Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Bryce Canyon

Pepper, thanks for building the fire tonight, although it's 99 degrees at the moment, here! :smileyvery-happy:  I love to just sit around a fire, watching the flames, and glancing up at the night sky to see those 'billions' and billions of stars shining down on us.  Once in a while we might catch a falling star and make a wish....What's your wish for the night?

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Not sure if this helps, but it's as close as I could get to showing the relationships of the landmarks, within the state.

The maps each added a bit of information.  Especially helpful to me was the last one with SLC, Bryce, and Zion.  Somehow, Bryce and Zion were harder to locate spatially than that wonderful map did for Lake Mead.  Now, sometime perhaps I shall figure out their relationship to the Grand Canyon.  (Besides flying over, I did travel cross country in a van once and we touched several of these areas, but had too much ground to cover in too short a time to do any of them justice.  Still, some vivid memories.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Pepper, thanks for building the fire tonight, although it's 99 degrees at the moment, here! :smileyvery-happy:  I love to just sit around a fire, watching the flames, and glancing up at the night sky to see those 'billions' and billions of stars shining down on us.  Once in a while we might catch a falling star and make a wish....What's your wish for the night?

The temperature range here yesterday was 61F to 68F!  It turned cold in a hurry!  I used a heated throw last night.

My astronomy lesson over breakfast this morning was the Night Sky -- "shooting stars" and all!  I always wish for "peace", although sometimes different places or situations than others.  Somehow the vastness of a night sky does that for me.  (A dark night sky is one of the things I still miss, living in suburbs, as I have for so many years now.)

Do you remember which kind of robin or bluebird you captured for us in your earlier post?  A couple of us here recently did a jigsaw puzzle of state birds and flowers while we were on vacation for a week and we were fascinated by all the varieties of bluebirds and robins that are designated state birds.  (Yes, I am indeed inclined to drag information and learning into any situation. :smileysurprised:  Glad you have enjoyed some recent tidbits.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

http://www.1856.com/

It was suggested to me yesterday that if our caravan heads east, it ought to consider a stop here at the Steamboat Arabia Museum in Kansas City! 

The video under "Museum Information" takes a bit, but it tells and expands upon most of the story I was told.  Steamboats like this were apparently on the Missouri and the Mississippi Rivers large versions of the peddlers wagons that traveled across land.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Western Blue Bird and Scrub Jay

KathyS wrote:

Pepper, you've given me much to see on this trail drive, and I'm enjoying all of the wonders, and new and interesting information.  Everything from building fires, which I didn't know about, and the prairie dogs, and birds.  It's fun taking a trip with you, you find out so much about everything!  I hope you're enjoying it as much as I am.  :smileyhappy:

About The Western Bluebird

Western BluebirdThe Western Bluebird is a delicately charming long-winged but short-tailed bird commonly seen in open woodlands and pastures in the West where old trees provide nest spots. Normally 6 to 7 long, the male Western Bluebird has a deep cobalt blue hood, upperparts and throat. It has a rusty red breast and a crescent mark across its upper back. Its belly and undertail covert wings are grayish white. The female is less colorful with brownish gray hood and breast and flanks with a chestnut hue. Its wings and tail are a dull blue and it has the prominent white eye ring common to thrush birds of which it is actually a member. The young Western Bluebirds are similar to the female but usually have pale rusty, not grayish, throat. The average Western Bluebird weighs around 24 to 31 grams.
Click to learn more About The Western Bluebird

Or, you may see a California Scrub Jay ---

Western Scrub-Jay Range Map

Western Scrub-Jay Photo

"The “blue jay” of dry Western lowlands, the Western Scrub-Jay combines deep azure blue with dusty gray-brown and white. The rounded, crestless head immediately sets it apart from Blue Jays and Steller’s Jays. These birds are a fixture of dry shrublands, oak woodlands, and pinyon pine-juniper forests, as well as conspicuous visitors to backyards".
I remember these darn birds!  I'd go outside to hang up the laundry on the clothes line, and they would swoop down as if they wanted to attack you!  I assumed there was a nest near by, and I was NOT allowed to come within a determined distance of it.  Such a nuisance!

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

As far as I can figure out, the Western Blue Bird (Sialia mexicana) is NOT a state bird, although it certainly reminds me of one in the puzzle we did.  But, I don't have the puzzle here to compare and the lists tell me that it is the Mountain Blue Bird (Sialia currocoides) that is the state bird of Idaho and Nevada and the Eastern Blue bird (Sialia sialis) for New York and Missouri.

This page has pictures of all three types, but it provides the same Latin name for both Western and Mountain Blue birds -- the Latin name supplied above I got from a site linked to the one you used, Kathy:

http://www.all-birds.com/Bluebird.htm

Anyway, that Western Blue Bird is a pretty little thing!

