Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

Re: The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia

I can officially join the club, as of two seconds ago I was promoted to a wordsmith :smileyvery-happy:lol!!!

Carmen

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: God only knows what

[ Edited ]

Ryan_G wrote:

The sun sets and the silver moon does rise

as the world of light dies.

The silver glow of the moon hides,

creatures of the nights as they tell their lies

They taks no notice of the abandoned tower

as they slither about in the shadows for cover.

They take to the air and hover

in breathtaking awe and wonder.

As the night comes and goes,

the creatures cry "alas" and "woe."

They scurry back into their holes

as it starts to sleet and snow.

Ryan, King of Wordsmithonia

I like this song/poem who wrote it? Or did you write it, if so it's beautiful.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 03-27-2009 10:58 PM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G

Lady Carmen,

I am most pleased for you to being joining our illustrious ranks.  Now to the annointing of titles.

Lady Carmen, Baroness of Dinotopia --- protects and preserves all prehistoric creatures still living within the boundaries of the realm, controls and regulates all instruments of scrying, fortune telling, farseeing, etc., regulates all forms of air travel

Once again, welcome to our noble ranks Lady Carmen.

By My Own Hand,

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Ryan_G

Lady Carmen,

I'm afraid I must take responsibility for that piece of poetry, I wrote it as a young boy but my mother, Dowager Queen Kathy, put it to music to sing me to sleep.  There are two verses before those three, but I must admit I don't remember them as well.  They weren't all that good to begin with.  It's just this beautiful sleet made me recall that particular part.

By My Own Hand,

carmen22 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Scribe
debbook

Re: Garden Hat Party

Dear Unlady Choisya, please note that I will be attending the party and will be accompanied by my 2 noble hounds (though QMummy said they must stay at home). I will require a large suite away from the party as I frequently need to nap and do not wish to be disturbed.

My attire will consist of  flannel lounge pants, a pink tee declaring that I am a Princess, golf shoes and a garden smock made of silver sequins. I will of course be wearing my diamond tiara, necklace and bracelets made of coral and seashells. I will be carrying a pillow, royal purple of course. My dogs will wear simply handcrafted red leather collars and leashes, inlaid with tiny diamonds.

Please make sure no one else will be similiarly attired. this happened at the coronation of the King and it was most embarrassing. Thank you

Scribe Princess Deb, Duchess of Wordsville

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
KathyS

Ryan_G wrote:

Mother,

I have been sitting in my library by the fire reading a most excellent book, well trying to read anyway.  I find myself staring out the window more than anything.  For some reason it is sleeting on this side of the castle, has been for hours actually.  It made me think of the nursery song you would sing me as a baby.

They take no notice of the abandoned tower

I think there were verses before those last three, but I really don't remember them.  Anyway I think I'm am going to call Madame Ceja to bring me some tea as I sit here and contemplate this rather lovely book I'm reading.  That is if I can stop staring out the window.

Your Son,

Wonderful, my son!  I knew you had the poet inside of you! :smileyhappy:  I almost forgot that song I sung.  So many years ago!  Enjoy your tea.  By the way, what book are you reading tonight?

I was just now watching the weather news, and I see that the sleet IS hitting your side of the castle, and on mine, will be a lovely 80 degrees tomorrow!  So many weathers around our castle grounds!

Time to turn in. I need to think of something to wear for the party next week.  I've been so scattered lately with this headache!  And I still have a letter to write to Lady Melissa, concerning our dragons meeting.  I'm remiss in my correspondence!  Please tell you sister that our butler will soon be down to his all, if she doesn't hurry up and get me our letterhead stationary soon.

Lovingly,

Qmummy

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Your Highness Princess Debbook

Thankyou for the note of your Attire, which I have passed on to Her Majesty's Palace Gate Equerry.   Your costume is splendid, appropriate and will, I am sure, remain unique now that it has been made public.  Your Hounds will be welcome and will be accommodated in the Royal Corgi Enclosure.  Please remind them to treat the Corgis with due deference for fear of The Tower!  I have asked the Butler of the Bedchamber to ensure that you have a quiet room away from other guests, overlooking the tranquil ornamental gardens and ponds.

