Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G

Re: The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia

To All Nobles of Wordsmithonia,

I just finished enjoying the wonderful show that our court jester was gracious enough to perform.  Now I know some of you have been disappointed that the jester no longer wears clown makeup and in fact tends to resemble a Rolly Polly.  I apologize for that, but as you know coulrophobia has been running rampant throught our fair land so I was forced to banish such displays from the realm.

During the performance I came upon a great idea.  I purpose that we hold a contest amoungst ourselves to come up with the best haiku poem.  The contest will commence on the evening of 3/22/09, entries should be posted between the hours of 3:00 pm and 12:00 am.  Each haikus shall be seperate posts and the entry with the most laurels by midnight wins.  The winner will recieve our admiration and the title of Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.

Now if no one is intersted in this royal contest please say so.  That way I won't be horribly dissapointed when no one posts their entries.

By My Own Hand,

Scribe King Ryan of Wordsmithonia

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
KathyS

Haiku Contest: Place Poems here: (Definition as follows)

Haiku - A Definition

Many gifted English haiku poets have written definitions of the English form of haiku. The definition below is derived directly from the definitions that I have read and from my own limited experience in writing and reading haiku.

Haiku is a minimalist form of poetry. The writer has 17 or fewer syllables through which to convey an experience. Here's an example of a translation of one of the Japanese Master Issa's haiku. In English, it has 9 syllables.

reed warblers
sing the great river
still

Issa

Since the early 1900s, there has been a great increase in the number of English language haiku poets [or haijin, to use the Japanese term]. Because English is so different than the Japanese language, and because so few people now live in 'pure nature' the English form has evolved in its own way. When you read about haiku elsewhere, you will learn that there is a good deal of controversy about what an English haiku is -- what it’s content may be and how it is formed.

Haiku Content:

The content of a haiku is typically, but not always, focused on what a person witnesses in everyday life that is more outstanding or important than normal, something deemed worth reaching for in written expression. The something can be auditory--a bird call, or visual--light glistening on water, or a human sentiment--a fleeting infatuation, or a memory associated with something seen, heard, felt. Some argue that a haiku must contain an obvious reference to a season and must be nature focused, but at least half the English language haijin do not have a nature focus. After all, for the most part we live in cities, not the rural Japan of several centuries ago when the haiku form was invented by a monk named Basho.

The content of a haiku might be about a everyday, but noticable event, or about an awe-inspiring experience, or about a transformational experience--an epiphany or special insight. Part of writing haiku is finding the 'awe' that is usually passed by without notice--the act of creating a haiku is the act of a focusing our attention more closely than we might otherwise do.

Haiku Form:

English-Language haiku is incorrectly said to have a prescribed form, three lines of 5-7-5 syllables and a seasonal reference. However, there is a great deal of debate about the form of English haiku and few agree that the 5-7-5 season reference form is the only acceptable form.

What then is the form of a haiku? Some of the critical aspects of haiku form that have been mentioned are:

• brevity [one to three lines totaling 17 syllables or less]
  • three lines -- some would insist of 5-7-5 syllable structure, some suggest a structure of three lines with 5 or less, 7 or less, 5 or less syllables.
  • when read aloud, can be completed in one breadth
  • avoidance of traditional English poetic forms, such as rhyming and metaphor.
  • juxtaposition … two elements or lines of the haiku indirectly relate to a third.
  • descriptiveness ... haiku describe, they don't prescribe or tell.

Besides brevity, I have come to believe that the juxtapositional element of a haiku is one of its most important aspects. For example, Issa's haiku above might seem to simply be about birds singing and a river scene. However, rivers don't stand sill. So, what's going on? Of course, Issa can no longer speak for himself, and that leaves us to speculate. I think he meant that a bird song can make the world stand still--completely capturing our senses. I might be wrong, but that speaks to a critical aspect of a good haiku. They encourage you to see the world differently, to think about what has been written.

Haiku Purpose: Why Bother Writing Haiku?

