Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: sorry your ice cream is gone

 

KathyS wrote:

That's interesting, TiggerBear, having chicken gizzards discontinued...I love chicken liver, but that's as far as I go in the innards department, unless I'm making giblet gravy. 

 

Having worked in the market business, they discontinue something that doesn't have a high volume of sales. They want to move things out, not have them sit on the shelf, or in refrigeration until they expire.  Some markets will carry an item, when another one won't.  It depends on the location of the market.  You may find it at another Walmart store.  Some specialty items can be ordered, too, but I don't know what Walmart policies are. 

 

When I worked for Albertsons, if we didn't have an item for a customer, our policy was to go to another chain market and buy it specifically for them.  We had a room just for stored items, until they could come in and pick it up, or we would deliver it to their house, if they asked us.  We did a lot of customer service. 

 

Our meat department for Food4Less, because of the location we were in, carried really bazaar cuts of meat.  Hog heads....chicken feet...etc., but we stopped putting them in the case because it offended some people.  So you had to ask for them.  Also, the meat department's case ran in front of my deli, and I would get "meat questions" all the time....and also, with irritation, watch kids poke the eyes of the fish!  I was forever asking these kids to please not break the wrapping with their little fingers!  Some parents had no control over their kids, and these items had to be removed, and repackaged.

 

Anyway, as far as my ice cream.  That ice cream had been a Thrifty drugstore item for as long as I can remember, and after RiteAid took over, they kept all of Thrifty ice creams.  They have an ice cream cone counter service... but, as the checker said, they like to introduce new ice creams....out with the old....in with the new.  I should write a complaint to the Thrifty Co.!    It was hard to describe this ice cream....it was a vanilla, with a caramel, and an almost marshmallow swirl through it.  Simply yummy!  It was always popular, because they would sell out of it all the time.  And to introduce "pineapple coconut" in it's place, or something like that...yuck!  I ended up buying Bryers Black Cherry!  I never bought much ice cream, but when the kids come over, I would make ice cream cones for them.  Bryers Neapolitan is good, each flavor is distinct.  The strawberry has chunks of strawberries.  I also really like their fresh peach....  Now, I need to back off on the ice cream....I'm gaining weight!.....at least until I start watching the kids for the summer....I'll have to get my self control back....and not eat it all in one sitting!

 

 

Thanks for the back story Kathy. That's cool. Yeah I hear you about kids left to run amok in store. It's my major gripe as a shopper some weeks.

 

But as I said, I doubt it was lack of sales. The store moved cases of them every week. Last month one week  they ran out. I sent the guy in the back, since he was already reloading chicken parts to see if their were any in the back. He brought out a case, opened it, and handed me the 2 1lb packages I wanted. But he didn't even get to stock the rest of the case cause the women around me emptied it first in less than 2 mins. Evidence supports Walmart's hustling them. I'm wondering if Tyson just isn't packaging them any more. Which worries me more since they the major poultry supplier for the region.The lady did tell Walmart period isn't stocking them, though she didn't know why and thought it odd too. I'm going hunting elsewhere this week I do have 7 food markets all a stones throw from each other and less than 10 from the house, so I still have hope. Heck I'll order them online IF I have to, it is his favorite. Man likes all innards except livers and I don't like innards except for liver so... I do cater to his wants in that department.

 

We had a new high end market close open up recently and I'm hoping Walmart's just doing one of their image makeovers (which all end up temporary so...). I went to the new Martins (the upscale place) it's very YANKIEFIED. Though they do have the best fish market out side of a fish mongers, and it was nice to find bison for sale. But I don't consider Americanized texmex and Americanized Italian as Ethnic food, and that's all they had. Which is just ridiculous on the east coast, even Kroger has a Hindi/Paki section. And to not have a half *ss Asian section is bizarre in this region. We don't eat veal, most around here don't so a broad veal section is of no benefit. Odd store, great mustard selection but no dried beans. Wide selection of organic tomatoes but zero fresh dark leafy greens. It' not the Target grocery shopping experience; fresh bread, milk, and prepackaged frozen meals only. But I would never consider it a complete grocery store the way it is. Half of the store is the precooked caterer meal section, great for a spur of the moment picnic and not much else in my mind, I like to cook. That being said; I will swing by occasionally for Birch beer, bison, and anytime I buy seafood. The things I can't get elsewhere. Otherwise it just doesn't meet my needs.

