Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Re: Madame Veronica/Victoria

I am planning a Masquerade Balll..for my family and business associates,I have a vast network of only the Finest in all the land..I am requesting your assistance with the Menu..cook is not familiar with certain fare.We are so picky we are driving her to her grave.Her ungrateful son is so hateful,he just wants to inherit her wealth.Must have my loyal staff keep an eye on him..so handsome,he is...BUT EVIL..You can't see me but I am around,VV  Do not Fear me...,Droplets of Blood are on your gate    
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G

Madame Veronica/Victoria,

I was greatly dissapointed that you did not show up for our meeting.  As I am sure you are already aware of I can take the to mean only one thing.  That you are in fact the evil, twined clone of my mother, Dowager Queen Kathy.  I also have to conclude that you were trying to enter the realm through deciet and lies.  I have sent Verita Senso Mages to all border crossing and check points.  They in addition to the dragons will make sure that no imposters enter the realm.  I wish you had come to us in a more direct manner.  Perhaps if you had this situation would not now be happening.  Regarding the blood on the gates, I can only take that as a threat to myself, my mother, my sister, and my realm.  I will handle that threat in anyway I need to.

By My Own Hand,

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

KingRyan, I will consult with my Guardian,Lord Perifeather,he has been like a father to me..I know that he has information that the family will find useful..He would like to schedule a meeting with you,not your"Mother"...my tears are flowing,I miss you and shall also consult with my astrologer Madame Cleo...let us know when your absense from the Kingdom will allow you to feel safe to leave your Family in good hands,you must TRUST this person with your life!!!.You must trust me..I will always be veronica/Victoria 
KathyS

Blood everywhere!!!

My son, and daughter, I am feeling faint as I tell you this!

I was in the garden today,

mulching away,

and found my Periwinkles

with red on red sprinkles!

I touched one, then another

and almost fell asunder!

to my nose to inspect it,

seeing blood so infected!

My first thought was to see

my hands and arms of me

perhaps pricking a limb

with thorn through my skin!

But no scratches or pricks

from wood nor sticks! 

I picked up my garden tools, in my can and ran

towards the house, opening the inner gate, I ran, and ran, as fast as I can...!

I tripped and fell against more blood on outter gate's handle! 

O dear, O my, I sat on my can!

I ran, again, blinded of sight, 

to the kitchen's back door

I flew in fright! 

Gasping for air!

falling on my knees, 

I let out a great sneeze!

Burges our Butler came to my rescue!

"Madame?  Do you have the flu?"

What dolts we have working for us!

Couldn't he see I was in a bloody fuss!

To warm body, bones, and bum

I am now headed to my bath

please send me a cup of tea

laced in my favorite golden rum?

Ryan_G

Re: Blood everywhere!!!

Mother,

Though I am most deeply upset by your gardening accident, and hope the bath soothes you after such a trying experience.  I am much relieved to know that the blood on the gate had nothing to do with our diabolical relative.  I must say it does raise a question on how she knew about the blood though.  Her powers of farsight must have grown since last she was among us.  I will alert our Bllokuar Mages are at work keeping her from seeing into the realm.

Madmae Ceja is on her way with your rum laced tea now, relax and come see us when you are ready.

Your Loving Son,

King Ryan

Scribe
debbook

I knew there was a reason I do not garden. It is dangerous, very dangerous. Mum,you must take better care. Ask yourself, what would Princess Deborah do? Why, she would take a nap so I will nap also. It will keep you safe.

KathyS wrote:

mulching away,

and found my Periwinkles

and almost fell asunder!

my hands and arms of me

perhaps pricking a limb

from wood nor sticks! 

I flew in fright! 

Gasping for air!

falling on my knees, 

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
KathyS

Ryan_G wrote:

Mother,

Though I am most deeply upset by your gardening accident, and hope the bath soothes you after such a trying experience.  I am much relieved to know that the blood on the gate had nothing to do with our diabolical relative.  I must say it does raise a question on how she knew about the blood though.  Her powers of farsight must have grown since last she was among us.  I will alert our Bllokuar Mages are at work keeping her from seeing into the realm.

Madmae Ceja is on her way with your rum laced tea now, relax and come see us when you are ready.

Your Loving Son,

King Ryan

But, but, but, my son!  I did NOT have a gardening accident!  Except when I fell from fright!  But no blood came from me!  I tell you, the blood was all around where I stepped!  You told me this woman was capable of being invisible!  She threatened my beloved Periwinkles!  I saw the blood on the precious petals!  She talked of blood!  You showed me her letter, and she, herself, said she was daft! I believe her!  What does she talk about?  I do not understand her letters!  And don't tell me I'm hysterical!  I know what I saw!   Burges saw the blood, too, just ask him!  And don't tell me it's the rum talking, because I have not yet drunk a drop!

Give me some peace of mind, please?  Tell me you have put up the force around the castle tonight.  If we have to bring out The Hounds of the Baskervilles, then do it, and do it quickly before she finds her way into our chambers tonight!  If she allows dragons to have their way with her, she is capable of anything!   Our hounds will smell her scent, where our dragons smell nothing but garlic weed,  and Mungo Beans!

