Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - What are you reading these days?

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm trying to finish The Moonstone first though I keep getting distracted by the Olympics myself. 


dulcinea3 wrote:

The Olympics being on until midnight most nights are usurping my reading time, but I recently finished Alice in Wonderland, and Through the Looking Glass (for the Classics club).  Fun to reread these childhood classics!  I had a small role in a play of Alice in Wonderland in high school.  If nothing intervenes in the clubs, I expect my next read will be

 

The Tale of Briar Bank (Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter Series #5) 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

These are really fun and enchanting mysteries.  I have always loved Beatrix Potter's books, and Wittig Albert includes biographical notes at the end, telling what was going on in Potter's life at the time period of the novel, and there are references in the novel to whatever book she is writing at the time.  The last one I read also had Jemima Puddleduck living in Beatrix' barn.

 

Ryan, you are about to read my favorite Christie!  I can't wait to hear what you think of it!  If you like Tuppence, you should also enjoy Bundle!

 


 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - What are you reading these days?

I have The Moonstone, too, and I started reading it some years ago, but never finished it.  I can't remember why not.  It seems like the kind of book that I would love, but maybe it just didn't hold my attention.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - What are you reading these days?

Just a query my Queen, since we've been castle cleaning a bit. Did you ever figure out how to float threads to the top? Because I think our glossary needs to be up there for visitors to easily see.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Solarium - moving threads


TiggerBear wrote:

Just a query my Queen, since we've been castle cleaning a bit. Did you ever figure out how to float threads to the top? Because I think our glossary needs to be up there for visitors to easily see.

 


 

Hi, TiggerBear.  Thanks for saying something about this. I hadn't realized you couldn't see that thread.

 

This is a little hard to explain...When Ryan had the ability to float these threads for us, it was after I had already floated them, for myself, like you have the same ability to do it for yourself.  And then, for some reason I couldn't un-float the ones I had put up.  I saw these threads up there in two places.

 

After I got the ability to  "float for all users", I could take one of those duplicate threads off, thinking you guys could see the one that remained.  I didn't realize you couldn't see  them at all, the glossary, and the Wordsmithonia thread, which I just now re-floated up, too.  And, again, for some crazy reason I see them up there twice..and I can't get rid of the duplicate.  I'm going to have to ask Jon about this.  Now that I've probably thoroughly confused you, Ha!..... Can you see them, now?  There have been quite a few I floated up.  I'm going to remove the Winter Festival, I think, now that it's over.  Let me know if you see anything else that is askew. 

 

Thanks,

Kathy

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads

Kathy I don't see any duplication on the floated threads.  You've got the top few color highlighted and then below the threads as they are frequently posted. No repeats visable to me.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads


TiggerBear wrote:

Kathy I don't see any duplication on the floated threads.  You've got the top few color highlighted and then below the threads as they are frequently posted. No repeats visible to me.


 

I have floated 11 threads, which should be in the highlighted area.  That's what you should be seeing right now, and that includes the winter festival thread, which I haven't removed yet.  Is this the total that you see?

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads

Yes 11 up top.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads

Hi Kathy - the threads aren't really duplicated so much as displayed twice.  Once in the floated area and once in the normal area, but it's still the same thread.  The reason for this is so that the floated thread is still visible on the first page even if it's drifted several pages back in the forum.  It doesn't really make as much sense in a forum like this which doesn't have very many threads - you probably don't need to float that many since they are all on the first page anyway. 

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads

Hi, Jon...thanks for coming to the board.  Let me see if I can explain this.  TiggerBear just confirmed that she sees 11 threads floated to the top/highlighted area.  I see 13.  The Glossary, and the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia are, as you say, displayed twice, in two different sections of that highlighted area.  I'm not talking about seeing it below the highlighted area, because in my view, I can't see those threads that have been around for a long time.  They get shoved to the back/bottom, old history, and pages away from my view.

 

Because I float these threads for all users is because I view these boards in the threaded view.  To have these threads displayed,  It simplifies hunting for a thread/post, for the threaded viewer, or anyone else.

 

Having to page around these boards to find where that post is coming from, is too time consuming for someone in my board view.  Being highlighted, you can go directly to that thread of conversation. 

 

 I know most people use the linear view, because it's the default.  These views are so totally different, I have had difficulty in explaining why I need posts to be brought up into the highlighted area.  I suggested this to Paul, in the FL club, but he doesn't SEE the reason for this.  In my threaded view, these threads get lost on several pages, and paging through all of those posts and threads, either here, or on those boards which have a ton of posters, it's not obvious to anyone except those of us who prefer the threaded view. 