 

(shaking head) When will Walmart realize their main purchasers don't want the everything premade experience. I should have known something was up when they put in a third jumbo freezer case.

 

Kathy if the dairy still makes that flavor just the store doesn't stock it. It's a possibility the maker will ship you some. That is once the kids are back and you are back to ice cream eating. Pineapple coconut seams like a seasonal flavor to me, like peach is around here.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: sorry your ice cream is gone

 

KathyS wrote:

 

 

The phone company will be here sometime today, giving me a line for my internet service....FINALLY, I'll be coming out of the dark ages of dial up!  And maybe then I will be here, without cussing this program out for taking so long to navigate around.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be here before noon....my daughter is off today, and wants to go out for Sushi....

 

K.

 


:smileyvery-happy: Yah Kathy's getting better internet! Hope the sushi was good.

 

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: sorry your ice cream is gone

Well, the line is hooked up, but I still have to wait for someone else to come tomorrow, to finish it, but I don't have to be home for this.  I've got a school end of semester potluck to go to. 

 

Then I have to wait for the modem to arrive.....then figure out how to hook it up.  I know there is probably something I'll have to do in my computer, to switch it.  I think I know what it is, but I might have to call my IP to help me.  I'm a computer wiz, compared to a lot of the people who live around here, but I'm far from staying up to speed!   From horse and buggy to model T, I'm coming up in the world!

 

I was first going to have this guy use my telephone line, since I plan to discontinue it, but by the time I thought about it, and about how long I'd be without the use of my computer/internet, I told him to go ahead and put in the new line....he told me that if I have problems with the new one, which is actually an old line, I could call him out to switch it with my telephone line, which has never given me problems.  But I'd have to discontinue my telephone service first.   In the area I live, it's old, and we really have some old wiring.....and old people, too!  Ha!

 

I called my daughter, and she brought the Sushi here.  It was yummy.  The stupid Verizon guy didn't show up until after 4:00!  We could have gone out!

 

Sounds like you've got a lot of markets to choose from.  I've been shopping, lately, at our new WinCo stores.  I'm sort of in-between them, neither are real close, but they're as close as our other markets.....they really do have a wide selection of grocery items.  As big as I've ever seen.  And a large produce department, which I love.  And I've never seen the amount of bulk/bin products in my life!  I was more than pleasantly surprised when I started to look around that store...I get my walking in when I shop there!  I don't know if you guys have those on the east coast.  They're fairly new, here.  My daughters shop at the Walmart store, but I have a problem grocery shopping there, since I'm a retired union employee...:smileyhappy:  But I will shop at private, employee owned stores, like WinCo. 

 

I'm stumped about the gizzard problem, but I know you....you'll hunt them down if it's the last thing you do!  :smileyvery-happy:  Maybe there aren't enough of this product to go around to all the stores, and the Tyson Co. has to select which ones they sell to, to make their profit....who pays the best prices for them, I would think.  Sounds like they're in high demand where you live.   If you find them, you probably will have to pay a little more than what Walmart was selling them for.   I honestly don't see them in our stores.  But, then again, I don't look for them!  We have wonderful stuff like Tripe, though!  Ha!

I hope you find them!  And I'm hunting down my ice cream, too! 

 

K.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: sorry your ice cream is gone

 

KathyS wrote:

Well, the line is hooked up, but I still have to wait for someone else to come tomorrow, to finish it, but I don't have to be home for this.  I've got a school end of semester potluck to go to. 

 

Then I have to wait for the modem to arrive.....then figure out how to hook it up.  I know there is probably something I'll have to do in my computer, to switch it.  I think I know what it is, but I might have to call my IP to help me.  I'm a computer wiz, compared to a lot of the people who live around here, but I'm far from staying up to speed!   From horse and buggy to model T, I'm coming up in the world!

