Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Re: Ideas for a poetry thread -

Happy Mothers Day to everyone. For all women who are in our lives.

Just a special day for women and girls.

I may not be a poet, but it is fun finding these pictures.

Luanne

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for a poetry thread -

Awe that's a wonderful picture. I can't wait for it to be Mother's day on Sunday. My father, sister, and I are going to surprise my mother in bed with breakfast and a few gifts. Then we are going to our grandmother's houses to give them their gifts and then finally to my aunts. I really hope they like the gifts I give them!

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
KathyS
0 Kudos

Happy Mother's Day

pen21 wrote:

Happy Mothers Day to everyone. For all women who are in our lives.

Just a special day for women and girls.

I may not be a poet, but it is fun finding these pictures.

Luanne

Luanne, Since I'm a mother, I thank you for the beautiful picture...and the sentiment that goes along with it.  I'm not sure who's a mother and who isn't a mother on these boards...but  I'll echo the sentiment, just the same!  :smileyhappy:

Kathy

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Mother's Day

Queen Kathy, thank you for the confidence, but I am not sure I could do a good job.  This site is so slow these days that I don't even manage to keep up here most of the time.  When I am in book discussions, I have to put those first, and then I often don't have time to enjoy the other boards.  I'm not sure I could come up with good kingdom names.  I wish Ryan were here more often - I miss him!  I do go by and check out his Wordsmithonia blog; I suppose he is busy with that.

My crystal palace is not new - it is the one that King Ryan gave me when he awarded me my kingdoms (I think the picture of my other castle of Oz is no longer active).

I can empathize with your experience - a short while ago, I lost my credit card.  I thought I had checked all the pockets of my blazers (I thought I might have last had it there when I went to a book fair at work), twice over, and didn't find it.  I called and asked them to close it and send me a new card, and then the next day, it was in the pocket of the blazer that I wore that day!  I called again, but it was too late.  Then I had to change everywhere that I had it stored online.  Now the darn bank has switched me to another type of account, with still another new card!  Without my agreeing!  I think I will switch them all to a different card, which has not done that to me.  But then, when I did switch a few things, it was rejected!  I called, and they said I had not activated it (they did so then).  I certainly had - I have had it for a year or two, never remove the sticker and sign until I do, and had just paid a bill for it the previous week!  How many more ways will those darn banks find to torture me?!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Sorry guys that I haven't been around much but I've had the damndest time getting logged in and staying logged in.  Lately, if I can get logged in, I'm able to check one board, then I'm kicked off again.  It has something to do with the cookies, but every time I try and fix it, it doesn't help.

That meant I gave up for a week and a half, but I've missed you guys so I tried again today and it seems that it's maybe working a bit better.  Hopefully I will stop having problems with the site and I will be around a lot more frequently soon.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

My son, my son, my kingdom for my son!  Ryan,  I have sorely missed you, my son!  I was beginning to worry!  I hope things will be resolved with your connection.  What a nice mother's day present you've given me.  :smileyhappy:  I hope my  grandson is doing well?

I do know what a mess getting on can be.  I had problems last week, but I called my server techie, and found it was my computer having problems...he walked me through it, and we got it solved.  In a week or two, I'll be able to get DSL.  Its always been hit and miss, here where I live.  I was finally able to get a line.  This dial-up sucks big time!  It's bad enough with all the glitches B&N puts us through, but it's feels even worse when your computer is as slow as cold molasses in January!  I don't go to the boards I'd like to visit, because of this waiting game for everything to download.

I've gotta run, but I hope to see you soon!

xo

Kathy

pen21
0 Kudos

Happy Birthday, Debbie !!!

[ Edited ]

Happy Birthday Debbie !!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Birthday, Debbie !!!

pen21 wrote:

Happy Birthday Debbie !!!

Aww shucks, thanks Luanne

KathyS
0 Kudos

Happy Birthday, Debbie, and many more to come!

Kathy

dhaupt
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Happy Birthday, Debbie, and many more to come!

Kathy

Thank you Kathy ;-)

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Happy Birthday, Countess Debbie!!!

German Chocolate

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
KathyS
0 Kudos

Ooooh, Dulcie brought chocolate!!!!  When do we eat?  :smileyhappy:

dulcinea3 wrote:

German Chocolate

dhaupt
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

German Chocolate

Thanks dulcie,

I'm off to get the slicing knife right now.

So Kathy hold your horses, you will get the biggest slice.

KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

German Chocolate

Thanks dulcie,

Thanks, Debbie....I'm holding my horses.... :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

German Chocolate

Thanks dulcie,

Thanks, Debbie....I'm holding my horses.... :smileyhappy:

Kath, I changed my mind. You deserve this whole cake, after all chocolate is it's own food group.