Haiku also has purpose: communication and awareness. Along with other forms of writing and poetry, it is a vehicle for conveying feelings, sentiments, impressions, perceptions to other persons.

Haiku writing is a form of meditiation, starting with an intensification of 'noticing' what is going on in the everyday world, followed by the practice of mental writing--creating haiku in the mind and playing with the form and rhythm until it feels right--and finally putting the haiku to pen and paper - writing and rewriting the haiku. I wrote the following haiku after a walk in river valley near my home. the stream was flowing slowly and noiselessly, the birds were quiet, the breeze was too slight to make a sound in the leaves, and suddenly a mallard called to his mate with that sound that is so unique to mallards.

midday hush
the rasp of a mallard
calling his mate

Ray Rasmussen
pubished in Heron's Nest, 2004

A key point if you are interested in starting to write haiku poetry is to make a decision about the form you will practice, how often you will practice and whether you will seek instruction or companionship in your haiku journey. These are the subjects of the links “getting started” and “haiku clubs”.

If you would like to learn more about the definition of English Language haiku, simply search the internet with the key terms: Haiku, definition, and you will find numerous references. If you don't find them, add the names George Swede or Jane Reichhold to your search terms. In addition, visit the pages of the World Haiku Club which has excellent resources on haiku and haiku related poetry.

~ Ray Rasmussen

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: Haiku Contest: Place Poems here: (Definition as follows)

Thank you Queen Mother for the information.  I will admit to being a little intimidated now by the idea of writing a haiku by Sunday.  I do think it will be fun and interesting to see what others come up with though.  So anyone interested in doing this please either let me know or post what you compose on Sunday.  I look forward to reading what everyone does.

King Ryan (the rest of it is getting to long to write) :smileyhappy:

KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My son, this is a wonderful idea, but what would the time zone be, for those who come from far and wide to participate in this contest?

I would also wonder, because you, myself, and your sister, are the principle rulers, we would not be participating in this contest?  But you are in charge of this Noble contest, and it is your wise judgement that I rely on to decide the rulings.

Please advise.

QM

Ryan_G wrote:

Edit:  I came upon a great idea.  I purpose that we hold a contest amoungst ourselves to come up with the best haiku poem.  The contest will commence on the evening of 3/22/09, entries should be posted between the hours of 3:00 pm and 12:00 am.  Each haikus shall be seperate posts and the entry with the most laurels by midnight wins.  The winner will recieve our admiration and the title of Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.

Now if no one is intersted in this royal contest please say so.  That way I won't be horribly dissapointed when no one posts their entries.

By My Own Hand,

Message Edited by KathyS on 03-20-2009 08:38 PM
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Mother, I was thinking Central Time Zone, but I admit it is of selfish intent since that is where I reside.  If many of our Nobles have a issue with that I am willing to consider a different time zone.  As far as who can participate I think you and my sister should be able to participate.  I may submit one, but not to be voted upon.  I don't think I shall vote though since my vote is worth two laurels. 

As far as subject matter, I think that should be left up to the participant to decide.

King Ryan

KathyS
0 Kudos

Rules for the Haiku Contest

Ryan_G wrote:

Mother, I was thinking Central Time Zone, but I admit it is of selfish intent since that is where I reside.  If many of our Nobles have a issue with that I am willing to consider a different time zone.  As far as who can participate I think you and my sister should be able to participate.  I may submit one, but not to be voted upon.  I don't think I shall vote though since my vote is worth two laurels. 

As far as subject matter, I think that should be left up to the participant to decide.

King Ryan

That time zone is fine.   Subject matter should be respectful.  I would also advise that each poem be titled, and placed in the Message Subject line to make it easier to distinguish the poem from general chatter.  Is it just one poem that you would like, or as many as one person would like to submit? 
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: Rules for the Haiku Contest

[ Edited ]

I think that putting the title of the poem in the Subject line would be a great idea.