 

I was first going to have this guy use my telephone line, since I plan to discontinue it, but by the time I thought about it, and about how long I'd be without the use of my computer/internet, I told him to go ahead and put in the new line....he told me that if I have problems with the new one, which is actually an old line, I could call him out to switch it with my telephone line, which has never given me problems.  But I'd have to discontinue my telephone service first.   In the area I live, it's old, and we really have some old wiring.....and old people, too!  Ha!

 

I called my daughter, and she brought the Sushi here.  It was yummy.  The stupid Verizon guy didn't show up until after 4:00!  We could have gone out!

 

Sounds like you've got a lot of markets to choose from.  I've been shopping, lately, at our new WinCo stores.  I'm sort of in-between them, neither are real close, but they're as close as our other markets.....they really do have a wide selection of grocery items.  As big as I've ever seen.  And a large produce department, which I love.  And I've never seen the amount of bulk/bin products in my life!  I was more than pleasantly surprised when I started to look around that store...I get my walking in when I shop there!  I don't know if you guys have those on the east coast.  They're fairly new, here.  My daughters shop at the Walmart store, but I have a problem grocery shopping there, since I'm a retired union employee...:smileyhappy:  But I will shop at private, employee owned stores, like WinCo. 

 

I'm stumped about the gizzard problem, but I know you....you'll hunt them down if it's the last thing you do!  :smileyvery-happy:  Maybe there aren't enough of this product to go around to all the stores, and the Tyson Co. has to select which ones they sell to, to make their profit....who pays the best prices for them, I would think.  Sounds like they're in high demand where you live.   If you find them, you probably will have to pay a little more than what Walmart was selling them for.   I honestly don't see them in our stores.  But, then again, I don't look for them!  We have wonderful stuff like Tripe, though!  Ha!

I hope you find them!  And I'm hunting down my ice cream, too! 

 

K.

 

 

 

Isn't that always the way. Around here people have griped so long and loud about waiting all day for repairmen, a few companies have institued a if we don't show up on time your next month is free policy. There will be a disc with your modem and an instalation guide. If it's a outside modem box it's an easy 5 min install. Couse set ups a b*tch, call tech service your first run through. Highly recomended.

 

Nope we don't have WinCos. Close I've got Food Lion, Kroger, Walmart, Martins(also known as Giant), WinDixie, a B & J, and the stuff Target hustles (the people that only shop there scare me, who only eats take out and frozen food), plus 2 bakeries and a 3 day week butcher. A drive and there's Tan-A the asian market, a mediterainain market, 3 Indi/paki stores, a CostCo, a world foods, an organic market, 4 fish mongers, and a Sam's club. I also recently saw a sign for a West African food market, but I've not been in yet (not the safest neiborhood).

 

Oh yeah I'm betting Kroger has them 4 bucks a pound, when Wally had them for a buck. Tripe I can get that, B&J has it in stock about every other week. He likes that in dim sum dumplings with barley. But I'll let the Super King Buffet mess with that stuff. Tripe's a pain to work with.

 

Good Luck on the ice cream hunt!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: sorry your ice cream is gone

Since I was able to log on tongiht, I wanted to stop by and say hi to everyone.  So far no problems, I"m keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it stays this way.  I hope eveyrone is doing well.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Hi, Ryan!

Ryan_G wrote:

Since I was able to log on tongiht, I wanted to stop by and say hi to everyone.  So far no problems, I"m keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it stays this way.  I hope eveyrone is doing well.

 

Hi Ryan!!!  Great to see you!  Unfortunately, my work is now blocking blogs, so I haven't been over to yours lately. :smileysad:  I hope you can continue to come visit us here - you are our King, after all!!! :smileywink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
Posts: 700
Registered: ‎06-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Hi, Ryan!

Hi everyone! 

 

what's up? i just wanted to talk..that's all. don't mind me :smileyhappy:

http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Hi, Ryan!

Hi back, can't stay. Talk later?