 

Linear just requires you to scroll down through the posts to read them, but I don't like that way, because people are always posting out of context, and you don't know who these people are talking to, and their posts get put into a non conversational place on the boards, and it's a necessity for these people to quote the person they are talking to, to understand what they are saying, at times.  But I can't change that.  I live with it.

 

Anyway, I won't go into all the reasons why I prefer the threaded view, I've tried before, and it's useless.  It's just the version I've always used from day one on B&NU.  It was always an easy conversation to follow.  You knew exactly who that poster was, and who they were speaking to, just by the fact that they clicked on the post they wanted to talk about, or the person they wanted to talk to, and their reply always showed up under that other person's post.  You never had to use "quote post"....you just saw, and knew.  Plus, you changed the subject line, so you knew what that post was about.  People, now, never see the necessity to change that topic line...it drives me nuts.  It's like a run-on sentence that doesn't make sense.

 

I'm getting off the topic, here.  I'm sorry.   I'm just wondering how to get rid of those two extra threads in my highlighted area.  Or, do I live with them?

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Solarium - Jon, p.s. - lost laurels

Oh, I mentioned to Paul that TiggerBear and I had lost a lot of laurels recently, and TiggerBear put two and two together, and found that because the Garden Board was removed, so were our laurels removed from our total count. Paul didn't address this situation, when he transferred one of the garden boards thread, here.

 

But I see, with the transfer of one of Becke's threads, to this board, I got back 22 of the 62 laurels that I had lost.  I'm not sure of the count that TiggerBear lost.  But, it does have to do with the demise of Becke's board.

 

The world isn't going to come to an end if we don't get these laurels back, I was just wondering if it was possible.  It's nice to get them, even if we don't know who gives them to us anymore, without retracing the dozens of past post you've made.

 

Thanks so much, Jon.  I hope I haven't innundated you with too much.  I know you guys are busy with a lot of things on these boards, and our situation is just a drop in the bucket!  And I'm not really sure who to talk to these days, with all the changes going on in the Admin. department.

 

Be well,

 

Kathy

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads

[ Edited ]

I'll break it down like this. People use deferential ways to see the post. Some like Kathy use threaded. Some of us like linear. For me it's just the way I see every other web page and I'm used to it.

 

With liner if a thread goes beyond the how many is it 25, 30, or so threads; it goes to page 2 or further. ANY newbie NEVER sees anything beyond page 1.

 

Over in paranormal; me, Derek, and Paul are the only ones willing to go past page 3 to find an old thread. Most just make a new one; easier and faster. But for me that just make a board thick, crazy, and chaos. (shrug) So for the threads that are well important for a newbie to see and understand the board, they NEED to be floated to the top so they ALWAYS stay on page one. Even if no new posts go there for 6 months. Sure you can *bump* them up. Floating is just nicer to see, you know.

 

 

Oh and Kathy I think the doubling is because you use threading view.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - Jon, p.s. - lost laurels

 


KathyS wrote:

Oh, I mentioned to Paul that TiggerBear and I had lost a lot of laurels recently, and TiggerBear put two and two together, and found that because the Garden Board was removed, so were our laurels removed from our total count. Paul didn't address this situation, when he transferred one of the garden boards thread, here.

 

But I see, with the transfer of one of Becke's threads, to this board, I got back 22 of the 62 laurels that I had lost.  I'm not sure of the count that TiggerBear lost.  But, it does have to do with the demise of Becke's board.

 

The world isn't going to come to an end if we don't get these laurels back, I was just wondering if it was possible.  It's nice to get them, even if we don't know who gives them to us anymore, without retracing the dozens of past post you've made.

 

Thanks so much, Jon.  I hope I haven't innundated you with too much.  I know you guys are busy with a lot of things on these boards, and our situation is just a drop in the bucket!  And I'm not really sure who to talk to these days, with all the changes going on in the Admin. department.

 

Be well,

 

Kathy


 

Yeah Kathy the ones you got back were because that thread came over here and the larrels in that thread went back to you count. Aparently if a thread goes, so goes the larrel within it.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads


TiggerBear wrote:

I'll break it down like this. People use deferential ways to see the post. Some like Kathy use threaded. Some of us like linear. For me it's just the way I see every other web page and I'm used to it.