The subject matter restriction is fine as well.  We are all mature and intelligent individuals, we shall expect a certain level of respect and honor from our Nobles.

Since the contest is for the best haiku not the best poet I think it would be ok for Nobles to submit as many as they like.  Each haiku needs to be a seperate post though, that way the voting is for each individual haiku.

Scribe King Ryan

KathyS wrote:
That time zone is fine.   Subject matter should be respectful.  I would also advise that each poem be titled, and placed in the Message Subject line to make it easier to distinguish the poem from general chatter.  Is it just one poem that you would like, or as many as one person would like to submit? 

Message Edited by Ryan_G on 03-20-2009 10:56 PM
Message Edited by Ryan_G on 03-20-2009 10:57 PM

Bibliophile
Melhay

Ryan_G wrote:

I was much pleased by what I saw when I returned to court today from my travels in other parts of the realm.  It is always a pleasure to see new members of our illustrious court let alone two.  So the first buisness of the day is the appointment of titles and duties for our new members.  I will list the name, title, and duties as I did previously:

Lady Melhay, Marquessa of Tar Valon --- Overseer of our sizeable Dollhouse of espionage agents, dominion over all ogre, kobold, and unicorn activities, regulates all uses of the elements

Dame Nadine, Grand-Dame of Arakkis, Duchess of Medalon --- Overseer of all kingdom insitutions of learning, Admiral of the Royal Fleet, dominon over Roc, Gryphon, and Pegasus activities

I did give long and careful consideration to the conversion of frog to man question.  After talking to our Royal Alchemists and Royal Magicians I have come to the following conclusions.  There are only 3 ways that a frog may be turned into a human.  They are as follows:

1.  The kiss of a virgin Princess or Prince, whichever they prefer.  Of course finding such a willing individual will prove the hardest of the three tasks.

2.  The frog must prove his worth by undertaking a must dangerous quest.  He must frst forge a weapon from materials not of earth, fire or water.  Once that task is complete he must travel through the Swamps of Despair into the Canyons of Echoes.  In the Canyons he will be faced with three tasks.  The first is a riddle that can only be answered through silence, the second is a mirage that can only be discovered by air,      and the third is challenge that can only be answered by love.  Once he has completed all      three tasks he will discover the location of the Foul Beast of Xueoulzy.  He must travel      to this location using neither feet or wings.  Once there his only task will be to slay the      Foul Beast using the weapon he forged using neither earth, fire, or water.  Once this is     done he will become the man he so desires to become.

3.  Die and be reincarnated as a human.

Those are the only three options available for such a creature wishing to be human.

By My Own Hand,

Message Edited by Ryan_G on 03-20-2009 06:10 PM

Scribe King Ryan of Wordsmithonia,

I thank thee for seeing me.  It is a pleasure to see you again.  I do believe it has been a little while.

I have wondered the land of you kingdom and have seen the land looks lovely.  The peopl eof the kingdom have been very courteous and kind.  I will stay for a while if okay with thee. 

I do thank you for gracing me with a wonderful title bestowed upon me.  I do hope I will fullfill the position to your satisfactory. 

Lady Melhay

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Ryan_G

Lady Melhay,

Thank you for your curteous manner.  It is well becoming of a noble of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  I forgot to mention that though you have your holding of Tar Valon to look after, you and all the others have a suite of rooms in the palace to stay in when you don't feel like making the journey home.  I'm sure you will do a excellent job with the duties you have been assigned.

I look forward to having many conversations with you as I assure you so do the others of our realm. 

I hope you plan on participating in our Haiku contest, I think you will have no problems composing some gems that I assume we will all appreciate.

If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate on calling on me, my mother Dowager Queen Kathy, or my sister Scribe Princess Deb.

By My Own Hand,

Melhay wrote:
Scribe King Ryan of Wordsmithonia,

I thank thee for seeing me.  It is a pleasure to see you again.  I do believe it has been a little while.

