rules, they are ignored time and again.  Smart mouthed people, including myself, were never tolerated at one time, now it's a free for all, for anyone to say anything they feel like saying.  Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, but not where it's constantly abused, as it has been in these reading and discussion forums.  If you give me an inch, I'll take a mile, and I'm as guilty as the next person.  There is no such thing as "abuse" any longer.  Who do you report abuse to, if an Administrator takes sides?  No way to enforce it.  I watched it happen on the Current Events Board.  I got slammed on that board, too.  I've watched this decline since the beginning of these boards, I hold the Administrators of B&N responsible for this situation.  They don't seem to realize that they need to get their act together, BEFORE, they keep making changes, and realize the outcomes, BEFORE, it turns into a big dung heap. 

My time on these boards is now limited.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

(sigh) (big sigh)

Well I did agree to the conference, we'll see how it goes.

The boat may have sprung a leak, but I don't think a trip to dry dock for repairs is beyond capable.

Yes I was considering requesting the board overseers send a blanket PM to all less than 3 month users on acceptable behavior. Sadly less than 40% seem to know basic online group behavior modification. It's not an age thing either well at least not a youth thing. I've encountered better manners from the young new posters than the one's in my age group. (shaking head)

It's definate that the mods who take a hands off aproach have the most abuse in their sections. You'd think the powers that be would notice.

Does anyone else ever feel Ilana mainly uses her blog as a group experiament and we're the unpaid subjects? Knew she wouldn't do a d*mn thing. That was a heads up both to her and the jerk.  And Kathy it had nothing at all to do with whether or not I agreed with you (I got what you were doing and didn't mind a bit), it never should. It was as I said, just basic common decency.

(sigh) Just still not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water. (shrug)

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

(sigh) (big sigh)

Well I did agree to the conference, we'll see how it goes.

The boat may have sprung a leak, but I don't think a trip to dry dock for repairs is beyond capable.

Yes I was considering requesting the board overseers send a blanket PM to all less than 3 month users on acceptable behavior. Sadly less than 40% seem to know basic online group behavior modification. It's not an age thing either well at least not a youth thing. I've encountered better manners from the young new posters than the one's in my age group. (shaking head)

It's definite that the mods who take a hands off approach have the most abuse in their sections. You'd think the powers that be would notice.

Does anyone else ever feel Ilana mainly uses her blog as a group experiment and we're the unpaid subjects? Knew she wouldn't do a d*mn thing. That was a heads up both to her and the jerk.  And Kathy it had nothing at all to do with whether or not I agreed with you (I got what you were doing and didn't mind a bit), it never should. It was as I said, just basic common decency.

(sigh) Just still not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water. (shrug)

Tigger, yesterday I was feeling very angry, sad, and discouraged, and I know what I said showed it.  I hope to hear what was discussed at this meeting.  I'll send you a private note about the rest of this.  And yes, I used the word "teenagers" derogatorily, and I'm sorry.  Respect comes when learned, and maturity can come at any age.  I was just thinking, yesterday, of the emotional, mouthy individual who hasn't learned it yet, and lumped everyone into the "teens", the mouthy age.  I appologize to the teens out there.

There is always hope, at least I hope so....I'm just worn-out, and tired of shedding tears, at the moment.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Well I've had time to process the meeting, so my surface thoughts

The new as in most likely within the month changes will be largely cosmetic. What I saw please realize are subject to change. And I don't think these are "trade secrets" either. But if they are mod, please delete this post. I'm only trying to belay suspicions and bring comfort to friends.

All those font and spacing issues have been removed.

Remember all those header images that got dumped with this version, they'll be back.

The personal mottoes people use will be easier to distinguish from the post itself.

Quoting a earlier post, they've made it easier to tell which is which.

They added color, nicely subtle but very visable in my opinion.

They most likely FINALLY notice that when someone posts to an old blog, finding that post is nearly impossible.

They may be working on a solution. Got a we'll look into that.

The breaking Sign In and Add Product is expected to be more stable. The page load lag at least in the demo appeared gone.

Basically all those technical things we've been b*tching about got really worked on. Not for this version but for the next.

Looks like someone was listening.:smileytongue:

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium

Thanks, Tigger....so, basically, nothing new was brought up, or discussed.
TiggerBear wrote:

Well I've had time to process the meeting, so my surface thoughts

The new as in most likely within the month changes will be largely cosmetic. What I saw please realize are subject to change. And I don't think these are "trade secrets" either. But if they are mod, please delete this post. I'm only trying to belay suspicions and bring comfort to friends.

All those font and spacing issues have been removed.

Remember all those header images that got dumped with this version, they'll be back.

The personal mottoes people use will be easier to distinguish from the post itself.

Quoting a earlier post, they've made it easier to tell which is which.

They added color, nicely subtle but very visable in my opinion.

They most likely FINALLY notice that when someone posts to an old blog, finding that post is nearly impossible.

They may be working on a solution. Got a we'll look into that.

The breaking Sign In and Add Product is expected to be more stable. The page load lag at least in the demo appeared gone.

Basically all those technical things we've been b*tching about got really worked on. Not for this version but for the next.

Looks like someone was listening.:smileytongue:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

new bit perhaps

a somebit  - quick post .. a post with non of the adds, quote, or pretty wildeals. Just a fast word post only will be available   IF it makes into

the other bit that got talking about got talked around with no real answers so... (shrug)

But at least the stuff we burgered about the most got covered so..

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

new bit perhaps

a somebit  - quick post .. a post with none of the adds, quote, or pretty wildeals. Just a fast word post only will be available   IF it makes into the other bit that got talking about got talked around with no real answers so... (shrug)

But at least the stuff we burgered about the most got covered so..

Good.  I'm glad to hear this.  I'm still not sure why they needed to have a conference call about all of this.  Just reading our complaints over the last five months, (4 years) should have told them the same things.  They can just as easily talk "around" our questions, here on the boards, as they always do.  It sounds as redundant, and non productive as their postings.  If they want a serious discussion about any of these things, all they needed to do was create a thread with each and every concern that has been brought up, then let respondents address them. (which should have been done BEFORE they entered into their changes)  But, of course, that would take organization, and forethought.... and I'm sure they are now too busy fielding complaints in the e-book department.

As you can see, I'm still cynical over this whole mess, and I'll probably stay that way until they actually do something constructive with these boards.   Now, if they can fit this format into my new 20" monitor,  so the whole page fits, and not have the right side 'still' cut off, that would be nice, too.  I went from a 16" to 20", and it didn't help one bit.  That's my major bit*ch now.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Good.  I'm glad to hear this.  I'm still not sure why they needed to have a conference call about all of this.  Just reading our complaints over the last five months, (4 years) should have told them the same things.

The purpose of the call was to physically show the functionality of the new design to some users and moderators and get feedback based on what they saw.   The new design specifically addresses many of the complaints that you and others have made, however due to the nature of the working site there was no way to demonstrate it within a post, hence the web conference.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Good.  I'm glad to hear this.  I'm still not sure why they needed to have a conference call about all of this.  Just reading our complaints over the last five months, (4 years) should have told them the same things.

The purpose of the call was to physically show the functionality of the new design to some users and moderators and get feedback based on what they saw.   The new design specifically addresses many of the complaints that you and others have made, however due to the nature of the working site there was no way to demonstrate it within a post, hence the web conference.

Thank you, Jon. I hope the feedback was constructive and positive.  And we'll see them soon.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Jon_B wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Thank you, Jon. I hope the feedback was constructive and positive.  And we'll see them soon.

It was rather interesting to boot.

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Jon_B wrote:

KathyS wrote:

It was rather interesting to boot.