 

With liner if a thread goes beyond the how many is it 25, 30, or so threads; it goes to page 2 or further. ANY newbie NEVER sees anything beyond page 1.

 

Over in paranormal; me, Derek, and Paul are the only ones willing to go past page 3 to find an old thread. Most just make a new one; easier and faster. But for me that just make a board thick, crazy, and chaos. (shrug) So for the threads that are well important for a newbie to see and understand the board, they NEED to be floated to the top so they ALWAYS stay on page one. Even if no new posts go there for 6 months. Sure you can *bump* them up. Floating is just nicer to see, you know.

 

 

Oh and Kathy I think the doubling is because you use threading view.

 


 

Good explanation on how these boards are.  I don't think the doubling of those threads has anything to do with my view.  I've always had this view, and I've never had this happen until Ryan got the ability to float those up.  That's when I saw two, after I previsouly floated them up myself.  Who knows, I just can't get rid of them, without getting rid of the other one, too.  Then you don't see any, but I see one of each. 

 

It's all a blur at the moment, and I'm also a bit frustrated at (my discussion on the Fiction board just went to H*** in a hand basket!  And I just got started in it)..... But, who am I going to complain to?  Geeze, I'm the only one on that stupid discussion...besides Stephanie, the moderator.  Back to my taking over.  Hogging the boards.  It never fails.  I take myself off of Ilana's blog, because it looks like I'm the only one who has anything to say....and here we go again.  You might as well just slide a soap box under my feet, and give me a mike!

 

Does anyone on these boards know how to discuss a book?  Let me know?  I can't seem to win at blogs, and I can't seem to win in a book discussion.   I can't draw people to this board.... I only win if I flit around from board to board and drop little turds on them.....then run like H****

 

...you're right, TB,  there is more chaos on these boards than carter has pills, that's why I've always been a stickler in keeping the ones I'm on, neat.  At least for myself, anyway.   But if nobody wants to pay any attention to what I'm (we're) saying....so goes the war.... when you go from blogs and the format in (the linear views)  book discussions, to free wheeling free-for-all-talking, I dont know how I'm supposed to act anymore! 

 

I'm going to turn this computer off, now...fix something to eat....and watch mindless TV!  And maybe tomorrow the good fairy will wave her magic wand and everything will be right with the world!

nite-nite,

Kathy

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads

[ Edited ]

Hi Kathy,

 

In addition to floating threads for all users, it's also possible to float threads only for you - that is, threads will always appear in the floated section when you look at the board but it doesn't affect the view of any other user.  This might be why you see 2 more floated threads than everyone else (I also see 11).

 

To check this, view this board while logged out, and compare it with what you see while logged in.  If you only see the two extra floated threads while logged in, that's probably what happened.  You can change which threads are floated for you in the thread options menu.

 

Hope that helps

 

Jon

 

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads

[ Edited ]

Jon_B wrote:

Hi Kathy,

 

In addition to floating threads for all users, it's also possible to float threads only for you - that is, threads will always appear in the floated section when you look at the board but it doesn't affect the view of any other user.  This might be why you see 2 more floated threads than everyone else (I also see 11).

 

To check this, view this board while logged out, and compare it with what you see while logged in.  If you only see the two extra floated threads while logged in, that's probably what happened.  You can change which threads are floated for you in the thread options menu.

 

Hope that helps

 

Jon

 


Jon, yes, I know all of this.  And yes, when I am logged out, it only shows the two.

 

In my now existing Options, I can only remove those two threads as:  ALL USERS.  I can't remove them any longer as if I had floated them up just for me to see.  I tried to explain this, it all happened when Ryan floated them to all users, and I had already had them floated up....but when I received these new options, there was no option for me to personally remove the ones I had already put there for myself.  Does that make sense?  They're stuck there, in my view. 

 

I tried to copy and paste to you what I see in that option box,  but the program wouldn't let me delete most of the whole page, and it exceeded the number of characters. 

 

What my option shows me, is that I can personally float a thread/message, at this time on this board, when I click on either of those two threads.  Not a personal function to remove them.

 

There may be a way to get rid of them, but you would have to take away my new options, just long enough for me to remove those two threads, and then give me the new options back.  I honestly don't know if that would work, but that's the only thing I can think of.  Maybe the glitch is, having two people on the same board with the same options?

 

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads

When you open the Thread Options menu, what do you see directly above the line "Add This Thread to My Bookmarks?"

