Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

The Great Trail Drive

Driving the Chuckwagon, you have to be prepared to cook for any number of people along the trail, and in all kinds of weather conditions.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Valley of Fire

[ Edited ]

http://www.desertusa.com/mag00/feb/stories/vof.html

Tonight, I'm camping out in The Valley of Fire, near-by are abandoned stone dwellings.  Join me if you want to travel the US with me.  I'll feed you along the way!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Valley of Fire

I've put the awning up tonight, and tables set for whomever drops by for dinner. 

the pot of stew is cooking over the fire.....and I guess the aroma attracted a few visitors to the camp!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Southwest Writers

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Monument Valley

Up at dawn, now heading to

Monument Valley and SE Utah

Navajo Tribal Parks

Over the years, Monument Valley has been the setting for more Western movies than any other site in the United States. Unique sandstone formations, the Navajo Indian Nation and the Four Corners Monument define this vast, open desert region. Some of Utah's great hikes are found here.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Monument Valley - Movies

Movies Filmed in the Moab Area/Monument Valley

1939 - Stagecoach

1949 - Wagon Master

1950 - Rio Grande

1953 - Taza, son of Cochise

1958 - Warlock

1959 - Ten Who Dared

1961 - Comancheros

1963 - The Greatest Story Ever Told

1963 - Cheyenne Autumn

1964 - Rio Conchos

1966 - Wild Rovers
1966 - Fade In

1967 - Blue

1975 - Against a Crooked Sky

1982 - Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone

1984 - Choke Canyon

1985 - MacGyver

1987 - Nightmare at Noon

1988 - Sundown: Vampires in Retreat

1988 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1990 - Thelma and Louise

1992 - Knights

1992 - Slaughter of the Innocents

1993 - Geronimo: An American Legend

1993 - City Slickers II: The Search for Curly's Gold

1993 - Lightning Jack

1994 - The Great American West

1995 - Larger Than Life

1995 - Riders of the Purple Sage

1996 - Breakdown

1996 - Con-Air

1997 - Lost Treasure of Dos Santos

1998 - Chill Factor

1998 - Galaxy Quest

1999 - The Adventures of Joe Dirt

1999 - Mission Impossible II

1999 - Vertical Limit

2000 - Nurse Betty

2001 - Touched by an Angel

2002 - Austin Powers 3

2005 - Don't Come Knocking

2007 - The Canyon
2008 - Star Trek
2009 - Remember I'll Always Love You

2010 - 127 Hours
2010 - John Carter of Mars
2010 - Guns, Girls, and Gambling

KathyS
0 Kudos

Monument Valley - camp for the night

Well, it looks like this is as good a place as any to pull in for the night..... I guess it's just me and my horse, so far.  Time for some shut eye.....

Tomorrow, we head for The Grand Canyon. 

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Lovely pictures, Kathy!

I just spent most of several days putting notes together on visiting Paris for someone else, so along with hurricane anxiety and clean-up, I haven't given much thought to trail riding.  Life has been pigging out on potato chips and burgers and french fries and Chinese and pizza in sort of anxiety driven concern and sense of futility -- none of which is particularly justified.  But, I haven't done that sort of eating for months, so figure something must be nagging.

The heroes to go do look good. 

Since we are in the West, I'll tell the tale of driving the road on Pike's Peak in early spring.  My husband had had a meeting at Broadmoor and I was being trailing spouse that week.  We and another couple after the conference decided to go drive that road.  I have never forgotten the sections where the road seemed to simply fall away at its edges nor the places (two, I believe there were) where we met large semi-trucks bringing cattle up to graze for the summer.

Pikes Peak Hairpins

© 2006-2009  by Pikes Peak Cam

I had forgotten how sharp some of the hairpin curves were until I found this picture.

Pikes Peak

Pikes Peak, Colorado, from the Garden of the Gods.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Garden of the Gods

An absolutely beautiful image from Garden of the Gods.

It is even better with the correct ratios of length and width here: http://gallery.pikespeakcam.com/main.php?g2_itemId=4590

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
KathyS
0 Kudos

Pikes Peak, Garden of The Gods - Colorado

[ Edited ]

Peppermill wrote:

Garden of the Gods

An absolutely beautiful image from Garden of the Gods.

It is even better with the correct ratios of length and width here: http://gallery.pikespeakcam.com/main.php?g2_itemId=4590

KathyS
0 Kudos

Pikes Peak, Colorado

Peppermill wrote:

Lovely pictures, Kathy!

I just spent most of several days putting notes together on visiting Paris for someone else, so along with hurricane anxiety and clean-up, I haven't given much thought to trail riding.  Life has been pigging out on potato chips and burgers and french fries and Chinese and pizza in sort of anxiety driven concern and sense of futility -- none of which is particularly justified.  But, I haven't done that sort of eating for months, so figure something must be nagging.

The heroes to go do look good. 

Since we are in the West, I'll tell the tale of driving the road on Pike's Peak in early spring.  My husband had had a meeting at Broadmoor and I was being trailing spouse that week.  We and another couple after the conference decided to go drive that road.  I have never forgotten the sections where the road seemed to simply fall away at its edges nor the places (two, I believe there were) where we met large semi-trucks bringing cattle up to graze for the summer.

Pikes Peak Hairpins

I had forgotten how sharp some of the hairpin curves were until I found this picture.

Pikes Peak

Pikes Peak, Colorado, from the Garden of the Gods.

Thanks for your story, Pepper!  I hate those kinds of roads!  It's been so many years ago, I'd forgotton about the Garden of The Gods, and how beautiful the scenery is....glad you made it back down, safe and sound!  Ha!

