Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - moving threads

KathyS wrote:

Yeah, it was a screwy link.  I'm honestly not that into science fiction, or I'd jump in there in a heart beat.  I really like PaulGA, he's a sweetheart.  I see that's where all our Kingdom participants landed!  I was wondering where they all went to.  Oh, well....thanks for asking me, anyway, TB.  I appreciate it.

Ok my last attempt at hustling a fantasy book that I really think you will like. I promise.

This is Nadine's post, has the author blog link with the ability to read chap 1 for free.

We have some really good discussions in SCI/FI, I just keep thinking if I could find one you liked then.. And I so think this is right up your alley, so....

Last try, I did promise.

This is N K Jamisin"s blog and she has posted the first three chapters of her book, One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. I have ordered it but it may be awhile before it gets to me so this allows me the get a bit of a head start. I found this because I was curious as to when the second book in the trilogy might come out. Well, I haven't found out but she is working on the third book right now! I love these new writers. They don't make you wait forever for the next installment.

Read her blog. I enjoyed it. She is really funny and oiginal. I particularly liked her promotional ideas and her take on ancient mythology.

Ah, I found it. The second book in the trilogy will be out in Fall of 2010 and is called The Broken Kingdoms.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium -Sci Fi books

That's okay, TiggerBear, you can keep trying!  Ha!  I don't think you've actually tried to get me to read one, before now.  I did read Boneshaker, which Paul suggested...yuck... :smileyvery-happy:  I'll give this one a try...at least I won't be out the cost of a book, like I was with Paul's suggestion....I think reading a chapter should give me a good view of what it's like. (unless it's a short chapter!)  When I was looking over the thread for this book, I saw what the author had to say...about myth.  I guess if anyone knows my taste, it's you!  We shall see!
TiggerBear wrote:

Ok my last attempt at hustling a fantasy book that I really think you will like. I promise.

This is Nadine's post, has the author blog link with the ability to read chap 1 for free.

We have some really good discussions in SCI/FI, I just keep thinking if I could find one you liked then.. And I so think this is right up your alley, so....

Last try, I did promise.

This is N K Jamisin"s blog and she has posted the first three chapters of her book, One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. I have ordered it but it may be awhile before it gets to me so this allows me the get a bit of a head start. I found this because I was curious as to when the second book in the trilogy might come out. Well, I haven't found out but she is working on the third book right now! I love these new writers. They don't make you wait forever for the next installment.

Read her blog. I enjoyed it. She is really funny and oiginal. I particularly liked her promotional ideas and her take on ancient mythology.

Ah, I found it. The second book in the trilogy will be out in Fall of 2010 and is called The Broken Kingdoms.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium -Sci Fi books

(happy dance)

pen21
0 Kudos

Kathy,

If you go to bn.com and find The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

The first 3 chapters are there and part of chapter 4.

It gives you a nice idea on the book.

I like the book, the discussion is great. It makes me pay closer attention to my reading. Gives me ideas that I hadn't thought of. Take a peak at the thread.

Luanne

And yes I am lurking.

KathyS
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Kathy,

I like the book, the discussion is great. It makes me pay closer attention to my reading. Gives me ideas that I hadn't thought of. Take a peak at the thread.

Luanne

And yes I am lurking.

Luanne, you are no longer a lurker, you are part of this kingdom!  I will have King Ryan give you a title!  :smileyhappy:  Although, when you are in the Solarium, here (our community room) the titles are ignored.  Just kick back and have fun with this board, that's what it's for...besides my constant whining!  Burgess, our butler, serves a lot of cheese!

Thanks for the info!  Yes, a good discussion is meant to give to you what an author intends, and more!  You learn, and the author learns as well.  It's a beautiful experience. 

About your book.  I probably won't get involved in this discussion, mainly because I've got too much on my plate at this time.  The books I'm supposed to be discussing, the FL (which I haven't participated in, yet) and the one on the Fiction board, are taking all of my thoughts right now.  I will complete the Lisa Tucker discussion, because I committed myself to it. And I don't want to let Stephanie down, or Lisa. 