I have wondered the land of you kingdom and have seen the land looks lovely.  The peopl eof the kingdom have been very courteous and kind.  I will stay for a while if okay with thee. 

I do thank you for gracing me with a wonderful title bestowed upon me.  I do hope I will fullfill the position to your satisfactory. 

Lady Melhay

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I shall try King Ryan, but I am a bit challenged in this area. I applaud the idea, brilliant as usual. Perhaps you should extend the length of time of the contest. Weekends are a bit slow, but we have many a great writer on these boards that I hope will participate. Maybe half a fortnight and a seperate thread so others know. Perhaps we could even open it up to Republicans! As always, I will bow to your judgement.

Ryan_G wrote:

I just finished enjoying the wonderful show that our court jester was gracious enough to perform.  Now I know some of you have been disappointed that the jester no longer wears clown makeup and in fact tends to resemble a Rolly Polly.  I apologize for that, but as you know coulrophobia has been running rampant throught our fair land so I was forced to banish such displays from the realm.

During the performance I came upon a great idea.  I purpose that we hold a contest amoungst ourselves to come up with the best haiku poem.  The contest will commence on the evening of 3/22/09, entries should be posted between the hours of 3:00 pm and 12:00 am.  Each haikus shall be seperate posts and the entry with the most laurels by midnight wins.  The winner will recieve our admiration and the title of Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.

By My Own Hand,

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Ryan_G

Rule Change for Haiku Contest

My dear sister, after careful consideration of your concerns I have decided to extend the entry submission time.  Entries can be submitted from 3:00 pm CST on Sunday 3/22/09 until 12 Midnight CST on Wednesday 3/25/09.

Thank you for showing concern for your fellow nobles by bringing this issue to my attention.  Since I am so busy on weekends on sometimes forget that others tend to stay on their country estates and don't return to our court until the weekdays.

By the way sister of mine, I have all the faith in the world that you will be able to submit some fine examples of haiku.

Your Brother,

Scribe King Ryan

debbook wrote:
I shall try King Ryan, but I am a bit challenged in this area. I applaud the idea, brilliant as usual. Perhaps you should extend the length of time of the contest. Weekends are a bit slow, but we have many a great writer on these boards that I hope will participate. Maybe half a fortnight and a seperate thread so others know. Perhaps we could even open it up to Republicans! As always, I will bow to your judgement.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Lady Melhay,

I hope you plan on participating in our Haiku contest, I think you will have no problems composing some gems that I assume we will all appreciate.

By My Own Hand,

King Ryan,

I have not been of forunate to be graced with the touch of the poet.  My writing is usually a story of a far a way land.  I will participate in the challenge of the Haiku.  I do pleasure in a good challenge of the mind.  I will attempt to produce a worthy Haiku along with the others here.

Lady Melissa

KathyS

Coulrophobia - Rolly Polly and dragon problems

[ Edited ]

My dear son,

I know of this fear of yours.  After taking you to the many jester's performances [thinking they would bring cheer to you after your cousins had taken your friends, the two headed dragons, away from you].  But then, having to console you as a child throughout the night, by singing to you, being the only way to soothe you into sleep, I had thought you had found away around that fear.    As you know, Emmet Kelly has been a part of our realm for as long as the jester has performed this tribute to him.

I am so sorry you still retain that fear, and last night I finally realized, after keeping us both from sleep, the change to these faces of these court jesters, to not resemble the clown faces you so fear, is imperative to save your face from shame.  But, I had not realized this had gotten to be within the range of epidemic proportions around the realm.

I have spotted these Rolly Polly friends of yours on the castle grounds this week, during one of my sleepless nights, and was wondering what their purposes were to our realm.  I see this reasoning now.  Also, I spotted Choisya's cat, Cleo.  She has been making a slight nuisance of herself, digging up the rose garden, in hopes of finding the salmon remains that were mulched into and round these beautiful roses of mine, by our gardening staff, last week... these Rolly Pollys have brought with them, from your last excursion to the northern reaches of our realm, Alaskrania, a wonderful feast for all, but you must keep these Rolly Pollys in check, as they do get into a bit of trouble with the dragons that wander through the fields at night.  Raucous and off color shouts can be heard through the cracks in the castle walls.  More sleepless nights.  I am sure you will make everyone conserned, aware of this problem?