Lists/pictures of state birds:

http://www.all-birds.com/state-birds.htm

http://www.50states.com/bird/

KathyS
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

As far as I can figure out, the Western Blue Bird (Sialia mexicana) is NOT a state bird, although it certainly reminds me of one in the puzzle we did.  But, I don't have the puzzle here to compare and the lists tell me that it is the Mountain Blue Bird (Sialia currocoides) that is the state bird of Idaho and Nevada and the Eastern Blue bird (Sialia sialis) for New York and Missouri.

This page has pictures of all three types, but it provides the same Latin name for both Western and Mountain Blue birds -- the Latin name supplied above I got from a site linked to the one you used, Kathy:

http://www.all-birds.com/Bluebird.htm

Anyway, that Western Blue Bird is a pretty little thing!

Lists/pictures of state birds:

http://www.all-birds.com/state-birds.htm

http://www.50states.com/bird/

Pepper,

I'm not a real 'bird-watcher', in general, but I do enjoy looking at birds and wondering what they are. I see a lot of quail around here, even in my front yard.  But, I never do research, per se.  The hummer is probably the exception, as far as watching extensively, it's one of my favorites. I have selected plants in my yard that flower just for them, and I've taken hundreds of pictures of these little birds in all positions of flight and sitting, I even have one on her nest.

They're fascinating to watch, and  they once inspired me to write poem about them.  :smileyhappy:  At the Wild Animal Park, there is an area at the entrance where you pass through a 'holding room' for hummers.  You can stand and watch a million varieties of them. 

I also love butterflies.  One year, at this same Park, they had a butterfly exhibit, where you became one with hundreds of different butterfly species.  If you stood still, hold out your hand, you would have one on your fingers, or you shoulders, or head, within minutes.  I had one sitting on the edge of my glasses!  Such exceptionally delicate and beautiful creatures!

And yes, I thought that little blue bird was so pretty, and because it was indigenous to the western states, that's why I posted it.  I don't think I've ever seen one in person, though.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Waylaid By Pathogens

I'm so sorry that I had to drop out of the trip without leaving word.  I was having so much fun in Vegas, too much fun actually.  When I got pretty darn sick.  I had a very bad time of it and had to be seen by a doctor at The Spring Vally Hospital in Vegas.

The doctor was very nice and told me a caught a 24 our stomach bug and just needed to rest for a bit.  When I got back to the room I slept off and on for a day or two and I'm just now getting to the point I feel like a human being again.

Hopefully I will be able to rejoing the trip once I'm back to full strength.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I'm so sorry that I had to drop out of the trip without leaving word.  I was having so much fun in Vegas, too much fun actually.  When I got pretty darn sick.  I had a very bad time of it and had to be seen by a doctor at The Spring Vally Hospital in Vegas.

The doctor was very nice and told me a caught a 24 our stomach bug and just needed to rest for a bit.  When I got back to the room I slept off and on for a day or two and I'm just now getting to the point I feel like a human being again.

Hopefully I will be able to rejoining the trip once I'm back to full strength.

Ryan, I'm so sorry you've been sick!  I have a feeling you ate at one of those all night buffets off the strip...so I made you some chicken noodle soup.  I hope it helps your tummy.  :smileyhappy:

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Hopefully I will be able to rejoing the trip once I'm back to full strength.

Bird of paradiseget well balloons2
Ryan -- Hope you are feeling better and can be back with us soon!  That chicken soup Kathy sent looks good!

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thank You Kathy & Pepper.  I'm feeling like I'm getting back on my two feet now.  Thank you so much for the soup, Kathy, it was exactly what I needed to regain my strength.

I hope to rejoin you both soon.  I just need to get repacked and into the mindset of seeting out on the trail again.  I'm looking forward to it.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

(Running in - boots sliding)  What a busy two weeks!  I am so glad to be back on the trail ride.  Beautiful night and I brought some special dark chocolate for the s'mores.  Great pictures of Bryce Canyon, my daughter and her family visited several parks and monuments in Utah and they thought Bryce was by far the best. 

Ryan, I'm so glad you're feeling better.  Don't worry, we'll wait for you.

Sweet Dreams.

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Inspired Correspondent
Camoena
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive

I'm back!  Or I've finally arrived!  Or something!

Tonsillitis + Sinus Infection + Upper Respiratory Infection + Asthma = Really Friggin' Sick

Yeah, I haven't even felt up to checking the boards.  I don't think I've checked anything at all online, except for my e-mail to see if anything came of a transfer application I put in at the hospital.  I'm still not feeling so great, but I figured since it's the weekend now and I can sleep as much as I please tomorrow, I'd pop in for a bit.

Weather here hasn't been too terrible...at any rate, we've not had a day over 100 degrees for a couple weeks now!  There for a few days our highs were in the low 80's and it was glorious!  I'm ready for cold weather.  As nerdy as it may be, I really love being able to wear my pea coat and sweaters and scarves and argyle socks.  And I live in Texas, so I'm really not even sure why I have 6 or 7 scarves.