Ever Your Friend and Ally

Unlady Choisya. 

debbook wrote:

Dear Unlady Choisya, please note that I will be attending the party and will be accompanied by my 2 noble hounds (though QMummy said they must stay at home). I will require a large suite away from the party as I frequently need to nap and do not wish to be disturbed.

My attire will consist of  flannel lounge pants, a pink tee declaring that I am a Princess, golf shoes and a garden smock made of silver sequins. I will of course be wearing my diamond tiara, necklace and bracelets made of coral and seashells. I will be carrying a pillow, royal purple of course. My dogs will wear simply handcrafted red leather collars and leashes, inlaid with tiny diamonds.

Please make sure no one else will be similiarly attired. this happened at the coronation of the King and it was most embarrassing. Thank you

Scribe Princess Deb, Duchess of Wordsville

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Weather & Silvery Moons

[ Edited ]

Dear Queen Mother of Wordsmithonia

Your mention of snow and sleet reminds me to tell you and other Wordsmithonians that the weather on this side of the Pond is forecast to be wet and windy on Wednesday April the First and so I suggest that you all carry transparent capes to put over your costumes, so that they are not obscured from Her Majesty, the Papparazzi or your Admiring Public.

Your mention of a silver moon reminded me of this poem by Walter de la Mare:- 

Slowly, silently, now the moon
Walks the night in her silver shoon;
This way, and that, she peers, and sees
Silver fruit upon silver trees;
One by one the casements catch
Her beams beneath the silvery thatch;
Couched in his kennel, like a log,
With paws of silver sleeps the dog;
From their shadowy cote  the white breast peep
Of doves in silver-feathered sleep;
A harvest mouse goes scampering by,
With silver claws and a silver eye;
And moveless fish in the water gleam,
By silver reeds in a silver stream.

Until our next meeting I remain

Your UnLady Choisya. 

KathyS wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Mother,

I have been sitting in my library by the fire reading a most excellent book, well trying to read anyway.  I find myself staring out the window more than anything.  For some reason it is sleeting on this side of the castle, has been for hours actually.  It made me think of the nursery song you would sing me as a baby.

They take no notice of the abandoned tower

I think there were verses before those last three, but I really don't remember them.  Anyway I think I'm am going to call Madame Ceja to bring me some tea as I sit here and contemplate this rather lovely book I'm reading.  That is if I can stop staring out the window.

Your Son,

Wonderful, my son!  I knew you had the poet inside of you! :smileyhappy:  I almost forgot that song I sung.  So many years ago!  Enjoy your tea.  By the way, what book are you reading tonight?

I was just now watching the weather news, and I see that the sleet IS hitting your side of the castle, and on mine, will be a lovely 80 degrees tomorrow!  So many weathers around our castle grounds!

Time to turn in. I need to think of something to wear for the party next week.  I've been so scattered lately with this headache!  And I still have a letter to write to Lady Melissa, concerning our dragons meeting.  I'm remiss in my correspondence!  Please tell you sister that our butler will soon be down to his all, if she doesn't hurry up and get me our letterhead stationary soon.

Lovingly,

Qmummy

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-28-2009 05:58 AM
Inspired Contributor
Choisya

Re: The DisArmoury

[ Edited ]

Our Beloved King wrote: 

I find the enthusiasm you have for your duties absolutely brilliant.  I am most pleased to know I put such a capable person in charge of our magical weapon armoury.    PleAse be advised you have my complete permission to organize, dispose of, or aquire any weapons you see fit.

Beloved King 

I do hope that due regard will also be paid to acquiring Weapons of Peace, such as a Dovecote of White Doves for communication purposes, some Silver Tongues, Shaking Hands and Friendly Hugs.  And perhaps the weapons in the Armoury could gradually be replaced by latex or magical ones such as those used by magicians.  That way many of your enemies could be sawn in half or made to disappear  without any harm being done.  If  your kingdom's army were trained in these techniques they could become Invincible!  

Your Unlady Savant

Choisya. 

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-28-2009 06:44 AM
Scribe
debbook

Enclosure??!! I think not!! My Royal hounds will run free. This is most upsetting. I suppose QMummy told you about how they dug up all the Mungo Beans and then tracked mud through the castle! She just does not understand them. Yes, the King's sacred garments were muddy and torn, but it was all in good fun. They are free-spirited. I'm sure all the guests at your party will find it amusing to have mud on their costumes and to have food stolen from their hands. And my hounds so look forward to playing in the coy pond. I hope your Unladyness will be able to accomodate my wishes. I wouldn't want there to be an international incident.