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Solarium - Dulcie, interactive story

Dulcie, you goof-ball! :smileyvery-happy:  I know a picture is worth, etc., etc...but you're suppose to pick up the story as the character....continue writing a short section....then someone else needs to pick it up after that, .....get the picture?  Ha!  Nice touch, though.  I love that monster!  He used to scare the living daylights out of me!

 

Start writing, dear sweet girl, or I'll take away your camera!  :smileyhappy:

 

Kathy

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

HELLO WHERE IS EVERYONE!?!?!?!

Kathy, Ryan, Debbie, everyone where are you??????????

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: HELLO WHERE IS EVERYONE!?!?!?!

Hey, Tigger!  What's up?   I'm still around, mostly in the writing room, at the moment.  Learning how to write!  :smileyhappy:  The rest of the gang?  I don't have a clue.  I've sort of lost my momentum in this board, since everyone seems to not want to participate.  I don't know what to do about that.  What do you want to do?

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: HELLO WHERE IS EVERYONE!?!?!?!

I don't think it's so much an unwillingness, as it is that this site is so slow and difficult to use these days.  I'm participating in a book discussion now, and just doing that takes so much time that I'm too weary to do much else around here.  Maybe if things improve technically, participation will improve all over the site.

 

Just a little while ago, I was on a thread and when I tried to go back to the message listing, I suddenly found myself on a page that was trying to sell me a Nook!  WTF?!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: HELLO WHERE IS EVERYONE!?!?!?!

Yeah I was gone for awhile being sick, and there's major glitches nearly everyday. I know now Ryan is pretty much completely unable to get on so...

 

Want to do.. not sure. Too fun a place to just give up.

 

I know we have a lot of lurking readers, not sure how to get them to join in.

 

 

HEY LURKERS! What does it take to get you to post?!

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Get well....

I'm sorry to hear you've been sick, Tigger....I hope you're feeling better...nothing too serious?   I was wondering where you've been, other than Becke's board...

 

I don't know what the problems are with the boards, I haven't had any, lately.  It took me a while to figure out I needed more memory.

 

I know what you mean, Dulcie,....I've had that happen, but not much....I've found if I click on what I want to go to, like "Browse Book Clubs, it will sometimes take me to textbooks, or someplace else....and that only happens if I get too impatient, and not wait for the graphics to settle down, completely.

 

When I doubled my memory, everything speeded up.  I don't wait between posts, or the other functions, either.

 

I just haven't been posting here, because I've been kind of preoccupied with other boards.  Even when I do post a lot of stuff, here....not much happens anyway.  I'm not drawing people, or keeping them, probably my lovely personality!  Or maybe I haven't been in a party mood....I know this isn't "party central", it's just what it is.  This board belongs to anyone who wants it, I keep saying this, but obviously, nobody wants it.

 

So, here we are, back to square one.  I doubt, seriously, that Ryan is interested any more, in coming back...computer problems, or no computer problems....and Deb stopped speaking to me a long time ago, so I never expected her to come back to this board.  I'd hoped she would, but I can't do anything about the reasons she's mad at me, since she won't tell me...she won't talk to me at all.  I've tried.  Now you know...that's the short of it.  I'm sure they've gone to Goodreads, to talk books.

 

The last I heard, Queen Mother was having a tryst with The Creature from the Black Lagoon....so that ends my reign, unless I want to get myself out of the labyrinth, below the moat.  Maybe we could have a wedding....invite all the boards....?  We might have to feed the Creature rum balls, and Long Island Ice Teas, to sedate him, since he's not too keen on meeting strangers.

 

All ideas are welcome. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Get well....

 


KathyS wrote:

I'm sorry to hear you've been sick, Tigger....I hope you're feeling better...nothing too serious?   I was wondering where you've been, other than Becke's board...

 

I don't know what the problems are with the boards, I haven't had any, lately.  It took me a while to figure out I needed more memory.

 

I know what you mean, Dulcie,....I've had that happen, but not much....I've found if I click on what I want to go to, like "Browse Book Clubs, it will sometimes take me to textbooks, or someplace else....and that only happens if I get too impatient, and not wait for the graphics to settle down, completely.