As beautiful as the west has been with Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon and the Four Corners (thanks for all the pictures by the way; I looked through them and they're amazing!), I second the motion to move east!  I think we should swing by Boston at some point.  I went there for a psychology conference in college, and I absolutely loved it there.  We could always plan a visit to the Harvard Campus...eat some fresh seafood...visit some old churches...and I'm all for a trip to Quincey Market!  (If it's at all persuasive, there is a Godiva Chocolatier in Quincey Market.)  I also saw on Food Network once that there's a place in Boston that has a chocolate buffet.  Sounds like heaven.

I'm about to go take my narcotic cough medicine and head to bed.  Sweet dreams, everyone!

'A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.' --Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive

Camoena wrote:

I'm back!  Or I've finally arrived!  Or something!

Tonsillitis + Sinus Infection + Upper Respiratory Infection + Asthma = Really Friggin' Sick

Yeah, I haven't even felt up to checking the boards.  I don't think I've checked anything at all online, except for my e-mail to see if anything came of a transfer application I put in at the hospital.  I'm still not feeling so great, but I figured since it's the weekend now and I can sleep as much as I please tomorrow, I'd pop in for a bit.

Weather here hasn't been too terrible...at any rate, we've not had a day over 100 degrees for a couple weeks now!  There for a few days our highs were in the low 80's and it was glorious!  I'm ready for cold weather.  As nerdy as it may be, I really love being able to wear my pea coat and sweaters and scarves and argyle socks.  And I live in Texas, so I'm really not even sure why I have 6 or 7 scarves.

As beautiful as the west has been with Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon and the Four Corners (thanks for all the pictures by the way; I looked through them and they're amazing!), I second the motion to move east!  I think we should swing by Boston at some point.  I went there for a psychology conference in college, and I absolutely loved it there.  We could always plan a visit to the Harvard Campus...eat some fresh seafood...visit some old churches...and I'm all for a trip to Quincey Market!  (If it's at all persuasive, there is a Godiva Chocolatier in Quincey Market.)  I also saw on Food Network once that there's a place in Boston that has a chocolate buffet.  Sounds like heaven.

I'm about to go take my narcotic cough medicine and head to bed.  Sweet dreams, everyone!

You poor thing!  Sounds like you're having a terrible time shaking that infection! 

As a kid, I had my tonsils out, too many infections.  I'm prone to bronchitis, with asthma too.  Then, as an adult, I had surgery on my nose, turbinate removal on one side and correcting the deviated septum.  My breathing has never been better, and no more sinus infections!  I have to say, though, it was the last resort, since they couldn't give me any more antibiotics that would cure the last sinus infection.  It's an in and out surgery, and about a weeks recovery...they said that they couldn't guarantee it would solve this problem, but it did, and I've been years free now to breath!  No side effects, no problems.

http://www.ent-consult.com/turbinatesurgery.html

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/tc/repair-of-a-deviated-septum-septoplasty-surgery-overview

It sound great, visiting the Boston area.  Yummy, too! That's were my family is from, and I'll be anxiously awaiting our visit.  My daughter was there this year on a business trip, and she loved it!  Now she's a Red Sox fan!  I have to laugh, she said it had the best clam chowder she'd ever eaten!

I think when you're feeling up to it, we'll go there....we'll wait for you!  In the meantime, we'll head to Kansas.  Not that it's my favorite state, but Pepper posted some info on it, and Ryan lives there!  He can show us around, if he can.  My x-husband's family were from Chanute, Kansas, and I have visited a time or two.  Not all good memories!  We were traveling in our trailer, with a two year old, and we had a tornado warning that night!  At another time, I had the worst asthma attack....Anyway, we'll get to Kansas in a bit.  In the meantime, Camoena-----we all will wish happy thoughts for you!

Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

harleyhoney wrote:

(Running in - boots sliding)  What a busy two weeks!  I am so glad to be back on the trail ride.  Beautiful night and I brought some special dark chocolate for the s'mores.  Great pictures of Bryce Canyon, my daughter and her family visited several parks and monuments in Utah and they thought Bryce was by far the best. 

Ryan, I'm so glad you're feeling better.  Don't worry, we'll wait for you.

Sweet Dreams.

Nancy

Honey, so glad you could join us-----Sliding in on boots and all, lol.   And it looks like everyone put on their boots just for the occasion, too!

Yummy....more s'mores!   I Love S'mors!!  Can never have enough of those...although, I'm a milk chocolate fan, myself...  never have figured out the attraction to dark chocolate...too bitter for me...I need all the sweatin' I can get!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Kansas!

Peppermill wrote:

http://www.1856.com/

It was suggested to me yesterday that if our caravan heads east, it ought to consider a stop here at the Steamboat Arabia Museum in Kansas City! 