Choisya wrote:

Thankyou for the note of your Attire, which I have passed on to Her Majesty's Palace Gate Equerry.   Your costume is splendid, appropriate and will, I am sure, remain unique now that it has been made public.  Your Hounds will be welcome and will be accommodated in the Royal Corgi Enclosure.  Please remind them to treat the Corgis with due deference for fear of The Tower!  I have asked the Butler of the Bedchamber to ensure that you have a quiet room away from other guests, overlooking the tranquil ornamental gardens and ponds.

Unlady Choisya. 

Scribe
debbook

KathyS wrote:

Lovingly,

Qmummy

Dearest brother, I have sent QMummy the stationary, she just refuses to use it because it is chewed at the corners. I think it adds a personal touch.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Dear Princess Debbook 

I am afraid dogs are not allowed to run free in Her Majesty's Kingdom - not even Royal corgis.  They could be arrested by the Police and impounded at the Battersea Dog's Home which is a very sad place, full of unclaimed and unwanted dogs:smileysad:  Also, her Majesty has to bear in mind that some of her guests may be afraid of dogs or that a Diplomatic Incident could be caused if they touched the food, clothing or person of certain guests whose religions forbid such contact.  The Royal Corgi Enclosure is very large and I do not think your Hounds would feel unfree.

I do hope that your Hounds will understand that things are different in Foreign Countries and will agree to play in the Enclosure with other dogs, of which there will be quite a number owned by other guests similarly restricted. 

Your Friendly Savant

UnLady Choisya.

debbook wrote:
Enclosure??!! I think not!! My Royal hounds will run free. This is most upsetting. I suppose QMummy told you about how they dug up all the Mungo Beans and then tracked mud through the castle! She just does not understand them. Yes, the King's sacred garments were muddy and torn, but it was all in good fun. They are free-spirited. I'm sure all the guests at your party will find it amusing to have mud on their costumes and to have food stolen from their hands. And my hounds so look forward to playing in the coy pond. I hope your Unladyness will be able to accomodate my wishes. I wouldn't want there to be an international incident.

Choisya wrote:

Unlady Choisya. 

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

King Ryan, 

What an honor it is to be working with such wonderful animals!!! I was wondering if I could take Felis the Smilodon, Bitsy the HyracotheriumIris the Uintatherium and Sam the Woolly_Mammoth out for a stroll? As you may know they eat alot and it would not be wise for me to go through the village, I'm not sure I could keep them from snacking whether it be your lovely gardens or the Gardener. I am sure that you know of the perfect place for such a stroll in your wonderful Kingdom!!

I also wanted to let you know that your Pearl the Flying Carpet has been dusted, repaired and will be ready in time for your trip to the Garden Hat Party.

Most important of all there must be an evil force at work in your kingdom because my fortune telling abilities don't seem to be working. Or maybe I'm on AM instead of FM I will keep trying but so far nothing!!!

Lady Carmen

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

King Ryan,

Well your mother must be so proud to have such a wonderful poet for a son!! I just hope her singing does the poem justice.  LOL~~

Lady Carmen

Ryan_G wrote:

Lady Carmen,

I'm afraid I must take responsibility for that piece of poetry, I wrote it as a young boy but my mother, Dowager Queen Kathy, put it to music to sing me to sleep.  There are two verses before those three, but I must admit I don't remember them as well.  They weren't all that good to begin with.  It's just this beautiful sleet made me recall that particular part.

By My Own Hand,

carmen22 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Hey Raven (or Anybody)

I saw on here somewhere that you like Terry Pratchett right? Well I was at BandN today and it was Terry overload like over 20 books crazy lol!! I didn't really have the time to stay as long as I would have loved  to go through them but when you have a child it's kinda hard to stay longer than 30 min lol. So what I'm getting at is if you could maybe help me by giving me like a starting place maybe your top five or something I would love to give him a go!!

Thank you

Carmen

KathyS

Letterhead stationary

My darling daughter,

Yes, I had received the stationary, and thank you, but it wasn't so much the chewed edges this time that bothers me, it was the dog slobber that trailed across the sheets, that is the major issue.  Water marks are water marks, and these are definately not the water marks that should be on my stationary.  The texture of the paper from these raised welts, are making it difficult to put pen to. The ink bleeds across these sheets, like water down a river running through it!