 

 

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads

 


KathyS wrote:

 

It's all a blur at the moment, and I'm also a bit frustrated at (my discussion on the Fiction board just went to H*** in a hand basket!  And I just got started in it)..... But, who am I going to complain to?  Geeze, I'm the only one on that stupid discussion...besides Stephanie, the moderator.  Back to my taking over.  Hogging the boards.  It never fails.  I take myself off of Ilana's blog, because it looks like I'm the only one who has anything to say....and here we go again.  You might as well just slide a soap box under my feet, and give me a mike!

 

Does anyone on these boards know how to discuss a book?  Let me know?  I can't seem to win at blogs, and I can't seem to win in a book discussion.   I can't draw people to this board.... I only win if I flit around from board to board and drop little turds on them.....then run like H****

 

.


 

 

Kathy might I recommend you join this discussion.

Vigorous, reasonably ordered, good author and moderator participation, friendly group, serious book....
Can I tempt you a little? Take a look.:smileywink:
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads

[ Edited ]

TiggerBear wrote:

 

Kathy might I recommend you join this discussion.
Vigorous, reasonably ordered, good author and moderator participation, friendly group, serious book....
Can I tempt you a little? Take a look.:smileywink:

 

Thanks so much for the invite....  :smileyhappy:  But......

I'm forbidden to enter this discussion.  Is this PGA's science fiction board?  He must have locked it down to outsiders.  Or else word has gotten around the boards that I'm a hair ball! 

 

I couldn't sleep last night because of my thoughts about these boards, and my participation in them.  I'll work it out eventually.  I'm taking things into my own hands, on the fiction board.  It's getting old, letting other people run me in circles, circles that aren't necessary.  All I wanted to do was have a good discussion with people about Lisa Tucker's book, The Promised World, and say hi to Lisa Tucker...she already knows my feelings about her book,  as I wrote her a letter last fall as soon as I finished it. 

 

All By Myself is my new theme song!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads


KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

 

Kathy might I recommend you join this discussion.
Vigorous, reasonably ordered, good author and moderator participation, friendly group, serious book....
Can I tempt you a little? Take a look.:smileywink:

 

Thanks so much for the invite....  :smileyhappy:  But......

I'm forbidden to enter this discussion.  Is this PGA's science fiction board?  He must have locked it down to outsiders.  Or else word has gotten around the boards that I'm a hair ball! 

 

I couldn't sleep last night because of my thoughts about these boards, and my participation in them.  I'll work it out eventually.  I'm taking things into my own hands, on the fiction board.  It's getting old, letting other people run me in circles, circles that aren't necessary.  All I wanted to do was have a good discussion with people, and say hi to Lisa Tucker...Although, she already knows my feelings about it, I wrote her a letter last fall as soon as I finished it. 

 

All By Myself is my new theme song!


What tha? Blocked from a open thread?! Not a firstlook or sneak peak, so.. something wrong. Try navigating to SCI/FI and scrolling down to the discussion. Maybe the link I copied is screwy. Weird. :smileysad:  Yes it's Paul's and it's a monthy feature open to all commers.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads


TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

 

Kathy might I recommend you join this discussion.
Vigorous, reasonably ordered, good author and moderator participation, friendly group, serious book....
Can I tempt you a little? Take a look.:smileywink:

 

Thanks so much for the invite....  :smileyhappy:  But......

I'm forbidden to enter this discussion.  Is this PGA's science fiction board?  He must have locked it down to outsiders.  Or else word has gotten around the boards that I'm a hair ball! 

 

I couldn't sleep last night because of my thoughts about these boards, and my participation in them.  I'll work it out eventually.  I'm taking things into my own hands, on the fiction board.  It's getting old, letting other people run me in circles, circles that aren't necessary.  All I wanted to do was have a good discussion with people, and say hi to Lisa Tucker...Although, she already knows my feelings about it, I wrote her a letter last fall as soon as I finished it. 

 

All By Myself is my new theme song!


What tha? Blocked from a open thread?! Not a firstlook or sneak peak, so.. something wrong. Try navigating to SCI/FI and scrolling down to the discussion. Maybe the link I copied is screwy. Weird. :smileysad:  Yes it's Paul's and it's a monthy feature open to all comers.

Yeah, it was a screwy link.  I'm honestly not that into science fiction, or I'd jump in there in a heart beat.  I really like PaulGA, he's a sweetheart.  I see that's where all our Kingdom participants landed!  I was wondering where they all went to.  Oh, well....thanks for asking me, anyway, TB.  I appreciate it.