Take care!

I am going to sup my tea, now, and hide myself under the covers tonight, and only peak out from under to watch American Idol!  The music will soothe me.

Be careful, my son and daughter!  She will be after all of our souls!

QMum

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Oh my,Dear Sister..The periwinkles are infected with moose glue,which is fatal if you do not take The Potion that was left by the first back door on the left of the statue of the lion..Drink it slowly and you will live.....Oh darling will you ever forgive me,the periwinkle poison was meant for someone else .I will reveal the details at noon tomorrow,the note will be under the 4th milk can near your garden shed... We know how important the shed is to you,be well and follow my instructions.......VVV
KathyS

[ Edited ]

Holy Mother of Pearl! 

My daughter, you are as dolty as our butler!  Did you not read what V/V has said in her letters to your brother?  Did you not read the note I just sent to your brother?  Was the ink smeared so badly on that piece of brown paper bag, I use for stationary, that you could not read a word I said?

I said I was not hurt!  I did not cut myself!  This blood was left on my Periwinkles by that woman who is an imposter!  She left blood on the gate handle, as she said she would! It is a warning!   I tell you, a warning!!

Now, she slips a note under my bedroom door!  She wants me to drink a potion!!  What does she take me for, some embecile from outtermongolishstance?

Do something beside take a nap!  Never mind, I think you may have already been slipped her nighty-night cap potion! 

This has made me very distraught!

I'll speak with you in the morning!

QMUM

debbook wrote:

I knew there was a reason I do not garden. It is dangerous, very dangerous. Mum,you must take better care. Ask yourself, what would Princess Deborah do? Why, she would take a nap so I will nap also. It will keep you safe.

KathyS wrote:

mulching away,

and found my Periwinkles

and almost fell asunder!

my hands and arms of me

perhaps pricking a limb

from wood nor sticks! 

I flew in fright! 

Gasping for air!

falling on my knees, 

Message Edited by KathyS on 03-25-2009 07:29 PM
Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: Letter to Lady Melissa

Queen Mother,

I do regret not replying sooner to your note.  Kinya and myself have been to the outmost and further of the realm of late.  We have been trying to keep all the creatures appeased to reduce risk to the kingdom.  All seems well at our side of the realm. 

The new stationary of brown crinckly paper may just be the new trend of the time.  It does make eye catching pictures on the back side of the page once the ink has dried.  It is quite a stuning piece of art, which I now have hanging on the wall of my office.

Kinya and I await you message on when is available for King Ryan, Melvin, and of course your highness Queen.

I have just read the notes passed of your evil twin sister.  I do beleive there is a Wizard of science and magic around here, somewhere.  He may be able to help.  He may be able to strengthen the boundrys of your castle to help protect you and an amulet for yourself so it is safe for you to leave your lovely castle.  OR, and a big or, he may be able to come up with a way or concoction to save your sister after all these years, IF she is savable.  I will track him down and send him to you tonight for the protection.  Then in the morn when you awake and are fresh you may speak with him on your sister.

Stay safe and sleep well.

Lady Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Ryan_G

Mother, please calm yourself.  This is what our diabolical auntie wanted to do.  She wants to unsettle, and rattle us.  There is no way she can get in to the kingdom let alone the castle. I  called in Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, and Proffesor Xavier to investigate the garden.  They assured me that the blood was fake.  It was fructose corn syrup tinted with food coloring.  After careful investigation they discovered it was the remnants of a game of war that some of the children were playing.  I have already talked to Tom, Huck, and Pinochio and they are very sorry that the did not clean up their mess before you discovered it.

I also turned the letter over to them and Proffesor Xavier assured me that the letter was sent throug telekenisis from outside the realm.   He explained to me that our evil aunt was able to see through farsight the boys playing and the mess they left behind.  She also so what happened to you while your were in the garden, and her being the woman she is decided to use what she saw and try to get under our skin. 

Rest assured mother, that between our mages, dragons, and psychics they will be able to keep this woman out of our realm.  The most she can do is play these silly little games to try and unerve us.  What we need to do is ignore her like we wood a miniscule mosquito and hope she goes away.

Your Loving Son,

Ryan

Ryan_G

Haiku Contest Winners

To All of the Realm:

I would like to offer my warm regards to Lady Dulcinea our new Poet Laureat of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  I know she will represent us well in coming events.

I would also like to say goodjob to Madame Carmen our correspondent winner.  She will be give both the statue of Erato and the jade/mother-of-pearl laurel crown.

By My Own Hand,

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Giant Pandas

[ Edited ]

Beloved King

His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh is concerned that there is no news that Giant Pandas with Warts are also being kept out of your Kingdom?  He fears that he may be now disguised as a Sultan and might try to infiltrate the Royal GardenHat party with your delegation.   Please take all precautions as Giant Pandas with Warts are known to be extremely curmudgeonly, especially in areas where there are insufficient supplies of bambusa vulgaris.  Please be sure to scrutinise anyone suspicious persons seen in your Kingdom's Chinese restaurants, to whom such a dish might be served.  