In what way?  Can you tell me?  Also,  I'm not familiar with the set-up of the call.  I thought, with dial-up, I wouldn't be able to participate, and I don't have a webcam.  It wasn't explained in the invitation.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

In what way?  Can you tell me?  Also,  I'm not familiar with the set-up of the call.  I thought, with dial-up, I wouldn't be able to participate, and I don't have a webcam.  It wasn't explained in the invitation.

Well it was log on to this site, call this number at same time deal. I've got broadband so it was easy once I got the codes straight. Only problem was the first code I was sent were wrong so I was a bit late (I missed 10 mins) to the tele bit, though I could see what was happening. It played like watch, talk, get host to move the site this way, talk, listen, talk, watch, and so...

It for me was intesting and fun. I liked looking into the comming up. The talking was a bit weird since it was a tech, 5 mods, me and one or 2 other users who didn't not say anything I heard. But well, now I know what Becke, Paul, and Mel sound like.

It was nice to see evident that they were listening to us.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Unfortunately it was done at too late notice and we couldn't get as many users as I'd have liked because it was the middle of the afternoon on a weekday and most users are at work and can't easily participate in this kind of thing.  I'm going to try to put together another round at some point in the next few weeks at a more convenient time, probably on a weekend.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

Unfortunately it was done at too late notice and we couldn't get as many users as I'd have liked because it was the middle of the afternoon on a weekday and most users are at work and can't easily participate in this kind of thing.  I'm going to try to put together another round at some point in the next few weeks at a more convenient time, probably on a weekend.

Jon, I would like to participate in the next go round.  I do still have dial-up, but I have a cell phone. That is, if you want me. Right now, I just want to help in any way I can.  

Kathy

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I would like to participate next time as well, since I had to work when I got the last invitation.  I have to just so I know what everyone sounds like since Tigger does now :smileyhappy:

KathyS
0 Kudos

Solarium - What are you reading these days?

It's the Winter Festival, here in the Kingdom, and the guests who have arrived early are outside playing in the snow, so I thought I'd take this time to curl up before the fire, munch on a scone with a cup of Earl Grey tea, and find a good book to read.   

Tell us about yourself, what you're reading, or would like to read, or have read!  Talk about it here!

At this time I am rereading The Promised World by Lisa Tucker.  The discussion for this novel will be on The General Fiction Board, in March.  Lisa Tucker will be with us to talk about her book, or anything else we would like to discuss with her.  She's open for all conversations. Lisa is super nice, I've had the pleasure of meeting her several times in past discussions with Stephanie, the moderator.... Lisa is an exceptionally gifted writer, and I would recommend any one of her books to read.  Come join us!

The Promised World 

And soon to be released, for the First Look Club, The Poacher's Son by Paul Doiron.  I've already started reading this mystery novel, and I'm looking forward to meeting Paul, a new author, and the discussion with everyone on the FLC board.

The Poacher's Son  

I'm taking notes as I read, as I always do, but this time it will be my first endeavor at discussing two books at once!  I may need to have my head examined after this is over!!

Happy Reading!

Queen Mother

Kathy S.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - What are you reading these days?

I'm finishing up The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins and am getting ready to read The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie.

The Moonstone (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

Seven Dials Mystery 

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - What are you reading these days?

The Olympics being on until midnight most nights are usurping my reading time, but I recently finished Alice in Wonderland, and Through the Looking Glass (for the Classics club).  Fun to reread these childhood classics!  I had a small role in a play of Alice in Wonderland in high school.  If nothing intervenes in the clubs, I expect my next read will be

The Tale of Briar Bank (Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter Series #5) 

These are really fun and enchanting mysteries.  I have always loved Beatrix Potter's books, and Wittig Albert includes biographical notes at the end, telling what was going on in Potter's life at the time period of the novel, and there are references in the novel to whatever book she is writing at the time.  The last one I read also had Jemima Puddleduck living in Beatrix' barn.

Ryan, you are about to read my favorite Christie!  I can't wait to hear what you think of it!  If you like Tuppence, you should also enjoy Bundle!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia