Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Grand Canyon, here I come! ---after coffee and breakfast.

Peppermill wrote:

I see you had to get your own (breakfast)!  Sorry 'bout that, Kathy.

'Tis time to consider lunch here, in fact, a little late at 1:12 EST.

Now that you have the sleep/sand out of your eyes, hope the day is a good one.  Personally, have little motivation to move on today -- will make it one to potter around the camp and let the horses graze.

horses grazinghorses grazing 2grey horse  Let's see, who said they had a pretty grey?

conestoga waggons

Not quite sure to where our oxen have wandered off.

(Gads, I've been on this computer all morning...bantering with a complete stranger on Face Book!  Long story....what a fun character he is!) 

I just looked in the mirror, and boy do I look tired!  I'm gonna need a make-over!

Yes, it's time for lunch!!  Even after that big breakfast, I'm still hungry!  I must have worked up an appetite, cleaning the camp....and chasing a darn mouse out of my wagon!

Glad you put the horses out to graze...I've lost track of time.... I must get dressed, seriously!! 

We need to pull out of here before nightfall!  I'm glad you found the Ox...the others must be around here someplace, they couldn't have wandered far.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Grand Canyon

[ Edited ]
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Grand Canyon - Mule Ride!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Grand Canyon - camp by the Colorado River

Setting up camp by the Colorado River, at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, just hanging out, listening to the river run around the bend, and the birds chirping in the trees.  Nothing fancy for dinner tonight.  Steak, fries, salad, wine and dessert.  Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H1_rCrwsuE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWFplrkN1a0&feature=BFa&list=PL02C1FACBADFE49B4&lf=plpp

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Grand Canyon - camp by the Colorado River

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Grand Canyon - Reflections along the Colorado River

-----all this water and looking at this river, made me think of VW last night, and this morning...morbid thoughts, and reflections-----  

http://prosetryinmotion.blogspot.com/ 

What is Beauty?

Beauty only goes so deep.  How deep, you ask, as deep as one allows, until ugliness takes a firm grip.  It oozes, and drips, and seeps, until it has revealed to you its worth.  What is its worth, you ask, it says, nothing, nothing at all, in its silence that mortifies the living, and assaults the dead.

KathyS wrote:

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KathyS wrote (excerpt):
Beauty only goes so deep.  How deep, you ask, as deep as one allows, until ugliness takes a firm grip.  It oozes, and drips, and seeps, until it has revealed to you its worth.  What is its worth, you ask, it says, nothing, nothing at all, in its silence that mortifies the living, and assaults the dead.

What is beauty all about?  Ugliness?
Have you ever picked up Eco:
History of Beauty and On Ugliness Boxed Set  
I have it, haven't completely read either, can't summarize for you Eco's message, if there is one.  But I find the conterpoint compelling.
But have been reading Plato recently, where beauty, justice, and truth get all bundled in a single sentence.  But, as someone who, when I work my way through those questions someone compiles for family histories, always stumbles when I encounter the question who in your family was considered a great beauty, I have long struggled with the place of beauty in our lives.  Diane Arbus has always spoken to me on the subject, with her pictures of the deformed and marginalized.
I do also know that when I compile a list of what I would name as the top ten values in my life, I include "beauty" among them -- I haunt art galleries; love gardening, the great outdoors; love a home in greater order than I usually manage to keep mine; stand in awe before great architecture; enjoy music, particularly classical; admire personal beauty in people, in animals; ....
But, confrontation with the reality and meaning of ugliness still needs a voice, a writer, additional artists, that I am not certain I have found -- sometimes it seems it needs to be a message of acceptance (a la Arbus); other times it is a message of be alert, of alarm (as of waste or of illness); still others, a message of differences (cultural malformations); perhaps sometimes a personification of evil or decay, ...  But most of all, I need someone to articulate ugliness being a part of being; of not necessarily bearing a message of repugnance.  Perhaps occasionally being a call to action, sometimes a call to reflection.
Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Peppermill wrote:

KathyS wrote (excerpt):

I have it, haven't completely read either, can't summarize for you Eco's message, if there is one.  But I find the conterpoint compelling.
But have been reading Plato recently, where beauty, justice, and truth get all bundled in a single sentence.  But, as someone who, when I work my way through those questions someone compiles for family histories, always stumbles when I encounter the question who in your family was considered a great beauty, I have long struggled with the place of beauty in our lives.  Diane Arbus has always spoken to me on the subject, with her pictures of the deformed and marginalized.
I do also know that when I compile a list of what I would name as the top ten values in my life, I include "beauty" among them -- I haunt art galleries; love gardening, the great outdoors; love a home in greater order than I usually manage to keep mine; stand in awe before great architecture; enjoy music, particularly classical; admire personal beauty in people, in animals; ....
But, confrontation with the reality and meaning of ugliness still needs a voice, a writer, additional artists, that I am not certain I have found -- sometimes it seems it needs to be a message of acceptance (a la Arbus); other times it is a message of be alert, of alarm (as of waste or of illness); still others, a message of differences (cultural malformations); perhaps sometimes a personification of evil or decay, ...  But most of all, I need someone to articulate ugliness being a part of being; of not necessarily bearing a message of repugnance.  Perhaps occasionally being a call to action, sometimes a call to reflection.
Pepper

Pepper, I do love what you have to say to this.   And there is still much to say.... The word love is a primary substance/subject to what I write, over and over and over again in my prosetry.  i can't get enough of that word, but last night I couldn't feel that love, at all, or if I did, it was overcome with the negative feelings coming out of me in the form of ugliness.  I do struggle to understand my feelings. 

I was in a horrid mood last night, when I wrote that, and felt the ugliness in myself.  I felt the ugliness of VW's death at those moments, how people view what she did, her abandonment of me, and I wallowed in my self pity at those moments....ugly self pity for feeling a loss I couldn't explain.  I tried to talk it through with what I wrote on my blog a little while ago, within my reflections......Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow.

I can never explain, fully, what I feel at those times, in regards to VW.  They're unfathomably deep inside of me, and God only knows how they got there, and what I'm supposed to do with them.  I can only reach inside of myself....only write what I can, and cry the other half of the time when I can't. 

And yes, I think (if I'm to be used as an example) there is an ugly part in all of us that most can't put into words, to become vulnerable to within a touching distance, of an eye of its beholder.

Thank you, again, and again....

Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

KathyS wrote (excerpt):

I have it, haven't completely read either, can't summarize for you Eco's message, if there is one.  But I find the counterpoint compelling.
Pepper 

Pepper, you talk about putting values on things such as beauty, and you name some of these things you value.  I see the same things, and when I see, or hear, these beautiful things, I wonder what else is there, inside....to see these things, before they became beautiful.

I don't always see things in the same light.  As an artist, I see many values that can surround an object, whatever name you put to it.  A piece of beautiful architecture, I imagine how it was built, how many hands went into the making of this beauty.  It wasn't always beautiful.  I don't really think the opposite of beauty is ugly.

I hear a voice sing, and know how much work went into that purity.  But, it had to croak first.

The admiration we have for the gifts that are given to so many people, to do the things they do, naturally.  Natural beauty, or as VW was classified as, a natural born writer.  These things should hold with the same values, but they don't. 

i guess we are both saying that ugliness can be part of the same things as beauty, and who's to say that the meanest person in the world can't hold a baby's hand with a gentle touch.  Maybe it can be good and evil, as some might view it.

I've had people try to pin me down on this subject, among others:  what constitutes good, and/ or evil.  How does beauty hold up when on occasion seen as ugly.

It's all part of the construct of the world, and to see it's images...who's to say, and who's to know, and who can define in the purist senses of the words what any of us sees?  I certainly can't.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

http://www.louvre.fr/llv/oeuvres/detail_notice_popup.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673236500&CURRE...