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Out West

While we are out West, let me mention a few regional favorites, besides the earlier Willa Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop

Monte Walsh by Jack Schaefer

Enjoyed the understated humor in these stories of a cowboy's life.

Shane by Jack Schaefer

Can't remember when I last read Zane Grey, but I certainly did those years before twenty:

The Rainbow Trail (B&N Essential Read) 

Riders of the Purple Sage (B&N Essential Read)   

How many of these do we know:

Robert E. Howard

Bret Harte

Clarence E. Mulford -- Hopalong Cassidy novels

John G. Neihardt

Gertrude Atherton

Trina Robbins

Ben Avery

Rod Lott

Rich Rainey

David Hontiveros

The Outcasts of Poker Flats by Brett Harte

Black Elk Speaks by John G. Neihardt

Black Oxen by Gertrude Atherton

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Out West in Fiction

Peppermill wrote:

While we are out West, let me mention a few regional favorites, besides the earlier Willa Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop

Monte Walsh by Jack Schaefer

Enjoyed the understated humor in these stories of a cowboy's life.

Shane by Jack Schaefer

Can't remember when I last read Zane Grey, but I certainly did those years before twenty:

The Rainbow Trail (B&N Essential Read) 

Riders of the Purple Sage (B&N Essential Read)   

How many of these do we know:

Robert E. Howard

Bret Harte

Clarence E. Mulford -- Hopalong Cassidy novels

John G. Neihardt

Gertrude Atherton

Trina Robbins

Ben Avery

Rod Lott

Rich Rainey

David Hontiveros

The Outcasts of Poker Flats by Brett Harte

Black Elk Speaks by John G. Neihardt

Black Oxen by Gertrude Atherton

Great list of books, Pepper!  Lots to choose from, thanks!

KathyS
0 Kudos

The Great Trail Drive - Talk along the way

Peppermill wrote:

Lovely pictures, Kathy!

Pepper, I understand how things can be, and are....don't worry about the trail ride.

I've just taken it here because I feel more comfortable talking, and taking these trips, making comments along the way like this, in where we can be as creative as we feel.  Not that Debbie minds what we do on her board, at all, it's just me needing to be here.  I haven't been doing much on this board, so I thought it would be good to be "home" for a while.  I've needed to regroup, just a personal thing for me.

There are times when we don't need to justify what we do, or how we feel, but some of us are inclined to do it anyway.  Craving, and eating certain foods is comforting when things in our life tend to get out of our control.  I'm not saying we're controlling, it's just that when we want order, and can't have it the way we like it, we will go after what makes us the most happy, and that can be food. 

When I posted those pictures of the sandwich, etc., I actually did eat one for lunch.  I called my friend, Susie, she was working....and we went to the cafeteria and I bought a 12 incher, potato chips, salad, and drinks...we went back to the classroom, and we split it!  So, my fantasies sometimes do come true!

I hope things get back to what we like to think as 'normal'....for you, soon.  :smileyhappy:

Instead of going to the Grand Canyon, like I thought I would, I think we'll come here to Colorado in the morning....stay for a while....I'm sure if MMuse joins in, she'll have lots to talk about in this state, too, since she's lived here!

Kathy's horse with new outfit.

Peppermill

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Out West

To continue -- I was afraid I would run out of time or up against length limits.

Trina Robbins

Ben Avery

Rod Lott  -- see his name associated with Graphic Classics.

Rich Rainey  -- also associated with Graphic Classics

David Hontiveros  -- also associated with Graphic Classics

Sorry for this side track in looking for Western writers.  That was a path that wasn't very productive.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/joni+mitchell/ladies+of+the+canyon_20075374.html

First woman referred to in these lyrics by Joni Mitchell is reported to be Trina Robbins.  There is a vocal rendition available at this site as well, and one can follow the lyrics along with the vocalist.

Wild Irish Roses by Trina Robbins

Lullaby, Volume 1  by Ben Avery -- but I don't see evidence any of his work is particularly Western U.S.A.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Out West in Fiction, Art, and Music

[ Edited ]

Peppermill wrote:

To continue -- I was afraid I would run out of time or up against length limits.

Trina Robbins

Ben Avery

Rod Lott  -- see his name associated with Graphic Classics.

Rich Rainey  -- also associated with Graphic Classics

David Hontiveros  -- also associated with Graphic Classics

Sorry for this side track in looking for Western writers.  That was a path that wasn't very productive.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/joni+mitchell/ladies+of+the+canyon_20075374.html

First woman referred to in these lyrics by Joni Mitchell is reported to be Trina Robbins.  There is a vocal rendition available at this site as well, and one can follow the lyrics along with the vocalist.

Wild Irish Roses by Trina Robbins

Lullaby, Volume 1  by Ben Avery -- but I don't see evidence any of his work is particularly Western U.S.A.

Trina Robbins, and interesting career!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Grand Canyon, here I come! ---after coffee and breakfast.

Up early------ I need coffee and breakfast!  Who wants to make breakfast?

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Grand Canyon, here I come! ---after coffee and breakfast.

[ Edited ]

BREAKFAST IS SERVED!

Peppermill
0 Kudos

I see you had to get your own (breakfast)!  Sorry 'bout that, Kathy.

'Tis time to consider lunch here, in fact, a little late at 1:12 EST.

Now that you have the sleep/sand out of your eyes, hope the day is a good one.  Personally, have little motivation to move on today -- will make it one to potter around the camp and let the horses graze.

horses grazinghorses grazing 2grey horse  Let's see, who said they had a pretty grey?  conestoga waggons Not quite sure to where our oxen have wandered off.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

OxenAh, here appears to be one of them.