I've known Lisa on and off the boards, for a long time.  (We've e-mailed and exchanged our personal thoughts about her books in private)  This new book of hers is a very difficult story to talk about in public, because I feel so close to it, and I seem to be the only one, besides Stephanie, to talk about it.  It's not a fun place to find yourself in.  Being the only participant has happened to me numerous times.  I should be getting used to it.  But I'm not.  I don't feel I learn from this kind of discussion.  You'd think, by how I post, I loved to hear my own voice, but not in these cases.  I know lurkers read a lot around these boards, and I hope they get something back from it, but it's nice to hear back from them!  :smileyhappy:

Thanks for speaking up!  And for the info....Come back, please?!

Kathy

pen21

I will be visiting too, not just lurking.

I understand what you are saying, I took on a lot this month. Then add in work and getting taxes done. But I like mysteries, so wanted to do The Poachers Son. And then I knew The Hundred Thousand  Kingdom would have a good discussion with at least 4 or 5 people participating in a fun discussion. Plus I had the other books I had hoped to read. So don't worry I know where you are coming from.

It is too bad that more aren't participating on the Fiction Board. They get authors to come and share their time with us. I hope someone else jumps in after reading some of the posts.

If you have time, stop by the Mystery Board this afternoon, The Next First Look Thread is having a Happy Hour. That thread has had a lot of food posts.

Luanne

KathyS wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Kathy,

Luanne

And yes I am lurking.

Luanne, you are no longer a lurker, you are part of this kingdom!  I will have King Ryan give you a title!  :smileyhappy:  Although, when you are in the Solarium, here (our community room) the titles are ignored.  Just kick back and have fun with this board, that's what it's for...besides my constant whining!  Burgess, our butler, serves a lot of cheese!

Thanks for the info!  Yes, a good discussion is meant to give to you what an author intends, and more!  You learn, and the author learns as well.  It's a beautiful experience. 

About your book.  I probably won't get involved in this discussion, mainly because I've got too much on my plate at this time.  The books I'm supposed to be discussing, the FL (which I haven't participated in, yet) and the one on the Fiction board, are taking all of my thoughts right now.  I will complete the Lisa Tucker discussion, because I committed myself to it. And I don't want to let Stephanie down, or Lisa. 

I've known Lisa on and off the boards, for a long time.  (We've e-mailed and exchanged our personal thoughts about her books in private)  This new book of hers is a very difficult story to talk about in public, because I feel so close to it, and I seem to be the only one, besides Stephanie, to talk about it.  It's not a fun place to find yourself in.  Being the only participant has happened to me numerous times.  I should be getting used to it.  But I'm not.  I don't feel I learn from this kind of discussion.  You'd think, by how I post, I loved to hear my own voice, but not in these cases.  I know lurkers read a lot around these boards, and I hope they get something back from it, but it's nice to hear back from them!  :smileyhappy:

Thanks for speaking up!  And for the info....Come back, please?!

Kathy

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Luanne,

I will have some time tonight to get you a title and duchy of your own.  Nice to see you joining us. 

Now I just need to get used to the new look of the boards.  I think I like it.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Luanne,

I will have some time tonight to get you a title and duchy of your own.  Nice to see you joining us. 

Hi Ryan,  I like the new looks, and some of it will take a little getting used to.  I made a few additional suggestions to Jon, but I haven't noticed anything to horrific with these changes.  Our cursor automatically goes to the bottom of the quote, which I hadn't noticed before, and was trying to place it above the quoted message.  That got a little messed up.  So, for now I'll leave my cursor/ and post under the quote, as I think it's supposed to be.  Thanks for seeing Luanne's post.  I think "Lady Luanne" has a nice ring to it!  Or we could call her Princess Penelope!  Luanne, what would you like to be called?

Ryan, speaking of Princesses, have you seen your sister anywhere around?  If you do, tell her her mother is looking for her, and I miss her!  (I'd tell her myself, but she's still not speaking to me.)  :smileysad:

Thanks

pen21
0 Kudos

I think Lady Luanne sounds good.