See if this link works.  It talks about the controversy over the painting "The Raft of the Medusa"

"Géricault's Raft was the star at the Salon of 1819: "It strikes and attracts all eyes" (Le Journal de Paris). Critics were divided: the horror and 'terribilità' of the subject exercised fascination, but devotees of classicism expressed their distaste for what they described as a 'pile of corpses,' whose realism they considered a far cry from the 'ideal beauty' incarnated by Girodet's Pygmalion and Galatea (which triumphed the same year). Géricault's work expressed a paradox: how could a hideous subject be translated into a powerful painting, how could the painter reconcile art and reality?.... "

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Sorry I'm so late for the trip.  I've just been bogged down with work and getting Aidan back into the school routinge.  Looks like I missed a lot of fun.  I haven't been to the Grand Canyon in years and I would love to get back there.  A nice long raft ride down the river sounds so good right now.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Just this evening, my email had a link to this location with 35 glorious pictures of the Grand Canyon!  Serendipity at work.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Peppermint wrote:

http://www.louvre.fr/llv/oeuvres/detail_notice_popup.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673236500&CURRE...

See if this link works.  It talks about the controversy over the painting "The Raft of the Medusa"

"Guerrilla's Raft was the star at the Salon of 1819: "It strikes and attracts all eyes" (Lee Journal De Paris). Critics were divided: the horror and 'territorial' of the subject exercised fascination, but devotees of classicism expressed their distaste for what they described as a 'pile of corpses,' whose realism they considered a far cry from the 'ideal beauty' incarnated by Girder's Pygmalion and Galatea (which triumphed the same year). Guerrilla's work expressed a paradox: how could a hideous subject be translated into a powerful painting, how could the painter reconcile art and reality?.... "

Yes, it worked.  I don't recall ever seeing this picture before.   I may have, I just don't remember every painting I've seen.  I've visited the Louvre, but I would have loved to spend days there, by myself, not with two other couples who wanted to go in nine different directions, when I simply wanted to stand, stare, and absorb what was in front of me at those moments.

I'm assuming you're illustrating contradictions in how people see things.  This picture is a good example. 

You have the art of an artist, vs societal views.  I see a beauty in this painting, depicting a realism that describes the life in these circumstances.  But to certain eyes, it's seen as cruel, hopelessness.  These eyes by these viewers were accosted.  Their sensibilities were assaulted.

When I look at paintings like these, I see the eyes in the faces of these subjects the artist painted.  I see how the bodies are positioned. The darkness of these colors, the Chiaroscuro (disambiguation). reference....and the action and movement of the waves as it rocks the raft. These are movements which say so much more to what the feelings are of these people, and are translated without words spoken.  Your heart goes out to them.  When you can illicit feelings from your viewer, whether good or bad, you know you've accomplished something you intended.  And there will be many artists and many viewers giving opinions over the centuries. So much emotions, it's heart rending to view this. 

Again, these periods of time in history, usually always dictated to an artist what was expected of them in their drawings or paintings.  And when an artist goes outside of that box, becomes the rebel artist,  they are naturally looked upon with criticism. 

Today, In this day and age of art, there isn't much of anything that hasn't already been shown...I see so many digital variances of pictures now, and to incorporate them within a painting is a new theme.  I've always loved mixed media, and with the new technologies, we see more and more of these....but, back to what is beautiful, and what is ugly.....

When I look at the Grand Canyon, for instance...since we're here...:-)  I try to see a beauty in them, not what they went through from years and years of torrential raging water, tearing these cliffs apart.  I know what it took to make these sides shine to us, so we can appreciate what nature offers. But, it's not always beautiful, as when these hurricanes and tornados bring damage to structures and involves human life and death situations.

In these Canyons, do we see the torn earth of its history, or do we see the beauty of the colors revealed to us, as in the end result by nature?  The sun shines, a rainbow is seen from the clouds during a rain storm in the distance....

When either painting, or with photography, there are many sides to see by both artist and viewer.  So much to be seen, if one stands still long enough.

As I've said many times, I may not like a Picasso, and view some at first glance as ugly, but as I can appreciate what it took to see what he saw, and paint those images, I no longer see the ugliness of what these pictures represent.

I'm not sure where I intended to go with any of what I started out to say in the grand scheme of things..... but it comes down to observation, education, thinking, and discussions, which can all give a perspective to anything you care to view.  The good, the bad, and even the ugly.  :smileyvery-happy:

I'm tired of thinking...time to turn in.  Happy trails.

Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Just this evening, my email had a link to this location with 35 glorious pictures of the Grand Canyon!  Serendipity at work.

Wow, Pepper, these pictures were grand and glorious!  They filled my whole monitor!  And made me cry...so beautiful.  How interesting they came today!  And no, I don't believe in coincidences.  Thank you for bringing them here to us!

Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

Hey, Ryan...glad you were able to show up for this trip!  Good to see you again!

We're just getting started, so come along and let us know what you'd like to see...show us where you want to go.  Participate any way you can, I know I'd love to have you back with us, whoever us is these days...trying to resurrect this board.

We're not  following and guidelines, in the "old" language of before, unless you consider cowboy/girl talk a language!  Ha!  I might laps into that from time to time.  We actually started this over on the Fiction board, were Mountain Muse began a thread, I sort of got into a wagon train mode of travel, and it took off from there....we kind of got carried away, but I thought it'd be fun to continue over here....since that's what this board was invented for in the first place.....or at least I thought we could continue here, and Pepper has been great coming out to play with me, so I haven't been all by myself...just me, my horse, and I....:smileyvery-happy: 

Well, it's getting late, and I'm pooped....long day, time to turn in.  Good night all!  See you in the morning on the trail!

Kathy

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Great meditation on beauty/ugliness, Kathy.

Thanks for using your writerly skills to give voice to some of the nuances.  I think it is a wonderful subject to stay alert towards.

Pepper

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Las Vegas

[ Edited ]

Since we're so close, I think I'll head to Las Vegas for the holiday weekend.  Nothing like walking the strip at night, seeing some shows, and taking in the good food and drinks, too!

In  the morning, I'm taking the wagon train to Hoover Dam, then kicking back to do some fishing from a houseboat on the river.  The horses will be stabled near by.

Las Vegas Buffet's are renowned!  Pull your wagon in!

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Las Vegas

Vegas is the way too go.  I may just have to stop in and visit some friends that live there.  I should bring the new book I just bought with me

Cat in a Vegas Gold Vendetta (Midnight Louie Series #23)  

Of course I'm going to have to stay at The Venetian hotel.

Venetian Hotel Vegas

Maybe I can meet a really cute gondolier!

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

The Great Trail Drive - Las Vegas - Writers and Readers - Allert

[ Edited ]

I ran across this........for all of you budding writers out here in the south west, take a look.......http://site.hendersonwritersgroup.com/Writing_Contest.html

Submissions for the 2012 Student Writing Contest will be accepted from September 1, 2011 to November 30, 2011.  All middle school, high school and college students residing in the southwest region (Nevada, Arizona, California, Utah, New Mexico and Colorado) are eligible.

What to Submit:
Submit one edited work of fiction or nonfiction (including poetry) of 4,000 words or less.

Prize Awards:

Middle School Student Awards:
1st Place Fiction: $300 US Dollars
1st Place Nonfiction: $300 US Dollars

2nd Place Fiction: $200 US Dollars
2nd Place Nonfiction: $200 US Dollars

High School Student Awards:
                1 (one) full Las Vegas Writers Conference admission 

1 (one) Saturday-only Las Vegas Writers Conference admission
                1 (one) Saturday-only Las Vegas Writers Conference admission

College Student Awards:

And for all you readers out there who are interested in books that are set in Las Vegas, here's a list from Goodreads

http://www.goodreads.com/places/1194-las-vegas-nevada

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Trail Drive - Las Vegas - Heading to Hoover Dam

[ Edited ]

It's raining this morning, off and on, and what a great thing to hear on my wagon's canvas roof top to wake up to!  The temp is 69, and welcome!  I made a giant breakfrast burrito to share with you all.

And a pot of refried beans.

and cute little fruit cups

and not to forget the coffee, something special this morning.....for each of you.....

Enjoy your breakfast, and I'll see you later at Hoover Dam.  If the rain lets up, we'll do  a little fishing on the river, hopefully to catch some fish for dinner.  Enjoy!