Ever your Savant and Unladylike Choisya

Ryan_G wrote:

Mother and Sister,

I just arrived back from my meeting and I have some rather unpleasent news.  I don't want to say this but I fear our worries were valid.  I now have reason to believe this Madame Veronica/Victoria was in face your eveil twin cloned sister and our aunt.  She never showed up for our meeting, which leaves me with that conclusion.  I can only assume that she took my warning to heart and gave up her plans of entering the kingdom by subterfuge.  I know we thought this woman out of our lives forever, but alas she is trying to reinstate herself into our family.  I have notified the boarder dragons of her and am assured that they will have no problem keeping her out of the kingdom.  I have also instructed them to stop anyone male going by the name of Victor from entering the kingdom as well.  For I know our diabolical aunt idolized that must insidious singing nun who tried to infiltrate our borders before.  I have told them not to harm her, she is family afterall, but they are to keep her out.  If either of you have anymore insturcitons for me on how to handle this situation please let me know.

Your Loving Son and Brother,

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-26-2009 08:22 AM
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: Haiku Contest Winners

Ryan_G wrote:

To All of the Realm:

I would also like to say goodjob to Madame Carmen our correspondent winner.  She will be give both the statue of Erato and the jade/mother-of-pearl laurel crown.

By My Own Hand,

Thank you (bow) Thank you all (bow) what a lovely statue I will cherish it always!!!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
dulcinea3

Re: Haiku Contest Winners

[ Edited ]

Ryan_G wrote:

To All of the Realm:

I would like to offer my warm regards to Lady Dulcinea our new Poet Laureat of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  I know she will represent us well in coming events.

By My Own Hand,

My dear Sire,

The Honor with which I have been endowed is almost Overwhelming!  I umbly accept it and will Endeavor to be a Worthy Representative of our great Land.

I also offer my Congratulations to Madame Carmen on her great Accomplishment.

I would be Remiss if I were not to also note that Queen Mother Kathy and Princess Deb also submitted worthy Haikus which garnered as many Votes as the winning ones.  In fact, Queen Mother Kathy had Two.  Also, each of these worthy Royals had Multiple Haikus that received votes, unlike my Umble Self, who only had One, although I submitted a perhaps Excessive Amount.

I must admit that my Great Joy is not untinged by the Great Uneasiness I feel at the mysterious and unsettling Events now transpiring in our great Kingdom.  I even have my Suspicions that the Panda who has been seen skulking around the Wooded Areas of our Land is the Agent of the Questionable Lady, and has been sent her to sow Discord among us.  Perhaps it is their Evil Design to prevent the upcoming voyage to England to attend HRH's GardenHat Party.  How can we leave our Realm while it is in such Turmoil?  The absence of the Royals and preeminent Personages of the Kingdom would perhaps leave it open to a Nefarious Coup by these Usurpers.

Obeisantly Yours,

Dame Dulcinea

P.S.  I am especially Proud to be named Poet Laureate, as it was the word "laureate" that eliminated me from the Greater Washington Area Spelling Bee when I was in Junior High, and Champion of my School.  At that time, I was unaware that there was a Silent E at the end, and said merely "l a u r e a t".  However, being made one now proves that I can also Spell it.  (This is a True Story.)

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 03-26-2009 01:56 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

My Fine,Flemish Sister,Has your Memory been in the Beer Barrel,a drink you are so fond of..Because of your memory lapses,you do not recall what our Birth Mother had instilled in us before she was forced to leave the Kingdom?Have the Wizard of Hypnotic Fun,help you recall..I haven't any time for your foolishness,I am going to nap..Oh one more thing my sweet,the brown crinkle paper is part of a puzzle...When it is all spelled out (It will read the big brown bag)hint,hint...then we will leave the kingdom for a Day and I will show you my world....The Finest,the most delicious,anything and everything ..only for you,you will be Pampered Like Never Before...I  am soo sleepy,....Victoria/Veronica
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Giant Pandas

I am sending you this note in complete confidence..I can only trust you..Our Hebrew Uncle Naan,who is now a Buddist Monk,has been very distraught..Your relationship with him in the past must not cloud your vision.he is concerned about my sister,and her schemeing son..My nephew must be cleansed of his evil and Naan can help him..I will be in touch.. I must nap again..i am frightened   I know your trust in me is gone,gone....Nap,nap..VVV
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic

Re: God only knows what

Here ye, here ye! I have finally reached the august rank of Wordsmith.

In other words, can I play, too?

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Raven_Lunatic wrote:

Here ye, here ye! I have finally reached the august rank of Wordsmith.

In other words, can I play, too?

Congradulations!!!  Welcome!!!

Wait till King Ryan returns from his rounds, I am sure he will have many great words for you.

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Wordsmith
silverwings
0 Kudos

I'm glad you've finally made it Raven_Lunatic! Congratulations! :smileywink:
"I'm asleep, but that doesn't mean I'm awake."