KathyS wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Luanne,

Hi Ryan,  I like the new looks, and some of it will take a little getting used to.  I made a few additional suggestions to Jon, but I haven't noticed anything to horrific with these changes.  Our cursor automatically goes to the bottom of the quote, which I hadn't noticed before, and was trying to place it above the quoted message.  That got a little messed up.  So, for now I'll leave my cursor/ and post under the quote, as I think it's supposed to be.  Thanks for seeing Luanne's post.  I think "Lady Luanne" has a nice ring to it!  Or we could call her Princess Penelope!  Luanne, what would you like to be called?

Ryan, speaking of Princesses, have you seen your sister anywhere around?  If you do, tell her her mother is looking for her, and I miss her!  (I'd tell her myself, but she's still not speaking to me.)  :smileysad:

Thanks

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I see her on twitter and on her blog quite often.  I will tell her to get her butt back over here and say hi.

Luanne, sorry I haven't gotten to your title and holding yet but I will this weekend, cross my heart, hope to die, stick a thousand needles in my eye.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Lady Luanne, hmmm. Depends on who you ask.

Right? :womanwink:

KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
dhaupt wrote:

Yes, my dear Contessa Debbie, even you will be referred to as "Lady"..  :smileytongue: 

Debbie, would you like Ryan to introduce you into the realm?  I'm planning a St. Patrick's day celebration, and thought it would be a nice day to throw a party for you and Luanne, and any other newcomers.  Invite your friends! 

We will all be dressed in  Green!  Everything will be green! 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thanks Queen Mum, but I'm not really new and Ryan introduced me a while ago here it is, but I'd love to be at the Party, Luanne and I are sort of known as party animals:womanvery-happy::

Lady Debbie,

It is so nice to have a new face around the Royal Palace.  We are most pleased that you are joining us here in Wordsmithonia.  I will now give you your title and duties in the realm. 

I hereby annoint you as Lady Debbie, Countess of Night Island.  You are appointed as the protector of and liason to all nocturnal creatures living within the realm of Wordsmithonia.

Edward Gorey, our Royal Portrait Painter, will be painting your offical portrait which will be hung here in our Palace.  It will also be published in the next issue of the Glossary.  While you currently have a private and secure dwelling.  Our builders will be creating a new castle on Night Island and those plans should be finished shortly.

I would like to once again welcome you to our Kingdom and I look forward to many converstions over a nice cup of blueberry tea.

By My Own Hand,

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium -Intros

Sorry, Debbie...my brain is someplace else today.  I didn't recall seeing the pictures Ryan usually puts up...out of sight, out of mind, I guess.  But we do have to throw the new court members a party.  I think Charlie needs to get into this too!  There are several other members that have been away from here for a long time.  I need to put an ALL call out!  

I do know you and Luanne love to party!  I'll be announcing it in the Wordsmith Words, soon.  These parties are both pot luck, and put together by our chefs.  So be ready!  We know everyone loves to eat and drink!  I'll see if Becke is back from her trip by then...she's a party animal!  And you do have to be in character, remember? (unless your here in the Solarium)...even though you are a character, anyway!  :smileyhappy:  We'll be making up stories as we go along, or at least I will (try), and joining in is mandatory!!  This is the fun part.  It will probably go beyond the arrival date.  Always late night parties have late arrivals!  And everyone is welcome to stay as long as you like!  Later, mater....

ox

QM-K

dhaupt wrote:

Thanks Queen Mum, but I'm not really new and Ryan introduced me a while ago here it is, but I'd love to be at the Party, Luanne and I are sort of known as party animals:womanvery-happy::

Lady Debbie,

It is so nice to have a new face around the Royal Palace.  We are most pleased that you are joining us here in Wordsmithonia.  I will now give you your title and duties in the realm. 

I hereby anoint you as Lady Debbie, Countess of Night Island.  You are appointed as the protector of and liaison to all nocturnal creatures living within the realm of Wordsmithonia.

Edward Gorey, our Royal Portrait Painter, will be painting your official portrait which will be hung here in our Palace.  It will also be published in the next issue of the Glossary.  While you currently have a private and secure dwelling.  Our builders will be creating a new castle on Night Island and those plans should be finished shortly.