I'm now using the pantry maids aprons, at least they are white, and starched flat with great care.  By using my candle wax crown stamp on the fold, they are looking more official.  And even with a few stray threads after cutting the apron, they are better than the pant cuffs off the butler's white trousers, and the brown bags, and the chewed and slobbery stationary you keep handing me to use.

If you cannot leave your hounds in your room while you shop, please let me know, and I will go into town and pick up my order myself.  I am calling the stationers right now.  On second thought,  I will go. I need to pick up my gowns and travel wear, from the Smithsonian Haberdashery, Inc..  They are also making my hat, and my apron to cover my gardening wear, as well. 

I shant want them to be torn to shreds, and covered in mud, by the time they arrive in my hands.  I know you love your hounds, but listen to Unlady Choisya.  She has told me of what you have said, and what is necessary for you to do to prevent an international incident. 

You do remember what happened two year ago, when your beloved hounds ran loose, into the townships to the east?  Never have I seen such termoil and madness, as we went to find Snorky and Dorky, that cold rainy morning. 

All of these strangers, gathered in the square in their night wear, throwing raw eggs!; Tea and crumpets were slung at us, slathering the horses;  Jam covering our royal carriges, as we drove our unsuspecting steeds into that town!  Never in my life have I seen our carriages so deocorated in breakfast fare!  With an about face, we shot back out into the open fields, only to find, lined on both sides of the road, villiagers yelling at us, "DOWN WITH THE HOUNDS, DOWN WITH THE HOUNDS! And only this past year, have these people started to forgive us for what your hounds had done to their shops and homes, that cold rainy day.

What can I say?

Learn, my dear daughter, from your past mistakes. 

We can't exactly swim the Pond, when the Kingdom of England starts throwing  fruits and vegetables our way,

now can we?

Your loving

QMummy

debbook wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Lovingly,

Qmummy

Dearest brother, I have sent QMummy the stationary, she just refuses to use it because it is chewed at the corners. I think it adds a personal touch.

Ryan_G

Lady Carmen,

Since those are your charges, you can take them for strolls as often as you want.  Please do be aware of the smurfs, pixies, stickmen, and others of our realm who are of a smaller stature.  I would not want to explain to Smurfette why little Nat got trompled by Iris.  I know you are more than aware of the situation, but my duty requires me to reming you.

I do most appreciate you getting my carpet ready for the trip.  Feeling the air against my face as we cross the Atlantic will be most enjoyable.

By My Own Hand,

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Dogs, Dogs, and More Dogs

My Dear Sister,

I must insist that if you bring your loveable, adorable dogs on the trip that you do so in a respectful manner.  If the gardening shoe was on the other foot, we would require Her Royal Higness the Queen of England to abide by our rules concerning our four footed friends.  Myself I have not decided if I am bringing both of my beloved Irish Wolfhounds or not, I am brining Mazrim since he will not leave my side.

I know you will come to the right decision.

Your Loving Brother,

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi

I am pleased to  announce that I have successfully entered the kingdom of Wordsmithonia. Boy, those walls are high and difficult to scale!  But, I managed to make it past the guards whilst they enjoyed their tea and biscuits! 
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Dear Princess Debbook 

I am afraid dogs are not allowed to run free in Her Majesty's Kingdom - not even Royal corgis.  They could be arrested by the Police and impounded at the Battersea Dog's Home which is a very sad place, full of unclaimed and unwanted dogs:smileysad:  Also, her Majesty has to bear in mind that some of her guests may be afraid of dogs or that a Diplomatic Incident could be caused if they touched the food, clothing or person of certain guests whose religions forbid such contact.  The Royal Corgi Enclosure is very large and I do not think your Hounds would feel unfree.

I do hope that your Hounds will understand that things are different in Foreign Countries and will agree to play in the Enclosure with other dogs, of which there will be quite a number owned by other guests similarly restricted. 

Your Friendly Savant

UnLady Choisya.

Dear Unlady Choisya

was that after those corgis bit yet another foreigner? Cause there is so much footage of those dogs biting people all time, even her highness. Not afraid of her dogs but this former colonist knows how to bite the dog back.