[Coulrophobia is an abnormal or exaggerated fear of clowns. The term is common, but it does not appear to be used in psychology.[1]

It is common among children, but is also sometimes found in teenagers and adults as well. Sufferers sometimes acquire a fear of clowns after having a bad experience with one personally, or seeing a sinister portrayal of one in the media. A design study carried out by the University of Sheffield found that children are frightened by clown-themed décor in hospitals.[2]

Coulrophobia can also be said to extend to a fear of covering up one's face with paint - the idea of hiding recognisable features under a layer of facepaint can also unsettle coulrophobia sufferers.]

Sleep well,

Your Queen mother

Ryan_G wrote:

By My Own Hand,

Message Edited by KathyS on 03-21-2009 09:10 PM
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Lady Melissa,

I am quiet sure that you will be able to come up with a wonerful example of haiku that will dazzle us all with the beauty and truthfullness.

Scribe King Ryan

Ryan_G

Re: Coulrophobia - Rolly Polly and dragon problems

[ Edited ]

Mother,

I have tried for years to overcome my fear of Emmet Kelly and his ilk but I am unable to shake it.  What has alarmed me is the growing epidemic throught the kingdom, especially in some of the far flung areas of the realm.  I have had a polite conversation with Mr. Kelly (out of makeup of course) and have explained to him the problem.  He has agreed to take his tribe to the Island of Arlecchino of the southern coast.  We both agreed this was a reasonable solution to the prolem, isolate the source of the coulrophobia epidemic but allow those who don't suffer from the ailment a place to enjoy the frivolity that Mr. Kelly and his ilk provide.

As far as Lady Cleo is concerned I have spoken to both Lady Choisya and Maneki Neko about the Rose Garden issue.  They have both assured me that it will not happen again.

I just finished speaking with the chief of the Rolly Pollys, Unc Nunkie.  I have instructed him to let his people know of the dragons that roam throught the land during the evening hours.  He told me that they already know of the creatures and that in fact they have befriended some of the friendlier ones.  I was told that they have taught some of the dragons to play draughts.  I also told him to make sure the Rolly Pollys tame their language around the palace grounds.  He assured me over a cup of kofia, that they will in fact do so.

By My Own Hand,

Scribe King Ryan of Wordsmithonia, Your Loving And Faithful Son

Message Edited by Ryan_G on 03-21-2009 11:33 PM

KathyS

Thank you, my loving and faithful son, for taking the time to take care of these issues. 

I know it is time consuming for you to deal with these minor problems that occur throughout the land, but your sister, Princess Deb,  has been under the weather as of late, dealing with a bad case salmonvanillainfluenza, we are thinking.  The doctors had at first thought it something else, treating her for foot fungalosous, but realized, after applying the cream of tartar sauce, it was something much worse that befell from her head, to her nose to her toes.  She is in self imposed isolation at this time, but should be well enough tomorrow to get up and about, and attend to her duties. 

Would I might ask of you one last favor for the night, before I retire?  Would you please send in your friend, Dragoon Monestrial Melvin, the two headed dragon, to light my evening fire?  He does it so well.  Without stricking a single match, he saves us so much wood in making these matches.

As making these matches requires more trees to be cut in our forests.  Mickey and Goofy, the woodcutters, are relieved that they now do not have to cut more trees for our matchbook.com company.  They are so overworked, although paid exceptionally well, but being paid with the realms currency of Mungo Beans, has caused some concern.