I would like to once again welcome you to our Kingdom and I look forward to many conversation over a nice cup of blueberry tea.

By My Own Hand,

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium -Intros

Thank you your highness. I can't wait to party with the entire kingdom.

pen21
0 Kudos

Well, not everyone knows me as well as you.

I figure if you're a lady, I could be one too.

dhaupt wrote:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - I'm pissed

[ Edited ]

Ok Kathy, believe me that I'm not trying to be offensive. I'm merely very offended.

BUT ANDREW JACKSON DAY!?!??!?!?? Ok what next Hitler day?????

While most of your average Americans think AJ big diff, dude on the $20 bill.

Every single one of us with any significant amount of Native American heritage think oh AJ the dude who signed the germ warfare orders.

Little know facts to many Americans. AJ signature is on 90% of the orders specifieing that the blankets to be sent as supplies for the Indians should be taken from the small pox wards. He wrote numerous letters to the planing and supporting genocide of the native American peoples. He broke more treaties with NA than any other sitting president. HE IS THE NATIVE AMERICAN HITLER!

Excuse me, I need to go burn a twenty in effigy.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Tigger, I can see you are pissed.  I'm sorry that that article pissed you off.  I had no idea.

I know you're not pissed at me, so I won't take offense for dropping that article in the Wordsmith Words.  I think, really, you need to reply to that article there, as a rebuttal.  I like rebuttals, just as long as they aren't directed towards me.  As I told Sunltcloud, I'm only the messenger.  I would like to see facts written to these things.  I don't know this kind of history, and you do.  Please, write something on it, for everyone to read...or at least everyone who reads that "rag"....

I don't want you to be pissed, I want you to stand up for what is right, and what you believe is true.  If you can give any kind of factual references, that would be great too.  I know how presidents have all been hailed for the good things, and not a lot of the negative issues are brought to the surface.  And just to write about it on this page, does not stand the test of time.  I know it would probably be a great conversation in the Current Events board, so if you want to take it there, I think that also would be fair.  I believe in what you say is true.  I won't challenge.  You know I'm lousy at challenging anything like this.  It does piss me off too, if what you say to this is true.  It seems only Tenn. observes this day.  I didn't even know it existed until I looked at a Farmers Almanac Gardening calendar.    I hope I haven't spoiled your day...forgive me if I have?  Here I thought I was being educational.  How little I know! 

TiggerBear wrote:

Ok Kathy, believe me that I'm not trying to be offensive. I'm merely very offended.

BUT ANDREW JACKSON DAY!?!??!?!?? Ok what next Hitler day?????

While most of your average Americans think AJ big diff, dude on the $20 bill.

Every single one of us with any significant amount of Native American heritage think oh AJ the dude who signed the germ warfare orders.

Little know facts to many Americans. AJ signature is on 90% of the orders specifying that the blankets to be sent as supplies for the Indians should be taken from the small pox wards. He wrote numerous letters to the planning and supporting genocide of the native American peoples. He broke more treaties with NA than any other sitting president. HE IS THE NATIVE AMERICAN HITLER!

Excuse me, I need to go burn a twenty in effigy.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, on CE if you can't site page numbers discussion becomes untenable. I don't own the books I first read those facts in. One of which was even a straight out biography of the man. And the documentary that PBS did was all the way back in the early 90tys. I've got a cousin who might be able to look them up for me. But she's dropped out of Native American politics to finish her book on the forgotten and exterminated tribes. And well at this point a email to her gets a response back in 4 months or so. I'm still waiting for some info Psychee asked me for pre X mas, back from her. (sigh)

Besides what I've already told you. There is a petition to the US treasury to get AJ removed from US currency. They turn us down and we send them a new one, they got the 9th back when they were changing the portrait sizes.  However I think they given as much credence as the hey could you not use racial stereotype as mascots protests.

Unfortunately it's Us policy to hero-ise all former US presidents.

No I don't blame you. Nor was I mad at you. The spirit of your post wasn't meant as anything other than a here's what happened today in history. I will think about a proper rebuttal, I'll see if I can dig up a few outside sources first.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Solarium - the rebuttal

[ Edited ]

Hey Kathy (big hug)