The video under "Museum Information" takes a bit, but it tells and expands upon most of the story I was told.  Steamboats like this were apparently on the Missouri and the Mississippi Rivers large versions of the peddlers wagons that traveled across land.

Well, wagon train members, and all, it looks like Kansas is on the map for today.  I've just finished washing up the pots and pans from breakfast and lunch, as everyone has headed to points of interest.  I'll join in as soon as I get my boots on, and saddle up my little horse.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Kansas stock yards!

As we drive the wagons by the stock yards in Kansas, we might need something to help alleviate the smell. 

Inspired Correspondent
Camoena
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Well, wagon train members, and all, it looks like Kansas is on the map for today.  I've just finished washing up the pots and pans from breakfast and lunch, as everyone has headed to points of interest.  I'll join in as soon as I get my boots on, and saddle up my little horse.

Please, let's stay away from that tornado!  (Does anyone else find the juxtaposition of the tornado and the rainbow in that photo kinda weird?)  I vote yes to the sunset, though.

I went to Kansas City for a conference in college.  We drove, and it was forever to be stuck in the same van as this other girl in my department who hated pretty much everyone.  My first look at Kansas were blackened field.  I guess they'd been doing some controlled burns, so it wasn't terribly pretty.  Still, had a great time in Kansas City!  And the barbecue was great!  Fact: several barbecue menu items are called different things in Kansas than they are in Texas.  Made for interesting ordering.

I, for one, am off to find some museums.  Ciao!

'A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.' --Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

whatsthis

Kansas is celebrating 150 years of statehood in 2011.  I wonder what those white pillars are -- I don't recall having seen them before.

Here is the State Web Site with all its factoids

Musical video of highlights of a Sesquicentennial Celebration.

The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz by Frank Baum

The Wizard of Oz (Oz Series #1) 

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz 

The Wizard of Oz

John CurryKansas capitol

Other John Curry murals in the State Capitol at Topeka.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Kansas Museums

Kansas Museum

Finding a good Kansas museum is easy, as the state is full of them. As one might imagine, there are plenty of museums in Kansas that revolve around history, as the state boasts a storied past. While some of the history museums here offer insight into past events and key personalities, others focus on the state's natural history. You can also visit a Kansas museum that offers exhibits on salt processing, or take some time out to learn about greyhound dogs and the history of greyhound racing. Some of the museums in Kansas are more peculiar than others, and it is safe to say that there is a museum in Kansas for everyone. It's part of what makes Kansas such a great vacation destination!

The Kansas Natural History Museum is one of the top museums in the land, and you'll find it on the University of Kansas campus in Lawrence. The Kansas Natural History Museum is housed in Dyche Hall, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is the university's signature building. The exhibits here revolve primarily around biological diversity, and they cover both past and present. Some of the Kansas Natural History Museum exhibits, such as the insect collection and the mammal collection, were moved to a new building that you can find on the west side of campus. College campuses are definitely a good place to find a quality Kansas museum, and the Spencer Museum of Art is just one more museum that deserves some of your time when you find yourself on the University of Kansas campus.

Since there are so many different kinds of museums in Kansas to choose from, finding one that interests you won't be a problem. Among the more unique museums in the state is the Wichita Museum of World Treasures, which can be found in the city's Old Town area. You'll get to view things like dinosaur fossils and Egyptian mummies at the Wichita Museum of World Treasures, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Ancient weapons, authentic signatures from famous European Kings and Queens, and sports artifacts that relate to names like Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan are among the other interesting things that you can see at the Wichita Museum of World Treasures. Heading due west of Wichita's Old Town, you'll eventually come to the hub of the city's museums. These museums, which can be found along the Arkansas River, include the Wichita Art Museum, which is the largest Kansas museum, and the Exploration Place Discovery Center, which offers museum exhibits that focus on space exploration and science. Another excellent space and science museum can also be found in Hutchinson, which is just 60 miles northwest of Wichita. You'll also find the Underground Salt Museum in Hutchinson, which you might want to toss on the agenda as well.

The Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center in Hutchinson is one of the top attractions in southern Kansas. In addition to housing the second-largest collection of U.S. space artifacts in the country, the Cosmosphere in Kansas also houses the largest collection of Soviet space artifacts outside of Moscow. It also boasts an IMAX theater and offers summer space camps that are a joy to experience regardless of your age. Any budding engineer, astronaut, or scientist will feel right at home at the Cosmosphere and Space Center. As for wildlife enthusiasts, heading north to Salina to visit the Rolling Hills Wildlife Adventure Museum is always a good idea. This wildlife museum is large at 64,000 square feet, and it offers some unique exhibits that focus on the balance of nature in different regions of the world. As alluded to before, there are museums in Kansas to satisfy everyone in the group.