 

When I doubled my memory, everything speeded up.  I don't wait between posts, or the other functions, either.

 

I just haven't been posting here, because I've been kind of preoccupied with other boards.  Even when I do post a lot of stuff, here....not much happens anyway.  I'm not drawing people, or keeping them, probably my lovely personality!  Or maybe I haven't been in a party mood....I know this isn't "party central", it's just what it is.  This board belongs to anyone who wants it, I keep saying this, but obviously, nobody wants it.

 

So, here we are, back to square one.  I doubt, seriously, that Ryan is interested any more, in coming back...computer problems, or no computer problems....and Deb stopped speaking to me a long time ago, so I never expected her to come back to this board.  I'd hoped she would, but I can't do anything about the reasons she's mad at me, since she won't tell me...she won't talk to me at all.  I've tried.  Now you know...that's the short of it.  I'm sure they've gone to Goodreads, to talk books.

 

The last I heard, Queen Mother was having a tryst with The Creature from the Black Lagoon....so that ends my reign, unless I want to get myself out of the labyrinth, below the moat.  Maybe we could have a wedding....invite all the boards....?  We might have to feed the Creature rum balls, and Long Island Ice Teas, to sedate him, since he's not too keen on meeting strangers.

 

All ideas are welcome. 


 

I'm fine now. Was gone for about 9 days though and it seamed everyone just went poof.

 

 

Ehh once again is all what browser you are using and what day of the week it is, and who knows what else. Not everyone everyday, but some everyday. (shakes head and shrugs)

 

Ok the Debbie thing, I have zero idea what you are talking about so...

 

I not sure what's neccisary to bring in posters. Open to requests!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Get well....

Hey everyone,

 

I apologize if you guys have been thinking that I abandoned you.  I really have had some serious issues with this site and being able to get on.  Today it seems I can post on the boards but get kicked off the entire site if I even try to access my barnes and noble page. 

 

I admit I was getting frustrated with the whole thing and not being able to get on so I wasn't checking every day like I should have been, and I aplogozie for that.  It just gets frustrating at times when you are trying to do something and the site you are trying to do it on keeps saying your cookies are set wrong no matter how many time you reset them.  I've just assumed it's the site because I don't have that problem with anything else.

 

I do promise to check wether or not I can log on more often because I do miss you guys and would like to get this board moving again.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Get well....

 


Ryan_G wrote:

Hey everyone,

 

I apologize if you guys have been thinking that I abandoned you.  I really have had some serious issues with this site and being able to get on.  Today it seems I can post on the boards but get kicked off the entire site if I even try to access my barnes and noble page. 

 

I admit I was getting frustrated with the whole thing and not being able to get on so I wasn't checking every day like I should have been, and I aplogozie for that.  It just gets frustrating at times when you are trying to do something and the site you are trying to do it on keeps saying your cookies are set wrong no matter how many time you reset them.  I've just assumed it's the site because I don't have that problem with anything else.

 

I do promise to check wether or not I can log on more often because I do miss you guys and would like to get this board moving again.


 

We're happy anytime you can join us. :smileyvery-happy:

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Hi, King Ryan!!!

Hi, Ryan!!! :smileyhappy: Miss you lots!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Hi, King Ryan!!!

Thanks Tig and Dulci!  I'm actually excited that I was able to get on here two days in a row.  I was even able to access the board off My Barnes & Noble profile page so we will see what happens when I try to get back on there.  I'm hoping that this is a good sign of things to come and that I'll be able to hang out with you guys more often.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Hi, King Ryan!!!


Ryan_G wrote:

Thanks Tig and Dulci!  I'm actually excited that I was able to get on here two days in a row.  I was even able to access the board off My Barnes & Noble profile page so we will see what happens when I try to get back on there.  I'm hoping that this is a good sign of things to come and that I'll be able to hang out with you guys more often.


 

Ryan!  We need you back with us!!!....the Queen is in despair, in the clutches of the creature from the black lagoon.... and the Kingdom has gone into disrepair!  Please help!

 

Kathy