Enjoy my friend!!!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Thank you so much, Debbie, and I do need chocolate more than ever this week...but, Nonono...I think we all need to share in these calorie laden cakes!  :smileyvery-happy: 

I can't believe I went to the drugstore to get my favorite ice cream to share with you all, it was called Medieval Madness, and they discontinued it!  (honest truth!) After all of these years.... Talk about being bummed!  I hate changes like these, we've had to go through...and to take away my ice cream too?....that's just more than I can bare!

I hope you had a wonderful birthday, Deb....and enjoyed all the food groups you love!  :smileyhappy:

Kathy

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: sorry your ice cream is gone

I know the feeling. Went to walmart the other day to buy chicken gizzards for hubby (his FAVORITE dish) and could not find them. Asked "oh they've been discontinued.". How do you discontinue a meat cut? It's not like they didn't sell cases of them every week either. (frustrated sigh)

What was in the ice cream Kathy?

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

hello Everyone!

Kathy, that sucks that your ice cream was discontinued, that seems to happen to me alot! Right now my favorite is strawberry cheesecake icecream (my favorite favorite ice cream is strawberry). It's so yummy and if they discontinue it I think I'll cry. I hope you find another ice cream flavor you love.

Kayla

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
KathyS
0 Kudos

That's interesting, TiggerBear, having chicken gizzards discontinued...I love chicken liver, but that's as far as I go in the innards department, unless I'm making giblet gravy. 

Having worked in the market business, they discontinue something that doesn't have a high volume of sales. They want to move things out, not have them sit on the shelf, or in refrigeration until they expire.  Some markets will carry an item, when another one won't.  It depends on the location of the market.  You may find it at another Walmart store.  Some specialty items can be ordered, too, but I don't know what Walmart policies are. 

When I worked for Albertsons, if we didn't have an item for a customer, our policy was to go to another chain market and buy it specifically for them.  We had a room just for stored items, until they could come in and pick it up, or we would deliver it to their house, if they asked us.  We did a lot of customer service. 

Our meat department for Food4Less, because of the location we were in, carried really bazaar cuts of meat.  Hog heads....chicken feet...etc., but we stopped putting them in the case because it offended some people.  So you had to ask for them.  Also, the meat department's case ran in front of my deli, and I would get "meat questions" all the time....and also, with irritation, watch kids poke the eyes of the fish!  I was forever asking these kids to please not break the wrapping with their little fingers!  Some parents had no control over their kids, and these items had to be removed, and repackaged.

Anyway, as far as my ice cream.  That ice cream had been a Thrifty drugstore item for as long as I can remember, and after RiteAid took over, they kept all of Thrifty ice creams.  They have an ice cream cone counter service... but, as the checker said, they like to introduce new ice creams....out with the old....in with the new.  I should write a complaint to the Thrifty Co.!    It was hard to describe this ice cream....it was a vanilla, with a caramel, and an almost marshmallow swirl through it.  Simply yummy!  It was always popular, because they would sell out of it all the time.  And to introduce "pineapple coconut" in it's place, or something like that...yuck!  I ended up buying Bryers Black Cherry!  I never bought much ice cream, but when the kids come over, I would make ice cream cones for them.  Bryers Neapolitan is good, each flavor is distinct.  The strawberry has chunks of strawberries.  I also really like their fresh peach....  Now, I need to back off on the ice cream....I'm gaining weight!.....at least until I start watching the kids for the summer....I'll have to get my self control back....and not eat it all in one sitting!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Good morning, Kayla!

Sorry about your ice cream, too!

For the most part, I've never been a big ice cream eater, except in the summer months, when it really gets hot......but like I was telling TiggerBear, when my grandkids are around, I do keep it on hand....then I started eating it, even when they weren't around!  It was like I craved it!

I don't think strawberry ice cream, or chocolate, or vanilla, will ever go out...but the variety of ways in which you get it, will always seem to change.  The big thing seems to be the candy bar ice creams.  I got Bryers' Snickers the other day.  It wasn't bad.  I got the Mars Bar for the kids, one time.  It was similar to the Medieval Madness.  But, this is the first time I've ever really liked a specific flavor of ice cream, and then to have it discontinue, it bummed me! 

I do like cherry vanilla, or black cherry, too.  I like those little surprises of fruit.  I've never been a just plain chocolate, strawberry, or vanilla kind of person, until Bryers came along and introduced these wonderful homemade flavors.  Anyway, for now I'm off of ice cream.

The phone company will be here sometime today, giving me a line for my internet service....FINALLY, I'll be coming out of the dark ages of dial up!  And maybe then I will be here, without cussing this program out for taking so long to navigate around.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be here before noon....my daughter is off today, and wants to go out for Sushi....

K.