They are truly the best in the countryside, as woodcutters go, but are so tired of eating Mungo Bean soup, Mungo Bean stew, Mungo Bean pie, Mungo Bean cereal, morning, noon, and night, they are so full of beans, they waddle around holding their breath, afraid to cough or sneeze.  It will be of a great relief for them to slow down their work schedule, to say nothing of the residule effects that we know even one Mungo Bean can cause in this realm of close quarters of this castle.  We all thank you for this small consideration.

Your loving mother,

Duchy of HP

Inspired Contributor
Choisya

Re: Another Award.

[ Edited ]

Dear Rulers of Wordsmithonia

I am taking the awesome liberty of writing to you from Over the Pond to compliment you all upon the exemplary governance of your Kingqueendom. Seldom in the history of Wordsmiths has such a fair and just land been seen - and all without a Constitution, except the excellent ones you have yourselves.

I recently took it upon my umbleself to drop a pebble into the Pond in the hope that the ripples would create waves which carried the news of your success far and wide, Yea! even unto the Queen of England herself, so that news of your illustrious Kingqueendom, and all who scribe in her, would be entered into the annals of the ancient history of English Kingqueendoms. I have since been informed by a Royal Corgi (who sent Barkings to Princess Debs' Dogs) that you will all shortly be invited to a Royal GardenHat Party. There you will receive the Order of the BathGarter, an ancient an honourable award entitling you to eat as many thinly cut salmon and cucumber sandwiches in the bath as you wish whilst wearing a garter. 

I look forward to joining you all in the Mall on the appointed day. (NB: Frogs are not allowed into Buckingham Palace for fear love-starved Princesses might kiss them and thereby create Princes who might usurp the throne.)

I am 

Your Umble Savant

Choisya

UK

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-22-2009 03:55 AM
Ryan_G

To My Most Graicous Mother, Her Royal Highness Dowager Queen Kathy:

I gladdens my heart that you found my solutions to the problems satisfactory.  I actually enjoy taking care of the small details.  It reminds me of being the Prince that I once was.  Making sure that the people of my realm are taken care of is my greatest concern.

I spoke to my sister last night and she assured me that she is starting to feel much better and that she plans to attend court as soon as she is feeling up to it.  I am sure she has been taking this time to come up with some brilliant examples of flowing and eloquent haiku.

I do hope I sent Melvin to you quickly enough last night.  I know that your rooms can get a little drafty and that a warm fire quickly takes care of the night chills.

I was unaware of the distress over Mungo beans that our good servants, Mickey and Goofy were feeling.  I am most displeased at the situation and have already instructed our Royal butcher Sam Franklin to provide them some of the finest cuts of Kobe beef, porkloin, and spicy sausages on weekly basis.  I do hope this will be satisfactory to them.

By My Own Hand,

Bibliophile
Melhay

Ryan_G wrote:

Mother,

I just finished speaking with the chief of the Rolly Pollys, Unc Nunkie.  I have instructed him to let his people know of the dragons that roam throught the land during the evening hours.  He told me that they already know of the creatures and that in fact they have befriended some of the friendlier ones.  I was told that they have taught some of the dragons to play draughts.  I also told him to make sure the Rolly Pollys tame their language around the palace grounds.  He assured me over a cup of kofia, that they will in fact do so.

By My Own Hand,

Scribe King Ryan of Wordsmithonia, Your Loving And Faithful Son

Message Edited by Ryan_G on 03-21-2009 11:33 PM

Queen Kathey S. and King Ryan,

I have just received word of the Dragons around the city.

I do want to appoligize.  My close friend and guardian of my family, Kinya (who adopted my family), was looking over the city the other night.  She did not mean to cause any harm or disturbance to the city.  She had thought the city was beautiful and had to have a better look, she had thought that night time would be less obvious to the people.  She has to stay in hiding for the fear of people who don't accept her.

I have spoken with Kinya and she will be more cautious and aware of what she does in new lands.

Again I do appologize.  Please also accept Kinya's appology.

Lady Melissa

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

King Ryan,

Are us villiagers aloud to join in this contest for nobles?

Good luck to all,

Carmen

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson